UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #201
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Opelucid (white) theme is baller. I've left my gameboy on for a few hours with that playing just because I wanted the background music.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #202
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Nuzlocking this game is a massive pain in the arse, that bloody critical hit ratio will be the bane of me...not to mention scaleable XP gains making it hard to be totally overlevelled.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #203
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric Juniper
Do you know the move False Swipe? False Swipe always leaves a tiny bit of the targeted Pokémon's HP. It's great for catching, because it doesn't make them faint!
In a games where damn near every PKMN is suicidal by way of knowing Take Down (and if not that then stuff like Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Head Smash, Wild Charge, etc) or other potential self-sacrificing stuff stuff like Petal Dance, Thrash, Perish Song... he suggests using False Swipe to catch them??

Cedric Juniper confirmed for master tier troll.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #204
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Strongly disagree.

A, what you've described can and often does still happen with lowering guys to the red.

B, False Swipe use to catch wild Pokemon is usually one of the first steps a player takes from being a total newb to being an intermediate skill-level player.

But you've certainly got the makings for one of the many Pokemon web comics out there these days. ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #205
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Nuzlocking this game is a massive pain in the arse, that bloody critical hit ratio will be the bane of me...not to mention scaleable XP gains making it hard to be totally overlevelled.
Recently I was thinking about the scaleable XP gains and how hard it would make solo runs.

...Which makes me want to do a BW one even more. D:
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #206
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Strongly disagree.

A, what you've described can and often does still happen with lowering guys to the red.

B, False Swipe use to catch wild Pokemon is usually one of the first steps a player takes from being a total newb to being an intermediate skill-level player.

But you've certainly got the makings for one of the many Pokemon web comics out there these days. ^^;
I disagree with your disagree! In past games it was a no brainer ta use false swipe to catch PKMN. Back then 80% of wild PKMN weren't likely to have a damage recoil move on hand. Why do ya think they introduced critical captures? Cause you're gonna need alil luck on your side thats why!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #207
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I actually had no idea why they introduced critical captures. Don't know that I'll ever forget the first time it happened to me though. "D-did I just use my Master Ball!? ....... waaaaaait a second! I DON'T HAVE A MASTER BALL YET!"

I disagree with your disagree with my disagree ... but lest this get too complex, I only disagree with it at the same original level I disagreed with you the first time around. Soo ... "I disagree with you."

(1) 80% have a damage recoil move on hand now? Oh come now. I could believe 10% tops and even that I'd have a hard time believing.

(2) If you're that worried about recoil, don't use it against ones who have recoil moves.

-OR-

(3) If you're that worried about recoil, take preventative measures against it -- namely, use Sleep Powder or Spore.

Indeed, the best all-around purpose Pokémon catcher in the games remains a Level 100 Adamant Parasect with good defenses. Not because Parasect is grand by any measure, but because he can learn both Spore and False Swipe. Dude was immensely worthwhile to keep on hand in HGSS and I don't see that being much different for B/W once you import things over. Turn 1, outspeed (thanks, Level 100 stats!) and put to sleep @ 100% accuracy. Turn 2, swipe. Turn 3, start throwing balls. Should it wake up and do a recoil or selfdestruct move? Meh, try again next creature. You still did everything right. (And in the case of something like selfdestruct, False Swipe wasn't what hurt you anyway. I know you didn't mention this. I'm just saying. )

Maybe you have a point that it's less useful than in Gen 4. But to say that this guy is trolling people ... I find that hard to believe. I would still use False Swipe.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #208
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Agreeing with Talon about False Swipe.

When I heard about Critical Captures from my friend, I didn't believe them. Thought it was some rumor they heard online. After looking on serebii, I was surprised to find they were right. Apparently, the trainer can now score a critical hit when hurling the pokeball- Or it's possible a critical capture is the pokemon being captured off it's guard.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #209
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

If ya's say so! Its still a viable move for catching PKMN I never denied that. There is a 3 in 4 chance PKMN won't knock itself out to for those that have self-sacrificing moves. Just seems like overall its effectiveness has been cut from past gens. It might make the catch more satisfying I guess... but its still kinda a dick move to have that as an in-game tip (then again who even bothers to get their pokedexs rated...) when only all of 12 Unova PKMN can even be taught the dang move lol.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #210
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Can somebody find me the interview (Japanese or English, either works) where GameFreak was interviewed about how they wanted to reach out to their adult fans with Generation 5, and how they tried to do so via such things as:
  • a kanji script (using characters at young adult proficiency) to go alongside the age-old pure-kana script
  • bumping the protagonists' ages up from 10 to 15, kind of shitting a bit on the adolescent wish fulfillment that had come with having 10-year old child heroes who save the world ... while not completely shitting on it since, duh, 15 year olds are still kids, they're just older
  • placing an even heavier emphasis on the story than ever before, equipped with "complex" villains (For Pokémon, anyway, they're pretty complex.)
  • other stuff I know I'm forgetting
I'm trying to find the interview but it's proving hard to Google it, at least for me. Maybe one of you will have better luck or already knows where I can find it. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON