UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Genesect Pokémon X & Y! [No Spoilers]

Some people (like me) hate spoilers. So let's use this thread to talk about not spoilery stuff.

Is there anyone else out there that is buying a 3DS just for this game? Or is it just me.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I've held out thus far (still rocking my release day original DS) but the 3DS is starting to build up a decent ish library of games (lots of Mario :p) so I will probably pick one up at some point. Will wait to see if they go down in price more, but I do want to experience Gen VI totally fresh and mostly spoiler free (an experience I've never had with a pokemon game - even Gen I, where I knew most gym leaders and pokemon from the show). I know the starter first forms and that's about it, and I intend to keep it that way.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I will probably end up buying a 3DS for Fire Emblem: Awakening and this game.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Some people (like me) hate spoilers. So let's use this thread to talk about not spoilery stuff.

Is there anyone else out there that is buying a 3DS just for this game? Or is it just me.
I'll be getting a 3DS for Gen 6.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I got a 3DS for Christmas, right before the announcement. Now I'm kinda glad I didn't get the car.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Lady Kuno

It is literally impossible to go without spoilers. Literally every sort of website that involves human interaction is fucking flooded with pictures.

I hate everyone.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Yeah if someone posts spoilers in ASB TO I will reserve them a space in a very special circle of hell filled with people who talk loudly in the cinema. Other than that I don't think there's anywhere I venture that I'm likely to see spoilers (don't look at the pokemon or news subforums here, typically, or anywhere outside the ASB on SPPf).
Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I was gonna make a post about no spoilers in the TO, so.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
It is literally impossible to go without spoilers. Literally every sort of website that involves human interaction is fucking flooded with pictures.

I hate everyone.
I woke up today to find out that some dumb little kid had gone and spoiled the recent news in FB's TO, right beneath my own post half-mock threatening half-serious threatening that I would report them to you for a temp ban if they didn't fucking use spoiler tags. Well, Yuki PMs me this morning before I wake up and says "TALON, BE CAREFUL, DON'T GO, THERE'S SPOILERS! @_@" So I'm like, "Phew, crisis averted. Thanks, Yukes. " And then I keep reading my PM inbox, which has like four PMs in it this morning. O_o

2nd PM ... is from {a friend}. And he opens up with a copy-and-pasted memo he sent to his sister, and RIGHT THERE IN THE SECOND LINE OF THE PM is the big spoiler. I close the PM immediately (it was a lengthy, lengthy PM), hoping I've only glimpsed maybe 5% of the spoiler. Little do I realize I've more or less glimpsed 50% of it.

So then I go onto social media this morning and ... this cute artist girl I follow on Twitter? Who is, amongst other reasons, "totes adorbs" [/daisy] because she loves Pokémon? Yeah, she tweets to all her followers her thoughts on said news. -_-;

So like ... I avoided getting hit by a freight train ... only to fall down through a manhole ... AND land in a sewer croc's mouth.

In conclusion, yeah, this is going to prove pretty tough. Even if UPN goes draconian on people's asses and starts banhammering stupid little shits left and right for their probably innocent slips of the tongue, I don't think it's going to help when people PM me or FB/Tweet me the spoiler. -_-; Does that mean I'm going to give up? Far from it. It just means that if this shit continues to happen, I will probably have to take a nine-month hiatus from all social media (easy), UPN (...), Pixiv (*sigh*), and Pokémon resources like Bulbapedia (easy).

The one good thing though is, today's big news isn't really that big or impressive for me. If what was revealed had been, like, ... to give an example, had it been Petilil and Lilligant and Cottonee and Whimsicott? Or to give another example, had it been about Team Magma and Team Plasma, our (then) first-ever non-Team Rocket organization? Then I'd be pretty fucking pissed off right now. But ... perversely thankfully, the spoiler was so "meh " not really satisfactory that I don't care too much about having been spoiled on it.

(spoiler closing comment about the news)
Spoiler: show
If it ends up being a debut Pokémon of an 18th type though and some little fucker spoils that on UPN, BAN HIM, BAN HIM I SAY! [/witch trial] I will be LIVID to be spoiled on that. And you just KNOW that that's the sort of shit that GameFreak can't WAIT to reveal to the press either, to dry and drum up excitement and sales and so forth. Oh man, I'm going to be SO FUCKING PISSED when they do do that instead of just, y'know, shutting the fuck up and leaving it as a surprise for when we all open the games from their plastic wrap in October.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

I know the perils of spoilers all too well, and quite frankly it's nearly impossible to avoid. It can be done for a large part, but you can never truly escape it unless you are more or less internet free.

However, installing Missing E on Tumblr and Chrome extension "In My Words", both word blacklisting tools, can help alleviate a lot of it. Unsubbing from tweet posters and subreddits like /r/pokemon and /r/gaming would be wise as well, even though it blows because there is a lot of non-spoilery content you will still want to see, and 8 months is a long wait...

That said, Kuno, check out missing e if you haven't yet. It has saved me on quite a few occasions with Homestuck and Halo spoilers.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Lady Kuno

The problem with missing e is nobody tags their spoilers.

Also Loki told me that right after I made a separate thread people started using spoiler tags in there. Gee thanks a lot, assholes. Way to use them AFTER I get spoiled and make a new thread in the first place. -_-

PS. I still, and always have, completely hated spoilers with the fiery passion of hell. If you spoil stuff for me I will find where you live and kill you.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You fucker, you seriously just spoiled me on Les Miserables. Fucking hope Kuno does ban you for being a little smartass dipshit. Also: can't wait to make your life Hell and spoil you on everything you ever show an interest in from now on ............. or perhaps I'll just settle for one thing. Look forward to it~! ;D I know I am!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Oh. Um...I failed to anticipate that some people hadn't seen Les Mis yet considering it's been like 2 and a half months. I should have known based on the fact that it's still in theaters here at my home town :/ So sorry.

I love 3 musketeers~ Have you read Count of Monte Cristo yet?

/nonsequitur
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It doesn't fucking matter when it came out, you stupid idiot.

Movies: Star Wars Episode V came out in 1980, but a child of 5 today has likely never seen it. The Godfather came out in 1972. Seen that one yet? Ben Hur, 1959. City Lights, 1931.

Novels: Have you read The Hobbit yet? That was published back in 1937. How about Roots? Published in 1976. What about Brave New World, published in 1932? Or 1984, published in 1949? You've had decades to read all these so surely you won't be fussed if I tell you how these all go!

Theater: Oh joy! Shall we dance back in time to the 1500s with Shakespeare? How about the 1300s with Zeami? Oh, and let's not forget Aeschylus five centuries before Christ!

Arguing that it's been out two months and therefore if you spoil it deliberately and maliciously that you're not to blame is the argument of a fool.

And that PM was only a blind taste of what you're in for. Like I said: I look forward veeeeeeeeery much to you posting about something you're eager to watch or read.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #15
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Clearly you miss the point of an apology. I merely think of spoilers in a different way from you, and I'm sorry for the mistake I made.

Actually, this is turning into less of a non sequitur now, I think. It's pretty important for us to define the term "spoiler" lest a worse mishap happen. (Which that would be the mishap if Javert was a person and not a symbol for blind justice and corrupt law enforcers.)

I did apologize for my mistake, however, for mistake it was, and removed the offending spoiler from the above post. As I said before, not only is Les Mis a very old book, but the movie itself is now a couple months old. Due to its popularity, I had assumed that everyone here who wanted to see it had seen it.

It's often difficult to define a "spoiler" due to the fact that different people react to different information differently. If this thread was a total blockade on new information, it wouldn't have any need to exist; what new information should be deemed "relevant and important" (Starters, as some say, or the gym leaders, or the most radical changes to the game mechanics)? What information is essential to be able to play the game to its fullest without missing out on anything that you might have otherwise been able to do?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You fucking spoiled the end of the book (I can only assume, having not yet read it nor seen the musical). Don't act like that falls under the "I think we need to define what a 'spoiler' is " banner.

AND THEN YOU REPLACE IT WITH THE END OF CITIZEN KANE! Good fucking Christ on twin pogo sticks! That movie is the most boring piece of crap in the world if you know the plot twist already (I can attest to this!) but is said to be one of the most edge-of-your-seat mysteries and one of the most epic plot twists if you don't! And you decide to spoil THAT!? Good lord. It's like you're ASKING to be banned for flagrant disregard for others' right to enjoy art pieces as they were meant to be enjoyed.

But sure, before you run along and edit that entire post down to "I, Shuckle, am the reason we can't have nice things ", I'll dance. What constitutes a "spoiler" for the purposes of this thread? Easy: if you don't know about it right now, whatever it is it is a spoiler. Could be the name of the region (baby spoiler), could be new Pokémon (spoiler), could be plot details (bigger spoiler), could be confirmation of a new type, fusion evolutions, or some other radical change (big spoiler). Big or small, they're all spoilers: they're all something you had no way of knowing about before playing the game were it not for CoroCoro Magazine, which should basically be renamed SpoilSpoil Magazine as far as Pokémon is concerned.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #17
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I really oughtn't keep feeding your rage, but I need to get the one last point in.

EDIT: There is only one spoiler I can think of that would have utterly ruined Les Mis for me, and I am definitely not going to share that one with anyone who hasn't seen the movie/play/read the book. You just got angry because I said "Javert" and you instantly thought it was the be all end all Spoiler of the Year 2012.

I've never seen Citizen Kane. Is it really that bad spoiled?

Last edited by Shuckle; 02-13-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I really oughtn't keep feeding your rage, but I need to get the one last point in.

EDIT: There is only one spoiler I can think of that would have utterly ruined Les Mis for me, and I am definitely not going to share that one with anyone who hasn't seen the movie/play/read the book. You just got angry because I said "Javert" and you instantly thought it was the be all end all Spoiler of the Year 2012.

I've never seen Citizen Kane. Is it really that bad spoiled?
It's quite spectacular if you are a student of history of film (or more specifically the history and science of cinematic technique). Orson Welles may well have been a tad eccentric, but he was a genius and pioneered in Citizen Kane many of the film techniques we all take for granted. I'd link Wikipedia but a) spoilers and b) it's an incomplete list, long though it is! One example I remember and which Wikipedia doesn't make mention of is how Welles would have the camera do IRL-on-set physically impossible things both a) for the sake of the shot as a work of art and b) to give the audience the full illusion that they were really in that location (e.g. a cabin's interior) and not on a sound stage. One example of this is in the scene from Kane's childhood where the camera slowly zooms out from the window towards a table, and the camera keeps inching closer, closer, closer, until finally it cannot possibly have been on wheels for if it were then those wheels should have just now collided with the table! But the trick was that Welles had the stage crew ready to manipulate the table (I forget exactly how; iirc the table simply wasn't there until after the camera-on-wheels made it past the chair, and then the stage hands QUICKLY set the table down). Here, you can see it here: http://youtu.be/HAHaRDlUrLw It's very early on. It's that bit as we pull back from window to desk. You take it for granted! Anyone would! But Welles invented that technique, and it's been an industry staple ever since. Perfectly gives the illusion of really being in the room.

But as far as the plot goes, the entire movie is about a frenzied media scramble to try and decode the meaning of Kane's dying word. One by one they investigate their theories, and one by one they scratch those theories off their lists but get a lead into a new theory. The film famously ends ...

... with the reporters concluding that the mystery will never be cracked, and as they conclude this, you see Kane's personal possessions being tossed into an incinerator one after another ... AND THERE'S HIS BOYHOOD SLED. And it has the word "ROSEBUD" emblazoned on it. This indicates that Kane desired to return to his childhood / that that was the one time in his life he was truly happy.

It's a huge mindfuck (of the most positive kind) if you don't know the spoiler going in; but if you do, the whole film is so dull because you know that every theory is wrong and the rest of the plot (a portrayal of the life of William Randolph Hearst) just isn't all that entertaining. ^^;

EDIT: Yeah, Roger Ebert confirms my recollection about the table technique:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Invisible Furniture Moving. In the early scene in the Kanes's cabin in Colorado, the camera tracks back from a window to a table where Kane's mother is being asked to sign a paper. The camera tracks right through where the table would be, after which it is slipped into place before we can see it. But a hat on the table is still trembling from the move. After she signs the paper, the camera pulls up and follows her as she walks back toward the window. If you look sharply, you can see that she's walking right through where the table was a moment before.
And this is just one of like three or five staples of cinematography that Orson Welles pioneered in Citizen Kane. The film is really a treasure to cinema if for those contributions alone.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-13-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
Lady Kuno

I didn't even look at his post, I just deleted it.

Do you really want to get banned? I'm not joking or teasing or anything. Being a giant dick literally the post after I talk about hating spoilers you go and spoil shit.

So can we go back on topic and not talk about any spoilers now, thanks.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

What the hell is your problem Shuckle? Are you just causing problems and being an asshole for the sake of it now?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

So d'you guys reckon we'll eventually get XY2 or back to the old third version? How did BW2 do saleswise anyway? I kinda hope they go XY2 again, and that they only give us the new pokemon for the main story of XY. That really helped me take to BW.

Last edited by Concept; 02-13-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
So d'you guys reckon we'll eventually get XY2 or back to the old third version? How did BW2 do saleswise anyway? I kinda hope they go XY2 again, and that they only give us the new pokemon for the main story of XY. That really helped me take to BW.
If I recall correctly, BW2's sales were sadly markedly below Emerald's and Platinum's sales. Furthermore, since BW1 had the highest sales figures to date of any Pokémon game, it makes BW2's sales performance look all the worse. Given this, it's incredibly possible that GameFreak and/or Nintendo may have already concluded that the genuine intra-generation sequel doesn't work and that the proper way to follow up on any generation's debut titles is to launch a marginally-improved re-release a few years down the road.

Really, it's a huge, huge shame should that come to pass. Because I don't feel like anyone who's played the game can deny that BW2 is one of the best Pokémon games ever (though I still like my HGSS more ) and that it was a huuuuuuuuuge improvement over the same old, same old practice of releasing a Yellow or an Emerald. I never bought Crystal or Platinum, though I did buy Yellow and Emerald. I likely would never have considered buying BW2 had it simply been BW1 but with improvements to the A.I., Join Avenue, and new GLs and League honchos. But by making it a bonafide sequel with its own story and everything, BW2 was a must-have for any fan. It pretty much was "the sixth game in the series" (going RBY, GSC, RSE, DPPt, BW, and then separately BW2), which is an amazing, amazing thing to have as a Pokémon fan for your third game in a given generation.

tl;dr would love to see them do it again but worry that sales may lead them back to their old practice instead
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Personally, I spotted the pattern right after Gen III where it was Completely New (GenI) > Continuation/Prevos and Evos (GenII) > Completely New (GenIII) > Continuation/Prevos and Evos (GenIV) > Completely New (GenV)

It's not a very clear pattern, though, especially since it only has 5 generations so far. GenVI could so, so easily become the next Unova and say "You must use only GenVI Pokemon here."

Alludes to the official video that some people may or may not have avoided like the plague:
The Eiffel Tower strongly suggests that this is in Europe, probably France, much like Unova was New York albeit with deserts and a weird shape and a giant tree in the middle.
Based on that, perhaps they will do the same thing again. Not that a few of these GenVs weren't good, it's just I really missed using Ttar, Kadabra, Gallade, and Shuckle :/
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
Lady Kuno

By the way this is a no spoiler thread. If you put spoiler tag in here, I will read it because it's not a spoiler thread.

If you spoiled something for me I will murder you. Just letting you know.

A no spoiler thread means no spoilers. Period. That's it.

Comprende?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #25
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Alludes to the official video that some people may or may not have avoided like the plague:
When you say "No spoilers," I assume you are super paranoid about spoilers. Some people might not even watch the stuff Nintendo itself releases. Though...this is somewhat unlikely because that kind of person would probably not want to click on a thread labeled "Pokemon X/Y."

Also, I have to prove I'm not trying to be a dick. So there's that :P

But anyway, the pattern. Considering that this gen could be a continuation of previous gens, with evolutions of stuff and all that, what do you want to see? Which evos do you want to get out of this?

Personally, I'm still gunning for that highly unrealistic Fire/Water steampunk Torkoal evo. I seriously doubt anything that evolves with a stone is going to get a new evo, though...I would have looked forward to a Sunflora, Ninetales, or Delcatty evolution.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News