UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Anyone else here manage to get into any of the beta tests yet?

So far I've rolled a Sith Imperial Agent, and this is basically my take on it:

Certainly it is similar to WoW in many aspects, as are many MMOs these days, but it turns out it wasn't as bad as I'd feared, which was a complete WoW clone but with the Star Wars brand plastered over top. The fourth pillar alone grinds to dust anything WoW could ever pump out in terms of story and plot. The paragon/renegade choices are fantastic and add the traditional BioWare touch to the game (those who have played Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or the previous KOTOR games will understand this), but this offers potential but still personally unconfirmed downside: Having the game begin to turn into more of a single player experience. I suppose some could argue WoW and other MMOs are they same way, but the key difference here is the medium through which the story is told. It's much more personal and cinematic.

Generic quests such as "Collect X amount of _____ from the enemy camp", for example, no longer feel like a chore. They are cleverly masked behind the guise of an important quest that will seemingly advance the story along. And hey, even if not, you may get a cut scene and a paragon/renegade karmic choice.

I think I have more to say, I'm not sure, but that's it in a nutshell so far. I can definitely see this winding up being a definite purchase for me at the rate things are going.

Also, since BioWare has released the restrictions on sharing in game content, I've taken the liberty of recording everything I've done so far. I plan on editing out a fair bit of some of the more boring stuff such as continuous PvE fights for ten minutes at a time and such, maybe adding some slight commentary to it to voice my opinions (I've always wanted to do something like this), and then upload it to YouTube in increments over the course of a week or so, maybe once a day or something like that.

Anyway, official SWTOR thread GO

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I got into Beta testing for this, but then I found out my new computer can't play/download the game... bollocks.

Anyways, huge Star Wars fan, so I might pull out my old computer and try to play the beta on it. Or try to give the beta to one of my friends? Not sure how that works.

This game might actually be enough to get me back into gaming in general... well, this and Skyrim. Never played an MMO before.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The Lord of the Rings in THX.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

Pretty much.

Made my first video in the miniseries, what do

BORKED

yfw you hear my voice:

mfw I hear my voice:

Last edited by deoxys; 11-30-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Your voice sounds great.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Maybe it's just me being unable to tell the difference between some American accents, but you sound exactly the same as like a half dozen different LPers I could mention :p.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I enjoyed your video a lot, VGM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
deoxys
Fog Badge

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated Also, aw shucks Talon, your voice sounds great too, tee hee.

I don't want to hijack the SWTOR thread and turn it into my personal video thread, but yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing I guess, to a degree. Episode 2 is up!

BORKED
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Your voice is pretty hot.

[/totallynotcomingontoyouatall]

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

[/unlessyou'reinterestedinwhichcaseJeriwouldn'tsayno]
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Silver Wind
breezy metallics~

When will we see Episode 3? D:

Spoiler: show

Fizzy Bubbles
° ° ° °
° ° ° °
Silver Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
deoxys
Fog Badge

Thanks Jeri. If I was into men I would LOVE take this a step further. Unfortunately I'm not, but I'll take the compliment as a fantastic form of flattery. It's actually kind of a confidence booster, so thanks!

AY, thanks for the interest. I've been a mixture of busy and also lazy when I haven't been, and I'm sorry! I was thinking that I need to get it up though, and so I'll try and have it up for tonight if nothing else comes up (it shouldn't be a problem).
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by After You View Post
When will we see Episode 3? D:
Something never said with hope about the original Star Wars Episode 3
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Ba-dum-tish
Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #15
Silver Wind
breezy metallics~

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
AY, thanks for the interest. I've been a mixture of busy and also lazy when I haven't been, and I'm sorry! I was thinking that I need to get it up though, and so I'll try and have it up for tonight if nothing else comes up (it shouldn't be a problem).
I'm extremely disappointed you couldn't upload anything tonight!... Nah, take all the time need man. I'll be sure to watch whenever you decide to update, I'm too lazy to search youtube for a playthrough I approve of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
I was wondering who'd be the first bring something up.

Spoiler: show

Fizzy Bubbles
° ° ° °
° ° ° °
Silver Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm having problems with my YouTube account. They apparently don't like the fact that the Star Wars theme is used in the intro video, so unfortunately I'm going to have to take it down and edit it out so I can keep uploading 15+ minute videos. I'm going to try my best to have the re-uploaded ep one up today as well as three and four, depending on how quickly YT acts to get my account back in good standing.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Are you ever going to pick this up again?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
I've been putting off playing this for so long. I was spoiled by Galaxies, really I was. I don't enjoy WoW-style MMO's, which is a large part of why Galaxies appealed to me, and everything I saw leading up to ToR's launch lead me to believe that everything that made Galaxies lovable to me was just gone, forgotten, never to be mentioned again.

With that said, I'm starting to... maybe slightly reconsider? I mean I love Star Wars, the EU included, and at least in an Old Republic setting there's a somewhat viable reason that there are thousands and thousands of Jedi and Sith running around.

At least it seems like the plot progression (if I can call it that?) is handled a bit better than in your typical WoW-type game.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Unfortunately, SWTOR has really been considered a bit of a let down. As early as March people have stated that the population has been dwindling and in June, a news article had quoted one of Bioware's developers saying that they're looking at the Free2Play model as a possibility. The article was quickly pulled down, but it really shows that people just aren't enjoying the game or finish and leave. There have also been lots of reports of mass layoffs.

EA and Bioware have not given us a full account of how many subscribers they have, but players checking themselves say it's at least 344 players on any given server at any given time. Not sure how many servers they have, but that doesn't seem like a whole lot.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Martz
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Martz Send a message via MSN to Martz
I thought it was awesome for the first few hours...then as I created alts, I realized it was the same thing over and over. Rollercoaster MMO that stays with the same questlines for every race or class and just veering off a tiny bit but always staying in the same area. At least with WoW you could pick a completely different starting zone and choose which was you want to level up. SWTOR has very little options after the starting zone. Beautiful, detailed game. Just isn't up par with what WoW is currently offering for being a WoW-Clone even if it was Star Wars.

Galaxies was amazing btw. Bloodfin server FTW.
Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz View Post
Galaxies was amazing btw. Bloodfin server FTW.
Galaxies was legit, hands-down the best MMO I ever played. It left us all too soon.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
Martz
Cascade Badge

They should have made it free-to-play first off, at least for the hardcore players and condensed the servers to like 4 of 5 so we could continue playing.

I know Bloodfin was dead the last time I logged in last September though. That was the problem. There were like 20+ Galaxies and 3 of them had people to play with. I packed all my houses and guild halls and was prepared to move. Then the announcement came out that they were canning it and I just quit entirely.

Wildest, drama filled, fun game I ever played though.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
They should have made it free-to-play first off, at least for the hardcore players and condensed the servers to like 4 of 5 so we could continue playing.

I know Bloodfin was dead the last time I logged in last September though. That was the problem. There were like 20+ Galaxies and 3 of them had people to play with. I packed all my houses and guild halls and was prepared to move. Then the announcement came out that they were canning it and I just quit entirely.

Wildest, drama filled, fun game I ever played though.
I spent the first few months as a militia member in a player-created town on Tat. I had a nice sniper perch to watch the 'town gates' as it were, and things went wonderfully just... kinda chilling and living in the SW universe.

I miss it and it makes me sad and I will probably end up playing TOR anyway, but... I'm going in already lamenting that it's not "Galaxies 2", which I feel is unfair of me. Sigh.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
Martz
Cascade Badge

Oh...I could tell you some stories about tat. I was a rebel pretty much my whole time. Our guild prob had around 2-3 cities. We merged with another rebel guild and they had about 1-2 cities. Said leaders split again with the one turning imp. I just left to avoid the drama and made my own guild but was friends with both leaders...Rebel leader (keeping all of the towns mind you) gave me admin zoning rights to one their towns and access to their teamspeak for my guild. Imp leader gave me access to their TS as well.

So I pretty much quit for a little bit for WoW. Come back around 4-5 months later and still had all access to towns and whatnot. Imp leader being the cooler friend and actually treating it like a game andtreating me like an actual person, wanted to just screw the reb guild. Me, not really losing anything, was like okay (guy was an ass anyway) and we ended up taking one of their tat towns. I pretty much blind sided them because I came out of no where. Turned imp immediately after.

We then spent the evening making alt toons and placing houses on the outskirts of their lok town...which that was hilarious. That was prob some of the most fun I've had in a game before. Not to mention all the sneaky crap we pulled on TS. Sounds so messed up but SWG was a real cival war. People jumped ship like that everyday. Interesting game to say the least.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Oh...I could tell you some stories about tat. I was a rebel pretty much my whole time. Our guild prob had around 2-3 cities. We merged with another rebel guild and they had about 1-2 cities. Said leaders split again with the one turning imp. I just left to avoid the drama and made my own guild but was friends with both leaders...Rebel leader (keeping all of the towns mind you) gave me admin zoning rights to one their towns and access to their teamspeak for my guild. Imp leader gave me access to their TS as well.

So I pretty much quit for a little bit for WoW. Come back around 4-5 months later and still had all access to towns and whatnot. Imp leader being the cooler friend and actually treating it like a game andtreating me like an actual person, wanted to just screw the reb guild. Me, not really losing anything, was like okay (guy was an ass anyway) and we ended up taking one of their tat towns. I pretty much blind sided them because I came out of no where. Turned imp immediately after.

We then spent the evening making alt toons and placing houses on the outskirts of their lok town...which that was hilarious. That was prob some of the most fun I've had in a game before. Not to mention all the sneaky crap we pulled on TS. Sounds so messed up but SWG was a real cival war. People jumped ship like that everyday. Interesting game to say the least.
I was an Imperial loyalist through and through, haha. We'd get the occasional Rebel raiding party coming through, and organize counter-raids and... oh man. Memories are flooding back, this is great.

<3 Galaxies, rest in peace <3

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games