Talon87
時の彼方へ

My impatient.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #302
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Damn Talon, where did you get that impatient? Looks pretty good for winning battles.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #303
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
That does seem to be a pretty useful impatient.

Of course, all these forfeits make me less than enthusiastic about PS
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #304
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
That does seem to be a pretty useful impatient.

Of course, all these forfeits make me less than enthusiastic about PS
It tends to only happen on randbats. If you play a tier, forfeits happen far less often. But they do happen.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #305
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
It tends to only happen on randbats. If you play a tier, forfeits happen far less often. But they do happen.
Maybe you missed the part where "My impatient" was an NU video. Yes, your precious, precious NU. ;p

Sorry, but PS is a POS when it comes to the community's crybaby attitude about many things. People jet constantly, people give up left and right, ... it's pretty bad. Yes, Random Battles is the worst, but I've seen it happen quite a few times in NU too.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #306
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
This reminds me of when I did Wi-Fi comp battles and you'd be winning and then all of a sudden you'd lose the connection. Then the opponent comes on the chat and says 'sorry I lost signal' even though the difference between a legit DC and someone just shutting their DS off is really fucking obvious.

Also Phoopes has tempted me toward PS for 4th Gen battles. Might do that since I've got all of my 'mon from there backed up.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #307
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Also Phoopes has tempted me toward PS for 4th Gen battles. Might do that since I've got all of my 'mon from there backed up.[/COLOR]
I think I like P-O more still (we'll see), but if you're interested in exporting all those Pokemon you created in P-O, you can. You export them to puretext (P-O has a way to do this) and then you copy and paste that text into PS. It's how I got my OU team over with as little hassle as possible.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #308
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

'geet, no snarky commentary on how badly I play at three in the morning?

Am disappoint.

EDIT: I haven't really seen any quitters in UU. Other than one person who bonafide forfeited because they thought I had the game, which was odd because I thought I was gonna lose.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #309
Emi

A stall on stall match

I won this one, but it was through the thaw hax on freeze. all things said, Talon would have won if it wasn't for that. Anyways, GOGO TURN BY TURN RECAP BECAUSE WYNAUT!

Spoiler: show

Turn 1: I start off the match the same way I would any other way, by leading with Politoed. He leads with Hippowdon, gaining the weather advantage. I don't exactly mind, since my team runs just as well under Sand as it does under Rain, but his IS a Sand Stall team while mine is a rain. I know he can't OHKO me, unless it was Banded Hippo but that was unlikely, and go for the Scald, hoping for a burn to make it easier for Tentacruel to switch. He sets up Rocks, I get a good 40% off of the Scald, and by Round 2, I should have him weakened enough.

Turn 2: I plan to Encore the Stealth Rocks thinking he would stay in and try to Earthquake me. It doesn't work as he switches to Jellicent. Admittedly, it was really stupid.

Turn 3: Jellicent is a majot problem if it stays in, so I want to keep its time to a minimum. Plus, I don't run Toxic, so I decide for a Perish Song to keep it from staying in for long. I'm met with a speedy Taunt. Great. -_-

Turn 4: I switch to Tangrowth, who sucks up a Scald like a bro, gaining the advantage.

Turn 5: He switches in Zapdos on a Giga Drain, doing little damage and giving me practically no health back. I definitely don't want to stay in on him, so I go and switch.

Turn 6: I've used Heatran against this Zapdos before, and figure it is a good counter to Zapdos, since I can set up Rocks pretty easily. A neutral Thunderbolt does pittance.

Turn 7: He unleashes his SECRET WEAPON! HP Fighting. Okay.....I set up Rocks so that Zapdos has a harder time switching in.

Turn 8: blah blah blah protect

Turn 9: FFFFFFFFFFFF he switches to Forretress while I switch to Lando-T I was hoping to take an HP Fighting(not realizing he had Heat Wave), set up Gravity, and OHKO with Earthquake. Then this happens. I switch to Jellicent hoping to spinblock.

Turn 10: Note, its U-Turn. But who cares? It does crap, he sets up spikes. I'm shitting over here. Turn 10 and he has the one thing down that I hate.

Turn 11: I got for the Scald, since I don't run Taunt, and he sets up another set of Spikes. Crappppppppp

Turn 12: Another Scald, he Volt Switches meaning he can get a free switch in. It doesn't do too much damage though, but the entry hazards will.

Turn 13: Out comes Tangrowth. I switch out to Heatran hoping to take a Giga Drain, and he uses Sleep Powder. And hits! Damn. Heatran is basically useless now.

Turn 14: I send in Tangrowth because the only thing he can do is Leech Seed. Good call, but it was obvious.

Turn 15: I use HP Ice hoping to dent the cavebush, for him to switch in Forretress. Probably just to sacrifice it.

Turn 16: HELLO ZAPDOS! YEAH NO! I switch out to Landorus-Therian, expecting a Thunderbolt, and I do get one. It hits for nothing, and now, I have the advantage.

Turn 17: Oh crap. He can actually hit me. Damn. Gravity is set up though, so I use Earthquake on the next turn.

Turn 18: He switches to the Hippo, probably thinking I would U-Turn out of Tangrowth, and it takes enough damage for me to KO it on the next turn. Guess what I do?

Turn 19: He falls, and now, I'm at a 6-4 advantage. Looks peachy right? WRONG. In the back of my mind, I know I've already lost.

Turn 20: In no sort of hell am I keeping in Lando on Jellicent. There is no chance of a OHKO on Jelli. I U-Turn out, doing some chip damage, and switch in Tangrowth, who takes the Scald and gets burned. I don't mind burn, but with the hazards up I just can't Regen out the damage.

Turn 21:Aiming to abuse Gravity and get more accuracy on my Sleep Powder I try that. To get a taunt smack in the face. Crap.

Turn 22: I am figuring Zapdos is coming in. So, I HP Ice to get some chip damage. WRONG. I end up doing nothing to Jelli while it KOes my Tangrowth.

Turn 23: I switch in Politoed to gain the weather advantage, and Heatran is useless anyways. I Protect to help recover from hazards, and I get a Supwise! :3 in the form of Giga Drain. SHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT

Turn 24: Out comes Tenty, so I can try to set up Toxic Spikes to put this match on a timer. And crap I get hit with Taunt. Nothing I can do here.

Turn 25: I switch to Heatran for the sacrifice, taking a Scald and losing him.

Turn 26: Out comes Tenty again, I know I can set one turn of TSpikes before he Taunts me.

Turn 27: Politoed comes in on a Scald, and this is when I realize something. SHIT, I HAVE NO WAY TO FORCE JELLI OUT! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Turn 28: Again, I try to regain some health with Protect.

Turn 29: STOPPED AGAIN! No perish Song. ;;

Turn 30: Out comes Tenty right into a Scald, and it burns. Shit.

Turn 31: I set up the last layer of spikes, and take another Scald. At this point, I am just going to spam Protect.

Turn 32: You can see my comment as I see everything crashing down. My spinner is out, and I have SR and 2 layers of Spikes. Protect.

Turn 33: He switches in Jirachi.

Turn 34: He U-Turns out, a smart thing to do, KOing my Tentacruel and I wait for the switch-in. Its...Tangrowth? And Lum Berry. -_-

Turn 35: Out comes Jelli, our answer to Tangrowth, and I scald, scoring a Burn. He Giga Drains, not doing too much but restoring some health.

Turn 36: Hoping to stall him out, I Recover, for him to put down the Seeds. I have to switch here.

Turn 37: Lando isn't raped by hazards thankfully, and I hope to U-Turn out to Poli. He uses Sleep Powder which misses. Thank the heavens.

Turn 38: I admit that there is only one shot of winning, and that is with Lando-T. I have to finish this on the offensive side. I need Jelli weakened down, and I need Gravity up. Very hard to do, especially with a Jirachi that I don't know the set to, but it might work. Out comes Poli. He takes an HP, probably Hidden Power Ice, and it does nothing.

Turn 39: I'm predicting a Jellicent switch, which he does, as he becomes Toxiced and under the effect of Perish Song. Now I can switch in Lando easier later in the game.

Turn 40: Ever see a Perish Song user without Protect?

Turn 41: The second one fails, he uses Scald, and I don't Burn. Phew!

Turn 42: He switches into Zapdos, and I, expecting Tangrowth, switch into Jellicent. This isn't looking good, but I don't NEED Jelli to win. So, I'll try to wear out Zapdos.

Turn 43: Scald hits and burns on a Roost. Now we are talking!

Turn 44: Thunderbolt hits, and leaves with me 2%. I Recover from this hoping to Stall out Thunderbolt.

Turn 45: Thunderbolt isn't breaking me without a crit or paralysis, and in the mean time, he takes more damage from the Burn.

Turn 46: Jelli is at 100% percent now. I can even attack and not worry.

Turn 47: But...I expect another Thunderbolt, and switch in Lando. And the play is good!

Turn 48: I don't want to set up Gravity and give Tangrowth a switchin, so I hit him with Stone Edge. It hits, but he uses Roost instead.

Turn 49: This is the clutch moment. He roosts, while I hit him with Earthquake. I was half and half expecting it, since Stone Edge could KO at that point, and I was rewarded!

Turn 50: Out comes Jelli, and I play risky. hoping to KO with Earthquake...victory! Things are looking up!

Turn 51: Not much I can do to Tangrowth, so I U-Turn out into Jelli. He uses Sleep Powder, probably expecting this, which I'm fine with. Burn finishes him off.

Turn 52-56: He Tricks me, then Iron Head flinches me to death. I was hoping for a Scald burn, but nothing happened.

Turn 57-58: I realize that Poli cannot get rid of Jirachi with Perish Song. Well damn.

Turn 59: Here is where the game-changing hax, and I am so sorry about this Talon. It was definitely your win. He hits with Ice Punch, can definetely 2HKO me, and it FREEZES. BUT THEN, I THAW OUT! :> ;; So much mixed emotion as I KO with Earthquake. I was happy that I won, but sad I won in such a cheap way.

All in all, I screwed up a couple of times and ended up doing pretty well at the end. Even with Spikes I eeked out a win, but Talon really should have won. GG Talon.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #310
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
A stall on stall match

I won this one, but it was through the thaw hax on freeze. all things said, Talon would have won if it wasn't for that. Anyways, GOGO TURN BY TURN RECAP BECAUSE WYNAUT!

Turn 1: I start off the match the same way I would any other way, by leading with Politoed. He leads with Hippowdon, gaining the weather advantage. I don't exactly mind, since my team runs just as well under Sand as it does under Rain, but his IS a Sand Stall team while mine is a rain. I know he can't OHKO me, unless it was Banded Hippo but that was unlikely, and go for the Scald, hoping for a burn to make it easier for Tentacruel to switch. He sets up Rocks, I get a good 40% off of the Scald, and by Round 2, I should have him weakened enough.

Turn 2: I plan to Encore the Stealth Rocks thinking he would stay in and try to Earthquake me. It doesn't work as he switches to Jellicent. Admittedly, it was really stupid.

Turn 3: Jellicent is a majot problem if it stays in, so I want to keep its time to a minimum. Plus, I don't run Toxic, so I decide for a Perish Song to keep it from staying in for long. I'm met with a speedy Taunt. Great. -_-

Turn 4: I switch to Tangrowth, who sucks up a Scald like a bro, gaining the advantage.

Turn 5: He switches in Zapdos on a Giga Drain, doing little damage and giving me practically no health back. I definitely don't want to stay in on him, so I go and switch.

Turn 6: I've used Heatran against this Zapdos before, and figure it is a good counter to Zapdos, since I can set up Rocks pretty easily. A neutral Thunderbolt does pittance.

Turn 7: He unleashes his SECRET WEAPON! HP Fighting. Okay.....I set up Rocks so that Zapdos has a harder time switching in.

Turn 8: blah blah blah protect

Turn 9: FFFFFFFFFFFF he switches to Forretress while I switch to Lando-T I was hoping to take an HP Fighting(not realizing he had Heat Wave), set up Gravity, and OHKO with Earthquake. Then this happens. I switch to Jellicent hoping to spinblock.

Turn 10: Note, its U-Turn. But who cares? It does crap, he sets up spikes. I'm shitting over here. Turn 10 and he has the one thing down that I hate.

Turn 11: I got for the Scald, since I don't run Taunt, and he sets up another set of Spikes. Crappppppppp

Turn 12: Another Scald, he Volt Switches meaning he can get a free switch in. It doesn't do too much damage though, but the entry hazards will.

Turn 13: Out comes Tangrowth. I switch out to Heatran hoping to take a Giga Drain, and he uses Sleep Powder. And hits! Damn. Heatran is basically useless now.

Turn 14: I send in Tangrowth because the only thing he can do is Leech Seed. Good call, but it was obvious.

Turn 15: I use HP Ice hoping to dent the cavebush, for him to switch in Forretress. Probably just to sacrifice it.

Turn 16: HELLO ZAPDOS! YEAH NO! I switch out to Landorus-Therian, expecting a Thunderbolt, and I do get one. It hits for nothing, and now, I have the advantage.

Turn 17: Oh crap. He can actually hit me. Damn. Gravity is set up though, so I use Earthquake on the next turn.

Turn 18: He switches to the Hippo, probably thinking I would U-Turn out of Tangrowth, and it takes enough damage for me to KO it on the next turn. Guess what I do?

Turn 19: He falls, and now, I'm at a 6-4 advantage. Looks peachy right? WRONG. In the back of my mind, I know I've already lost.

Turn 20: In no sort of hell am I keeping in Lando on Jellicent. There is no chance of a OHKO on Jelli. I U-Turn out, doing some chip damage, and switch in Tangrowth, who takes the Scald and gets burned. I don't mind burn, but with the hazards up I just can't Regen out the damage.

Turn 21:Aiming to abuse Gravity and get more accuracy on my Sleep Powder I try that. To get a taunt smack in the face. Crap.

Turn 22: I am figuring Zapdos is coming in. So, I HP Ice to get some chip damage. WRONG. I end up doing nothing to Jelli while it KOes my Tangrowth.

Turn 23: I switch in Politoed to gain the weather advantage, and Heatran is useless anyways. I Protect to help recover from hazards, and I get a Supwise! :3 in the form of Giga Drain. SHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT

Turn 24: Out comes Tenty, so I can try to set up Toxic Spikes to put this match on a timer. And crap I get hit with Taunt. Nothing I can do here.

Turn 25: I switch to Heatran for the sacrifice, taking a Scald and losing him.

Turn 26: Out comes Tenty again, I know I can set one turn of TSpikes before he Taunts me.

Turn 27: Politoed comes in on a Scald, and this is when I realize something. SHIT, I HAVE NO WAY TO FORCE JELLI OUT! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Turn 28: Again, I try to regain some health with Protect.

Turn 29: STOPPED AGAIN! No perish Song. ;;

Turn 30: Out comes Tenty right into a Scald, and it burns. Shit.

Turn 31: I set up the last layer of spikes, and take another Scald. At this point, I am just going to spam Protect.

Turn 32: You can see my comment as I see everything crashing down. My spinner is out, and I have SR and 2 layers of Spikes. Protect.

Turn 33: He switches in Jirachi.

Turn 34: He U-Turns out, a smart thing to do, KOing my Tentacruel and I wait for the switch-in. Its...Tangrowth? And Lum Berry. -_-

Turn 35: Out comes Jelli, our answer to Tangrowth, and I scald, scoring a Burn. He Giga Drains, not doing too much but restoring some health.

Turn 36: Hoping to stall him out, I Recover, for him to put down the Seeds. I have to switch here.

Turn 37: Lando isn't raped by hazards thankfully, and I hope to U-Turn out to Poli. He uses Sleep Powder which misses. Thank the heavens.

Turn 38: I admit that there is only one shot of winning, and that is with Lando-T. I have to finish this on the offensive side. I need Jelli weakened down, and I need Gravity up. Very hard to do, especially with a Jirachi that I don't know the set to, but it might work. Out comes Poli. He takes an HP, probably Hidden Power Ice, and it does nothing.

Turn 39: I'm predicting a Jellicent switch, which he does, as he becomes Toxiced and under the effect of Perish Song. Now I can switch in Lando easier later in the game.

Turn 40: Ever see a Perish Song user without Protect?

Turn 41: The second one fails, he uses Scald, and I don't Burn. Phew!

Turn 42: He switches into Zapdos, and I, expecting Tangrowth, switch into Jellicent. This isn't looking good, but I don't NEED Jelli to win. So, I'll try to wear out Zapdos.

Turn 43: Scald hits and burns on a Roost. Now we are talking!

Turn 44: Thunderbolt hits, and leaves with me 2%. I Recover from this hoping to Stall out Thunderbolt.

Turn 45: Thunderbolt isn't breaking me without a crit or paralysis, and in the mean time, he takes more damage from the Burn.

Turn 46: Jelli is at 100% percent now. I can even attack and not worry.

Turn 47: But...I expect another Thunderbolt, and switch in Lando. And the play is good!

Turn 48: I don't want to set up Gravity and give Tangrowth a switchin, so I hit him with Stone Edge. It hits, but he uses Roost instead.

Turn 49: This is the clutch moment. He roosts, while I hit him with Earthquake. I was half and half expecting it, since Stone Edge could KO at that point, and I was rewarded!

Turn 50: Out comes Jelli, and I play risky. hoping to KO with Earthquake...victory! Things are looking up!

Turn 51: Not much I can do to Tangrowth, so I U-Turn out into Jelli. He uses Sleep Powder, probably expecting this, which I'm fine with. Burn finishes him off.

Turn 52-56: He Tricks me, then Iron Head flinches me to death. I was hoping for a Scald burn, but nothing happened.

Turn 57-58: I realize that Poli cannot get rid of Jirachi with Perish Song. Well damn.

Turn 59: Here is where the game-changing hax, and I am so sorry about this Talon. It was definitely your win. He hits with Ice Punch, can definetely 2HKO me, and it FREEZES. BUT THEN, I THAW OUT! :> ;; So much mixed emotion as I KO with Earthquake. I was happy that I won, but sad I won in such a cheap way.

All in all, I screwed up a couple of times and ended up doing pretty well at the end. Even with Spikes I eeked out a win, but Talon really should have won. GG Talon.
So, I promised comments. But first, some disclaimers ...

The team I used in this match was not my team. Rather, it was a team I pulled from a RMT article in The Smog, Smogon's digital periodical. I thought it would be fun to take it for a test spin. Sort of like a man who owns a Honda taking a Mercedes or a Ferrari for a test spin. Sort of a guilty lil' pleasure, what with its abuse of weather and legendaries and such. So yeah. Any credit you may wish to give the team for their moves, chemistry, and so forth should go to the team's creator, not me.

Blaze may not have made this apparent to you, but he was actually battling at a slight disadvantage. Putting aside that he was pitting his homebrew team against a published Smogon team, this was also not the first time I'd seen his team. In fact, we had just fought a previous match (which I lost by some margin I've forgotten, something like 0-2 or 0-3, I can't be sure) and we had discussed -- or I had discussed, he just sort of politely listened -- some modifications I might make to the team to better deal with some of the shortcomings his own team had exposed in mine. Long story short, I added HP Fighting to Zapdos specifically because of Heatran and other non-Psychic Steels, replacing Toxic (which, as you might imagine, was shit worthless). And I swapped out Jellicent's Will-o-Wisp for Giga Drain because, frankly, I feel like 75%acc Will-o-Wisp is almost a waste of a move if you're going to run Scald anyway, and I definitely needed some more punch on the set. Not to mention I wanted a way to do something to his Jellicent and Politoed besides Taunt them to death. What's funny about this is, I had just given Blaze a stern lecture about the evils of counter-teaming. And yet what I did (which I swear to God wasn't intended as counter-teaming -- our second match was genuinely to discover whether these changes were an improvement or not!) ended up sort of playing out as such. So yeah, that has to be said.

So now ... let's rewatch this video and I'll point out the majorly questionable decisions Blaze went with which resulted in me being completely screwed.

Turn 6: He knew I'd placed HP Fighting on this bird. We had discussed it in the chat. He also knew that my response to a Heatran switch-in was to use Thunderbolt and not Heat Wave, fearful of Flash Fire and willing to still hit something. Now ... I can well appreciate why he might not want to have risked switching in a Jellicent here under normal circumstances, but when you have a guy who just got done talking about how much he was pissed that Zapdos's Thunderbolt did little to Heatran and how its Heat Wave and Toxic and Roost could do nothing to it, a guy who was so excited to see how much damage HP Fighting would do, it would be a pretty safe bet that he was going to use HP Fighting in anticipation of the Heatran switch-in. And thus you'd want to absorb that with either Jellicent (zero damage) or Tentacruel (marginal damage). But no. He switches in Heatran and my plans to catch him off guard with Thunderbolt are thrown off.

"Oh, but Talon!" you say. "You're overthinking things!" On this turn? Maybe. On later turns? Not at all. You'll see. You'll see.

Turn 12: I was expecting him to Taunt. What Jellicent doesn't know Taunt!? Apparently Blaze's. -_-; So I Volt Switch out ... a Forretress who has no chance of entering the battlefield alive again. And I give Blaze the advantage of choosing what my Tangrowth will be up against next turn. Goddammit.

Turn 14: He claims this was obvious, but considering our Tangrowths run pretty different movesets and I don't think he'd ever seen me use Leech Seed before, I'm not sure why he thought this was obvious. Regardless, at the time I was pretty frustrated+baffled by his queer logic to switch a Grass-type in to fight a fellow Grass-type instead of switching in his Landorus-T. Oh well, let's just chalk this one up to good prediction on Blaze's part, shall we? and not a legitimate mistake. Next!

Turn 16: WHY WOULD YOU EVER ASSUME I WOULD THUNDERBOLT HERE!? -_-; No one in their right mind would use Thunderbolt against a Tangrowth. And that's precisely what I was counting on you to expect. ARGH. Again, maybe this can be chalked up to just being a genuinely good call, but ...

Turn 23: Ugh, you and your scouting. If only I'd remembered that you're such a scouting freak ...

Turn 24: ... except I made lemonade out of dem lemons. "All too easy" [/vader] to see that you'd switch in Tentacruel there.

Turn 37: This pretty much decided the game. 75% accuracy move ... one in four chance of missing. Not bad odds. And it happened. Sigh, fuck, all the emotions save joy, it happened.

Turn 38: Okay, here it is! I'll be honest, rewatching this battle, I didn't find many "OH YA THAT IS SO TOTALLY CLEARLY AN EPIC BLUNDER! " mistakes, and I was starting to doubt that I'd find any. Half of the ones above can be chalked up to good predictions by you though I don't buy it for most of them ;p and the other half aren't that serious. But here. This turn. This fucking turn. If I had Giga Drained you here, I'd have KO'd your sorry froggy ass. What's more, you're Landorus-T! Why the fuck are you running away from a Tangrowth that YOU JUST SWITCHED INTO THE TURN BEFORE!? I'm at 26% health! You either can kill me and should ... or else can't kill me and thus should never have switched in in the first place! Which one is it!? GYAGH! ^^;

Turn 43: After I Thunderbolted your switched-in Heatran ... after I Thunderbolted your switched-in Landorus-T ... why oh why oh WHY wouldn't you have assumed I'd have Thunderbolted here!? That was the OBVIOUS choice. SO obvious, in fact, that I knew you would call it, knew you would switch out to Landorus-T, and thus knew I could squeeze in a free Roost. WHAT THE FUCK, MAN!? Your ass woulda been MINE had I done the Battling 101 thing and just T-bolted away!

Turn 45: WHY DON'T YOU SWITCH OUT THIS VERY TURN!? Yes, I'm more or less pressuring you to do so via constant T-bolts, but wouldn't the normal assumption have been that I'd T-bolt this turn (WHICH I DID) and so you should switch in Landorus-T? WHY ARE YOU RISKING CRITICALS?

Turns in the 50s: You were very self-effacing in your post above regarding the thawing out, but don't be. I flinch haxed your Jellicent twice in a row, crucially for my shot at a comeback. Even one failure to flinch you would've meant possible Scald burns, and those would've guaranteed put a stop to my comeback sweep. Yes, yes, it really is too bad (and quite frustrating ) that I was lucky enough to freeze you only for you to be lucky enough to thaw out immediately (wtf) and OHKO me. But meh, the OHKO is understandable coming off a legendary with a 3x damage advantage and a base 100 power move. But yeah. Frustrating. >_< To think Jirachi is faster than Landorus-T ... to think I almost had this ... *sigh*

So yeah. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was. Not until towards the end, anyway, when you made those blunders I've indicated with bold red text. But those were quite few considering this was a 59-turn match.

You battled well, you were a great sport, and that's really all one can ask for. Besides victory. XP Thanks for the game. As for my tour of this Smogon guy's team ... I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hate to admit it, but ... I'm quite liking the Wishmaker. ^^; WE WILL SEE. We will see.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #311
Sneaze
Mrow?

So I decided to play a little UU... because when I try OU I get curbstomped.

My opponent was not smart... Fire Blast misses a lot.

I make really horrible calls... shinies are cool I guess.

I make bad calls that cost me the game... knowing when to Recover is your friend.

I fight the same person I did all of ten minutes ago... fuck Pory.

This guy's friend proceeded to try to heckle me... I put the smack down on him shortly thereafter.

Last one for now... THE BIGGER THE RISK THE BIGGER THE PAYOUT BIATCH.

Feel free to point out the things I am doing horribly wrong, as that's the large majority of the reason I've posted so many games instead of just the interesting ones.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut

Last edited by Sneaze; 05-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #312
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein PTSD nightmares of Goldenrod Gym are triggered for someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Feel free to point out the things I am doing horribly wrong, as that's the large majority of the reason I've posted so many games instead of just the interesting ones.
Will do. Just now noticed you edited in quite a few battles since I saw the post last.
Regarding the first battle:

Your opponent seemed to be pretty dumb.
  • Focus Blast on Turn 4 is, at best, something he intended for whoever he thought you would switch in. Let's give him at least that much. Let's not assume he meant the attack for Froslass the Ghost type. ^^; But even so, this was dumb of him. Why would you switch out? You had the advantage here. To say nothing of the fact that with all of those entry hazards he'd put forth, there was no easy way for Froslass to ever return.
  • Who the hell puts Black Sludge on a Trick user? Choice Items, dude. Choice Items.
  • And who the hell switches a Lead Ball onto a Prankster like Sableye? ^^;
  • And why did he keep attacking Sableye with Return? Again with the "let's give him benefit of the doubt; he was aiming for your next switch-in" logic? I dunno, I feel like we're starting to be a bit too generous with this guy ... ^^; He should've U-Turned *ages* ago!
But yeah, you made some questionable decisions too.
  • Turn 13, for example. Why did you switch out here? Yes, you were confused, and yes, you quite like Kingdra, one of your team's intended sweepers, but with all of those entry hazards on the field and only 1% HP remaining, this was a mistake no matter how you slice it. You should've left him out and hoped for the best regarding confusion. Especially since your team lacks someone who can remove entry hazards.
  • And what about Turns 23 and 24? It's the end of the match, 4-1 (though with Kingdra out of commission it's more like 3-1), and you're in a prime position to OHKO or 2HKO this bastard with Dark Pulse. So why aren't you doing it? You go for inaccurate, he's-not-weak-to-it Fire Blast and you miss ... twice. You can't help bad luck, but in this case, it feels like you went with the wrong move period. Dark Pulse has a chance to flinch the enemy, and it has STAB (like Fire Blast), and he's weak to it, and it's 99.9% accurate. Sure, base 80 vs. base 120, but his weakness to it makes the relationship more like 160 vs. 120. So 160 with chance for flinch and 99.9%acc vs. 120 with chance for burn and 85%acc. I know which one I'd pick! ^^;
Anyway, not too bad.

Note: See Battle 5 commentary for more on your Houndoom and Sucker Punch vs. Dark Pulse.

Regarding the second battle:

While it does strike me as strange to lay entry hazards down right before a known Rapid Spinner, you're quick to remind me why it doesn't matter: your typing. But what's puzzling is ... your opponent tries to clear them anyway. Turn 3 was a mistake. Blastoise likely runs Toxic (confirmed), Rapid Spin (confirmed), Scald (confirmed), and Ice Beam. He's already poisoned you and the other three moves are unaffected by Taunt. He also doesn't need to switch out: decent enough bulk against any Ghost-type moves you might throw his way and great enough bulk + resistance to not have to worry about your Ice moves.

Wow, this guy seems pretty stupid too. ^^; I can't believe he willingly tossed his spinner like that over a halfdead Froslass who was badly poisoned. What an idiot. ^^; The correct thing for him to do in this situation (when you kept Destiny Bonding) was to switch out to somebody else and let Toxic do the rest.

Turn 8, I would've used Waterfall. Chance for a flinch, and Outrage + Waterfall is likely to 2HKO anyway. I gather you were going for a OHKO via Outrage's first salvo, but as we see, it didn't quite work out.

Turn 11, I was going to say that he was an idiot for leaving his Bisharp out against your Swampert, but then I saw the rest of his team. Yeah ... honestly, you already have him on the ropes by this point. ^^; Just so long as you don't lose Swampert and Gligar before he loses Chandelure.

Turn 12 was imo a bad mistake. While I would've been wrong (because he used Return), the expectation here is that an Ambipom will always lead off with Fake Out. It's free damage with a guaranteed flinch + priority. No reason not to do it. The fact that he used Return instead does surprise me, but the outcome would've been the same either way had you anticipated Fake Out and switched in Sableye: zero damage to you instead of losing Swampert. With the salamander-fish-thing gone, you're down now to Houndoom and two middleweights. Not good, especially not since he still has Flash Fire Chandelure left (whose mere presence scares you out of using Fire Blast on the other two in case of a switch) and Zoroark (who hampers your use of Dark Pulse*). Repeating one last time, the correct thing to do here (both with and without hindsight bias, emphasis on without as well) was to switch in Sableye.

Turn 13 was another mistake. The majority of Ambipom run straight offensive sets (like Fake Out / Return / U-Turn / [other move here]), so it would've been doubtful that he would've tried to do anything requiring Taunt's help.

Turn 15 was great fortune.

Turn 16, were you worried about Nasty Plot? Good call, though it looks like you gave your opponent too much credit there. ^^;

Turns 19 and 20, perfect.

* Note: Again, see notes for Match 5 regarding me bringing up Dark Pulse all the time when you run Sucker Punch.

Skipping ahead to the fifth one since these things take le time and I am le tired and want to move on to other things right now ^^; ...

Regarding the fifth match:

Not really sure what the plan was with Gligar, but I guess all's well that ends well? ^^; You're lucky he didn't land a critical hit.

lol @ Turn 8. Smartass opens his mouth about Gligar getting "destroyed" (lol what?) only for his idiot friend to Protect ... as you predictably Dragon Dance. ^^; Even his friend is giving him shit for it by Turn 10.

Turn 13: Not sure why you bothered to Taunt. If I had been him, I'd have gone for your jugular with Waterfall or Crunch or Earthquake. I think you're only too lucky what an idiot he was and that he really had been attempting to Taunt you that very turn. Say he had gotten his Taunt off (because you had gone with Foul Play). So what? You'd have been at 100% health and he'd have just died then. Instead you lost 50% health (and risked far greater, including another flinch) but retained your right to use Prankster moves like Taunt and Will-o-Wisp. Really worth the trade off? I don't think so. Chandelure's Shadow Ball probably wouldn't have been able to knock you out had you been at full health, and you could've done major damage to her via another Foul Play.

Turn 18: Is your Swampert choiced? I never noticed. But damn if that doesn't suck for you that you couldn't stay put to KO Muk. Don't mind me though. I don't use Swampert and so I have no idea how vital a Choice item may be to his usability. You do what works. Just remarking that this was an unfortunate situation here.

Turns 19 and 20: Wow. ^^; Guy sure was dumb there. "Fool me once, shame on you," yes, but "fool me twice, shame on me." He tried it twice before he withdrew Muk? ^^;

Turns 21 and 22: Veeeeeeeeeery fortunate. I have no fucking clue why he concerned himself more with HP Ice on Raikou (with which to kill you) than he did your Earthquake (by which to die). I'd have sent out Sigilyph and tried to fight you there. But no. He nearly dies in one hit, you nearly die in one hit, and then he dies. All around, incredibly fortunate for you. Fortunate that he switched Raikou of all things into your Earthquake, and fortunate that Raikou's HP Ice just barely failed to knock you out. Good for you.

Turns 32 and 33: A blunder on your part. Oh well. If it had been a feint, but it wasn't. Not really, anyway. The net difference between doing this and simply sending Houndour out on Turn 32 to begin with is that Muk might've died on Turn 33.

Turn 34: Okay, it's become clear to me by now that you don't appear to be running Nasty Plot | Fire Blast | Dark Pulse | {move} but that instead you've opted for Sucker Punch and a mixed build on Houndoum. Okay ... but yeah, you can see how unforgiving Sucker Punch is when you guess incorrectly. ^^;

Turn 39: I don't know what he was thinking. It was clear that Swampert could 3HKO Suicune, not just 4HKO, so I'm not sure why he thought Rest was safe here after the Chesto'd already been used up. He should've either forfeited the Calm Mind boosts and called Suicune back or else sacrificed Suicune but not before hitting you with a 2x SpAtk attack of some sort.

Turns 44 and 45: Yeah, if you're going to use Sucker Punch, you've got to become much better at predicting moves (and, by proxy, recognizing likely movesets). Am I going to claim to know Sigilyph's moveset? Hell no! But I also don't run moves that fail on me if I guess wrong. ^^; Something to consider if this keeps backfiring on you. You do have Kingdra, Swampert, and Gligar dishing out physical damage as it already is, so I don't know that you need Houndour to remain mixed rather than becoming a dedicated SpAtk sweeper.

Turn 47: Sooooooooo ... I guess Sigilyph was all talk and no action. ^^; You made it look easy. ;P

I missed it, but apparently his friend abandoned him on Turn 16. Writes "r u serus" and leaves. Some friend.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-07-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #313
Emi

Just note that Sigi would not have been able to beat Houndoom, so he had that match anyways. Mixed Houndoom is actually pretty viable and I used it on one team as a Chandy counter / check.

Otherwise, here is what I have to say:

With Swampert: If in doubt, use Waterfall. Stop using Stone Edge when you predict a flier. :P God forbid you face a Flygon and you do that.

With Froslass: Not sure why you only put up two layers of Spikes. Every match! You can do three.

With Sableye: I personally don't like this mon because of the plethora of noobs who use Confuse Ray on it, but is there a reason you run physically defensive? Or is it specially and Chandy just a boss?

With Houndoom: Can't access Smogon at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the mixed runs Dark Pulse. You play him well for a Pokemon that is more meh in UU than anything else.

With Kingdra: Nothing to say here, you use it pretty good. Try out the Rain Dance LO set though, it is a monster and gives you some more special ground.

With Gligar: No complaints here either. But Gligar is really easy to use.

These were more general comments than anything else. I've played UU a couple of times(and actually have a fairly successful RMT for it too), and it is nice tier to get started in if you don't like weather but need a better time getting into the game.

And fuck people who use Quick Claw.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #314
Sneaze
Mrow?

>And fuck people who use Quick Claw.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

>Swampert

Yeah, he's Choiced mostly due to building him bulky, so I can still OHKO a 'Lax after SR. The main reason I go with Stone Edge in a lot of those matches instead of Waterfall or his other non-STAB of Ice Punch is due to wanting to force them into switching in certain 'mon that I can take out with one of my other sweepers easily, as I can almost always switch Swampert back in due to his bulky build.

>Houndoom

...yeah seeing as I have Pursuit I'm just going to switch out Sucker Punch for Dark Pulse and see what happens, making his full set Pursuit / Dark Pulse / Fire Blast / Hidden Power Grass.

KINGDRA SWEEP FOR THE TURNAROUND LOL. The poor guy ragequit.

Last edited by Sneaze; 05-07-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #315
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I mean, the thing is, Sucker Punch can be very good 1) when used with remarkable accuracy and 2) in times of need for a priority attack. That's why people like it. But until you get a better handle on calling switches and on calling non-direct damaging attacks, I think the move is going to be doing you more harm than good. Give Dark Pulse a go and see how you like it. If you start encountering losses left and right where a priority move would've saved you, then you can revert to Sucker Punch. If on the other hand you feel that Houndoom is already plenty speedy enough and you want to capitalize on a good thing, I'd say go for Dark Pulse.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #316
Sneaze
Mrow?

I play prediction roulette and win... multiple times in a row.

lol Stall!Gligar... saved from a slew of bad calls.

I think I played this one really well... save for all the Xatu Magic Bounce BS.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #317
Emi

Now see kids, this is why Beat Up is bad. You lose the effective as time goes on. Then again, all of that applies to Awfulpom. >.<

If you EVER find yourself wanting to lure out Ghost types, Rock types, and Steel types with a 40 BP attack, you are better off using Mienshao, because it can actually defeat the latter two types with HJK, and can BP out of Ghost types. Plus, it has Regenerator.

Nicely played on the last one sneezy. Other than Xatu(which takes huge damage from Foul Play for some bizarre reason(other than it is a Psychic type, since most Xatu are physically defensive)

On the first match, that was pretty freakin great predicting. The kid ragequitting was pretty gay, but at least you proved your out thunk him on numerous occasions.

The second match...why did you use HP Grass in that match? I don't remember it hitting anything SE, which is the only reason anyone would want to run a HP(for example, Amoonguss uses it to hit Landorus). The Dark Pulsing was fine since I figured a switch in to Chandy as well(though Chandy has no real way to beat Houndoom without taking ridiculous damage.)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #318
Sneaze
Mrow?

>HP Grass

...I have no idea. My brain sprung a leak.

Decided to switch Houndoom to NP w/ HP Fighting... paid off first match due to taking down a Walrein that otherwise would have caused a lot of problems.

Now I just feel bad... pretty sure this poor person has never played comp before in their life.

Last edited by Sneaze; 05-07-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #319
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Today:
Wherein a gimmick costs me two Pokémon right off the bat. (OU)

Good thing that was all the battle cost me! Nah, I definitely thought I had lost this battle after Turn 3 or 4; I definitely felt like I was clawing my way up a very steep hill in the first third; and I didn't really feel confident until the score was 4-3 and I realized, "Holy shit, everyone he has left is part-Psychic and not a one of them resists Ghost, Dark, or Bug-type attacks! " (Togekiss, Hydreigon, and Staraptor, respectively.)

This battle was the debut of an old friend of an old UPN friend's, Light Clay Jirachi. It's a set far, far down on the page of Smogon's DPPt Jirachi OU article, one which isn't even listed in their BW version of the same page. But I figured it could be just what the doctor ordered for my team. Y'see, I tried using that Choice Scarf Jirachi ... and my track record was 0-3. ^^;; He can't outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion, nor can anybody else on my team, and that was posing a serious problem to my chances of rising above the 1600s on Smogon's OU tier. But then I remembered Stlbk's old Jirachi from our days of playing on Pokémon-Online during the HGSS era (before the release of BW in North America). And I thought, "Y'know ... this could be just the thing my team needs." See, my team has a lot of fragility to it. Staraptor? Glass cannon. Starmie? Glass cannon. Mamoswine? Pseudo-bulky but surprisingly weak even in his better defense (Def), never mind his weaker one (SpDef). My only real bulkmeister is Togekiss. So I figured, "What would it be like if I had Reflect and/or Light Screen up during my matches? :o" Problem is, I never got to use Jirachi. ^^; Its debut battle, and it got Adam Sandler's Waterboy-tackled out of consciousness. I'll have to give it another go next time.

Yesterday:
Uploaded mostly for Blaze so he can see how this one went. (This is the one you waltzed into at the very end.)

Turn 1 ended up being a waste of a perfectly good chunk of my life. Oh well. ^^; I still OHKO'd a potentially serious threat. (Poor Torterra. ^^; So Ice weak! ^^;;;; )

Turn 8 was very welcome. ;p

Turn 10 was very welcome!

As you can see, the battle reduced down to my Weezing @ 100% HP versus his Regice @ 36% HP and his Pinsir @ 100% HP. Honestly, I think it could've gone either way. Blaze seemed confident I had lost when he thought it was double 100 but then changed his tune to a certain victory for me when he thought it was 100 vs. 1 & 100. I might have overestimated Weezing's chances for killing Regice, it seems. 36% would've become 11% thanks to Stealth Rock, but Weezing isn't going to be doing 11% damage to a Regice with his Sludge Bomb. And that means Regice gets to Rest and yeaaaaaaaaaah, bad news bears.

Random Battle battle with Tdos.

My first time using the Smogon OU RMT team "Pocketman" against the public.

My second time using the Pocketman team against the public.

Hippowdon vs. Skarmory: the 103-turn battle!

A Challenge Cup battle where Solrock and Mightyena do good jobs, so check it out, fans of those two lines.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #320
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Could someone link me to the Monotype Tourney thread?

I can't find it. .__.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #321
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Could someone link me to the Monotype Tourney thread?

I can't find it. .__.
Filename says it all.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #322
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I forgot who made the thread! ;___;
Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #323
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You don't need to remember who made the thread. All you need to do is search the entire forum for all threads containing the words "monotype" and "tournament". I just gave you what came to my mind instinctively as the way to find it quickly. (And find it quickly I did.) Here's the result for searching the entire board for all threads in which the words "monotype" and "tournament" came up. A grand total of seven threads.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #324
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES! " ... I mean, Talon, when someone offers you a chance to set up both screens and not just one, you TAKE IT!

Yeah, this one almost wound up being my defeat at the hands of a (presumably) Choice Scarfed Chandelure thanks to my failure to put up a Light Screen.

But hey! Light Clay Jirachi did its job! Yay!

Yeah, Turn 6 was very stupid of me.

Guess I should be glad it didn't really matter. ^^; Hooray enemy Life Orb!

I fuckin' love Light Screen. T_T This is a move we used to all be such huge fans of back in Gen 1 (for understandable reasons!), but good lord has it fallen off the map in modern times. But man oh man, what is there not to love about chopping the enemy's power in half!?

Turn 11's pretty funny. Not for my opponent. ^^; But for me, wow. I did ~60% damage to your Slowbro after he'd just used Calm Mind? I realize I have STAB and you're weak to me, but dayum, son! You sure you shoulda stayed put?

Turn 13: I love it when people forget that Hydreigon loves Flamethrower.

Turn 14 was way too easy a call. He seemed genuinely disappointed that his feint didn't work, but ... c'mon, dude. ^^; Way too obvious. You're not gonna let me OHKO your Amoongus with Fire in the sunlight. C'mon.

Turn 16, I was quite pleased with that result. Figured Staraptor had a good chance of being KO'd by Gliscor. But I'll happily take such pathetically little damage (considering I'm 2x weak to Ice).

FUCK YES, I LOVE LIGHT CLAY JIRACHI! T_T As ashamed as I am to admit it. I must find a non-legendary equivalent!

Granted, this guy's team was theoretically asking for an asswhuppin' when you consider that he ran straight dragons. That's usually never a good idea. Except when you're facing a team like mine that's a) fragile and b) packs no Dragon-type moves and only has two team members with Ice-type moves. Then yeah, suddenly it's not so crazy! Take out the Mamoswine and the Starmie and it's smooth sailing, right? Right?

Oh, how my opponent must've wished that that were right. And it should've been! It would've been! But for Light Clay Jirachi. :'D Light Clay Jirachi, here to save the day, halving all damage outputs from the enemy, passing Wishes along, U-Turning rather than switching such that *he* takes the damage instead of the newcomer ... just perfect. So, so perfect.

Had I not had Light Clay Jirachi, I think my team would've been murdered by this guy. Even with Reflect and Light Screen up, some of these attacks were remarkably powerful.

Here, let's try a play-by-play analysis for this one.

Turn 0: I choose to lead with Mamoswine over Starmie or Jirachi. Mamoswine is Sashed and I figure it's worth the chance that he leads with ...

Turn 1: ... Garchomp. Perfect. He'll likely switch out to Kingdra but I don't care. Ice Shard away! What!? XFD He stays put!? But oh dammit , I fail to OHKO. And his Outrage takes such a huge chunk out of Mamoswine's health that the woolly mammoth is definitely not going to last throughout the match.

Turn 2: Self-explanatory.

Turn 3: I decided to see if I might be faster. ^_^; Apologies to anyone who gasped at this turn.

Turn 4: So, in between Turns 3 and 4, out comes Jirachi! I'm guaranteed a free turn of setup thanks to Outrage. Let's see just how much the pixie can absorb, shall we? 28.0% HP, huh? Not bad. Not bad at all, considering this is coming off of fucking Kyurem-Black. ( @ insanity of that monster being allowed in OU) And you know what this means? It means that once I get Reflect up, the damage output is going to be even less. So up Reflect goes!

Turn 5: Time to keep the Jirachi Choo Choo Train a-goin'! [/i'mlovin'this] Wish! If I stay put, I'll take it! If I get KO'd or have to flee, the next guy'll take it! His Kyurem-Black uses ... Flee Attack ^^; as he's called back and out comes Hydreigon. Interesting. Clearly he intends to use Flamethrower. So I'd better put a Light Screen up and fast!

Turn 6: Fire Blast! @_@ Oh shit! Oh, but thank God it misses! Phew, that was a close one! LIGHT SCREEN! AND WISH'S REWARD!

Turn 7: My U-Turn does about as much damage to his Hydreigon as his Fire Blast does to me when I have Light Screen up. This goes to show you just how powerful Hydreigon ordinarily is -- that's why I've got one too! -- but it also shows you just how awesome a job my Light Screens are doing of keeping me safe this match. Oh, this is gonna be awesome. Let's go for Staraptor, shall we? The intended move is U-Turn. If he switches, I basically outswitch the switcher. And if he stays put? We can only hope ...

Turn 8: Staraptor's out and I input U-Turn. Does my opponent switch? ... No, he doesn't! :o He stays put! And he dies in one hit! XD Thanks for the free meal! ;D I send out my Hydreigon, and he decides to send out his Salamence.

Turn 9: This is where my lack of Dragon Pulse kind of bites me in the ass. I should seriously, seriously put it back on over Sunny Day. In fact ... I'm going to go do that right now. ^^; *seriously goes to do this* Okay, back. Anyway, my Hydreigon lacks a Dragon-type move in this match, so my best option is to go for Dark Pulse. He doesn't resist it, I have STAB on it, and in the off chance that I'm faster, there's even that flinch chance. So that's what I go for. Well, to no one's surprise, he's faster. And he uses ... Dragon Claw? But HOLY SHIT! @_@ Even with my Reflect up, it still does 52.1% HP damage to me! Damn! That would've OHKO'd me ordinarily! And thus this is the first turn where we can truly say, without any shadow of a doubt, that Light Clay Jirachi saved my life. Without Reflect, I'd be down a Pokémon and he'd have a Salamence at full health. Thanks to Reflect, I've still got my Hydreigon (for now, anyway) and his Salamence is loses ~55% of its HP.

Turn 10: Not wanting to lose Hydreigon just yet, I call it back; and anticipating another Dragon Claw, I send out Jirachi. The goal will be to pass a Wish to Hydreigon at some point down the line. For now, however, I'm more concerned about those barriers failing. They should disappear any moment now ... Anyway, he Dragon Claws just as I predicted, and while he lands a critical hit (dammit >_<), it "only" does 31% HP damage to me. A lot, sure, but HOLY FUCK YES Jirachi is amazing. :'D Anyone else on my team would've likely been pulverized by that attack.

Turn 11: Wish up, Jirachi! Before you can take care of others, you've got to take care of yourself first! Salamence Dragon Claws again, desperately, and does a pitiful 8.2% HP damage. I'm lovin' it. And wuh oh, there it goes: Reflect just wore off.

Turn 12: Reflect away! Heal up!

Turn 13: Cast another Wish! Whoops, Light Screen just faded. So ...

Turn 14: Put up Light Screen again! And heal up!

Turn 15: So I could've set up another Wish here, but I decided not to since I knew who I wanted to switch in and he was already at full health: Staraptor. Jirachi easily soaks up yet another Dragon Claw and permits Staraptor safe entry thanks to U-Turn.

Turn 16: Thanks to the combined forces of Intimidate and Reflect, the enemy's Dragon Claw only does 20% HP damage. Against Staraptor, this is a miracle. I don't think I've ever seen my Staraptor take so little unresisted damage before, never mind from a force like Salamence. It's like I'm living in a dream right now. Staraptor goes ahead and uses his Return for the clean KO.

Turn 17: Between turns, the opponent sent in Kingdra. I fancied my chances against it, and thankfully I did get to go first. HOLY MOLEY, though! O_O 94% HP damage! You go, Staraptor! You go! Sadly, Kingdra does what we all saw coming -- sets up Rain Dance -- and I worry that I'll be losing my bird next turn to Waterfall, Surf, or Hydro Pump.

Turn 18: And Surf it is. Yet ... what's this? It ... only does 57.4% damage? That ... that's got to be some sort of mistake! I mean, this is Kingdra we're talking about here! Kingdra! In the rain! Using Surf! How is Staraptor not OHKO'd!? ...................................... *heavenly host's voices can be heard on high* *a light shines down from Heaven, golden and warm, and gently rains upon a Jirachi holding the TM for Light Screen* And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the second time we can definitely say, no ifs, ands, or buts, that Light Clay Jirachi saved my life. Without his Light Screen, I'd have been a goner. 57.4% times two is well over the 100% necessary to KO me. As it is, sure, it's still a lot of damage -- a 2HKO is nothing to sneeze at! -- but it's just not good enough for my opponent in this situation. He needs some clutch KOs to turn the tide of victory back around to him, and he's just not getting them because of my Reflects and Light Screens. Staraptor survives the wave of water ... and knocks out Kingdra with a second Return. The score is now 5-2. Five to fucking two. Me with my ragtag team, and him with his team of the tier's top dragons (minus Dragonite), two of which are legendary and three of which have been banned to Übers at one point or another in the past two generations. Unbelievable. And I owe it all to little Jirachi.

Turn 19: In between turns, he sends out Latios. And Latios uses ... Surf? O_o Oh, and he's apparently faster than Staraptor too. So Staraptor is down and out for the count, and the score's now 4-2.

Turn 20: Between turns, I send out Hydreigon. The goal is to OHKO (if lucky) or else 2HKO Latios with Dark Pulse -OR- to score some free damage on Kyurem-Black should he fear Dark Pulse (as right he should!) and switch Latios out. Well, he stays put, and he outspeeds me, but his Surf does very little damage to me even with help from Kingdra's rain. 13.2% HP damage is nothing. I fire back with Dark Pulse. 86% HP damage. Nice.

Turn 21: He Surfs again. Here's where it dawns on me -- "Ohhhhhhhhh! :o He's choice locked!" I'm not sure which one, though I'm guessing it's the scarf (given that the specs would have to generate more damage than this). Anyway, he's pretty much screwed, and this is looking mighty like gg. I knock out Latios, and he sends out his final Pokémon:

Turn 22: Kyurem-Black. I never did heal Hydreigon back up as I'd planned to originally, but I'm not sure it'd have mattered. Kyurem-Black unleashes a ferocious Outrage and it knocks Hydreigon unconscious. The score is now 3-1. But I know I've still got this. Why?

Turn 23: Because I've still got Jirachi, that's why. Jirachi's my choice for who to send out, and I prepare to ensure that victory is mine. Up goes Reflect first while I take an impressive 30.7% HP damage ...

Turn 24: Second is Wish while I take a halved Outrage that does 15.6% HP damage.

Turn 25: Third is Light Screen just in case (I learned my lesson last time! ) followed by Wish's healing power.

Turn 26: Fourth is another Wish. We're taking no chances here.

Turn 27: And finally I U-Turn out to my faithful Togekiss.

Turn 28: Kyurem-Black's Outrage does 42.6% HP damage to Togekiss. So it'd do a barbaric 85.2% ordinarily, to a Pokémon which prides itself on its bulk. Fuck, man. Just fuck. What has OU become, that it allows such beasts? But with the power of Reflect on my side, I think I know. ^^; Togekiss shakes off the pain from Kyurem-Black's attack aaaaaaand ... Aura Sphere! Kerblammo: it does enough damage to finish the dragon off. That's game. 3-0, our victory. Did Starmie even ever come out? ^^; I don't think so, did he? Wow. Just ... wow. I beat a team of dragons using mostly non-Ice, non-Dragon attacks and three Pokémon who were either neutral or weak to the enemies' attacks. And I did it thanks to the support of my friend, Light Clay Jirachi. Thank you, Jirachi. Thank you.

Long story short, Light Clay Jirachi is very much so doing his job.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #325
Sneaze
Mrow?

>Hippowdon v Skarmory

...why you didn't just start spamming EQ when he got below 50% health earlier on we will never know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON