UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Pikachu [DS] POKéMON Black & White

Release: Sep. 18th (JP), Mar. 6th (US), Mar. 4th (EU), Mar. 10th (AU)
Players: 1
Region: Unova
Villians: Team Plasma
Day 1 DLC: Victini

The 5th generation of POKéMON is here and with it lotsa changes, additions, subtractions and so much more. Post about your playthrough & accomplishments, discuss discoveries, rant about what could've been, and so on! It'll be at least four years until the next generation comes around so don't wear yourselves out!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

To start things off~

I gotta say the person in charge of naming PKMN really phoned it in this time. Lilipup & Petilil? Woobat? Repetitive much? Tranquill, Sawk, Throh, Sandile... I could go on. Wayyy to many obvious what they're refering to ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotic111 View Post
Where do you fins the guy/girl who is "someone" from the PC?
Striaton City its the third town I think meaning ya meet her early on.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

She is in the same room as that woman looking for a Munna.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
I gotta say the person in charge of naming PKMN really phoned it in this time.
That's why I nicknamed all my Pokemons.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Some are pretty bad, but Roggenrolla, Purrloin and Tim/Gurdurr were really rather good. A mixed bag for me, like the designs.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
What I like about White:

1. Team Plasma
2. Getting the black dragon Pokemon
3. Gyms in general
4. Increased difficulty at early levels
5. Move reminder guy

What I [still] don't like (changes I expected from older gens)

1. Too much grind, blocking off areas with stronger Pokemon.
2. Decreased difficulty at higher levels
3. Heavy focus on MP material, tough to distinguish between it and SP.
4. Not much way to earn money

What's happened with my play is, I have no team. In RBY, my starter would hog most of the glory but I'd have at least one backup Pokemon (usually of the Abra-Kadabra-Alakazam line) to give some muscle and stability to my line-up. Often, I'd have a third Pokemon to support the duo, so I could experiment with the remaining three slots a bit once I got to higher Pokemon levels. That is, I could catch Pokemon early, and invest in them and they'd stay strong for the rest of the game, allowing me to capture rarer, tougher stronger Pokemon later on without sacrificing versatility.

In White, I only have Serperior. I'm at the eighth Gym and my standard team looks something like-

Serperior Lv. 53
Sigilyph Lv. 28
Throh Lv. 33
Klang Lv.41
Cryogonal Lv.37
Stunfisk Lv. 31

Only Throh has been with my team for a long time, and it's rarely used because it's often KO'd, and is more of a special case kind of Pokemon. Almost all of these Pokemon got to their levels through EXP Share, because I use Serperior to brute force everything. It's to the point that if Serperior gets KO'd, the remaining five Pokemon die very quickly without him.

I recently caught Cryogonal and have high hopes for him and Klang, but their move sets are rather weak, and I don't have much in the way of TM's to teach them good moves. I've spent most of my money on Hyper Potions, TMs and Repels, and am pretty flat broke. I've caught more Pokemon that I ever have because teams seem very situational now, aside from Serperior it's hard to brute force one's way through even the fodder trainers who idle routes.

I haven't really seen any designs that struck me as superior to G1, yet. I haven't seen many bad designs though, usually the anthropoidian-styled Pokemon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Lady Kuno

Grinding sucks, but having a second (or third) high level 'mon really helps. Serperior at 53 means it's at a good level for E4 but everyone else is looking weak as heck. In my White game, I had 5 main Pokemon I used and they were all around 50 by the time I hit the E4.

I used Sigilyph on my team and it was great. Especially since it learned very nice TMs.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Loki

Grinding is an unfortunate part of almost any RPG, especially when the max level is 100. EXP. Share helps close the gap for the second Pokemon and with the new experience system, it is much easier to "catch up" as it were.

I never really buy any kind of HP Medicine except for the drinks (Fresh Water, Soda, and Lemonade) since they were so cost effective and most Pokemon don't have 200 HP until you already have so much expendable money that a few Hyper Potions is no problem. And now that TMs are infinite, money is easier to save than it used to be.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I recognize the cost-efficiency of drinks, but they're not time-efficient because you can only buy one drink at a time. It took me 2 seconds to buy 44 Hyper Potions, but would have taken a loooooong time to get 44 Lemonades.

Kuno, what did you teach your Sigilyph? My current one has-

Shadow Ball
Air Cutter
Light Screen
Psybeam
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
Loki

I don't think I have ever really needed 44 Hyper.... er... ANY Potion/Medicine. Okay, possibly Full Heals.

You really can't single Pokemon brute force through the games anymore since Gen 3 really. And that was mostly because 5 Zizgzagoon's Pick Up allowed for level 50 starters before you reach the first Gym.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was doing a pretty good job up until the eighth gym. I took off all EXP Shares and Serperior gained levels a lot more quickly, but I was barely able to survive Cheren's onslaught with Unfezant and Emboar.

I've reached Level 62 and got Leaf Storm, and realized it sucks, but if I got Contrary it could be broken. Unfortunately, I am never getting Contrary, so I don't know what to do right now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I turned my starter into a HM slave. His attacks were blah, and all he was good for was taking hits my others party mates couldn't take (My team's main weakness at the time was ice.) Thankfully, I chose the water one, so he's a good HM slave.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
Loki

Like I've said from the beginning, Serperior is a tactical Pokemon. Leaf Storm is a very tactical move also. After using it once, your best plan is to switch out to remove the Special Attack penalties. Unfortunately, the extremely low levels of your other Pokemon pretty much makes this their death sentence.

If you are using Coil, keep Leaf Blade as your strong physical Grass attack (with high critical hit rate to boot).
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
James2791
Boulder Badge

Send a message via MSN to James2791
Just finished White tonight...

Through all my playthroughs of past games, I have never used more Hyper Potions/Revives in the E4 + Plasma finale. Seriously bought something like 50 of each, literally used them all oO!

Is it just me, or was the E4 actually pretty tough this time round?

SleepingCelebi - For the awesome signature!

James2791's PASBL Stats
James2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
That's why I nicknamed all my Pokemons.
Every single one? Doesn't that get confusing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Some are pretty bad, but Roggenrolla, Purrloin and Tim/Gurdurr were really rather good. A mixed bag for me, like the designs.
Purrloin fails cause of Purugly... wait it might be the other way around. Purugly is pretty bad itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
What I like about White:

4. Increased difficulty at early levels
Wouldn't difficulty early on be bad since it'd make the game drag right out the gate?

Quote:
What I [still] don't like (changes I expected from older gens)

1. Too much grind, blocking off areas with stronger Pokemon.
3. Heavy focus on MP material, tough to distinguish between it and SP.
4. Not much way to earn money
To much unless ya like grinding ^.^
Reallys? Another strong SP series fallen to stupid MP stuff? ;_;
Ya they took out trainer rebattles didn't they? Thats stupid. Now its back to the old days of grinding E4 for moneys huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I recognize the cost-efficiency of drinks, but they're not time-efficient because you can only buy one drink at a time. It took me 2 seconds to buy 44 Hyper Potions, but would have taken a loooooong time to get 44 Lemonades.
I never get why they didn't learn from Colosseum/XD and let ya buy up to 99 drinks at once as ya want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
You really can't single Pokemon brute force through the games anymore since Gen 3 really.
Ya could in Hg/Ss but you're prolly not counting those right?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Every single one? Doesn't that get confusing??
Nah, just the ones on my team. XD

Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Like I've said from the beginning, Serperior is a tactical Pokemon. Leaf Storm is a very tactical move also. After using it once, your best plan is to switch out to remove the Special Attack penalties. Unfortunately, the extremely low levels of your other Pokemon pretty much makes this their death sentence.

If you are using Coil, keep Leaf Blade as your strong physical Grass attack (with high critical hit rate to boot).
So is Serperior inferior to Sceptile in every possible way?

Quote:
Wouldn't difficulty early on be bad since it'd make the game drag right out the gate?
No, it forced me to do something I normally don't do - go out and hunt different Pokemon. I couldn't beat the Normal Gym with a brute force Servine, so I had to go and hunt Fighting Pokemon to do it. Even then, and with later Gyms that stocked Pokemon with types that covered resistance (Water/Ground) it required a bit more planning and team versatility. Though I ended up relying on my starter more often than not.

Quote:
To much unless ya like grinding ^.^
Reallys? Another strong SP series fallen to stupid MP stuff? ;_;
Ya they took out trainer rebattles didn't they? Thats stupid. Now its back to the old days of grinding E4 for moneys huh?
What re-battles? o.o

And the SP is basically the same as prior Pokemon games. Honestly, I was expecting the games to be drastically different, but for me it's like playing Japanese mahjong versus Hong Kong style - more rules, more ways to win, but more ways to lose. It's a lot more unpredictable and I like that aspect.

The MP stuff bothered me because some of it was mandatory, and it's confusing as to how it plays into the plot. The Dream World stuff, for example, was mandatory to the SP campaign but is optional after that. Same thing with the C-Gear stuff. When that material is presented in the SP campaign, it makes me think it's part of it, so I don't know what to do. The surveys were an optional version of this, I think. I still don't know what's up with that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>So is Serperior inferior to Sceptile in every possible way?

It's a lot more Defensive. Aside from that and Contrary, it doesn't have much over it. It's movepool is pretty poor too in comparison.

>What re-battles? o.o

VS. Seeker in Gen III/IV games lets you battle trainers you've fought before, and they improve in level each time. A trainer who had two Lv. 15 Pokémon when you first battled them may well have four Lv. 50~ after several VS. Seeker uses.

Also in Emerald and Platinum (and sort of in HGSS) you could rebattle Gym Leaders, who had more advanced teams. Not sure why they've done away with that... again.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Also in Emerald and Platinum (and sort of in HGSS) you could rebattle Gym Leaders, who had more advanced teams. Not sure why they've done away with that... again.
The way you've written this is a little misleading. You've made it sound like Emerald supported the feature fully while HGSS only supported it partially when it's the other way around. In Emerald, you could only rebattle the gym leaders five times. It was because of this that I never rebattled them more than once each. Same logic as never using TMs or never eating one's Halloween candy: hoarding the potential treasure indefinitely. Then in Platinum, they improved the formula by allowing you to fight four a day for as many days as you like, but only just those four per day. Also, you had no idea who you'd get to fight. But finally in HGSS, you were allowed infinite rebattles with the gym leaders both in the short and long term. A (the long term), there's no upper cap on how many times a specific gym leader can be fought. B (the short term), within the 8-hour window that the Gym Leader is callable via cell phone PokéGear, you can fight them as many times back-to-back as you like. This was a huge improvement over earlier implementations of Gym Rematches, and it's sad to see that GameFreak thinks so lightly of it that they completely forgot about it for B/W. That, or they deliberately omitted it so that people'd have a reason to buy Gray again when it rolls around. (A bit of a conspiracy theory, sure, but it makes sense given that they made the exact same flub with Diamond and Pearl and one wouldn't think they'd forget again.)

To give credit where credit is due, Emerald's feature was ground-breaking. We hadn't ever before had the ability to rebattle Gym Leaders. Gen II introduced rematches with people who called you up, and 3rd Gen definitely ran with the idea, bolstering the phonecallers' teams in both quantity and quality. And so sure, Emerald came along and combined the ancient fan request for gym rematches with the existing idea of meatier, more populated rematch teams. But it only did so much, and so much seems like so little when you look next to Platinum and then HGSS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
So is Serperior inferior to Sceptile in every possible way?
Story Mode-wise, comparing 3rd Gen Sceptile with 5th Gen Serperior, I guess I'd say it depends but I think ultimately Coil tips the scales in favor of Serperior. Competitively, comparing 3rd Gen Sceptile with 5th Gen Serperior, the two fill very different niches. I suppose Serperior could SubSeed the way Sceptile did, but an important question would be "Why would you want to? " when there are better SubSeeders (like Whimsicott) and when Dream World Serperior begs to be used as a Leaf Storm spammer and not a SubSeeder?

To be perfectly honest, the same questions thrown back in Sceptile's face are a large part of the reason why pages like this are littered with "well back in the Advance generation ...! *ramble ramble*" apologies left and right. And why I had to preface "3rd Gen Sceptile vs. 5th Gen Serperior." The physical/special split left Sceptile pretty devastated: nearly all of the moves he learns, be it by leveling up, by TMs, or by breeding, are physical moves. Unfortunately, he was designed back when grass still meant Special Attack stat and so Sceptile's a dude with a bum attack of 85 and an okay special attack of 105. It'd be more than "okay" if he could do more with it, but only having STAB Grass attacks to spew out of it makes it a pretty unappealing value. Kinda the reason he became Mr. SubSeed in Gen 3 in the first place. ^^;

Last edited by Talon87; 03-13-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
Selena
Aroma Lady

Swords dance Sceptile can be prett good, but you'll be relying on a surprise factor (unlike hustle Kiss). But don't rule out Sceptiles special movepool, it doesn't have much but gigadrain, HP (ice/fire), leafstorm and failblast are all you need.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Loki

In addition, Sceptile has had three generations to build up it's moves while Serperior is a brand new baby. In Ruby/Sapphire alone, Sceptile was often criticized for it's lackluster movepool. Then they made Fire Red/Leaf Green and the new move tutors made it better. Then they made Emerald and added even more. Then they made Gen4 and it got a plethora of moves and is considered a versatile threat.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gonna play for thirty more minutes before I go back to the study grind.

Some questions, for when I try to breed Serperior (also, I've found the Pokemon I was looking for - Axew, but where it's located is completely out of the way):

1. Shouldn't the ultimate goal of breeding and battling be to maximize EVs and IVs? Why would one want sub-optimal ones?
2. Do hatched Pokemon only learn moves through the father?
3. Is there a way to expedite the breeding process (instead of just wandering around for a while)?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Sceptile

When I tailed off playing competetively (last summer), I ran SDtile, SpecsTile, and LOtile. Being able to best most of the metagame with blinding speed and SE moves (Focus Blast, Leaf Storm, HP Fire, Dragon Pulse) with good Sp.Atk was a huge boon, and people only started running that latter set late on when people started thinking "Hey... maybe we shouldn't have unbanned Latias after all!"

>Do hatched Pokemon only learn moves through the father?

Egg moves that they're compatible with and any TMs/HMs that they can learn are passed down through the father, yes. Though with TMs being infinate re-use in BW, that's less appealing

>Is there a way to expedite the breeding process (instead of just wandering around for a while)?

Bike, long straight route you can cycle up and down. Also if you have a Pokémon with the Flame Body or Magma Armour ability in your party, it halves the amount of steps needed to hatch them.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
Lady Kuno

The bridges were made for breeders lol.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #25
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
The bridges were made for breeders lol.
Yeah, I just wish the Skyarrow Bridge cam didn't go all freaky every time you go up and down

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON