Plastic bottle 5 35.71%
Aluminium can 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Glass, Plastic, Aluminium

I tried to buy four sodas for $.99 each that wrang up as $4.30 due to CRV and sales tax. Not cool! I only had $4, so I settled for three. But the assortment, due to it being late at night, was a mix of aluminium cans and bottles.

So here's the question - what is the superior container for purchaseable fluids? Glass bottles for stuff like soda isn't very common, so I wouldn't count that unless one has access to Mexican Coca-Cola.

I rank glass > plastic > aluminium. In a few cases I prefer aluminium, but when I can get my hands on a plastic bottle that's in the proper shape of 24 fl oz bottle, I'm going to prefer that. Glass doesn't come in that size anyway, much to my chagrin.

Glass' disadvantage is it's hard to dispose of on the go, since recycling bins usually don't take glass into account. In the absence of said bins, they're even harder to dispose of, along with aluminium cans. Though frankly, when I'm in Sacramento, I leave bottles in obvious places and they disappear several hours later. Strange, no?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-18-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't drunk soda for 3˝ years now, but back when I used to drink it morning, noon, and night, I would definitely prefer the taste of soda stored in plastic to that of soda stored in aluminium. This was especially true for Pepsi-Cola, my preferred soda back in the day.

My biggest problem with glass-contained soda has always been that it's so much more expensive per fluid ounce than plastic or aluminium-contained soda and that, typically, it comes in such small volumes. Like, 8 or 12 fluid ounces for a container that's the same size as a 24 fluid ounce plastic bottle. Not cool.

FYI, even in Eerie, Indiana we have Mexican colas made with genuine cane sugar in just about every single grocery store (as well as Wal-Mart and Target) you can think of. Big chain ones like Kroger and smaller mom-and-pop type stores, too. Dunno if it's because demand is high from Hispanic immigrants or if it's high from green/environmentalist types who want to get away from corn syrup, but they arrived on the scene maybe 2-3 years ago and they've only grown in stock over time. So, yeah. If even Indiana has 'em, I'm guessing ~the entire country barring some of the whitest states around in the Central Plains and Rocky Mountain areas have got 'em.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Glass with cane sugar costs 33% more than an equivalent plastic soda here, but it's better tasting and percieved as a higher quality product because of the bottle.

A major limitation of plastic I feel is the size. I hate 2 litre sodas. That's usually over-kill for the kind of refreshment one seeks and the soda degrades very quickly once someone has consumed half. A 1 litre soda bottle might be more expensive, but the product will still be drinkable if it's half gone by the next day and refrigerated.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Kayle
Pokemon Trainer

glass or aluminum, plastic bottle lose their flavor fast.
Kayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Glass bottles for stuff like soda isn't very common, so I wouldn't count that unless one has access to Mexican Coca-Cola.

Are they really that hard to come by? I mean, I live in Atlanta, so my soft drink experience is skewed wildly, but I was always able to get beverages in glass bottles.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
It varies with the brand. Coke I prefer plastic. Any kind of root beer or fruity soda I prefer aluminum. Mountain Dew goes either way.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
>Glass bottles for stuff like soda isn't very common, so I wouldn't count that unless one has access to Mexican Coca-Cola.

Are they really that hard to come by? I mean, I live in Atlanta, so my soft drink experience is skewed wildly, but I was always able to get beverages in glass bottles.
About 4 years ago, NOTHING except Mexican cola came in glass bottles. Just alcoholics.

Now, specialty sodas are starting to appear, and it's more common for me to see heavy bottle root beer. It's a fine change from yesteryear, though bottles still rule the day.

The most bizarre packaging are I think 133 ml bottles and cans. Why bother to make different packages for the same volume?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Haven't you ever seen Jone's in a glass bottle?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I've seen Glass bottles of Coke since I lived in Michigan and while they're obviously rarer than cans, they are for sale around here, especially near Christmas (thanks, weird Coke advertisements). Sprite and Diet Coke also come in glass bottles, though they're quite a bit rarer.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Haven't you ever seen Jone's in a glass bottle?
I don't even know what Jone's is.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Jones' Cream Soda. Pretty well-recognized amongst soda connoisseurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_Soda

Well, they do more than just cream soda. But I only ever see people getting the orange cream soda when they buy Jones.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate