UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #5451
Talon87
時の彼方へ

All numbers in parentheses are the number of the last episode I saw.

Shows Caught Up On:
Gin no Saji (8)
Shingeki no Kyojin (20)
Dangan Ronpa (9)
Recorder to Randoseru ~ Mi (8)
Hunter x Hunter (93)

Shows Behind On:
Rozen Maiden (8)
Genshiken Nidaime (6)
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya (4)
Servant x Service (7)
Fantasista Doll (5)

Something is very wrong with this picture. Decided to draw up this list upon my astonishing discovery -- seriously, I was astonished! -- that I was not one going on two episodes behind with Genshiken but in fact two going on three episodes behind! What the heck!? Where did the last week go!? I could've sworn I made the Genshiken thread just last Saturday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
So I dunno why I didn't think to check this earlier, but it was announced on August 15 that SHAFT will be animating the Kagerou Project. =D

(Just felt like making a post to celebrate.)
Hopefully that's good news. Keep your fingers crossed!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #5452
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
So I dunno why I didn't think to check this earlier, but it was announced on August 15 that SHAFT will be animating the Kagerou Project. =D

(Just felt like making a post to celebrate.)
No idea what the Kegerou Project is but I'll welcome anything new from Studio Shaft.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #5453
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
No idea what the Kegerou Project is but I'll welcome anything new from Studio Shaft.
See my rant about it here.

P.S. I checked and saw you liked Steins;Gate. Definitely recommend watching the embedded video then. (If Vocaloid isn't your cup of tea, you can strip straight to this chorus version.)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #5454
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:

See my rant about it here.

P.S. I checked and saw you liked Steins;Gate. Definitely recommend watching the embedded video then. (If Vocaloid isn't your cup of tea, you can strip straight to this chorus version.)
I'm a fairly big Hatsune Miku fan so I can't really hate on the video at all. Looks cool, I'm more of a fan of Steins;Gate for the character interactions and the Twists, but that embedded video has a really really dark premise for the two characters.

Spoiler: show
So, we saw that the boy was stuck in that infinite time loop where he couldn't save the girl. So when he jumped in front of the car to save her, and the girl woke up the next day, was she also now stuck in a time loop? So, both characters are stuck in a never-ending chain of misery and despair, will never grow up, and will never live outside of that one day?

Shiyyyyyt
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #5455
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
I'm a fairly big Hatsune Miku fan so I can't really hate on the video at all. Looks cool, I'm more of a fan of Steins;Gate for the character interactions and the Twists, but that embedded video has a really really dark premise for the two characters.

So, we saw that the boy was stuck in that infinite time loop where he couldn't save the girl. So when he jumped in front of the car to save her, and the girl woke up the next day, was she also now stuck in a time loop? So, both characters are stuck in a never-ending chain of misery and despair, will never grow up, and will never live outside of that one day?

Shiyyyyyt
It's implied that both of them were stuck in the time loop from the beginning. Every time the girl died she was trying to save the boy, hence the smile when she got hit by the pole.

(Although the imagery might not be totally accurate since it's a fan-made PV. There is an official one but it's mostly just a still image.)

There's a lot more to the story than that based on the other videos in the series, which are currently being told in a novel/manga format (neither of which are finished). Those aren't even the main characters, and the novel just got to covering those events. But yes, there's certainly a lot of tragedy to the tale, which is part of what makes me look forward to seeing it unfold in the animé - as well as its resolution. There's still plenty stuff that hasn't been explained yet. It also does have a ton of twists (in fact some people complain it has more twists than plot so far XP).
Old 09-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #5456
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

A new VN has been translated! It's called Yumina the Ethereal. While my hopes for it aren't high, it still looks really pretty. Also that (Very long > 50 hours) always has a nice ring to it (even though that equals to my week dieing). I'll get to it when I get to it!

I'm still keeping up with my shows, even though I'm not watching many. Not much to really comment on, to be honest.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #5457
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Here's a something that was introduced to me. It's a chart that illustrates the relative heights of many well-known CVs (female in this one) in today's acting sphere. Faces and names go with the heights!

Is 160 cm tall?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #5458
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I am not sure whether that chart is AWESOME, CREEPY, BOTH, NEITHER, or ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Going with ALL OF THE ABOVE.

*insta-saved* ¬_¬; What? It's a neat chart ...
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #5459
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I have the male one too if people are interested, but it isn't labeled with English translations of the names. In fact, there's only one Japanese name I could read on that chart, and her's was an un-labeled name.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #5460
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post

Is 160 cm tall?
I'm 171 cm myself (5'7'') and at least to me 160 cm is really short.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #5461
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I have the male one too if people are interested, but it isn't labeled with English translations of the names. In fact, there's only one Japanese name I could read on that chart, and her's was an un-labeled name.
I'd actually prefer double raw if you have them. I wouldn't complain about one will ALL the English translations there, but the partial one is just sloppy. I'd rather have the full raw than have the partial.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #5462
deoxys
Fog Badge

Spent the whole weekend with a friend and we watched a lot of anime. Marathoned the entirety of Steins;Gate, tried To LOVE-Ru, started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and Nichijou, and I think that was all...

I have some things I want to say in regards to Steins;Gate, so I'll get around to doing a little write up on my thoughts in its thread at some point soon. I will say, I really don't see how it was the "atrocious" anime Dopple claimed it to be. It definitely had some issues, but dammit, it was a fantastic adventure (also I actually really liked Okabe, Mayuri, and Kurisu). Fufufufufufufu, keikaku doori!

Evangelion is pretty interesting so far. To LOVE-Ru was... well, like Talon warned previous, very obviously aimed at 15-16 year olds and a bit too weird for my tastes. I don't exactly mind ecchi, but the premise was just downright strange and it was pretty clear any semblance of 'plot' was an afterthought and the ecchi was the primary focus.

Nichijou... I don't really know where to begin? Usually 'lol so randum xD' humor leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but the way Nichijou pulls it off is charming and silly, and just feels like all around fun.

Yeah, so... long weekend. We were contemplating trying Silver Spoon but in the end opted for Evangelion instead.

Same friend tried to get me into Claymore and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica a few weeks ago - the first of which was okay, not sure if I should continue and give it more of a chance or not - the second of which was yet another straight up ecchi (but actually attempted to have an 'interesting' plot). Didn't watch either past their second episodes, especially the latter of the two which just left me feeling slightly weirded out and completely uninterested (not to mention the sexism, but whatever)...

Oh, and - I'm thinking I need to look into this Muv-Luv thing you people seem to be absolutely smitten with. I know absolutely nothing about it, but I see it mentioned all the damn time, so I feel like I need to get in on this.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #5463
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I have some things I want to say in regards to Steins;Gate, so I'll get around to doing a little write up on my thoughts in its thread at some point soon. I will say, I really don't see how it was the "atrocious" anime Dopple claimed it to be. It definitely had some issues, but dammit, it was a fantastic adventure (also I actually really liked Okabe, Mayuri, and Kurisu). Fufufufufufufu, keikaku doori!
The only thing people really feel strongly toward are the arse-pull twists and superficial character antics. Said people also confuse these two for actual character development, universe construction and consistent plot logic, with S;G is severely lacking in. As I've said before, it's like the author's main consultant on everything in the story was Wikipedia for all the pop science it invites. It's very much the same as The Big Bang Theory, a show I find painfully obnoxious and more than a little patronizing.

I think as a thriller it's fine, but if it were an action movie thriller like Die Hard I imagine people would have an easier time distinguishing between "plot twist" and "character development".

Quote:
Oh, and - I'm thinking I need to look into this Muv-Luv thing you people seem to be absolutely smitten with. I know absolutely nothing about it, but I see it mentioned all the damn time, so I feel like I need to get in on this.
If you're interested, I recommend watching the Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien and Akane Maniax beforehand. If you're a sadist, Blue Gender would be the final installment to give some context for what you will see in Unlimited+. Muv-Luv itself is similar to Madoka in how it'll twist your expectations into the shape of a Moebius Strip.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #5464
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Monogatari Series episode 9:
Holy shit that was intense. Constantly this series I've been proven wrong about the plot being the weakest part of this series. The plot for this episode was killer this week, really enjoyed the episode all the way through. The atmosphere was very dark throughout, and I'm so glad they brought back that one soundtrack, Ika Kaisou, which is one of my favourite soundtracks today. Really impressed with the series as a whole.

I was originally thinking that because they saved Hachikuji wasn't saved she wouldn't be able to talk to Hanekawa at the start of Nekomonogatari: Shiro which would have some effect on her, and Kaku would burn down the world, essentialy. But I'm much happier with this outcome. I can see Shinobu and Araragi's relationship finally starting to develop from enemies who have occasional banter, to proper friends. I'm hoping we see the older Hachikuji as a survivor or something, maybe from getting lost one day and not getting caught by Vampires. Or even Gaen, since I really want to see her again.

Also that scene where Shinobu and Araragi were sort of skydiving through the air was B.E.A.U-tiful.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #5465
Talon87
時の彼方へ

All numbers in parentheses are the number of the last episode I saw.

Shows Caught Up On:
Dangan Ronpa (9)
Gin no Saji (8)
Hunter x Hunter (94)
Recorder to Randoseru ~ Mi (8)
Rozen Maiden (9)
Shingeki no Kyojin (21)

Shows Behind On:
Genshiken Nidaime (8)
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya (4)
Servant x Service (7)
Fantasista Doll (6)

----------------------

Watched Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21, Hunter x Hunter Episode 94, Rozen Maiden Zurüchspulen Episode 09, Genshiken Nidaime Episode 08, and Fantasista Doll Episode 06 since last post. Still have Ilya, Servant x Service, and a couple more Fantasista Doll and Genshiken episodes to watch.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #5466
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Monogatari Series episode 9:
Holy shit that was intense. Constantly this series I've been proven wrong about the plot being the weakest part of this series. The plot for this episode was killer this week, really enjoyed the episode all the way through. The atmosphere was very dark throughout, and I'm so glad they brought back that one soundtrack, Ika Kaisou, which is one of my favourite soundtracks today. Really impressed with the series as a whole.

I was originally thinking that because they saved Hachikuji wasn't saved she wouldn't be able to talk to Hanekawa at the start of Nekomonogatari: Shiro which would have some effect on her, and Kaku would burn down the world, essentialy. But I'm much happier with this outcome. I can see Shinobu and Araragi's relationship finally starting to develop from enemies who have occasional banter, to proper friends. I'm hoping we see the older Hachikuji as a survivor or something, maybe from getting lost one day and not getting caught by Vampires. Or even Gaen, since I really want to see her again.

Also that scene where Shinobu and Araragi were sort of skydiving through the air was B.E.A.U-tiful.
My favorite part was...

...When they launched the fireworks. Such a sad and beautiful sentiment at the same time.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #5467
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya: watched Episodes 05 and 06 yesterday. They were good! Not perfect, no, but I had fun watching them!

Saber Alter was way too overpowered in this universe ... but then again, that's par for the course, it seems, with Prisma Ilya's villains, as was established with Episode 04's fight against Caster and her final spell that was supposedly so strong it threatened to destroy the entire world. Once you got past Saber Alter's overpoweredness, though, her fights against the little girls and the older girls were each rather fun (and at times exciting!) to watch. Very pretty animation, and never a shortage of surprises.

In the case of Episode 05, I was astonished that the wands went back (even if only temporarily) to Rin and Luvia already. In fact, part of me disliked this development since I worried that this would mean that from now on, whenever Ilya and Miyu couldn't overcome some obstacle, they'd just past the baton to Rin and Luvia and let them deal with it instead. But part of me really quite loved it since I really wanted to see Luvia kick ass and this episode promised, at its tail end, to give me exactly that ... next time.

Episode 06 started off cool enough with Luvia executing a spell so insanely powerful it carved out the Grand Canyon in the Mion River's basin. An overpowered attack once again, sure, but it was fun to see what destructive power the combination of Luvia + Zelretch-created magic wand could pull off. The episode then righted itself when it (admittedly predictably) had Saber survive their attack and (imo less predictably) had Luvia and Rin themselves utterly decimated by her. This plot development addressed my previous concern about the little girls handing the baton to Rin and Luvia from now on forward: it basically said, "No, Talon, don't worry: that's not going to happen." The unfortunate tradeoff for this, of course, was having Ilya deus ex machina-ily pulling off her own overpowered attack, the most overpowered thing we've seen yet. ^^; But the nice caveat there was--

IT.

WAS.

AWESOME!

I never in a million years would have imagined Ilyasviel von Einzbern dressed up like Fifth War Archer and brandishing his swords, his bow, and even (for a brief flash) his Reality Marble. That was cool. And while it was a big cliche to have the heroine find within herself this amazing power that could only be accessed when her life was about to be snuffed out, I still feel that on a meta level this was Prisma Ilya doing things right. It was delicious fanservice for the Fate/stay night fans and it was a nice nod to the cliches of magical girl animes themselves to have Ilya do this.

Backtracking a bit, the part where Ilya seems to lose all hope and is asking where Rin and Luvia are and is like "I wanna go home! ;_;" was well done, I felt. It was something I think we all saw coming from a million miles away -- I'd honestly expected to see it back in Episode 04! -- but I was still impressed by how well it was done.

Skipping back forward, I also liked the scene after the ending credits where Miyu volunteers (or perhaps "fights for the right" might be the better verb choice ) to carry Ilya back home. It was a total bromance sismance scene and I really loved it.

I heard through the grape vine that one of either Episode 07 or 08 is something of a "nothing happens" episode, so I'm a little worried about pressing forward now since we now know that Prisma Ilya isn't afraid to do two-parters where the first part ends in a big cliffhanger. I'd hate for that to be Episode 08 and then I'm stuck on it for a week. But we'll see. I'll probably end up watching 07 and 08 before 09 comes out (NicoNico doesn't count) anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #5468
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

...Now I know why my fake Kagerou Project OP suddenly jumped over 500 views in one day. The last PV is out.

...Godamnit Jin.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #5469
deoxys
Fog Badge

Fairly annoyed that MAL is being DDoS'd and might not be back up for days. I don't really understand the point of DDoSing MAL ...? Unless it's just a bunch of 15 year olds doing it 'for the lulz' or whatever because 'let's fuck with the weeaboos lel'

Sigh
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #5470
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Fairly annoyed that MAL is being DDoS'd and might not be back up for days. I don't really understand the point of DDoSing MAL ...? Unless it's just a bunch of 15 year olds doing it 'for the lulz' or whatever because 'let's fuck with the weeaboos lel'

Sigh
So long as I don't lose my list there, I don't care too too badly. I mean, duh, of course I care on the principle of the matter that it's a terrible thing that shouldn't be happening period! But like, I only update my MAL roughly once a week to once every couple of weeks, so like, it being down isn't really something I notice too much. What I care more about is recalibrating my offline list (the one I've been keeping since my freshman year of college; the one that I was able to pull from to accurately build my dates-accurate list of stuff I'd seen from 2003 on through to 2011 when I made my MAL account). I tend to calibrate the offline document once per season now that I have MAL, which means that if the hackers end up deleting all of our data, I won't have accurate start dates for the Summer 2013 fare, which is kind of an OCD bummer since I like to have the precise start and end dates for my shows.

As for why it's happening, I have no idea. I would assume that it's just bored beginner-level hackers going after what I can only assume is easy prey. I mean, I doubt MAL is any better than a Serebii or a Bulbagarden. It's certainly not going to be a bank, Amazon.com, eBay, et cetera, et cetera ...
Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #5471
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, I've finally gotten to grope the girls in Rewrite. What a hilarious omake end! And with that, I've achieved 100% completion and freed up a lot of space on my PC. Now, it's LOTGH and beyond!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #5472
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wasn't there something else you were going to do once you finished Rewrite? Something I had seen or read?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #5473
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I'll be posting about Genshiken Nidaime properly after I've caught up to the latest episode of Free!. Been somewhat ill, but I swear I'm getting to it! ;o;
Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #5474
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watamote: Watched Episode 09 yesterday.

It was a pretty good episode for this series, and good overall.

Yuu is incredibly pretty. She was rockin' that maid uniform. Even Mokocchi agrees!

The part where Tomoko winds up in a cake factory was just ... omg. I was so horrified that this was going to be how she'd end up spending the rest of her summer vacation. Was sort of relieved that she ended up being selfish enough to quit after only one day. ^^; Very selfish, put her mom in a bad spot, but good lord did that factory look depressing.

I thought the subsequent scene where Tomoko's mother has her clean the house was honestly Watamote at its best, even if it showed Tomoko and her mother at their respective worsts. The entire scene just felt very real. I remember being Tomoko in positions similar to that (though not quite as bad as her). I remember my own sister being in similar positions (again, though, not quite as bad as Tomoko was). It was relatable, it was sad, and it felt pretty darn human.

I was surprised at just how easily Tomoko threw away so many little trinkets. Maybe I'm just too much of a packrat.

The part at the end with Tomoko reading Tomoki's old essay about how he admired his sister was another really solid scene.

Good job this week, Watamote. Good job.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #5475
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Wasn't there something else you were going to do once you finished Rewrite? Something I had seen or read?
I was going to start Grisaia, but I think I'll plow through LOTGH instead. That'll empty my PC of a lot of occupied space.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime