UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
Nothing wrong with Let's Play videos, but I don't think people should rely on them as income. If people want to upload game footage, they should do it because they like the game, not because they think they'll get rich off of it.

This won't kill Let's Play videos. It'll only cut out the insincere ones.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #27
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I'll throw in my two cents on this issue. For the record, I have made Let's Plays on Youtube for years and haven't been paid a single cent (and I've never asked to be paid, either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepie View Post
While I understand Nintendo's thinking, they are 100% wrong in this situation. People will just stop making Let's play videos for Nintendo products all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
If its truly for the love of the product the lper oughta have no qualms with not getting paid for it! Remember how alot of fansites need ad/donations just to stay up not even to make money? Same thing! That's doing it for the love of whatever you're covering!
I have made LPs with Nintendo games without getting paid and I've been perfectly fine with that. I love the games I LP, I want to show them off, perhaps give tips on how to beat it. That's the gist of it. I'm not planning on quitting making LPs of Nintendo games because of this - hell, if this gives Nintendo the money to make new and better games, then they can go right ahead!

LPs didn't start as a way to make money. When slowbeef put together video game footage and his own commentary, he didn't do it for the money, he just did it for other people's entertainment. ChipCheezum Let's Plays Metal Gear Solid games out of his insane love and obsession with the series (and the enthusiasm caught on, I bought the MGS HD Collection because of his Let's Plays). If Dangan Ronpa games get released outside Japan, it'll most likely be because of the Let's Play by orenronen on Something Awful. They all try to provide the best quality videos and images they can.

Now, from what I've seen, most of the big LP-moneymakers haven't played Nintendo games much even before this announcement. Just flash games, Minecraft and games that are either free online or played by massive numbers of people, like CoD and such. Is this really such a big loss?

You can tell when a video is made solely to make money. Why else would we have Let's Play Happy Wheels Part x,xxx? Would these LPs even exist if they didn't bring in the cash for PewDiePie and Tobuscus and all the other golddigger LPers?

This video is a retsupurae-commentary on a video made by someone who makes the videos for a living; on multiple channels, no less. You don't make a video like this if you love the game and sincerely want to share the enjoyment - not even when you want to make fun of it! The Retsupuraes are the only good thing coming out of it. If Let's Players like the person in question said "I won't make LPs of Nintendo games because they won't let me get money from it", my reply would be "THANK FLUFFING CHRIST, NINTENDO SAVED US FROM MORE OF THIS GARBAGE". I'm pretty sure this'll help clean out the bad LPs made by golddiggers (we can thank PewDiePie for that, he's all over the place about how he quit college to make Let's Plays and live off those Happy Wheels LPs) and leave room for the sincere LPers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
- Nintendo did not put out a ban on lps of their games.
- Nintendo did not have google wipe all non-official/non-partnered instances of videos of their games from youtube.
- People can continue uploading as many Nintendo game lp videos as they have been doing all along.

What'd Nintendo (and others that we don't yet know about) do wrong here? The only people potentially stopping this free "advertising" now are the lpers themselves. They can keep on trucking cause they really do enjoy the games and/or attention or stop and throw a hissy fit over money they weren't supposed ta be making in the first place.
All of this is correct. Nintendo hasn't banned LPs of their games. If you stop making LPs of their games just because you don't get that 0.000002 cents per view, you weren't sincerely Let's Playing for the sake of the games in the first place.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

I remembered seeing a video about this by one of the LP people I'm subscribed too (but not watching at the minute as none of their series appeal to me, although I did give watching the games a try), the day before this thread was made actually. They put their thoughts across fairly on the topic and made a point that I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread yet. And, that's the impact of the third-party content claims.

This LPer would be happy to continue their Nintendo LP, currently Luigi's Mansion 2, regardless of what happens to the money. However, the third-party claims that would appear because of this can affect their channel, even damaging what cash they might earn from completely unrelated videos. Add into that the fact that most networks don't approve of people having these claims, meaning that it can affect the contracts that people hold. Plus, any little changes in Nintendo's T&C could cause these people to receive strikes on their channels or even lose the channel altogether.

The move just seems to have left people in a very uncertain position when it comes to Nintendo games and their channel. I know it's just my thought, but if I'd put well over a year into a channel that was growing steadily (like the person who made the video), I wouldn't want to see that channels standing washed down the drain because of one game.

Spoiler: show
PASBL: TL3, 15W/8L/1D, 42 KO's, 95TP, 14.75 SP.

*Certified Ref. Grade: B-*

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2
Yougirasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Doesn't address the fact that the LPer made money on something that wasn't theirs. I'm of the opinion that they should have had separate channels if they intended to use copyrighted works. Also, I doubt Nintendo would litigate against "third party claims."
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I don't know that it's a question of litigation as much as it is YouTube slapping a channel ban on the user for copyright infringement or something like that. It's been known to happen even if the infringement is borderline or questionable because of the automated nature of the system.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #31
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

That's still on Youtube though, not on Nintendo.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games