UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

Pokken Tournament announced

The stream Youtube link

This sounds like it could be big guys!!!

So the shocking announcement has turned out to be 'Pokken Tournament', an arcade game in the spirit of Tekken and Soul Calibur featuring Pokemon.

Coming to (Japanese) arcades next year..
That disappointing little detail may mean the west might not ever see this, but a port is possible.

The game is a collaboration between the Pokemon Company and Namco.

Official Trailer
Wins- 24 ~ Losses- 14 ~ Draws- 1
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15
Current Number of Pokemon on the Squad: 38

Friend Codes:
Spoiler: show
Y/Smash Bros- (I pay more attention to this one :P) FS- Gabite, Noibat, Druddigon; 1993-9521-9013

X- FS- Gyarados, Bibarel, Poliwhirl; 0645-5911-9507

Last edited by ROFLMAO; 08-26-2014 at 08:58 AM.
ROFLMAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Well knowing that the same company behind Tekken are doing this game and Tekken releases first in Arcades before the console version... I think we can expect a Wii U version of the game after the arcade game is released.

It's pretty much standard fare for most Japanese fighting games to go arcade first before porting them to consoles so I'm not too worried that the only announcement we have is for arcade.

Last edited by uhhhhh; 08-26-2014 at 09:06 AM.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Red Panda
head head bitch

>PG says there is going to be a Pokemon announcement today
>"Pokken Fighters pls"

My wish has been granted!
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

Official Trailer has been posted by The Pokemon Company's official English channel.
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15

Friend Codes:
Y/Smash Bros- (I pay more attention to this one :P) FS- Gabite, Noibat, Druddigon; 1993-9521-9013

Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

And now we have another Fighting Game roster to speculate about.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Yes! As a fighting game fan it's nice to see Pokemon finally getting one. Knowing that both Tekken and Soul Caliber can have huge roasters, we can either have a small cast (12~20) or a huge cast (20+), and both are plausible with Pokemon. Anyways, I know Lucario, Blaziken, and Machamp are in it (Remember the first teaser screenshot from last year?). Anyways, I'm pretty sure Gardevoir or Gallade will be in the game, mostly due to popularity and both of them having interesting fighting styles.

Anyways more roaster speculation is better :3

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Man I hope Toxicroak's in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if a roster is dominated by Fighting-types. I mean we've got three confirmed already but yeah. I can see the entire roster being Fighters and very physical others (Ursaring, Pinsir, etc.).
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
ROFLMAO
Thunder Badge

I've got to say, the trailer has really made me want to add a Machamp to my PASBL team, it looks badass.
TP- 154 KOs- 52 SP- 15

Friend Codes:

Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I have a Machamp! It's tons of funs.

Also I saw a screenshot floating around with blurry pictures of Heracross and Mankey, so those are real possibilities.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I have a Machamp too, and damn if it isn't fun.

Wow. I have a feeling I might like this more than SSB4.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Glad to have new news on the game. Disappointed that its Japan-only, arcade-only release is tentatively scheduled for "2015." When in 2015? And even if it's January (unlikely), the fact that they're only going to release it to arcades in Japan at that time suggests that an international, home console version isn't going to be out for at least another year. Which means that from when the game was first teased to when we'll first get to play it is going to be at least a two-year window. :\ Though if it does come to America by August 2015, I suppose we should only be so lucky. -.-

I like both the idea of keeping it exclusive to Fighting types as well as the idea of a general, all-types Pokémon fighter. The latter would offer an official replacement of the unofficial fighting game Type Wild. While I enjoy Type Wild's anime-faithful artwork, it would still be nice to have an official fighter with a triple-A budget backing it up. But having the game stick exclusively to Fighting types would be fun in its own way. It'd be a nice throwback to the Fighting-type tournament in the first season of the anime. It'd also offer a chance for less popular creatures (like Medicham or Throh) to shine, creatures who would normally be passed over in an all-types fighter for more popular creatures like Charizard and Garchomp.

Regardless, it already looks like the game is going to feature a mixture of creature types. Jeri's mentioned his finds. And someone else noted that one of the casters in the Japanese stream is wearing a mega evolution bracelet. And hanging from her bracelet is a Froslass keychain doll. This has invited speculation that a) Froslass will be in the game and/or b) Mega Froslass is being hinted at. This is good news for people hoping for a general Pokémon fighter but could be bad news for those hoping to see less popular Fighting types make it into the game. We've no idea as to what the roster size will be, but unlike Smash Bros. titles, I would be surprised to see a Tekken title go over 32. Will Dave's Toxicroak make it in? Or will he be squeezed out by everyone's favorite waifu? Stay tuned to find out!

Though I won't lie: so long as she's top tier or second from top tier, Gardevoir yes please.

Also: I'll probably end up maining whoever is the speedy-but-light(er)-damage character. Which is probably not going to be Gardevoir. Probably going to be Blaziken or (if he's in) Greninja.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
And now we have another Fighting Game roster to speculate about.
My guess; two legs, two arms, fully evolved only plus Pikachu. Basically stuff that's human shaped/sized or close enough. Simplifies the design greatly for the developers as opposed to having stuff like Arbok or Pidgeot in.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
Red Panda
head head bitch

While that's likely going to hold true, I would love to see a serpent or two, just because of how unique the fighting style is.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Lil'twick
Insanity

Hmm... Well, I'm sure we're gonna haveat least one of: a regular character, a grappler, a keep away, a comboer, a form changer (Style), a speedster, a bruiser, and a caster. I can name a few Mons that can easily fill one or more of these roles. *Looks at Gengar*

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #15
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
My only want is going to be Lopunny.

Especially its Mega Forme.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Some are speculating that the roster will only be megas. They suggest that the trailer, the Gen 1 cable link quartet, and XY introducing megas for only two of them all combine to suggest that Mega Machamp and Mega Golem are on the way and will be in this game. The Froslass doll on the mega bangle suggests Mega Froslass. One of the megas revealed for ORAS boasts a Fighting type making it likely to show up too. Finally, limiting the roster to just megas gives Namco a convenient way to excuse themselves to disappointed fans for not creating all 300+ fully-evolved creatures. There are what? Fifty megas in XY and ORAS combined? Fifty or fewer, I think. That should make for a comfortable ceiling for them, one which isn't too too out of reach.

If this thinking is true, then it's good news for Gardevoir and Gengar fans but likely to be disappointing news for fans of less popular creatures who haven't yet gotten a mega and aren't likely to get one any time soon either.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
I'm happy that it's 3d Tekken style as opposed to 2d Street Fighter style so that we won't have op ranged fighters.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
We've no idea as to what the roster size will be, but unlike Smash Bros. titles, I would be surprised to see a Tekken title go over 32.
They've already gone beyond 32. X)

In comparison, Tekken 6 had 43 playable characters while Tekken Tag Tournament 2 had 59 characters. While granted, I really don't think Pokken's roster would be as big as Tag 2, I wouldn't be surprised if Namco-Bandai managed to stuff in aleast 30 Pokemon in the roster.

Last edited by uhhhhh; 08-26-2014 at 01:39 PM.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhhhh View Post
They've already gone beyond 32 since Tekken 5. X)

In comparison, Tekken 6 had 43 playable characters while Tekken Tag Tournament 2 had 59 characters. While granted, I really don't think Pokken's roster would be as big as Tag 2, I wouldn't be surprised if Namco-Bandai managed to stuff in aleast 30 Pokemon in the roster.
Well huh. Guess that shows how out of touch I am with Tekken then.

Man, 59 is excessive. That's a whole lotta clones.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

Hnnnggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is sweet.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Lil'twick
Insanity

So! Some twitter news. The game is not all fighting types, so that further boosts my hope for Gardevoir/Gengar. Also, it might be possible to get some pre-evolved Pokemon in here. Dewott and Pikachu anyone? And it might go to the Playstation consoles..... Weird.

Link

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
So! Some twitter news. The game is not all fighting types, so that further boosts my hope for Gardevoir/Gengar. Also, it might be possible to get some pre-evolved Pokemon in here. Dewott and Pikachu anyone? And it might go to the Playstation consoles..... Weird.

Link
Quote:
You should ask Nintendo yourself. I can’t ask about that. RT@NawalYadav9 @powerprotoman will Pokken be available for ps3 or ps4??

— Katsuhiro Harada (@Harada_TEKKEN) August 28, 2014
There is no way that that tweet means that it's coming to the PS4 -- simply because there is no way that Nintendo would ever, ever agree to it. It's just typical Japanese video game businessman talk.

The confirmation about non-Fighting types is welcome but was pretty easy to guess given the clues. (In particular the Froslass doll the announcer was wearing that day.) The confirmation about NFEs, on the other hand, is surprising. I thought the kids who were calling that this game was going to be a Mega Evolution throw-down had it correctly pegged. If NFEs are in the game, then that means that it's open season for predictions. Anyone could be in now, even loltastic weaklings like Caterpie or Farfetch'd. (Precisely because of how weak they normally are and how that could be played for laughs in a fighting game where they're astonishingly capable.)

I would see this announcement as all but confirming Gardevoir (and/or Mega Gardevoir) being in the game. She's a fan favorite. Hell: I've always thought of her as the star of Type: Wild myself. Gengar (and/or Mega Gengar) would seem a safe bet if we're just copying and pasting the Type: Wild roster. Along those same lines of thinking, Snorlax is an amazingly natural pick to be the slow, cumbersome bruiser.

As for NFEs ... Pikachu's the most obvious candidate in my eyes since he's the franchise mascot, is already associated with being a fighting game character thanks to Smash Bros., and is a natural pick for a character with a small hitbox that is low to the ground. You bring up Dewott, who while I wouldn't mind seeing him myself I would consider a long shot since Unova's time came and went and Dewott, even during the peak of Unova's popularity, never got that much support out of any of the official Pokémon media.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
Lil'twick
Insanity

I was saying Dewott more of that he would more fit a swordsman style for an NFE, and I personally think Oshawott (Who in contrary to Dewott is still kinda extremely popular) is jsut a bit too small to effectively be a sword-fighting character (Just a personal opinion). Also, yeah, I can see them kinda copying Type: Wild's roaster. Mega Lopunny seems to be made for this game personally, and Blazichicken might be in for ORAS promotion.

Though, I am expecting to see a few oddballs here and there. I would love Sableye personally, since htat would be such a unique style.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #24
Red Panda
head head bitch

>Not all Fighting types

Serpents please!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #25
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I'm baselessly auto-assuming almost all Fighting types have a good chance of being in this game, so I'm not going to bother mentioning any of them.

Here's a list of Pokemon who have a good chance at being in the game and no one has mentioned:

Fast Attackers with Weak Strikes and High Combo:
Zangoose
Elektross
Golduck
Marowak
Ambipom
Weavile

Slower Attackers with Heavy Damage:
Magmortar
Electrivire
Ursaring
Claydol
Dusknoir
Escavalier
Cofagrigus
Slaking
Snorlax
Rhyperior

Shapeshifter/Move Thief: (Think Shang Tsung from MK)

Ditto
Zoroark
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON