UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #776
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Talon's journeys have successfully kicked my ass into gear. Started playing W2 last night, spent a chunk of the day hanging out at Flocessy Ranch and drooling over the amount of variety in Pokemon offered right at the start of the game. THIS is what I'm talking about! Being limited between 2-4 Pokemon at the start as past games have done is just obnoxious, especially when you don't particularly like any of them. Here we have somewhere around 10 choices right from the get go, and most of them are actually GOOD. I suppose that's what happens when you have some ~650 or so Pokemon now. I guess I can expect the routes here on out to be littered with a wide variety of 'mon to catch, which I'm more than looking forward to.

I still feel conflicted though because, while kind of cheating, I really want to do a monotype run right from the start as opposed to building it out slowly as the game progresses. And it doesn't help that the type I want to do is Ghost, which is one of the most obscure types to find, not to mention they don't come along for a while. So shoudl I choose to do a monotype run after all, I can either a. Beat the first gym and send eggs over from White 1 or b. Wait until I get ghosts then rely on the ones I catch and only them.

I don't know if I should even do it. It sounds so tasking, especially given that I'd be limited to Gen 5 ghosts only from White 1 given I technically haven't beaten the Elite 4 and I can't trade from HGSS. Pretty annoyed by how restricted they make it for you to get the Pokemon you want if you already own them in another game. I understand WHY they do it, but I wish there was a better way to restrict what you can and can't send over. Seriously, all I want is a baby Gastly, Misdreavus, Drifloon, and maybe a Duskull or a Rotom. Is that too much to ask?
You should play however makes you happiest. That stated, most people usually try and do monotype runs to spice up a generation that has otherwise grown stale or become outdated; when a generation is still fresh (as Generation 5 should still be for you, I gather from your posts), there shouldn't really be any need to do this ... unless Pokémon overall has gotten stale for you, in which case, okay then, do whatever you have to do to keep the patient alive, I guess. ^_^;

An honest Ghost monotype run in BW2 is pretty much impossible though. A, you'd have to hack in or trade over at least one ghost because the very first ghost you can meet in the wild doesn't turn up until after Gym 3. B, that first ghost ... is a Yamask, Gen 5's attempt at creating a Ghost-type wall. (Think Umbreon in Pokémon Colosseum. Is this really how you want to go through Story Mode? ^^; "I dealt 10 HP damage! :'D") C, I still have yet to run into a second Ghost type and I'm already about to head on in to Chargestone Cavern (which is post-Gym 5).

A more feasible monotype run in BW2 would probably be Water. You get the starter (Oshawott), you get the second partner very early (Azurill, who despite being Normal type is going to count towards this because COME ON ), and while I don't recall having gotten a fishing rod yet myself? ^^; , that may simply be because I missed it or I have it and have forgotten about it. Another feasible monotype run would be Grass. You get the starter (Snivy), you get the second partner incredibly early (Sewaddle), and you get the third and fourth partners pretty early too (Petilil/Cottonee in the wild and Cottonee/Petilil by NPC trade). But I imagine that Grass's being weak to five different common elements could mean sad times for a Grass monotype run. Finally, there's of course Normal. You have Patrat and Lillipup immediately, you add in Audino soon enough, Dunsparce is technically available early (or so the PokéDex claims *shrug*), and there's Rattata and {a certain surprise?} and Buneary and such awaiting you in the third gym city. Oh, and of course the Normal/Flying Pidove cheats his way in. (I swear, I think of no birds as Normal for the purposes of a monotype run! )
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #777
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sure it's more feasible, especially given I picked Oshawott (again, ugh) and already have three water types, but I honestly have no interest in doing a monotype run unless it's ghost. I know that sounds silly, but ghost is my favorite type and I just don't feel that way about any other type enough to warrant doing a whole run based around them.

That's a shame. Pokemon hasn't gotten stale for me, but I'd rather build a team for once that I personally like from the Pokemon I most enjoy rather than just compose it of whatever I run into in the wild and hope for the best along the way as per usual. I know that basically goes against everything that IS Pokemon, but I'd like to switch it up for a change, and I see no better opportunity than to try it in BW2 on my first run.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #778
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'd rather build a team for once that I personally like from the Pokemon I most enjoy rather than just compose it of whatever I run into in the wild and hope for the best along the way as per usual. I know that basically goes against everything that IS Pokemon, but I'd like to switch it up for a change, and I see no better opportunity than to try it in BW2 on my first run.
Along the lines of "you make it sound like ..." that you fired at Kush with, I'll fire back with one of my own. You make it sound like I'm not playing White 2 right now with my personal favorites. No, while these Pokémon aren't all exactly my #1, #2, #3 favorites of all time or something, they are Pokémon I really like and have always wanted to raise. In fact, what'd be more stale than anything would be to play Story Mode again and again with my competitive team. But what my White 2 team is instead is ...
  • Level 35 Dewott
  • Level 35 Leavanny
  • Level 34 Minccino
  • Level 33 Electabuzz
That's it. I quite literally have two open slots on the team right now. Slot #5 was only recently vacated (and I felt a little bad doing it ^^; ) when I deposited Hayakaze the Level 22 Lucario into my PC. He just ... wasn't ever getting used. I never needed to use him, and more importantly I never wanted to use him. That, combined with the wake-up call that his level was over 10 levels lower than his nearest neighbor's, told me it was time to put him in the PC.

So let's look at these four in turn, shall we?
  • Dewott: oh, Oshawott line. Anyone who's been around on UPN long enough to remember knows how venomously I railed against this line when the design was first unveiled. To this day, I do still sort of stand behind Past Talon's sentiments on the "snowglobe head Peppermint Patty" otter starter. But for the most part, Oshawott's is a classic rags-to-riches story. And it's pretty much single-handedly thanks to the anime. In a series that was so plagued by bland personalities in all that I saw of Sinnoh, Oshawott jumped out in Best Wishes as the third most personality-filled non-Pikachu Ashmon of all time. Some will even rank him higher than this. But I'd say it goes something along the lines of Charizard >= Chikorita > Oshawott. The guy is just brimming with personality, making him one of Ash's most memorable Pokémon of all time. By giving the character such a gift, the writers basically converted me from an Oshawott hater to an Oshawott lover. So there's that one.
  • Leavanny: I've always loved Sewaddle ever since I first saw the design, but the unappealing Bug/Grass typing (that 4x weakness to Fire @_@) and superior Grass choices in Lilligant and Whimsicott made me give the sewing bug line a pass in White 1. In part because of this (didn't want to reinvent the wheel with Lilligant) and in part because of Daisy showing me (both in casual Pokémon-Online as well as in her Bug monotype team for Lonely Cubone's monotype tournament) that Leavanny could kick serious ass, I decided I wanted to have one of my very own. I've since found out that Join Avenue isn't quite what I thought it would be, so I do sort of regret not EV training this gal properly during Story Mode, but that's okay -- she's still kicking ass and currently has the highest Speed and Attack stats of anyone on my team. I love her.
  • Minccino: my #1 favorite Gen 5 design. And that's saying something given how much I love Petilil, Galvantula, Litwick, and a host of others. But no, Cinccino is perhaps my #1 favorite Gen 5 mon of them all, and I've always wanted to have one. How could I say no to a chance to own my very own female Jolly Skill Link Cinccino? I couldn't. God I love this girl. Only reason I haven't evolved her yet is because I made a promise to myself to not evolve her until we reach Skyla. I wanted to at least build up some memories of time with her as a Minccino.
  • Electabuzz: I've never much cared for this line, but ever since GameFreak unveiled Electivire in Diamond and Pearl, I've always wanted one. Not an Elekid or an Electabuzz: just an Electivire. In the six years since then, I've warmed up a bit more to Elekid but I still really don't care for Electabuzz's design. So why is he here then? What did I say: I've always wanted an Electivire. And the thing is, I never got around to making one before. So I decided "Why not?" and decided to make one here, now, in Gen 5 while playing White 2. As with Leavanny, I really do regret not properly EV training this guy now that I know the truth about how unruly Join Avenue can be -- far too expensive per use and limited to only one use a day -- but just like with Leavanny I'm finding that Electabuzz is doing just fine. He has the second highest Attack on the team and either the second or third highest Speed. He hits hard as a 'Buzz and I can't wait to see how hard he hits as a 'Vire. As with Minccino, I made myself promise not evolve him out of being an Electabuzz too quickly. I basically said "If you get an Electrizer by Level 36, you may evolve him at 36 but not before. If you haven't gotten one by Level 40, you may ask a friend to trade you one so you can evolve him now." I don't want Electabuzz to be the guy I take with me to the League: I want it to be Electivire. But that stated, I'm not going to rush Shingen's "teenage years": I'm perfectly happy to let him remain an Electabuzz for a little while longer for the sake of headcanon.
Granted, YMMV. I'm not saying that just because I found four Pokémon who I really love and knew I wanted to raise before I even caught them that you have to too. I respect that for you the circumstances may be a bit different. But still, I do kinda have my doubts that they could be so different as to mean that you've got absolutely nobody in the first five routes and three towns who you want to take with you to the Pokémon League. You've already raised in the past and/or have no special love for all of the following?
  • Azumarill
  • Ampharos
  • Stoutland
  • Lucario
  • Arcanine
  • Magmortar
  • Electivire
  • Weezing
These guys(' pre-evolutions) are all acquirable before you have to challenge Gym 2. You seriously don't care for any of these?

Last edited by Talon87; 08-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #779
deoxys
Fog Badge

That's not at all what I said. I don't have the time to go into this right now, I was just saying I would like to make my own team on my own terms more or less, and it so happens I would like to do that as a Ghost type team.

Arcanine and Ampharos are among my top 10 favorites, so...
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #780
Mercutio
Banned

Could one conceivably make a good team prior to the first Gym without using any of the starters? Because man do I not care for any of the Gen V starters.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #781
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Could one conceivably make a good team prior to the first Gym without using any of the starters? Because man do I not care for any of the Gen V starters.
Yeah, you can make a pretty good team.

Riolu.
Sewaddle.
Mareep.
Lillipup
Azurill
Pidove
Old 08-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #782
Mercutio
Banned

Hmm. I super hate the Pidove line, but I could make that work I imagine. Riolu, Azurill and Mareep would be enough.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #783
Red Panda
head head bitch

I have yet to buy Black or White 2, but I'm not sure what to do for early game. Snivy is easily my favorite of the starters, but I'm in Talon's boat in that I believe that Leavanny is fucking awesome. I don't want both on the same team, but I really don't like Oshawott, and there is no way I'm getting Ganonpork.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #784
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Eh, Leavanny's part bug, you could run them on the same team if you really want.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #785
Red Panda
head head bitch

I don't want to for the same reason Talon didn't want Lilligant and Leavanny. I'll just suck it up and use Oshawott. At least Dewott looks epic.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #786
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

If you like Dewott but not Samurott, you could always keep them as a Dewott if you want, perhaps with an Eviolite.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #787
Red Panda
head head bitch

Yeah I for one greatly dislike Samurott's appearance. But Dewott misses out on Megahorn which isn't nice.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #788
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Eh,you could always run a set of Surf/Revenge/Ice/AquaJet. Should deal with everything ingame nicely, especially since Revenge and Aqua Jet take advantage of and deal with the fact that an Eviolite Dewott would be even slower than Samurott.
Quote:
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #789
Red Panda
head head bitch

True. Once I get the game I'll probably do that. Thanks for the idea
Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #790
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So White 2 totally takes a jab at Smogon. I didn't jot down Ace Trainer Shaye's before-battle text but it went something like this:
Quote:
I used a PC to find the ultimate Pokémon. I'm sure to win!
After you beat him and return to the map, he says:
Quote:
What I found on the PC was just someone else's idea and not an answer that I had come up with myself ...
Not exactly the most philosophically robust argument against Smogon -- try applying this argument to all of math and science and see how far it takes you -- but a jab all the same.

(If you want to see the trainer for yourself, his name is Shaye, he has an Archen and an Electabuzz, and he's near the very end of your Chargestone Cavern exploration, on the lowest level floor whose entrance is nearest to the cave's Mistralton-side exit. From what I found online he may be a White 2 exclusive, so don't freak out if you're playing Black 2 and can't find him.)
Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #791
Swarley
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Yeah this is weirdly making me want BW2very badly.

Suggest a rom, anyone?
I couldn't find a rom for the game in the US the last time I checked. Either didn't exist, or I had the "this rom is not available in your country"
Old 08-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #792
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just reached Lentimas Town.

Spoiler: show
This is probably the most awesome town in a main series Pokémon game since ... maybe ever! There's not much to do here, but hot damn if it isn't a beautiful red sight for sore eyes! It looks great, it has so much character, and the theme song may even be the best in all of Unova! That's right, you heard me: I can't decide whether I like Lentimas Town's theme song better or the White 1 version of Opelucid's.

It's really kind of a shame that such a lovely look and sound was wasted on a game that became old news in a little under six months (June 2012 release, January 2013 first trailer for X & Y). ^_^; I would've loved to have had this town with us in Region 6. Even if it's textbook Southwest USA and not France or Western Europe.

As a quick team update:
  • Tomoe the Level 42 Samurott (Razor Shell / Surf / Revenge / Return)
  • Tokiwa the Level 38 Leavanny (Leaf Blade / Bug Bite / Return / Slash)
  • Shingen the Level 40 Electabuzz (ThunderPunch / Ice Punch / Low Kick / Thunder Wave)
  • Okatsu the Level 42 Cinccino (Tail Slap / Rock Blast / Return / Wake-Up Slap)
That's right: Minccino evolved. It technically happened immediately after I beat Skyla (against whose final Pokémon I had to recruit Shingen's help ^^; ), but I imagined it in my head as happening like this: I challenge Skyla with Minccino, she takes down the first two no sweat, but then she has trouble with the third one, oh no, she's getting pummeled, get up, Katsu, get up! ... what's this? :o She's glowing an intense white ... she's evolving! :o Oh wow, she's learned Rock Blast! Katsu, ROCK BLAST THAT _____ ______! ............. but I appreciate Shingen's true assist. ;p

_____ ______ = steel turkey
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #793
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I love a well-done reference in a later game to something from an earlier game. And I just had the pleasure of witnessing such a thing just now in Undella Town.

"Ah, time to visit Cynthia ... "

"Whaaat!? :o But I thought this was Cynthia's summer resort house, not Caitlin's! ... hey waaaait a secooond ...! Now I remember ...! :O"

""

Souji definitely nailed this one. Good enough of GameFreak to surprise us with the news that this resort house was Caitlin's, but Souji took this surprise and just owned it. Made it his own. Made the canon 10x better.

P.S. Reversal Mountain was gorgeous. I found out a few minutes ago that it differs based on the game and that Black 2 players got a water-filled mountain. You guys got screwed. ^^; The magma in the White 2 version is just awesome. So, so pretty.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #794
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Huh? But... It was a volcano in B2, too?

EDIT: *Googles*
Oh, wait, holy shit you're right. I didn't realize you meant that the entire thing was lava filled in W2! 0___o
Quote:
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #795
Red Panda
head head bitch

So, I got Black 2 yesterday. 12:44 is the play time. Needless to say, I love it. I chose Oshawott, as I said, and any previous distaste towards the line is gone. Dewott proves invaluable on the team.

Anyways, I immediately picked up a Sewaddle and beat Cheren with relative ease. I avoided all pokemon from Floccesy Ranch because I didn't like any except for Azurill who was rendered moot by Oshawott. I loved the design of Virbank City. My favorite so far. And the gym was unique in that it wasn't the same "battle all the trainers as you make your way through the gym". I was training for the gym, and found a Venipede. I grabbed that thing like my life depended on it. With my team of three I beat Roxie, though Dewott did most of the work. When I made it to Castelia I headed straight through the Sewers, and once I beat the Plasma part I caught a Buneary. I then made the decision to drop Sewaddle because I felt that it couldn't compare to Venipede. I demolished Burgh, who was a let down. My level 19 Venipede beat Leavanny. Not the most impressive. I tried to get Buneary to evolve but meh. She wouldn't. I completely ignored everything on Route 4, and did the Join Avenue stuff. At Nimbasa I did the Hidden Grotto thing, and I had no idea what would be in it. It was a Mincinno. Fuck yes. And Male too! A perfect companion for Buneary! I did some research, and that was a 0.004 percent chance. I was really happy. I then addressed my fighting type problem, so I picked up a Woobat to have 2 pokemon that 4x resist fighting. I'm now training to challenge Elesa. Here's the team:

Level 23 Male Mincinno (Duster)
Silk Scarf
Sing, Doubleslap, Swift, Return

Level 24 Male Whirlipede (Mortus)
Leftovers
Bug Bite, Poison Tail, Return, Screech

Level 24 Female Buneary (Lupa)
Jump Kick, Return, Quick Attack, Endure

Level 24 Female Woobat (Silvia)
Heart Stamp, Fly, Air Cutter, Flash

Level 24 Male Dewott (Lutra)
Razor Shell, Return, Fury Cutter, Tail Whip

I may drop Buneary for someone else, and I'm not positive on who the last one or two members of my team will be.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #796
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not to burst your bubble, but the male Minccino in Route 5's Hidden Grotto is a 100% certainty the time you go there with Bianca. That was why I was so excited to get a female Minccino on my third try overall (my second ever try after Bianca's tour). Because the odds really are only around 3/10,000 to encounter a female Skill Link Minccino.

The reason they do Minccino is presumably because Bel/Bianca had one in the anime so they figured it'd be a good one to show off. Also, Skill Link is what nearly everyone wants on Minccino, so there's that. Also, it's the right route for it. (Minccino is naturally on Route 5 anyway and they must have decided to introduce Hidden Grottos midway through the game, which is what Route 5 roughly is gym badge count-wise.) As for it being male, it works since not only is Bel's male in the anime (I realize she's not the one catching it here, you are, but still) but also because it means that the player can't breed the Dream World ability over. And why is it important to do that? I dunno, ask GameFreak, control freaks in the extreme ever since Gen 3. ^_^;
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #797
Red Panda
head head bitch

Meh. I'm still happy that I got the Mincinno, whether it was certain or not.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #798
Emi

I don't think it is a certain male per se, but it is certain you got one on your first visit.

Then again I may be wrong.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #799
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Black 2 Jpns. Got a male Minccino.

White 2 USA. Got a male Minccino.

Black 2 USA. He says he got a male Minccino.

I'm pretty sure it's always a male Minccino when Bianca shows you the tree. That'd be some craaaaaaazy unlikelihood otherwise.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #800
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Black 2 Jpns. Got a male Minccino.

White 2 USA. Got a male Minccino.

Black 2 USA. He says he got a male Minccino.

I'm pretty sure it's always a male Minccino when Bianca shows you the tree. That'd be some craaaaaaazy unlikelihood otherwise.
I don't remember where I saw this, but I think it has a 40% of being male usually, and three times is : 6.4%. I'll try to find a link for it. boom

Crazy unlikelihood? Possibly. But weirder has happened.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON