UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 12-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #226
McSweeney
Soul Badge

As a guy who's worked several different jobs in the last 10 years, I will give you this advice: you may have to just suck it up and go to the crappiest job you can find to get your foot in the labour force, even if no one will take you but Mcdonald's.

People look at cover letters with the wrong attitude. They think it's like an annoying homework assignment, and just write a bunch of cliches like "I'm good with people" and so on. Actually, you should look at cover letters as the best opportunity to market yourself and convince them to hire you; say something that will make it stand out from other resumes. In the cover letter for your first job, just be honest, speak from the heart and say that you don't have any work experience, but you are eager to get some, and are therefore willing to do whatever is asked of you: come in early, stay late, whatever.

Once you get your first job, your goal should be to fulfill those promises you made in the cover letter and be the best employee ever, even if it's something crappy like Mcdonald's, for the purpose of making your manager love you. You now have a good reference to put in your resume for a better job. When you're ready to apply for a better job, you can now use the cover letter to express confidence in your abilities. Include a line like, "I encourage you to contact the reference(s) I have listed in my resume for proof of my work ethic." You have to be a little bit cocky to distinguish your resume from others.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #227
Mercutio
Banned

This is very true. Particularly if you want to get in to a market where competition is fierce.

Also, lying on your CV will probably not work. It might! And embellishment is less bad. But it will probably get you fired.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #228
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

My job serving Frozen Yogurt got a bit more dangerous. A 'customer' who comes in everyday and only orders free samples got upset because I handled paying customers before him when he skipped the line. He sat down in the corner and when some kids sat next to him, he showed them he had a knife. They freak out and told their mom at the register and he left before my co-worker and I could see it.

So.... I don't wanna get shanked over Fro-Yo... I live and work in a quiet neighborhood and this is really upsetting.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #229
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Can you review security cameras?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #230
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Just saw this thread. I made $80 on a real-life gig as a musician and I just like the occasional opportunity to remind myself of that so that I can continue to pretend being a musician is a real-life career option except lolnoitisn't.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #231
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yikes. I just did a 4 hour session doing that essay grading job after working 8 hours at work today. I took paid leave tomorrow so I could do do 8 hours, and I'm still not going to meet the minimum threshold (25 hours) to get a $100 bonus. I'm going to come in at 20 hours, all done at the California minimum wage. My take home will probably be an additional +$150 for the week.

This work is, I think, harder than my day job, as it requires 100% undivided critical thinking. I was being cocky telling Morg that I legitimately worried that doing this job would impact my tax return for the 2016 tax year (which I predict will be around $5,000). Grinding 40 hours a month for an extra $300 is not going to hurt my tax return.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #232
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
So I start working next week, it's a part-time thing pushing carts for a wholesale club.

It seems simple being what it is, but it's my first real job, am scurred.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #233
Mercutio
Banned

Do not hot on the boss's daughter. I once did this it did not go well.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:01 AM   #234
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What did I just read?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-01-2016, 02:18 AM   #235
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

This kind of counts as a job lol

So I just finished 4 weeks of teaching placement! I am so god damn exhausted, my brain hurts so much. It was my first placement, not my first time working with kids, I have plenty of experience through other jobs and stuff. It was an amazing experience, my confidence sky rocketed and it really reaffirmed that teaching is what I want to do and was ment to do. As always saying goodbye to the kids today was the hardest part, some of the bonds i made with the kids in 4 weeks surprised me. I also found out today that the yr 7 (grade 7) class i had been teaching was the second lowest, which was a complete shock because some of them had been amazing when I was teaching them, although some of them it did make sense. I got to watch a lot of other teachers from different faculties teach (I'm Science FYI) and the really underlying thing i saw was that you have to enjoy what you are doing. There were some teachers who you could tell just really didn't want to be there, they were burnt out husks and it rubbed off on the kids. But then you get the teachers who are full of passion, even the ones who are old and close to retirement, and you can see how it changes the kids. I sat in on an art class with some of the year 7 kids I had been teaching in it and the old teacher they had was awesome. He had retired but then decided to come back and just the way he gained there respect and attention, it was incredible and he had me completely sucked in.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #236
Mercutio
Banned

Excellent! I found that teaching wasn't for me in the end but it's a very cool profession to get into. Good luck!

My job involves political analysis and the UK is going nuts so MY LIFE IS FUN RIGHT NOW

/dying
Old 07-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #237
Mercutio
Banned

Does anyone here have any experience of asking for a raise?

I've been working at my place for around nine months and am generally considered to be pretty competent, insightful and delivery orientated. I'm also seen as a hard worker for some reason (?).

I have a half year review coming up this week and, assuming it goes well, I'm thinking of asking for extra money. I know that a colleague of similar experience and at the same rank is seen as less useful than me but makes two grand more per year. Our team is exceeding targets for generating income for the company - which is itself exceeding growth targets. I'd really like to rent a nicer flat. And I work silly hours.

So the question is how does one go about securing a raise without getting fired and is it advisable to make the attempt?
Old 07-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #238
Torkoal Stu
This

I've asked for a raise twice in my life, one time successful (two weeks ago wahoo) and the other not. But both times the person I asked took it well.

Just very clearly explain what you do and the hours you work and why you think that justifies a raise. Don't compare what you do to someone else or use them as a benchmark, just explain what you bring to the company and how you're doing more thn your job description and why you're valuable. The worst they can really do is say no. Most bosses take it well because no one can really blame you, any one would do the same in your position Kush.

Let us know! Good luck~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #239
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I've asked for a raise twice in my life, one time successful (two weeks ago wahoo) and the other not. But both times the person I asked took it well.

Just very clearly explain what you do and the hours you work and why you think that justifies a raise. Don't compare what you do to someone else or use them as a benchmark, just explain what you bring to the company and how you're doing more thn your job description and why you're valuable. The worst they can really do is say no. Most bosses take it well because no one can really blame you, any one would do the same in your position Kush.

Let us know! Good luck~
Pretty much all of this! I haven't had a boss that has gotten remotely upset at me for asking for more pay.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #240
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Since I work for the feds, I'm in no position to ask for a raise.

However, I do make more money lately. I told my supervisor that I needed more money and was looking into part time jobs to supplement my income. That lead me to getting assigned evening duties which have a pay differential. The normal person who does evenings does 10 hours, four days a week for a 40 hour work week. Because I work five days, I get in more hours than that with the differential.

So, I did get a raise, kind of.

My approach would be to drop hints and actually pursue other options for money. In a busier city, people in my profession work part-time at other hospitals to supplement their income, since there's always demand. I've more or less saturated the demand here so the only other source at night are the part-time positions.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-26-2016, 02:19 AM   #241
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

So this year, while doing teaching at uni i have been doing an afternoons worth of Volunteer work at my old school, just with a sports program i helped set up when i was at school. Im good friends with the deputy principal so i asked whether i could just make it the full day of volunteer work, doing teachers aid work the rest of the day. He went to the principal who instead decided to offer me three days paid work as a teachers aid (the official title sounds fancier haha). So yeah i get to work monday, wednesday, friday at school and then spend tuesday and thursday at Uni.

Things are finally looking good for me on the Job/Career front so i felt like sharing

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 AM   #242
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My boss asked me, "How are you doing financially"? I could not tell her I am flat broke, without a penny to my name, living paycheck to paycheck and in dire need of funds soon.

In fact, the paycheck I get Friday will be 100% used up on rent and my modest credit card bill. So getting that Wal-Mart job couldn't come at a better time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 AM   #243
Mercutio
Banned

So I actually got a small raise yesterday!

It is very much a "you deserve this but we aren't promoting you quit your griping" raise but still.

Depressingly even before taxes it only covers like three weeks of my rent lol.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #244
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Congrats, Kush!

Meanwhile, I made $70 on a recording session the other night and got a starbucks card from a rehearsal, which is basically money that I can only spend at starbucks. Life is good for this high schooler. I'll get a real job some day, I swear.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #245
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I got a job at Wal-Mart, which pays $12 and hour. Which is way higher than Wal-Mart in other parts of the country, apparently.

At 37 hours per week, this projects to augment my income by about $4000 from now through the end of the year. In 2017, if I don't make a military board, it should augment it by $11,000. Add that to what I get from ETS and my full-time job, and I think my projected income next year would be $80,000.

Of course, that's a very well earned $80K, because I'd be working 102 hours a week at my peak. There's 168 hours in a week, so spread over 7 days it's 9 hours per day of off time. Reasonable! I'm glad I'm building up my health now because I'll need it to stomach through that much work.

At $80K, I can actually follow the MM path next year. Here's hoping for Trump and a massive recession to make things cheaper to invest in. =3=
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 AM   #246
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I'll be officially working for a local seafood fast food restaurant within the next couple of weeks, starting at $9 an hour. First job, it's part time and not too difficult. Should be solid.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #247
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Next up on Savvy's foray into the life of a gigging musician:

I played a recording session for a pop tune a couple of days ago. Idk if I'll be paid or not, the singer was buying everyone lunch as a thank you, but I had a class. But the cool part is, this was a pretty legit song. Apparently they're sending it to some big producer or something. I'll post a link somewhere once it's available, but until then I just hope something happens with it because then I get cool bragging rights. I should really think about an actual job lol.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #248
deh74
Noted homosexual

I'm starting work at a local gas station on Monday. I was supposed to start last month but then they decided that I was going to replace the college students who are going to be leaving soon.

At my other job at Gillette Stadium I saw Tom Brady a few weeks ago. It was awesome.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #249
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
I'm starting work at a local gas station on Monday. I was supposed to start last month but then they decided that I was going to replace the college students who are going to be leaving soon.

At my other job at Gillette Stadium I saw Tom Brady a few weeks ago. It was awesome.
Do you not pump your own gas in Mass? We don't in NJ, which angers my grandfather every time he comes to visit.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #250
deh74
Noted homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Savage View Post
Do you not pump your own gas in Mass? We don't in NJ, which angers my grandfather every time he comes to visit.
No we pump our own gas. You just have to come inside to pay and we also have a little convenience store. Basically I'm a cashier.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc