Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
MCXD
Cascade Badge

Ori and the Blind Forest

Website Link
Wikipedia Link

(Warning - I will be gushing)

Ori and the Blind Forest is a metroidvania developed by a small team known as Moon Studios, and published by Microsoft Studios. It tells the story of Ori, the little white creature in the banner up there, and their quest to restore the forest of Nibel after it became corrupted and decayed following a cataclysmic event. The game was released on March 11, 2015 for Xbox One and PC (via Steam) to critical acclaim, scoring very highly with mainstream reviewers and maintaining an "overwhelmingly positive" response on Steam across 4000+ user reviews.

If I had to describe this game in a word, it would be "beautiful"... and I don't just mean that in a graphic sense. The art is some of the most gorgeous I have ever seen in a video game, with an unwavering vibrancy and detail rivaling historic animation studios. The soundtrack is perhaps the best I've ever heard from an indy game, and contributes immeasurably to the atmosphere, playing off of the environments and the action in perfect sync. The story and characters, while simple, are absolutely endearing, and build a surprisingly strong, emotional connection with you also immediately. The opening and ending sequences in particular are stunning, powerful and tragic.

But this game isn't all flash and no substance. Behind its incredible presentation is an equally solid gaming experience. The controls are crisp, intuitive and responsive, and the movement is amazingly fluid... and all of that is important, because this game actually gets pretty hard! Although it's a metroidvania, it leans more strongly on the "platformer" and "exploration" sides of the equation, rather than "combat" or "puzzles". As such, some of the later areas have platforming challenges reminiscent of Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV in terms of their intensity and the mastery of the game mechanics required. While there is a fair amount of combat, it's not at all the focus.

Now I will admit, Ori and the Blind Forest doesn't do much to innovate the genre in a huge way. If you're looking for something new that you've never seen in a game before mechanically, then you might be better off looking elsewhere. What this game does do, however, is take the metroidvania and platformer genres and refine them into something that can be only be described as a work of art - a four year coming labor of love that reaches the fullest extent of what a game in this area should be: A breathtaking world that is immensely satisfying to explore.

If you're a fan of platformers or metroidvanias, or simply interested in experiencing and exploring an incredibly immersive world, then I can't recommend this game enough. It really deserves more attention than it's getting, in my opinion!

Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts on the game? Feel free to discuss anything to do with the game here, everyone, but please tag your spoilers. If you have any questions, feel free to ask those as well. If someone really wants to try it out but doesn't have the money, I might be willing to gift it on Steam to one or two people if they ask in the thread.

Last edited by MCXD; 04-16-2015 at 05:37 AM.
MCXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I played a preview of this at Comic-Con last year. It looked like a cute game. Maybe I'll get the full version then like I did with Brothers. (I feel like I have an eye for spotting good titles at CC now. *shot* Wonder what they'll have this year...)

That said, I wouldn't say no to a free copy. *double-shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

So I bought this game and I'm currently playing through the first part. The story, while simple, is enjoyable and the gameplay is mostly solid, although there has been a few graphical glitches with some projectiles. Fair warning to those looking to play this game: It needs a fairly decent computer with a good CPU and like 4 GB RAM. It's pretty intense
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I disagree with the fact that it hasn't done much to innovate: The Bash is something at least I have never seen before, and holy shit is it one of the best parts of the game.

Though to be honest, I think this game would be perfect if not for
Spoiler: show
the escape sequences.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
Sneaze
Mrow?

So I've been playing through after having bought this a couple days ago, and it is PHENOMENAL. Easily the best game I've played in years, which is saying something given how incredibly simplistic it is... and yet, it finds itself being far from simplistic at times. The music is amazing, the scenery is gorgeous, it's got a spectacular story to it and is fairly challenging with lots to do. If you're looking for a great game, Ori's worth every penny you'll put into it and then some.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
MCXD
Cascade Badge

For those who like the soundtrack, here's a really good audio interview with the composer, Gareth Coker: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tracksounds...ker_031715.mp3 - Quite a bit of insightful stuff into the development of the game, not just the music.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I like the 2D and/or still art a lot. That's a pretty generic statement that really doesn't fully express what I'm feeling, so for the indigo stag version:

I've got a huge uncalley valley syndrome when it comes to a lot of games, books, and media these days. Stereotypes don't come across as people. Generic backgrounds, even if they're rich and populated, don't entice me to suspend animation. You know Sword Art Online? Looked totally fake art-wise, and had fake personalities in it. Could not watch it.

To this work's credit, the artwork is lush and imaginative, like the old days when I watched the Brackenwood series of stories. Brackenwood was way more realistic to me (or rather, believable) than Avatar's Pandora ever was. And so it goes.

Should be a movie, maybe.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
MCXD
Cascade Badge

Ori is -40% off today as part of the Steam Monster Summer Sale. If you haven't played it, now would be a good time to think about picking it up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games