UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #26
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Oh my gosh, she's the author of Hell's Kitchen?? I used to read that comic a loooong time ago, but I stopped when she didn't update enough xd;

I should catch up! I'm happy for the artist too, good for her~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

One fan's Over the Garden Wall-themed Valentine's Day cards. They also have a couple Gravity Falls-themed ones and one I don't recognize.

Personal favorite was the bluebird one.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #28
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
One fan's Over the Garden Wall-themed Valentine's Day cards. They also have a couple Gravity Falls-themed ones and one I don't recognize.

Personal favorite was the bluebird one.
Daww. That reminds me of this cute-sad comic. (Also, I'm assuming the one you don't recognize is the middle left. That's actually Sara the Bee. She says the same line but in regards to drinking "age-appropriate drinks".)

As an aside, it makes me happy to see the show is popular overseas as well. Here's another favorite fanart by a Thai artist.

While I'm at it, might as well also share a fairy tale take on the Beast's origin story.

...One more theory just to mess with you. *flees*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #29
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

BORKED

The pilot episode "Tome of the Unknown" is now available on the CN website. \o/

Beatrice's voice feels a bit off, but aside from that it feels like it could fit right in as an extra episode with the rest of the series. ^^ It's nice the vignette format allows for that kind of freedom.

Lmao at the watering can flask. The cuteness and creativity clearly shows even at this early stage. =)

This show is seriously so darling please watch it if you haven't already. <333
Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post
1PUHOOYwhXU

The pilot episode "Tome of the Unknown" is now available on the CN website. \o/

Beatrice's voice feels a bit off, but aside from that it feels like it could fit right in as an extra episode with the rest of the series. ^^ It's nice the vignette format allows for that kind of freedom.

Lmao at the watering can flask. The cuteness and creativity clearly shows even at this early stage. =)

This show is seriously so darling please watch it if you haven't already. <333
Admittedly, I'm not that enamored with Over the Garden Wall to start with; but, I didn't much care for this episode nor did I think that it did the original series justice. :\ Because I don't want to be a downer for anybody, I'll go ahead and spoiler tag this entire post. What you'll find inside the outermost tag is (imo) spoiler-safe for anyone to read. But I have another spoiler tag inside that contains actual spoilers, so don't click that second one unless you want to be spoiled. That stated, here we go!

If Tome of the Unknown is meant to take place during the events of Over the Garden Wall, then I feel like the episode is a swing and a miss in both tone and plot. Why is the narrator suddenly harping on and on about "the Unknown" when he's never done such before? What even is the "Unknown" from the point of view of OtGW? And as for the tone, the episode ... well, spoilers!

The episode provides us with a Wirt who seems like he's enjoying traveling with everybody and is ... sort of like the dad of the group. I know that's how he's been depicted in many a fanart and fanfiction, but not here. Not in Over the Garden Wall. In OtGW Wirt still has this very clear air of frightened child who, per his older status, appoints himself leader but who, per his cognizance, is actually much more afraid of the world he and Gregory find themselves in than is his blissfully ignorant younger brother. Yet in this episode of Tome of the Unknown, Wirt seems to be way more calm than his OtGW self. It's almost like -- brace for it -- he's already been through some serious shit (i.e. the events of OtGW) and nothing fazes him anymore. I suppose that works if TotU is supposed to be taking place after OtGW instead of during it ...

... But if that's the case, then I just throw my hands up in the air and go "WHAT!? RUINED!" Because come on: the entire point of OtGW was that they were dealing with Limbo (or some other realm pertaining to death) and that Wirt and Beatrice are tragically separated despite finding their respective happy / happiest-possible-given-real-life's-cruel-circumstances endings. Whether you want to ship Wirt and Beatrice romantically or whether you just want to pair them up as solid friends, the point with OtGW's ending -- so I feel, anyway -- was to leave the viewer with this "Aww man " feeling. It's a ... "happy" ending? Air quotes? But it's got some real clear tragedy to it too. The kids get to return to the land of the living -- or rather, they never die to begin with, clinging to life -- and as such they have to bid farewell to their Limbo friends.

Perhaps you could say, "Well Talon! Maybe the story [of TotU] takes place long, long after OtGW! Maybe it takes place after Wirt and Gregory have both died! And so they're back, under their natural circumstances, in the land of the dead!" But then we still wouldn't have the answer to this question: why is Beatrice a bird again? That was another big deal with OtGW's resolution: that Beatrice regains her human form, as do the rest of her family. So why would she be a bird again if this is all taking place in the future?

See, it's for reasons like this that I'm pretty certain TotU, thankfully, takes place during the events of OtGW rather than after them. But now we're back to those opening complaints of plot and tone I mentioned. Why is the tone so different if this is still supposed to be OtGW territory? Why does Wirt feel so much different from the Wirt who was in most of OtGW?

Another tone issue for me was the overly happy ending for the vegetables. Don't get me wrong: I'm fine with it, self contained. I have no problem with happy endings. But one like this just doesn't fit with what we saw in OtGW. None of the veggies die? Indeed, two of the veggies get hitched, make babies, and live happily ever after? The crows that torment the city vegetables -- crows that were a constant threat and could not even be driven off that far by a scarecrow -- are permanently scared away because Gregory makes a terrifying cry this one time? C'mon, guys. How does this fit in with the majority of OtGW events -- think steamboat episode -- where what befalls the denizens of Limbo is often a mix of happy and tragic outcome? I don't even have to touch far more clearly tragic outcomes like the Auntie Whispers episode -- I can stick with the steamboat episode and point to the frogs' hibernation as something that isn't necessarily tragic tragic but still has this weakly sad air about it. And I can then skip ahead only a few minutes to land right in the lap of Wirt discovering Beatrice's originally-intended betrayal of the group. OtGW episodes didn't tend to be 100% Gregory affairs, even if Gregory affairs were a staple of them. But this first episode of TotU felt like a Gregory affair from start to finish: "Yay, strange land! Yay, silly reactions! Yay, happy endings!" I dunno. I personally didn't feel like it matched the tone of the original. But maybe that's just me.

Something else that bugged me the entire time was the animation. The non-character animation looked really good. It still had all of the artistic style of the original series but it looked like it had received the benefit of much more funding and/or skilled labor. It was exquisitely drawn. The bit early on with the leaves blowing in the wind, for example. But the character art ... it felt like the total opposite. A, it didn't look or feel 100% like the original to me. And B, insofar as it felt different, it felt inferior. Not inferior because "GRRRR CHANGE! I HATE CHANGE!" Nothing like that. Inferior because it just plain looked like it was drawn worse. Eyes was one of the biggest things I noticed. Wirt's and Beatrice's eyes did a lot of cheap Cartoon Network-esque effects that I don't recall them doing in the original series. And even when they weren't acting like lost members of the Looney Tunes, their eyes just plain looked like they were animated more ... cheaply than before.

Overall, I just wasn't feeling it. But then again, I wasn't feeling it with the original either. So maybe my pessimism doesn't have to bode ill for any of you who loved OtGW and who are really hoping for a strong sister work in TotU.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So ... follow up post!

It should be obvious from the above post that I totally misunderstood what this was a pilot episode to. I thought it was a pilot for a new series called "Tome of the Unknown." Instead I am now learning from the YouTube comments that this is the pilot episode to Over the Garden Wall itself. Huh. Interesting. Well ...

A, I guess that means I'm way off in rooting for you OtGW fans that you're going to be getting another series. Whoops.

And B, it sheds some interesting light on several of my points made above. Spoiler box! (Massive OtGW spoilers inside.)

The animation issues can probably be chalked up to the pilot episode status. They probably changed their minds about how to animate the characters' faces once it came time to do "the real show," even if most content creators take pilots especially seriously. They may have also paid much closer attention to animating the characters well for a series they knew was airing on television rather than a pilot airing only to select audiences. *shrug* I dunno!

Wirt's character issues that I drew attention to ... can all pretty much be explained away by this being a pilot. McHale may have made some (to him) minor tweaks to Wirt's character that (to us) had far-reaching consequences for how we perceived the boy.

The time in which this all takes place is clearly during the events of OtGW because ... well ...

As for the titular Tome of the Unknown ... all I can really say is, I guess that McHale changed directions with what items of lore he'd plant in his universe. We get the lantern, the bell, etc, but I don't recall us ever getting any tome. Maybe he originally planned for a book that would be allegoric for St. Peter's book o' names, and maybe it was going to be Wirt's and Gregory's quest -- for reasons unknown to themselves, even -- to locate this book. And then they'd find it, and their names either a) wouldn't be in it or else b) would be but would be removed. And then either way, they'd return to the land of the living. Something like that. *shrug* Who knows.

Anyway, I feel really silly for not correctly understanding what this was a pilot to until after I wrote up that lengthy post. But I'll let it stand as is. 'S okay.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #32
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Another tone issue for me was the overly happy ending for the vegetables. Don't get me wrong: I'm fine with it, self contained. I have no problem with happy endings. But one like this just doesn't fit with what we saw in OtGW. None of the veggies die? Indeed, two of the veggies get hitched, make babies, and live happily ever after? The crows that torment the city vegetables -- crows that were a constant threat and could not even be driven off that far by a scarecrow -- are permanently scared away because Gregory makes a terrifying cry this one time? C'mon, guys. How does this fit in with the majority of OtGW events -- think steamboat episode -- where what befalls the denizens of Limbo is often a mix of happy and tragic outcome? I don't even have to touch far more clearly tragic outcomes like the Auntie Whispers episode -- I can stick with the steamboat episode and point to the frogs' hibernation as something that isn't necessarily tragic tragic but still has this weakly sad air about it. And I can then skip ahead only a few minutes to land right in the lap of Wirt discovering Beatrice's originally-intended betrayal of the group. OtGW episodes didn't tend to be 100% Gregory affairs, even if Gregory affairs were a staple of them. But this first episode of TotU felt like a Gregory affair from start to finish: "Yay, strange land! Yay, silly reactions! Yay, happy endings!" I dunno. I personally didn't feel like it matched the tone of the original. But maybe that's just me.
What about the schoolhouse episode?

For that matter, most of the early episodes - and really I'd argue all of them - had happy endings. There was the occasional fright but they all ended well. I was afraid at least one of the vegetables would get eaten too, but was pleasantly surprised they didn't and was happy they survived. Having the veggies die for "dark humor" seems like something Gravity Falls would do, and I'm glad OTGW doesn't go in that direction. Heck, the worst that really happens onscreen is when Auntie Whispers swallows a turtle.

And I think that's part of the series' charm - to be just scary enough for kids but overall lighthearted and sweet. Like I said in the intro post, it's not trying to be grimdark for shock factor, but just focuses on the imagination and wonder of traveling through a fantasy world. It kinda reminds me of Natsume Yuujinchou in that regard, as both deal with brief encounters with magical beings or spirits who usually turn out to be good, and helping them along the way. The dead pumpkin people (who the veggies were probably incorporated into) could've been evil, but it turns out they just wanted to party. You don't usually see that kind of twist these days.

OTGW is my favorite western cartoon to come out in recent years - even more so than GF - and honestly perhaps one of my favorite pieces of animation period. It's not perfect, but there's just something about its timelessness and childlike innocence that takes me back, when simply wonder was enough to captivate. It transports one for a little while to a land of make-believe, with curious but oftentimes friendly creatures, that looks fun to visit and adventure in despite its dark overtones.

Like when Greg screams over the goose and it happily reciprocates, I think that's just the most adorable thing. <3 I want a giant goose friend to ride darnit. \o/

Wirt's marvel at the car feels similar, where even he can't help being taken in by the strange sights despite being older. If this story took place during the series, I assume it'd be around the steamboat episode where he's loosened up enough to even dance and sing the Adelaide Parade (one of my other favorite moments).

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 05-23-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #33
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

TotU is almost unwatchable for me simply thanks to Beatrice's character. I'm so happy they changed the VA, movements, and personality for OtGW.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #34
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
TotU is almost unwatchable for me simply thanks to Beatrice's character. I'm so happy they changed the VA, movements, and personality for OtGW.
I thought she was pretty much in character aside from the voice. *shrug*
Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I didn't even notice the voice being different. Reading the comments was how I learned it was. *tomatoed*
Old 05-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #36
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post

I thought she was pretty much in character aside from the voice. *shrug*
TotU Beatrice is not a flawed character - she's got a sarcastic streak but that's it. OtGW Beatrice is manipulative, aggressive, and brash. Spoiler:
She does not actually care about the boys until very late into the series. I'd say that the pivot point is in the Tea episode when Beatrice and Wirt got to know each other while exploring Quincy Endicott's house. Until then, they're just the kids who are going to be Adelaide's slaves in return for her human shape back.

There are a few other simple ways that really got to me (the timing of the character's lines, the maturity of the character's voice) and made it really difficult to think of her as Beatrice instead of Generic Magical Guide.

Last edited by Shuckle; 05-26-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:14 AM   #37
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I think that judgment of her seems rather harsh, but I guess it gets back to what I was saying with how - if this episode took place during the series - it would be around the midpoint. Given your interpretation of the character, I'd put it directly before the steamboat episode (so in between that and the tea ep).

Also I suggest you spoiler tag that first line.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 05-25-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #38
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

you quoted it though :P

I know it seems harsh as a judgment, but it makes her a good character and it means that her story is way more fundamentally interesting.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #39
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Whoops. Edited.

Although the part you put in the box is like the least spoilerific part. XP I meant the whole paragraph really.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #40
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Seeing as it's the spoopy season again, I was wondering if anyone would be up for another stream of this series? I was thinking of hosting one around Halloween weekend if people are interested.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #41
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Been listening to the (amazing) soundtrack recently and realized something.

BORKED

"Two voices, now they are singing/Then ten, as the melody soars/Round the shimmering pond all are joining in song/As it carries their reverie on."

"Then softly it falls by a house near a stream/and over the garden wall/to thee."

The Unknown is all but confirmed to be the afterlife.

Conclusion: The "lullaby" is actually a requiem, sung for a dead loved one by all who know them.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment