UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #26
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

People would buy the controller if it was $150, but only if they were hardcore Valve fans and the controller was really good. There are people out there who buy controllers that expensive all the time.

Valve is making this a huge part of their living room push, though, so I'd be surprised to see a price over $50.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, yeah, but I tend to remove the hardcore fans from calculations because they're generally a given. :P

/WorstOpinion
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I remember there being a MechWarrior game for the original XBox which sold with a custom controller for $200. I can't seem to find that game and controller right now when Googling, but I did find Capcom's Steel Batallion, selling on Amazon for $600 (though only because it's no longer manufactured, of course; original price would have been much lower). Most people seem to offer the game and controller on eBay for around $270 which would fit with my memories of the $200-to-$250 MechWarrior game+controller bundle.

That stated, these are obviously niche products sold to a miniscule market. They're not the sort of thing intended for sale to nor ability to be sold to the mass market. 99% of gamers will pass -- and did pass -- on the MechWarrior et al games and their controllers. While the number may not be 99%, it'd probably be something close to 90% if Valve tried to sell a controller for a stand-alone price of $150.

Someone remind me how much Wii U gamepads cost though. Don't they run you over $100? Yeah, a quick eBay search seems to suggest $150 or more for one of those. And I'm sure people buy them, so ... *shrug*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

That's a good point, Talon, though it's worth noting that Wii U gamepads are designed to be 1-per-system, with the other controllers used being Wiimotes (and, unless I'm mistaken, the system generally comes with the one you need?). Obviously this has no relevance on the guy playing singleplayer games by himself or online, but it's still an aspect of the market that could affect pricing.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #30
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Yeah, pretty sure Wii U doesn't even support two gamepads right now. You get one when you buy the system.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #31
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yes, Steel Battalion was something I mentioned to you not too long ago in a discussion we had, although I don't know why it came up. And yeah, at launch it was a $200 40 button controller, pedals, and dual joystick controls.

The difference being is that Steel Battalion was pretty much a unique experience that fit the niche market as you explained, but the Valve Controller would likely end up being used by a lot of games. The uniqueness of Steel Battalion is lost when you are look at what should be a $150 generic controller. (Assuming that is the price tag)
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Yes, Steel Battalion was something I mentioned to you not too long ago in a discussion we had, although I don't know why it came up. And yeah, at launch it was a $200 40 button controller, pedals, and dual joystick controls.
You make it sound like you're the one who introduced me to this notion of a $200 controller for MechWarrior games. I'm going to tell you right now that I've known about these games since no later than 2003 -- because I had a friend in high school who went and bought the MechWarrior one.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #33
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Left 4 Dead 2 is free on Steam for the next four hours or so.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games