UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 01-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #251
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhhhh View Post
The Nature isn't random. It's uh... based on the last two digits of the total EXP of your mon.

That's a fucking weird decision right there.
This. Every Level 100 'mon you transfer over would have a Timid nature I guess. Which is definitely fine for some but for others... not so much.

Thank goodness for No Guard Fissure Machamp not being legal tho
Old 01-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #252
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I still stand by that No Guard Fissure Machamp is really nothing more than a stale meme; I doubt it would have many any significant splashes in any meta because there are a lot of natural checks to that strategy. It was the most relevant move sent via transporter though, so there is that.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #253
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Arbok will have Unnerve instead of Shed Skin or Intimidate, Jigglypuff will have Friend Guard instead of Competitive, the Oddish line has its round of super bad abilities instead of Chlorophyll, Venomoth won't have Tinted Lens, Diglett will have Sand Force, Meowth will have Unnerve, Fissure Machamp will have Steadfast (haaaaaaaaaaaaaa), Bellsprout gets Gluttony, Geodude won't have Sturdy, Rapidash will have Flame Body, Hitmonchan gets Inner Meme, Hitmontop will get Steadfast, Lickitung gets Cloud Nine, Horsea gets Damp, the fossils get Weak Armor and Mewtwo gets Unnerve. Those are the big ones. But I think its a moot point: pretty sure you can breed hidden abilities away.
Need I actually remind you that I haven't played any games beyond Diamond and don't really have a good idea of what's good and what isn't?

The way the Natures are handled is kinda... odd, but I guess they had to do something to make it work, so I won't dog GF too much about that. Have we had any sort of confirmation regarding IV's and EV's, though?

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #254
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMana View Post
The way the Natures are handled is kinda... odd, but I guess they had to do something to make it work, so I won't dog GF too much about that. Have we had any sort of confirmation regarding IV's and EV's, though?
I'm actually kinda OK with how they're handling natures, now that we have a good idea as to what to do to get the desired nature. It's like they wanted to make the natures seemingly random, while also giving us a degree of control over them. I managed to get a Jolly Tauros and a Modest Articuno so far.

Near as I can tell, IVs are random, but everything transferred in gets 3 guaranteed 31 IVs, and EVs seem to be completely wiped out upon transfer.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #255
dirkac
uhhhhh

So because I unintentionally took a break and experienced a variety of screeching halts in plot progression (breeding for 6iv shiny minior, getting Pokédex to 60% and getting one member of every evolutionary line available) I have finally challenged the League.

And jesus it was actually challenging.
Like, actually really challenging.
I was already very underlevelled (my highest was a Level 50 decidueye) and tbh I would have been like 7 levels lower if it wasn't for the stops in the plot I did for SOS Battles, Dexing, and minor Grinding.

That said though, I really like the E4 this time around. Everyone posed a challenge and all felt fairly unique. The Type lineup was good too, and all the characters were pretty great.
Kahili had to have been my favourite fight though if only because of how many things she does that stay around for the battle like Wntry Hazards, Status, Tailwind, etc.

also that music is super top notch even if it really sounds like it doesn't fit
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #256
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

has anyone fought myamoto yet?

Thanks to my best friend Missingno Master for the banner
óÓŇň furry, witch, and pansexual.
Little (little age of 2-4)
Hater of loss meme
Little (space): someone who goes to a younger sense of mind to deal with stress and anxiety.
crazy in love with my boyfriend AcendedDailga
kawaiiconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #257
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiiconcept View Post
has anyone fought myamoto yet?
Yeah, I like to battle him for experience points.

Now, then! People, another Global Mission is upon us. From now until Valentine's Day, we gotta accumulate 1,000,000 GTS trades. This one is doable, people! The prize for hitting a million trades is 4,000 Festival Coins (400 if the goal isn't met). In addition, anyone who contributes at least 5 trades gets a Rare Candy, and if the goal is not only met but also doubled, every participant also gets a Friend Ball.

Anyone remember the Magnemite Coil from B2/W2? For those of you who don't, a common practice back in those days was to just trade Magnemite for Magnemite on the GTS as a quick and easy way of getting people into Join Avenue (basically the forerunner to Festival Plaza). But anyway- the Magnemite Coil seems to be making a comeback, with people swapping Magnemite for Magnemite on the GTS once more. Magnemite are easy to catch in this game- not hard to find at all on Route 1- specifically the gated area just west of the Trainer's School. So yeah- sign yourself up for the Global Mission, catch a Magnemite, and get trading! We got a goal to meet, people!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 AM   #258
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Yeah, I like to battle him for experience points.

Now, then! People, another Global Mission is upon us. From now until Valentine's Day, we gotta accumulate 1,000,000 GTS trades. This one is doable, people! The prize for hitting a million trades is 4,000 Festival Coins (400 if the goal isn't met). In addition, anyone who contributes at least 5 trades gets a Rare Candy, and if the goal is not only met but also doubled, every participant also gets a Friend Ball.

Anyone remember the Magnemite Coil from B2/W2? For those of you who don't, a common practice back in those days was to just trade Magnemite for Magnemite on the GTS as a quick and easy way of getting people into Join Avenue (basically the forerunner to Festival Plaza). But anyway- the Magnemite Coil seems to be making a comeback, with people swapping Magnemite for Magnemite on the GTS once more. Magnemite are easy to catch in this game- not hard to find at all on Route 1- specifically the gated area just west of the Trainer's School. So yeah- sign yourself up for the Global Mission, catch a Magnemite, and get trading! We got a goal to meet, people!
now that sounds doable

Hater of loss meme
Little (space): someone who goes to a younger sense of mind to deal with stress and anxiety.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #259
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

The goal has been met. But if you're registered on PGL and make 5 trades you get more prizes...rare candies and a Friend Ball
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:28 AM   #260
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

how do i evolve marinie into toxapex?

Hater of loss meme
Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #261
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiiconcept View Post
how do i evolve marinie into toxapex?
Level 38.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:13 AM   #262
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

oh
ok
thanks m.m

Hater of loss meme
Old 02-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #263
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Considering playing through Sun again, this time with a mono-Poison team.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #264
Heather
Naga's Voice

Finally posting in this thread! Moonlocke going on, team is Incineroar/Mudsdale/Araquanid/A-Raticate/Shiinotic/Sylveon.

Stamina Mudsdale breaks the damn game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #265
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Picked Rowlet as my starter for my mono-Poison playthrough so my team could have an instant type advantage over Hau's Primarina. However, I failed to factor in two things. One, Spinarak is the only member of my team I was able to get until getting access to the Hau'oli Cemetery, which required first defeating Ilima. And two, if you started with Rowlet, Ilima's Smeargle knows Ember. That battle was hellish.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #266
Heather
Naga's Voice

RIP Heimdall the Sylveon. Welcome aboard Odin, aka Uncle Drampa.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #267
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Okay but real talk when are the Pyukumuku body pillows coming out?????

I haven't made much progress but I did beat the Totem Wishiwashi last night.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #268
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Mono-Poison Sun playthrough's going well. I got a Mareanie, a Weepinbell, a Haunter, and an Ariados so far. Just training up Mareanie a bit before I head to Wela Volcano Park.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #269
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

MM, let me know if/when you'd like help evolving your Haunter. I have plenty trade evolutions I can do to fill my dex.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #270
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Appreciate the offer, but I've already gotten Haunter evolved by now. I'll let you know the next time I need a trade evolution done, though.

Oh, yeah, update- the team now consists of Garbodor, Victreebel, Salazzle, Toxapex, Gengar, and Ariados. Currently in Po Town.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #271
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey! So, the last time I posted here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So, a couple of other things to write in on before I advance further with the plot ...

(Safe to click if you've already read books inside a building with a bronze-skinned familiar face ...)

Spoiler: show
Lusamine: I get the feeling she's a villain who means well and is going to end up being redeemed and rejoining the light. Her whole schtick seems to be, she cares too much. She loves Pokémon so very, very much that she's resorting to some rather drastic measures to ensure their safety. We'll have to see.

I initially was of the impression that she was Lillie's older sister, forming a trio with Lillie and Gideon. But once it was revealed that she's over 40, it became a pretty easy slam dunk to theorize that she's Lillie's mother. Will be very surprised if she's not. Like, "Put down $100 on Lillie's mother" certain that she's Lillie's mother.

The part where she mentions that children would be okay if only they listened to adults ... sounds like something a mother whose daughter is disobeying her might say. Gives the impression that Lillie has gone against Lusamine's wishes and Lusamine is saddened and/or angered by this.

It is interesting to see how both Lusamine and Lillie care about the well-being of the Ultra Beasts but seem to have opposite aims. Lillie tells us she's trying to get Nebby "home", which with the information we have now seems to suggest she's trying to find a way to open the portal and return Nebby to the other dimension. Lusamine, meanwhile, indicates that she requires Cosmog in order to keep the Ultra Beasts anchored in our realm; otherwise, they can't maintain their presence here and they automatically teleport back to the realm from whence they came. Why this is a problem, I don't know, but Lusamine seems to think it is.

Evil Aether Dude with the Four-Letter Name: So yeah. Not a terribly memorable name for me at this moment. ^^; And I can't risk looking it up for fear of downstream spoilers. But yeah ... you know the guy I'm talking about. The one we rescued shortly before Olivia's challenge. The one with the two tufts of green-yellow hair on an otherwise bald head. This guy seems like he's going to be the Ultimate / the True Villain of the game. Whereas Lusamine will be "evil" but not really, this guy will be evil and will actually be evil. What his relation with Colress and Lusamine is, we'll have to see, but yeah ... I don't trust this guy worth a damn. In typical Game Freak fashion, I feel like his evilness is telegraphed by how quickly he foists us off to someone else (Wicke) to be our tour guide, meanwhile he goes away to attend to "important business". In stark contrast to Wicke's attractiveness and friendly demeanor, this guy is ugly and cold.

Wicke: She's got that whole "sexy dorky" thing going on. Like a Velma (live-action Scooby Doo movies) only slightly less sexy than that, a little more dorky and less likely to be experienced in, say, "bedroom affairs." Anyway ... Wicke seems like a nice lady. Like a lot of the people we've met in the Aether Foundation, honestly. :o I'm increasingly getting the impression that the Aether Foundation is Team Plasma all over again -- nice underlings joining an evil organization, unaware that it's evil, duped by the evil superiors in the organization, attracted by a seemingly noble goal. In Plasma's case, it was the liberation of all Pokémon. In the Aether Foundation's case, it's ensuring their well-being. Anyway, when the shit hits the fan and it's revealed that the Aether Foundation isn't all it's cracked up to be [/talon theories], I imagine that Wicke will have a leading role in providing us assistance from within the organization.

Samson Oak: So! :o Professor Oak! ............. Yes? No? I don't know. XD It's hard to say. Clearly, he's meant to make you think he's Professor Oak. He identifies as a professor. Rotom is familiar with him, a nod to the anime (in which Oak caught a Rotom during the events of Gen 5 and then it was in the PokéCorner with him at the end of every episode for like three years). Facially he looks identical to Professor Oak. But then there's his name ... Samson, rather than Samuel. And there's his bronze skin color, intense Alola suntan or no. And then of course there's his long white hair, something Oak has never been seen with in any of his appearances in other games. So is this his brother? An identical twin, maybe? Or is it the actual Professor Oak? Or maybe ... is it Professor Oak from another dimension? o.o Is that where we're going with this plot here? "Samson Oak" is the Professor Oak of the Sun and Moon dimension whereas "Samuel Oak" is the Professor Oak of the RBYGSCRSEDPPt universe? Only time will tell. I really hope we're not Legend of Zelda'ing the Pokémon timeline 'cause I really don't want to have to deal with that headache. But if we are, we are, and it'll be a crazy ride.

The Princess in Rags: So we meet a girl who identifies as royalty, saying her dad was the former king (lol what) and I guess then that would make her a princess. She explains that the monarchy is no more, but like ... If Alola is meant to be anything like Hawaii in real life, then wouldn't the last monarch have to have ruled some 150-200 years ago? I mean ... Is she a ghost? XD 'Cause that was my first impression when I first saw her -- "Ghost-type Gym Leader." Maybe she's a ghost. I dunno. Regardless, I feel like she'll end up tying in somehow to any possible crossovers between this game's plot and XY's.

The book in the library: Pretty interesting. It's an alien concept to me to think of "Pokémon that aren't really Pokémon" / "Pokémon from another dimension/reality", but it looks like that's what we're dealing with here now in our canon. The Tapus appear to be creatures from another dimension ... and the box cover legendaries, I'm not sure on the interpretation there, whether they're wormhole aliens too or whether they're locals who just so happened to pwn the Tapus. But regardless, we've got this weird thing going on where the Tapus fight the box covers and then the box covers, despite emerging victorious/undefeated, decide to gift the Tapus with god-like powers, or something. I dunno. I'm still really early into this plot development.
... it was the middle of December. We're now about to embark on the final week of February, so it's safe to say "it's been a while" since I last played Pokémon Sun! ^^;

I dunno what it is, but the game just hasn't been anywhere near as magical for me as it appears to have been for 90% of players. Most spoiler-free places I look, I get bombarded with "BEST. GAME. EVER!" sort of sentiments, and it's sad to me, 'cause ... A, I liked X and Y a hell of a lot more than I do Sun and Moon and it makes me sad that fewer people were as on board that train as I was; and B, I just don't see how the hype is justified. ^^; Sun and Moon are perfectly fine games for me so far, but "amazing" or "best in the history of the series" they are not. They've got a lot of naggling flaws, and apparently they added up on a subconscious level so much so that I put the game down for a solid two months to pursue other recreational pursuits.

Well, I'm back now. And hopefully this next phase of my Sun playthrough will be much more positive than the last phase was.

The following box is safe to click on if you are about to set foot on Route 16. Put another way, it's safe to click if you've been introduced to Sharpedo already.

Spoiler: show
Cameos: One of the things that I want to say Sun and Moon do well (and failing the ability to say that, I can at the very least say that they try to do well) is all of the wonderful and surprising cameos we've been getting. Running through the list so far ...
  • Sina and Dexio (Kalos)
  • Colress (Unova)
  • Samson Oak (Kanto, sort of)
  • Grimsley (Unova)
Pretty much all of the cameos have surprised me. They haven't been ones I'd normally think of. Like ... Cynthia, for example. Or Diantha or other Champions. Famous characters from Kanto. (Samson being an imposter, he doesn't count ...) Looker. Instead, these have been more like the delightful Jasmine cameo in Diamond and Pearl. And hell: even Jasmine had more of a fan following in 2007 than the likes of Colress or Grimsley did in 2016. So it's really, really neat to me that they're deciding to bring out of retirement some rather "low-key high key" characters, if you know what I mean.

Zygarde: So I finally reached the area where you can assemble a Zygarde out of the Cells and Cores you've been collecting. Unfortunately, my first two assemblies were Brave and Gentle. I immediately tired of trying to soft-gen an ideal Zygarde, disassembled my green canine one last time, and moved on. I might return here later. I don't have a strong attachment to most of my team members and so I think it might be fun to have Zygarde 10% on the team. We'll see.

Team Skull Boss: So underwhelming I've already forgotten his name. They seem to be hinting at past history between him and Kukui, but we already had this on a grander, more up-front concrete scale with Sycamore and Lysandre last generation so I'm not really super excited by it if it's really there. As for his whole "the Tapus didn't select me to be a hakuna so fuck the hakuna system! " bent, it's both good and bad for how simple and small it is. It sure doesn't compare with Cyrus.

Decidueye: I just wasn't feeling it with Dartrix. :\ So I decided I didn't want to make myself suffer, didn't want to force myself into playing with a Pokémon I wasn't super excited for. So I went ahead and let him evolve into his final form around Level 45. This was premature per my original plans of having him evolve after the fight with the third hakuna, as he evolved well before I had even reached the sixth "gym" (the abandoned shopping mart with the ghosts).

I like Decidueye okay. Grass/Ghost isn't quite the "OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! " revolutionary typing it once was, what with Gen 6 having gotten there first. And I'm not too sure how I feel about a non-Ghost type evolving into a Ghost type, seeing as that would seem to have to imply that Dartrix dies to become Decidueye. Then again, this isn't the novel territory that some might make it out to be: we already "snuffed out" Snorunt when evolving it into Froslass.

For the most part I like how he looks. Yes, his legs are just long enough to lend his design towards the anthropomorphic / "furry" build of starters like Blaziken or Delphox. But his overall design is still animal enough, owl enough, that I can happily perceive him as an owl. He's just an owl with really long legs. ^^;

I enjoy that his signature move is actually useful. A slightly stronger Shadow Claw with the added bonus of trapping. It was disappointing in Gen 6 to have Delphox and not get to use her special move (which even had a ballin' name!) because of how weak it was. But a base 80-power move with bonus feature? That's more than usable. And the Z-Crystal even transforms it into a base 180-power nuke.

The team: Currently my team is:
  • Lv.50 Decidueye
  • Lv.43 Rimbombee
  • Lv.42 Gumshoos
  • Lv.37 Minior
  • Lv.36 Pyukumuku
  • Lv.33 Stufful
Of these, the only keepers are Decidueye, Ribombee, Stufful, and (team mascot) Pyukumuku. I owe my sixth gym challenge to Gumshoos, but I just. am not. feeling him at this time. Minior is there as a placeholder. He's cute. He has decent moves. He never sees battle. ^^;; Even Pyukumuku, whom I bill as team mascot, is possibly up for removal. I mean, it's hard to justify keeping someone on the squad whom you never ever use just because he's a cutie patootie should someone better come along later. But I really do adore Pyukumuku, so his spot is safe until the other two have already been replaced.

Festival Plaza: I'm pretty hopelessly lost when it comes to the Festival Plaza. I am going to need to consult a walkthrough some time soon. I never use mine because I hate it / don't know how to use it, but this is a self-fulfilling doom. I think if I knew how to use it better I would be using it as much as I used to use Join Avenue in BW2.

Kukui's dreams of a Pokémon League: Not sure if I discussed this the last time I posted or not. It was something I discovered around the time I last posted, regardless. But to just go ahead and weigh in on it now ... if I had to place bets based on where I am right now, my thinking would be that Kukui will be the temporary/first Champion and that the four hakunas will be the first Elite Four. The game hasn't really done enough to justify me thinking other possibilities are more likely at this point. I'm not really sure how to feel about the whole thing. I have a mess of conflicting feelings on it.

Graphics: Continue to be pretty bad, imo. I mean ... "pretty bad" is a stupid way of putting it when so often the game looks the prettiest it's ever looked, but like ... there are two other times where it just looks terrible, and I know I've mentioned these both before:
  • human characters' faces during cutscenes
  • frame rate drops during Doubles battles
These are both things I really hope to see addressed in a Switch port of the games (or otherwise a Gen 8 game on the Switch).

Calling for help when I am trying to capture things: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

I know I've mentioned this one before too, but man if it doesn't bear repeating. I hate how hard they've made it to capture fairly ordinary Pokémon all because of this idiotic calling for help feature. I sorely wish there was a way to disable it, whether in the settings or whether by use of an in-game item.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #272
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Inflicting status on a wild Pokémon will stop it from calling for help.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #273
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Inflicting status on a wild Pokémon will stop it from calling for help.
Not a single one of my Pokémon learned one via level-up. Not sure if I have T-Wave, but even if I do, I wouldn't want it on my Decidueye or Ribombee.

Still, that is nice to know. I will be making big use of it if I do get someone who learns a sleep or paralysis move.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #274
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
So, after roughly 220+hrs of gameplay, I'm almost done 100%ing this game. The only things missing are reaching Festival Plaza rank 100, collecting every piece of clothing in colors not included in shops (involves Plaza use), and completing the Battle Tree Multi Battles. The first two will get done eventually as I play along, and I had just managed to reach battle #50 at the tree... but you can imagine how that feat went in typical Battle Tower fashion. My AI partner had a Mega Alakazam lead and Lucario in the back. My opponents lead with Mega Gyarados and Mega Charizard X. AI then chooses to use Psychic on the Gyarados as it transforms instead of helping me double up on Charizard which sets up a Dragon Dance. Things escalated quickly from there... and despite this I almost managed to stabilize somehow, until the last remaining mon on my opponent's arsenal managed to land a Freeze off a Blizzard as soon as it came in... and this, my friends, is the kinda thing that makes you almost want to chuck out your 3ds out the window in rage. I guess I'll have to try again once the salt dissipates away, but really, I wish I had a more reliable partner to take on this grind. Multi battles are usually easier than standard doubles imo, but having to guess what bad choices your partner is about to make all the time really adds a layer of insanity to it all.

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #275
Heather
Naga's Voice

@Talon: Decidueye's based on an extinct species (the stilt owl), this is the explanation many will offer as to its ghost typing. But you probably already knew that. Having a Ghost is good for this game though, but I can't say more on that without going into spoiler territory for you. My Moon nuzlocke personally has Alolan Marowak on that front, and 10/10 would recommend...once you have a Heart Scale and have access to the Move Relearner, which, slightly spoilers, is not for a long while, much to my annoyance. >_>

Minior is good once it gets access to Shell Smash: if it lives through setting it up, it becomes a monster, especially if Shields Down procs to further increase its attack and speed. have yet to use one myself ingame proper, but from my experiences with comp, at least a solid 9/10 in potential.

Lucky you getting a Stufful I have yet to so much as encounter one between both my Moon files.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON