UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Cyprus
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Cyprus
Valkyria Chronicles

I just noticed that Lindz had the game in the "Now Playing" section of their signature, and wondered if anyone else had a take on the game.

I personally haven't gotten very far in the campaign yet, and after getting stuck on a level, it's been shelved for a little while. But besides my frustration with that -one- level, I'm enjoying it so far. The animation style is perfect, and for the first time in a while, I'm actually enjoying the story along with the game.

The only gripe I have with the battle system is that the computer controlled enemies -always- know whether or not they're in range of your teams' gunfire. Very rarely do I get those nice little free shots at enemy players because as soon as they move into range, they end their turn before my people can aim at them. Meanwhile, they get -tons- of little crock shots off as I'm running around trying to position myself correctly.

Finally, it's a very small feature, but it makes me smile, and gives me hope. Two (or possibly all three, I'm not sure.) Skies of Arcadia characters are in the game and ready to be recruited! It's random whether or not you can recruit them after each chapter, but from what I've read everyone eventually has a chance to have them on their squad. I got lucky and picked them up the very first chapter I was able to recruit members. : )

I hope Sega isn't just teasing me, because I have been waiting for a Skies of Arcadia sequel for a loooong time. It's overdue!
Cyprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Wayne
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to Wayne Send a message via MSN to Wayne
Well even though I still didn't buy the full game (waiting for the price to drop to at least $35 >>) I think it looks really nice and I really like the gameplay from the demo.

PC Pokemon
(M) Lv.12 (M) Lv.10 (F) Lv.01 (M) Lv.08 (M) Lv.04 (M) Lv.05
(M) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100 (M) Lv. 100 (F) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100
(F) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100 (M) Lv. 100 (M) Lv.100
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Ya I made it to Chapter 11 early into december but had to basically drop the game since I got really busy in other areas. Now that I've come back to it, it feels even harder then before! But I still love and will still luck/faq my way through to the end (I'm terrible at "strategy"). The game is just reeeeaallllyyy fun and lovable. I hope the anime version starting this spring is good but I have my doubts on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
The only gripe I have with the battle system is that the computer controlled enemies -always- know whether or not they're in range of your teams' gunfire. Very rarely do I get those nice little free shots at enemy players because as soon as they move into range, they end their turn before my people can aim at them. Meanwhile, they get -tons- of little crock shots off as I'm running around trying to position myself correctly.
I haven't noticed this yet but then since I just stumble my way through alot of the game I probably miss alot of things!

Quote:
I hope Sega isn't just teasing me, because I have been waiting for a Skies of Arcadia sequel for a loooong time. It's overdue!
Quote:
1. What games or other materials would you say were inspiration for this game?? What inspired you to put Vyse and Aika in Valkyria Chronicles?

The game’s fundamental story wasn’t really influenced by any other games. The reason for the “Skies of Arcadia” characters appearing had to do with staff like Chief Director Tanaka and Chief Artist Kanazawa and other folks who had worked on “Arcadia” as well. Since we had around 50 soldiers to create for the game, we decided to add them. “Valkyria Chronicles” and “Skies of Arcadia” take place in different worlds, but try not to overthink that too much. Besides, for players unfamiliar with “Arcadia,” they won’t even realize that these characters aren’t just other random soldiers.
I think we all want a Skies sequel but thats probably unlikely now. Heck even a VC sequel is unlikely. Sega Japan said that depended on how well the game did overseas and well.... in the US it only sold roughly 33,000 in its first month and in the EU it hasn't charted particularly well. Its bad for the key Skies team members to be involved with another flop~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Well even though I still didn't buy the full game (waiting for the price to drop to at least $35 >>) I think it looks really nice and I really like the gameplay from the demo.
What, $45 the week after it released wasn't cheap enough for ya? Well with the low sales and low print run, good luck finding it that cheap anytime ever!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games