UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
RWBY

So my girlfriend got me to watch the first trailer for this a while ago, and I've watched the other three since then. RoosterTeeth/Monty Oum may be on to something here...

Red Trailer

White Trailer

Black Trailer

Yellow Trailer

Watch the trailers (best watched in order), find yourselves in awe, then discuss below~ I'd think at least one other person has seen these already, but I could be wrong...

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm glad it's not a macromedia flash series, I am so sick of ugly-arse macromedia flash. It looks a lot better even if it's technically inferior.

I'm only on the second video but I guess these are fairy tales? Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
Watch the trailers
Okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
find yourselves in awe
Yeah that didn't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm only on the second video but I guess these are fairy tales? Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White?
It reminds me of the premise of Bakuretsu Tenshi blended with the graphics of Valkyria Chronicles. Looks like it's a girls with guns series. I wouldn't read much into fairy tale comparisons, but I suppose you could do that. (The red one did have the wolves, have after all ...)

Spoiler: show
Since I feel like I'll be hounded for this if I don't say anything (see: MLP:FiM debacle), I may as well disclaim that I'm not really sure whether this thread belongs here or in Entertainment. I guess in the absence of more information, it's fine in either house for now. I wouldn't have looked at this personally though and thought "this goes in the Anime forum" the way I would have with other non-Japanese media that have threads here, products which are almost indistinguishable from their Japanese counterparts, ... but that's mostly just because we don't really know what the hell this is or how it's going to turn out. For now, it feels more to me like a MegaTokyo ("I'M JAPANEEZ TOO! " "No, you're not. ") than a Katawa Shoujo ("We too can make eroge. "), the former being decidedly Entertainment forum material, the latter Anime forum. Anyway, I'm all for Western fans trying their hands at manga, visual novels, and even anime, so for now, I don't see the problem with the thread being here. Unlike with ponies, which was clearly a Western cartoon with only marginal anime influences no more prominent than those seen in The Adventures of Batman & Robin. [/talon's opinions]

I could probably look these things up, but given your apparent passion for the project, I'll go ahead and field the questions to you, Gemini Spark:

How long has this been in the works?

What does the creative team behind this hope to accomplish? What is their primary goal?

Assuming an episode format, how long will the average episode be? And how frequently are new episodes planned to come out? (Have most/all of them already been animated and they will be reliably released once weekly? Or is this going to be one of those fan projects where "It's done when it's done! " and they'll haphazardly release episodes in 3-to-12-month intervals?)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had no idea it was American until the third trailer where I heard English. It struck me as an MMD series and I was genuinely un-prepared when discovering that the channel wasn't a Japanese-English one. That said, if it's OEL it should probably be moved, but the lack of dialogue (like Tom and Jerry, considered "anime" in Japan because it's without dialogue) was justification enough to leave it here.

The theme to the second video is "Mirror, Mirror" so I'd bank on there being some fairy tale influence.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, watched it, was amazed. Looks like something out of a video game.

Something I noticed is that different people had different favorites among them. Personally my favorite was probably White, how about everyone else?

Also, going with the Fairy Tale idea... Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

The only thing I have to complain about when it comes to RWBY is the voice acting. Rooster Teeth has done 10 years of Red vs. Blue and now they seem to be telling us they only have one single good female voice actor, who wasn't included in this project for some reason?

My favorite is still Red. And I pray to god that wasn't Red's actual VA at the end of the Yellow trailer!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Monty Oum's same old same old. If you've ever seen Haloid or Dead Fantasy, it isn't that impressive. BTW, the exact same gun sound effect for all of them.

I do like that he's now using more unique models and not so many ripped from various other games. And he's definitely refined his work since Haloid.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
Loki

Quote:
I had no idea it was American until the third trailer where I heard English. It struck me as an MMD series and I was genuinely un-prepared when discovering that the channel wasn't a Japanese-English one. That said, if it's OEL it should probably be moved, but the lack of dialogue (like Tom and Jerry, considered "anime" in Japan because it's without dialogue) was justification enough to leave it here.

The theme to the second video is "Mirror, Mirror" so I'd bank on there being some fairy tale influence.
What? The whole 2nd video was sung in English.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A lot of videos take songs from other languages and overlay them over Japanese animation. It was a clue, but not one I'd trust with certainty.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Loki

I get you might not know the name Monty Oum or Rooster Teeth (which are big American YT names), but saying it's Japanese just because the characters have anime eyes stopped counting after 2003.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
phoopes
Double Dragon

I normally don't watch anime, but because it's a product of one of the guys who work for Roosterteeth I'll be giving this a shot. I've been keeping track of the progress of this, seeing all the trailers the day they came out actually, haha. Maybe it's because I don't watch anime like most of the rest of you do, but I was impressed by everything except for the voice acting. I think the concept is pretty darn awesome, the animation is fantastic, and I'm pretty excited to see what's in store. It seems like it's a common opinion that the voice acting is the biggest downside to this though. It's funny, I can pick out some of the voices just from watching lots of Roosterteeth products (Yellow is voiced by Barbara Dunkelman I'm 99% sure for example) but it's been a bit disappointing in that regard. Better voice acting was expected, but everything else looks really really well done. Can't wait for Episode One!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Loki

Anime is not why I felt it was unimpressive, but rather it felt like the same as all of Monty Oum's other works- girl with weapons doing mega gun-fu. I will say that Red was the weakest of the four and they got better with each one, but I still can't take any of them too seriously yet. Currently it's content without context.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Anime is not why I felt it was unimpressive, but rather it felt like the same as all of Monty Oum's other works- girl with weapons doing mega gun-fu. I will say that Red was the weakest of the four and they got better with each one, but I still can't take any of them too seriously yet. Currently it's content without context.
Ah, I haven't seen any of his other stuff, the "girly gun-fu" genre is new to me and I'm completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Also, I'd have to disagree with you, I thought Yellow was best, followed by Red, White, then Black. They were all really good though.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

So basically I came to point out that this is the work of Monty Oum who is famous for Haloid and a lot of stuff in the later seasons of Red vs Blue, but Loki already did that for me.

It looks neat, but it doesn't... really appeal to me? It just seems like classic Monty Oum to me - big, fast, jumpy, long, crazy fight scenes with cute anime chicks. Cool, but... cool, I guess? Not really anything substantial other than eye candy to be quite honest... I'll give the first episode a try when it premieres given that it's Rooster Teeth, so it's basically going to wind up being either decent or just repetitive and meh, or a mixture of both.

edit: So basically everything Loki said.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Loki

Deoxys, are you my clone?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

Insufficient amount of data accrued for proper response. Will need to play StarCraft 2 before I can confirm or deny.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I normally don't watch anime, but because it's a product of one of the guys who work for Roosterteeth I'll be giving this a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
the "girly gun-fu" genre is new to me and I'm completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Click.

You say you don't normally watch anime. You also say you like your new discovery of girls with guns. I say girls with guns is an entire genre in anime and that you've got some catching up to do.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
I actually thought they got worse as they went on. White was probably my favorite since I liked the whole "mirror" aspect. Having her fight with her left hand was a nice touch.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Loki

Some people like Apples. Some people like Oranges. People who like oranges are crazy people though.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Some people like Apples. Some people like Oranges. People who like oranges are crazy people though.
I do prefer oranges over apples. *shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #21
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Eh, what colour of apple are we talking, here? I like Green Apples, and Red Apples are good enough, but I simply can't stomach Yellow Apples.

...If Green Apples were White...
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

I do prefer oranges over apples. *shot*
I always knew you were a bit unhinged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

...If Green Apples were White...
They can be, if you leave them undisturbed and moist on your table for several weeks.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
So the public premiere is tomorrow, anyone else still excited for this?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherUser View Post
So the public premiere is tomorrow, anyone else still excited for this?
I assume people have been a bit busy being excited with other shows this season.
I was also knocked down from all the hype somewhat by the Yellow trailer - and namely the voice-acting in it. My lord. You don't have to achieve for squeaky voice-acting (Red), Japanese women do that naturally, with western women it just sounds high-pitched and extremely annoying.

I'll watch the first episode whenever it comes out and then tell you guys how I feel about it.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
I'll watch the first episode whenever it comes out and then tell you guys how I feel about it.
So this came around sooner than I thought! And I'm just hoping I won't be the first and/or only one making a post. ^-^;;

Episode 1
Since RWBY was first announced, the team behind it has mentioned every single time they've been on the RT podcasts that Monty made all of them watch anime as assignments/homework. And it shows: in the almost 13 minutes of the episode, we get to see plenty of stuff I bet the people in this forum will easily be able to tell are anime tropes, from the execution of humor and dialog to action scenes. This is not a bad thing by any means, but to me it felt a bit glued-on-top; like the show hasn't quite developed its own world and quirks yet, so they use quirks from other (anime) projects.

Our protagonist, Ruby Rose, is a very run-of-the-mill protagonist. She's trying to get into a school that trains what are known as huntresses - monster slaying is what this show is going to come down to. Now Ruby has skills on the battlefield, but when you take out the fighting she's a regular ditz. I can't seem to find the words to explain exactly how she's a stock anime MC ; but if you watch the episode, I guarantee you'll get a "I think I've seen this a couple of times before" moment. Anyway, Ruby shows some skills in fighting and ends up being selected to get into her academy of dreams two years early.

Ruby's older sister, Yellow Girl, is also going to this academy of kicking ass, which...has airships? This episode isn't big on giving out details about how the RWBY-universe works. Which just left me confused in the end. We get a storytime at the start about Dust, a substance that apparently...allows people to control the powers of nature(?) and is used in the fight against...evil?

Yeeeeah, how about you go watch it and then come tell me what the hell is going on in the story.

STUFF I CAN GIVE COMPREHENSIBLE OPINIONS ABOUT!

Music: This is a strong point in the series. Very catchy theme song.

Voice-acting: I was doubtful at first, but apparently the VAs have done their homework and some of the voices are actually quite fun to listen to. The Big Bad of the first episode (white coat, orange hair) left an impression with his voice...but I can't for the life of me remember what this character is called.

Animation: Action scenes are fluid and show that effort has been put in. But when we have just two characters talking to each other peacefully? It's...woody. Might be because it's a first episode and all the action stuff got so hyped, but non-action animations really need improvement. You can pinpoint where the animation is thought out and polished, and where the developers seemed to go "well, let's just make their mouths move properly and call it a day".

To sum it up, there's potential in RWBY. I have hope it'll become a decent show. This first episode was just a bit like watching a baby animal's first attempt at walking: cutesy, but needs work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime