UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #14251
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

I think a similar approach could be used on Free for All Zone instead of here, with updaters rating/giving pointers after each update. That way we wouldn't be blurring the lines between adventures and TO, but this is just me. The idea as a whole sounds perfectly reasonable. ;)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #14252
Takeo
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post
I think a similar approach could be used on Free for All Zone instead of here, with updaters rating/giving pointers after each update. That way we wouldn't be blurring the lines between adventures and TO, but this is just me. The idea as a whole sounds perfectly reasonable. ;)
Actually, I had the same thought.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #14253
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In my experience, the people most in need of the help that real live writing workshops offer are the people least inclined to go. Your spare time is precious in general and most students don't fancy the idea of going to what amounts to the Remedial English Club for several hours a week to get help with their syntax and with the organization of their ideas. This is perhaps the greatest problem I'd foresee then with trying to bring a writing workshop back: if you don't force it on the members who need it, well, they're not going to use it; and if you do force it on them, well, they're going to be insulted and quit. The moment FB quits being a fun game and becomes work, people are going to (rightly! ^^; ) question why they're spending time on work here rather than on work they have in the real world.

However, that doesn't mean you guys can't or shouldn't give it a try. There are some members here who would certainly benefit from writing lessons were they to take them.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #14254
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
^And this is what I was talking about.
Was that directed at me?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #14255
Takeo
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
Was that directed at me?
Your feeling of discouragement, to write right now.

Edit:
My biggest problem I have, that I noticed anyway, is yelling out attack orders,
Typically when you write you bring life to the character by bringing past experience's, what you think, or say in real life,
The character is a part of you,
you can't write about being a sniper if you have never held even a gun before,
so yelling attack orders sound's so unnatural.

Last edited by Takeo; 09-16-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #14256
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Your feeling of discouragement, to write right now.
My own fault. I was under the impression that I'd been sticking to the guidelines, then I just kinda get slapped down and told otherwise, it's... eh. My own fault, I know.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #14257
Emp
Volcano Badge

Whilst I think as updaters we really ought to point out when members replies aren’t up to scratch, I don’t think we should be as harsh as some of you are proposing. The 4 line rule should be a given, considering it’s incredibly easy to write out a paragraph on just about any update. Same goes for replying in the correct size and colour (I recently had a go at one of the newer guys for posting in WI with no formatting. I’m not a ZO there but it still gets to me ;;) As for spelling/grammar, I think as long as it’s not too jarring that’s the kind of thing that gets better with practice.

When I started out in FB my writing was terrible. English had never really been my strongpoint, and I was confusing where and were, there and their etc all the time. However when you have a brilliant writer like Tess or Arc updating you like I did, you find yourself putting more effort into replies and your writing gradually improves. I think I got a C in English language at GCSE level, but now at university level I’m gunning for a 1st class degree with creative essay writing being my strongest suit. I completely believe I have Fizzy Bubbles to thank for this - when you're churning out 2,000 word updates a 1,500 word report is a breeze :P I don’t think we should be shunning bad writers, but if it’s obvious they’re putting little to no effort into their replies I think it should be our job to help them improve. For some of the new members (Kaisap, Itza and Gemini to name a few from my group), creative writing seems to come naturally. I think it's fine if it takes others a little longer.

As for updaters writing short updates, I think that’s fine. The 3-4 line length updates will probably be considered half-updates when it comes to rewards. Anything less than that probably won’t count toward rewards so those updaters will be encouraged to flesh out their posts. Updaters are the lifeblood of FB so I don’t think anything that stunts the amount of updates being churned out should be encouraged.

This is just my two cents on the topic at hand.

Last edited by Emp; 09-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #14258
tau
Cascade Badge

^ See, I read very closely the differentiation between half and full updates. I have been posting what are- at least on my screen resolution- posts of longer than four lines, with more than five sentences. I never applied to be a ZA because of the rewards, anyway, I didn't even know they were a thing until I was told after I'd sent my application.

It just irks me that I've been coasting along under the impression that I'm acceptable when I've been apparently trashing the rules, it's... bah! I'm just blabbering on and on about the same thing.

I need to drop it and move on, I know, I do.

Spoiler: show
Just pretty fuckin' embarrassing.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #14259
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
^ See, I read very closely the differentiation between half and full updates. I have been posting what are- at least on my screen resolution- posts of longer than four lines, with more than five sentences. I never applied to be a ZA because of the rewards, anyway, I didn't even know they were a thing until I was told after I'd sent my application.
I've had this same issue - I have a large screen and five long sentences can look like two lines to me. On the other hand, there are probably users to whom the same five sentences look like five lines. The post's length also looks different in the message box as you write it.

(The above, in Preview Post, is less than one and a half lines on my screen, by the way.)

One source says five sentences or more is a full-sized update - the other says four lines is the minimum. It shouldn't come as a surprise that there is some confusion.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #14260
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ramblings of a non-ZA:

I thought updates were supposed to have eight sentences. o.o Where's all this talk of 4 and 5 coming from? Not that I think sentence count matters. Personally, I think there are situations (depending on the nature of the updator and updatee) where this would make perfect sense:
(in a previous post, the updatee suggested they would try to use one of five keys to open a lock. The updator told them they only get three tries before the room fills with water. They picked key #1 of 5 this time and it was wrong, so ...)

You try the first key on the keyring. Damn: it doesn't fit. What now?
I think the short nature of that update helps build the tension and suits the mood. If you write a Tolkien essay for their attempt of one of five keys on a keyring, it's going to be silly. It's like turning 2.8 seconds in the real world into the amount of text you'd use to log 28 minutes' worth. By keeping it so short and concise it's kinda edgey and panicked. It gives a sense that time is running out and F@#$, F@#$, F@#$, F@#$, F@@@@@@@@@@#$!!!!!! To me, that'd be fine. He wrote two sentences this time. And he may write two next time. And two the time after that. But then later on he may write thirty-nine.

What matters (imo) isn't meeting a sentence quota so much as it is telling the appropriate amount that should be told at that juncture. Obviously people may not want FB to degenerate into an AIM chat of sorts, but like, I think that's what the reward system is already there to incentivize. "If you're going to update, we want to incentivize you to write many lengthy updates and we will do so by offering you juicy rewards for them. However, if you absolutely must write a short update, we're not going to take that away from you either: just know that you're not going to get a reward for it. So only do it if you feel as a creator of content that it's the artistically best course of action to take!" You could say, paradoxically, that the rewards system thus hurts true creativity/artistic expression in any case where someone feels like the shorter update works better but man oh man do they want those candies! But like, 1) we don't live in a perfect world where one system fixes everything and 2) I think those scenarios are so rare compared with the ones the current rewards system is there to help incentivize. If someone is a true artist who places the quality of his or her writing before any promise of rewards, he or she will assuredly choose to submit a shorter update whensoever he or she feels it's warranted. And I think that's great and would hate to see that taken away from people.

Those are my 2˘. They may be worth even less than two coppers to you but take 'em for what they're worth, whatever that may be.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #14261
Toyo
hail

Well, I may or may not have my first capture. Most likely not, as it will most certainly backfire horribly upon me, turning the geodude in question into a level 817352678 Golem because of a Pokeball "malfunction." The joys of horrible luck.

And as for the topic of length, I have decided that my posts will be a bare minimum of one paragraph.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #14262
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
I've had this same issue - I have a large screen and five long sentences can look like two lines to me. On the other hand, there are probably users to whom the same five sentences look like five lines. The post's length also looks different in the message box as you write it.

(The above, in Preview Post, is less than one and a half lines on my screen, by the way.)

One source says five sentences or more is a full-sized update - the other says four lines is the minimum. It shouldn't come as a surprise that there is some confusion.
Closer to three full lines on my screen. Doesn't matter though, I fucked up, regardless of intent or understanding or screen size or anything.

Look, doesn't matter either way. I'm gonna re-assess myself and my writing and go from there. Really, really gonna shut up about this now. Sorry again.

-shot-
Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #14263
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Quote:

It just irks me that I've been coasting along under the impression that I'm acceptable when I've been apparently trashing the rules, it's... bah! I'm just blabbering on and on about the same thing.

I need to drop it and move on, I know, I do.

Just pretty fuckin' embarrassing.
Don't be too harsh on yourself, man. It's not like it's some horribly disastrous mistake. You were approved to be ZA, you have what it takes. Short updates are fine. To me they feel more like real-time roleplaying, which has a charm of its own versus slower but more text-saturated adventures. For future reference, a "full" update should contain at least 8 sentences as far as I'm concerned, but I don't see why an update could potentially be slightly shorter given certain circumstances, like, say, going back and forth in dialogue between updatees and NPC's. When going for rapid-fire, this is a perfectly legit reason to post a fast reply that could easily be at least 4, well-structured sentences long, not like that's the only scenario. It depends on content rather than length. Don't focus on writing too much just for the sake of writing. Write what you feel needs to be written, stick to your guns and have confidence in yourself; it will reflect in your writing. Keep doing a good job, and, most importantly, have fun!

EDIT: And I've been reading the whole thing wrong. It's 8 lines rather than sentences, but hey you get the point of what I really mean, right?

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 09-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #14264
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoyo3131 View Post
Well, I may or may not have my first capture. Most likely not, as it will most certainly backfire horribly upon me, turning the geodude in question into a level 817352678 Golem because of a Pokeball "malfunction." The joys of horrible luck.

And as for the topic of length, I have decided that my posts will be a bare minimum of one paragraph.
A PokéBall malfunction turned a Geodude into a Level Bajillion Golem? O_o Too bad you can't successfully capture Level Bajillion Golems. That'd be one heck of a capture!

Bogartey's Lileep used Absorb! It's super effective but only deals 1% HP damage.
Tyoyo's Golem used Tackle! It does normal effectiveness damage but owing to his level IT'S A ONE-HIT KNOCKOUT! Bogartey's Lileep is unable to battle! Tyoyo wins!

All the trainer battles would be yours. All the trainer battles.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #14265
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Ramblings of a non-ZA:

I thought updates were supposed to have eight sentences. o.o Where's all this talk of 4 and 5 coming from? Not that I think sentence count matters. Personally, I think there are situations (depending on the nature of the updator and updatee) where this would make perfect sense:
(in a previous post, the updatee suggested they would try to use one of five keys to open a lock. The updator told them they only get three tries before the room fills with water. They picked key #1 of 5 this time and it was wrong, so ...)

You try the first key on the keyring. Damn: it doesn't fit. What now?
I think the short nature of that update helps build the tension and suits the mood. If you write a Tolkien essay for their attempt of one of five keys on a keyring, it's going to be silly. It's like turning 2.8 seconds in the real world into the amount of text you'd use to log 28 minutes' worth. By keeping it so short and concise it's kinda edgey and panicked. It gives a sense that time is running out and F@#$, F@#$, F@#$, F@#$, F@@@@@@@@@@#$!!!!!! To me, that'd be fine. He wrote two sentences this time. And he may write two next time. And two the time after that. But then later on he may write thirty-nine.

What matters (imo) isn't meeting a sentence quota so much as it is telling the appropriate amount that should be told at that juncture. Obviously people may not want FB to degenerate into an AIM chat of sorts, but like, I think that's what the reward system is already there to incentivize. "If you're going to update, we want to incentivize you to write many lengthy updates and we will do so by offering you juicy rewards for them. However, if you absolutely must write a short update, we're not going to take that away from you either: just know that you're not going to get a reward for it. So only do it if you feel as a creator of content that it's the artistically best course of action to take!" You could say, paradoxically, that the rewards system thus hurts true creativity/artistic expression in any case where someone feels like the shorter update works better but man oh man do they want those candies! But like, 1) we don't live in a perfect world where one system fixes everything and 2) I think those scenarios are so rare compared with the ones the current rewards system is there to help incentivize. If someone is a true artist who places the quality of his or her writing before any promise of rewards, he or she will assuredly choose to submit a shorter update whensoever he or she feels it's warranted. And I think that's great and would hate to see that taken away from people.

Those are my 2˘. They may be worth even less than two coppers to you but take 'em for what they're worth, whatever that may be.
Besides suspension-building, I use short updates to throw the ball to the updatee: how is it back-and-forth writing if the updatee is handed the plans and strategies to everything from battles to puzzles by the ZA? I've found that sometimes the updatee's ideas are better than mine, and since they've come up with the plan of action themselves it's more rewarding for them as well.

As I've mentioned, I'm no Tolkien. Hence why I like rapid fire zones: short, sweet and to the point on top of faster plot progression.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #14266
tau
Cascade Badge

I'm out. I'm done for a few days. Later.

E: I'll update when I get back. Hopefully I'll even manage the bare minimum this time. Wooh.

Last edited by tau; 09-16-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #14267
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
FB Wishlist eh? Here's mine:

1st Tier:
(Male) Solosis

2nd Tier:
Poliwag
Elekid
Bidoof
Spinda
Spoink
Driflloon (Yes I know it's weird since I gave one to Marion, but there's a whole lot of them in my PI adventure right now)
Chatot
Pansear
Tympole
Wooper

3rd Tier:
Sentret
Zigzagoon
Oddish
Shroomish
Volbeat
Darumaka
Drilbur
Scraggy
Farfetch'd

4th Tier:
Togepi
Zangoose
Buizel
Vanillite
Sableye
Venonat
Nidoran M

Heh, I know it's a rather odd list. ^_^

Also, I hope I'm not much of a bother to the updators. I admit, my wordings can get very awkward at times, but I am trying my best!

Last edited by uhhhhh; 09-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #14268
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

While I see Talon's point about there potentially being some circumstances where less than 8 lines might be necessary to build tension, I have yet to run into a circumstance in which writing less than 8 lines would be anything other than cheating my updatee out of storyline/depth.

It's certainly not an easy problem to fix: on the one hand, no one likes being told that they're terrible at something, and being too critical could certainly lead to people quitting FB for various reasons... Hell, takku left just recently because he felt that he wasn't up to the "RP standard" around here, and the way he phrased it suggested a feeling of exclusion for not being "up to par". This is a very bad thing if we want to be a community that fosters RP growth and encourages people to do their best and improve, not simply "adhere to a standard."

That said, if FB becomes too lax or does not enforce length requirements, particularly for ZAs, there's the chance that some will revert to the pre-requirement RPing that used to go on here... I still cringe at the memories of, "I ENTER THE MANSION TO SEE WHAT IS INSIDE. I CHOOSE THE RED DOOR AND GO INSIDE." Yep, that's it. That's all. That was the extent of what I'd receive. Just oodles of fun to work with as an updater, no?

As I said, finding a solution that encourages people to write better without making them feel like utter shit can be difficult. In fact, the only way I could see it working would be to make it mandatory for everyone to participate in writing exercises, and that would be a major pain, I think.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #14269
darkrai
Cascade Badge

*appears*

To those new ZAs who have questions and whatnot:
If you weren't good, you wouldn't have been accepted as ZAs.

*disappears*

EDIT: also, to my Talas group: college starts again tomorrow, so I should be updating more often as of tomorrow xP

Last edited by darkrai; 09-16-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #14270
Takeo
Boulder Badge

Like talon said earlier that would be more of work.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #14271
tau
Cascade Badge

Let me level with you- I'm a fuckin' writer. It's what I do. Do I write 2,000 word posts? No, because in my mind that goes against the spirit of rapid-fire updates. I go for a sweet spot, where it's long enough to drive the story, but short enough that it's not a pain for the updatee to make a timely response without eating into their precious free time from work or school.

In my non-RP writing projects, yes, I spend considerable time and effort on perfecting them. I can and have completely scrapped 100+ page drafts to start from scratch if I think I'm not getting it right. And don't misunderstand me, don't think I'm just posting to a "bare minimum" to scrape by; I'm not, I assure you.

I said that I was following the minimums as I understood them to make sure I was above that. I don't tolerate mediocrity from myself or others, though I admit we all sometimes make mistakes. And I know, I know I'm being too sensitive here, but it legitimately hurts when you're told you're fucking up something you supposedly do.

Writing, both in my real life and in the RP, is a catharsis for me, an escape that I cherish and I love. And to be told that I am failing to uphold the tradition and rules of a place that I respect enough to WANT to go above and beyond for, it stings. Maybe I'm taking it all too personally, but it gets to me on a deep level. That's... I don't know, I'm an idiot. Just how I think.

Last edited by tau; 09-16-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #14272
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
While I see Talon's point about there potentially being some circumstances where less than 8 lines might be necessary to build tension, I have yet to run into a circumstance in which writing less than 8 lines would be anything other than cheating my updatee out of storyline/depth.
What do you think of the room flooding with water example I gave? Do you still think in that example an 8+ sentence reply is appropriate as the updatee fumbles for one key of many, tries it, and it fails? Like, I can write an eight-sentence update for that scenario but I feel I am forcing it and it hurts the update as a work of art rather than helping it:
The room starts to fill with water, steady torrents gushing out of the pipes in the walls. You begin to panic and fumble around for a key on the keyring to try out. Deciding the leftmost key would be the best place to start, you take it between your nervous fingers. It almost slides right out, your sweaty palms coating the smooth metal, but you clench down so hard your nails dig into your palms. It's not going anywhere. You twist your wrist, shove the key into the keyhole aaaaand ... it doesn't fit. A cold pulse of adrenaline courses through your body. The gentle roaring of the water is becoming distracting as it seems to be the last thing you'll ever hear.

What now?
I mean, that works too? ^^; But I don't really care for it as much. It's too ... I dunno, it's too prosaic for such a scenario. ^^; Being an artist is about evoking emotion and expressing ideas imo. In this case, the primary emphasis is on the former for me. I want to evoke tension in the updatee. I want him/her to feel like they could drown. (Though that's kinda hard in FB, much harder than in, say, D&D, given how forgiving FB is about trainer and creature deaths.) I want him/her to feel like there's no time to waste. They don't have time to say "I examine the walls! " or "I dive under the water to look for an escape hatch! " No. This is do or die, find the right key and get out or don't find it and drown. Go go go go go go go go go go go GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's the sort of tension I want to build in such a scenario. And while I myself feel like what's provided above isn't necessarily bad?, it's not ideal to evoking that emotion. Part of that could be my own failings as an inexperienced fiction writer but part of it, I think, is that the almost poetic feel of the eight-sentence variant, with all its adjectives and adverbs and visual descriptions, is calming. The author's not in any rush to get out of here so neither do we have to be. Everything's going to be okay. If my character has enough time to study this room up and down and paint it from memory afterwards then certainly he's got enough time to find the right key of five and escape.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #14273
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
What do you think of the room flooding with water example I gave? Do you still think in that example an 8+ sentence reply is appropriate as the updatee fumbles for one key of many, tries it, and it fails? Like, I can write an eight-sentence update for that scenario but I feel I am forcing it and it hurts the update as a work of art rather than helping it:
The room starts to fill with water, steady torrents gushing out of the pipes in the walls. You begin to panic and fumble around for a key on the keyring to try out. Deciding the leftmost key would be the best place to start, you take it between your nervous fingers. It almost slides right out, your sweaty palms coating the smooth metal, but you clench down so hard your nails dig into your palms. It's not going anywhere. You twist your wrist, shove the key into the keyhole aaaaand ... it doesn't fit. A cold pulse of adrenaline courses through your body. The gentle roaring of the water is becoming distracting as it seems to be the last thing you'll ever hear.

What now?
I mean, that works too? ^^; But I don't really care for it as much. It's too ... I dunno, it's too prosaic for such a scenario. ^^; Being an artist is about evoking emotion and expressing ideas imo. In this case, the primary emphasis is on the former for me. I want to evoke tension in the updatee. I want him/her to feel like they could drown. (Though that's kinda hard in FB, much harder than in, say, D&D, given how forgiving FB is about trainer and creature deaths.) I want him/her to feel like there's no time to waste. They don't have time to say "I examine the walls! " or "I dive under the water to look for an escape hatch! " No. This is do or die, find the right key and get out or don't find it and drown. Go go go go go go go go go go go GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's the sort of tension I want to build in such a scenario. And while I myself feel like what's provided above isn't necessarily bad?, it's not ideal to evoking that emotion. Part of that could be my own failings as an inexperienced fiction writer but part of it, I think, is that the almost poetic feel of the eight-sentence variant, with all its adjectives and adverbs and visual descriptions, is calming. The author's not in any rush to get out of here so neither do we have to be. Everything's going to be okay. If my character has enough time to study this room up and down and paint it from memory afterwards then certainly he's got enough time to find the right key of five and escape.
Personally, I thought that paragraph perfectly evoked the idea of urgency:

A cold pulse of adrenaline courses through your body. The gentle roaring of the water is becoming distracting as it seems to be the last thing you'll ever hear.

This last bit in particular had me imagining what my character would do in such a situation and in what fashion. My body is pumping with adrenaline, and if you've ever had adrenaline *really* pumping through your veins you just know you're not going to carefully inspect up and down for a solution, rather, you're going to scramble furiously for something. It will be GOGOGO mode. I guess that's just me. I like to immerse myself in my character. Wether its a long or a short post I will try to respond in the way I believe would be most appropriate and true to my character. More detail in writing however is always welcome because it helps someone picture the scene better. I like the use of several desciptions here. Water gushing out of pipes. Fumbling and panicking for a key. Picking it up with nervous fingers. The sweaty palm; the desperate, nail-digging clenching. Those all add on to the experience. I can hardly see how it would be more effective without.

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 09-16-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #14274
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's just difference of opinion then. ^_^; Glad I wrote an example you liked, sorry I'm saying that were you my updatee you might not have gotten that update in that particular situation.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #14275
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Let's work with your example, then. Yes, certainly there could be an argument for the short, curt reply, which is that, quite simply, the key doesn't work. Just because you read that two-line reply as being more "urgent" doesn't necessarily mean that's how your updatee will perceive it. Writing is often subjective, and what individuals prefer can vary widely. Also, one may argue that it's part of your own style as a writer to prefer that short, meaningful sentence over an 8-sentence variant; who's to say whether or not one style is better than the other? People may have preferences, but that's not an objective measure of which type of response is better for the situation at hand.

I said myself that I have never found a situation in which a short response would be anything less than cheating my updatee. That may be a reflection of my own style... or even the type of updates that I write.

That said, when considering your example, in real life, your mind process may not immediately go to "it doesn't work..." Is it jamming? Will it not even fit in the hole? If it's jamming, the updatee may try to turn it a few times before coming to that conclusion. You can build tension by describing those feverish attempts at trying to get the key to work before ultimately realizing that this choice was the wrong one. I would see it going more like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Updater
You stare at the five keys in your hand, momentarily paralyzed by the weight of your decision. You know you don't have time to try all five. You don't have time at all. The water's rising. You're heart's pounding. This no time for thinking. Quickly, you pick a key - any key - and shove it into the lock. You take a deep breath, sighing with relief that the key fits into the lock without much problem. As you begin to turn the key, however, any fleeting bit of hope you might have felt vanishes with the jarring tension that seizes your arm. It won't budge. Gritting your teeth, you twist and turn... maybe it's stuck. Maybe a few more tries... a bit more elbow grease, but no. It's not budging. It finally hits you that you picked the wrong key.

A third of the room is now filled with water. No time to feel sorry for yourself. No time to curse your bad luck. Only time enough to pick another key and hope to Arceus that it will work...
It's not any better or worse than either of the replies you wrote. It's just different. Everyone has their own takes on how a situation should go.

:EDIT: Aaaaaaand I was totally ninja'd by Balmund. XD

Last edited by Marion Ette; 09-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out