UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

View Poll Results: Which Pokemon is which type?
Top: Fire 7 36.84%
Top: Water 4 21.05%
Top: Grass 5 26.32%
Left: Fire 6 31.58%
Left: Water 2 10.53%
Left: Grass 10 52.63%
Right: Fire 4 21.05%
Right: Water 12 63.16%
Right: Grass 1 5.26%
Won't be Fire/Grass/Water again, we're gonna get trolled by the Ninty 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #26
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Urgh, I'd have liked it much better if the grass dude was fire. As of now, all of them are equally ew-y.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #27
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Better than the 4th gen starters because one of them (Fire) is not shit, as opposed to all of them.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Actually, I'd say the fire one's the worst of the lot. It's that exuberance which kills him: he's just a little too happy. Take away the black in his coloration and I think he'd lose quite a lot of the love he's being showered with right now.

As has been mentioned, though, any of the lot's evolutions has the potential to look really cool. And a Fire/Dark pig could be interesting. As for the others ... the clownface's color pallet is suggesting the unusable Water/Ice combination. Perhaps if he has a third type it will be something which safeguards him against entry hazards? And the smug grass dude ... Can't say I care for Treecko 2.0, but there's always a chance that his evolution will be inspiring-looking. Sceptile 2.0 = no thank you.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Double post, but ...

PUT THE 3-TYPE THOUGHTS ON HOLD.

I was reading UPN via iPhone in bed earlier. Battery died, got my lazy ass out of bed, and decided to give the magazine a closer look on a larger screen ...

Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #30
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

That said, the grass starter is the only one that doesn't offend me with its ugly. Oy vey.

Here's hoping the evos are good.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So apparently while American fans are busy debating the Korean-inspired design of the fire starter, Japanese fans can't help but compare the water-type starter with this familiar friend from their childhoods.

Oh, GameFreak: not even 24 hours after the unveiling and already you've got the fans claiming that 67% of your new starter designs are uninspired copycats.

Seriously, I love Pokémon, so don't get me wrong, but ... I hope Gen5 fails hard.

EDIT: Just to clarify for those who don't know,
- the Korean drama in question was insanely popular with Japanese home audiences, and
- Doraemon is arguably the most famous comic / cartoon character in all of Japan
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #32
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
I want that pig.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #33
Emp
Volcano Badge

I'm going to have to let these sink in a bit more, because I remember disliking the Gen3 starters at first glance. The fire pig certainly looks awesome, but I really can't say the same for the other two. Mijumaru looks like a Beaver, Polar Bear and Snow Man all rolled into one. I think it's starting to grow on me already, so I won't cast any critical judgments just yet (I'd imagine it having some really cool evolutions). The only thing that's annoying me are the sprites. Pokebu's sprite looks really small and awkwardly positioned, sort of a step down from Gen 4 sprites - unless they improve closer to release.

As for the trainers, I'm glad they're older. Could this mean a more mature plot? Probably not. But everything else I've seen so far implies that this generation is going to try out a lot of new ideas. I can't to see some of them.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #34
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Don't get your hopes up. Given the in-game presentation of Gold/Ethan, Silver, and Kotone in HGSS in the original Japanese, and given that they're said to be 10 years old, the Pokémon games already have a gross disconnect between calendar age and behavioral or demonstrated age.

I mean, let's face it: how many 10-year old boys do you know who can take down a criminal organization plotting world domination? and defeat a dragon master of Lance's caliber? and defeat a host of other grown men and women in order to claim the title of Pokémon Champion?

$50 real-world dollars say the new heroes are 15 years old or younger. I'll be damned if we find out they're college-age. $15 real-world dollars say the new heroes are 13 years old exactly. If I am wrong, I will donate the money to a real-life charity of Kuno's choice.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #35
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So apparently while American fans are busy debating the Korean-inspired design of the fire starter, Japanese fans can't help but compare the water-type starter with this familiar friend from their childhoods.

Oh, GameFreak: not even 24 hours after the unveiling and already you've got the fans claiming that 67% of your new starter designs are uninspired copycats.

Seriously, I love Pokémon, so don't get me wrong, but ... I hope Gen5 fails hard.

EDIT: Just to clarify for those who don't know,
- the Korean drama in question was insanely popular with Japanese home audiences, and
- Doraemon is arguably the most famous comic / cartoon character in all of Japan
YES. That cat. All morning its been bugging the hell out of me. Doraemon was the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw rhe water starter and I've been trying hard to remember its name. It looks so much like it.

And does anyone get the impression the fire one is a rabbit with a pig nose? EDIT: didn't notice your previous post regarding the rabbit-pig connection. And in regards to your hoping it fails hard comment, I'm going to take you up on that and disagree--- I hope this generation turns out to be a great one. I wouldn't be surprised if it did fail though, but I hope it turns out alright.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 05-12-2010 at 11:08 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #36
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, this is kinda strange. We have names that were 'leaked', but we're only using them because the rest of the info in it turned out to be correct. So... grass is Tsutaja? Any Japanese reader care to translate?

Now, nicknames... Since I always name my starters after shades of their associated colors/their assosiated color in a different language...

Maybe Ao, since that's green in Japanese? I've already used Emerald, Olive, Green and Vert. Actually, the name's growing on me already. I think I'll go with that.

Having older characters is intruging. My guess is on 12-15. 'Cause 11 is rather redundant, and isn't really 'older'. On the other hand, 16 is a bit too much of a jump, as much as I would like it.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
And does anyone get the impression the fire one is a rabbit with a pig nose?
Yes, a lot of Americans on Serebii seem to. I even said so in the very post you just quoted. lol But I'll explain it a bit more ...

Korean television is very popular in Japan, depending on the show -- and a very popular Korean drama aired in December 2009, right around the time GameFreak would have been trying to finalize their creatures' basic designs (speculate some fans on Serebii whose posts I read). In this drama, the male lead takes a pig plushie and a rabbit plushie, swaps the rabbit's nose for the pig's nose, and gives the rabbit-with-a-pig-nose plushie back to the female lead.

And that's exactly what the fire starter is: a rabbit (for all intents and purposes) with a pig tail and a pig nose. Or, you could say it's a pig with rabbit ears. It doesn't really matter. The point is, it's a rabbit-pig / pig-rabbit and so was the plushie.

But as I mentioned, the Japanese posts I've read don't seem nearly so upset about the fire starter as they do the water starter. Doraemon meets Peppermint Patty indeed, Nick.

EDIT #1: I learned this second-hand since I watch lots of Japanese television but none of it is K-drama or C-drama imports.
EDIT #2: 青 (ao) means blue, but it incorporates some hues which to us Westerners would be considered green. Famous example is the traffic light, which 9/10 Japanese teachers will swear by as being blue. (Personal experience in asking them. lol) Likewise, the Gible in my signature is "blue" to most Japanese. The grass starter would never be considered 青 though since it's much too yellow of a green hue. My ignorant guess would be 緑 (midori, grass green) but it's entirely possible that native speakers'd pick a more specific hue term.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #38
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Hopefully, the third in the trilogy will be Pokemon Grey (Yes, Grey, yankees) and feature a much more mature protagonist, perhaps an octogenarian.

“Team Rocket, you bunch of hoodlums. This would never have happened in my day”
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm a language dork, so I couldn't resist. Sorry it's off-topic.

Straight from the source: the Japanese concept of 青

Note the beautiful, rich, sky blue color of (a) the sky (dur, lol) and (b) the butterfly they selected. Notice how if you use your imagination you can see how that hue is really not too different from the greeny-blue glass they use in traffic lights.

EDIT: The traffic lights article has this to say:
Quote:
日本では緑色表示を「緑信号」ではなく「青信号」と呼ぶ表現が社会的に定着してしまった。これは戦前、信号 機が日本に初めて導入された際、マスメディアが「緑信号」を「青信号」と表現したことによるものであるが、 背景としては一般的に赤・青・黄色が色の三原色としてよく理解されていることに加え、漢字の「青」は「gr een」と「blue」を厳密に区別しないが「green」を意味する語が多いため、日本人は「緑色」を「 青色」と表現することがあるという点が挙げられる。第二次大戦までの法令では「緑信号」と記していたが、第 二次大戦後の1947年に、法令でも「青信号」に変更した。 一方でフランスでは、黄色表示を「orange light(橙色)」、信号機発祥の地イギリスでは「amber light(琥珀色)」とそれぞれ呼ぶ。また、両方の言語があるカナダでは概ねどちらかの呼び方をする。近 年、普及してるLED灯器では旧来と同じように青信号は青みがかった緑色に発色するようになっている。これ は色弱の人でも黄信号や赤信号と区別しやすくするためである。
It's talking about how in Japan, you don't say "the green light" but rather "the blue light" and then goes into specifics of the terminology used domestically as well as technically / when speaking with internationals. They blame the discrepancy on the mass media. (LOL) Later on in the article they use 緑 (midori, green) a lot even though nobody colloquially says this.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-12-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

That so? Interesting. Midori sounds even better, though.

Good lord. I need to end this post before I start fan-spazing. QUICKLY.

EDIT: Okay, I'm better.

Don't see how japanese fans see a snowotter and think 'It's a rip-off of our beloved childhood cartoon with a cat-like creature!'. Too many people are just looking at colors. 0_o
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 05-12-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #41
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

The Pig is not a Rabbit. Everyone is crazy, stop being crazy. What next? Makuhita is a rabbit?

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #42
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dude, you're in denial. Those are ears, not bandanna tufts.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #43
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Agreeing with Zora. The 'ears' are rather more like Bandanna ties.

Have you ever seen ears that close together? Or without an opening? I thought not. If they are ears, they're ears designed to look like bandanna ties.
Quote:
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #44
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

They all look pretty ugly.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #45
Emp
Volcano Badge

On closer inspection, Ł1 real-money says the Grass starter loses its arms and legs (or keeps them Oo) upon evolution and becomes a snake... Too slender to be your run of the mill lizard I reckon
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #46
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Steel View Post
Someone else voted the exact same as me!?!?

Top looks like a piggy...fire/ground pig?
Left looks like a possible grass/fighting or grass/steel?
Right looks like a cross between piplup and wooper...so...water/ice?
I think I was spot on...I honestly hope they end up being single-typed on the final evolution.

Starters should remain solid and firm Pokemon that get you through the game and still stand a decent chance in the competitive environment.
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

Those are definitely ears. If for whatever reason they do turn out to be bandana tufts and as he evolves he becomes a bipedal gangster I will abandon the Pokemon series completely. And talon, I updated my previous post in response to your earlier one. I'm at work right now so trying to read and juggle doing actual work at the same time is sort of difficult ^_^; all of this aside, has there been a decent quality scan of Isshu yet? Also, the grass starter is starting to grow on me, but I digress, the pigbunny is most likely going to be my starter. Ugh, I can't get over the otters ugliness.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #48
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Oh snap! More Pokemon for my Pig Flu signature to screw over!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #49
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Arcanine

Like I (along with everyone else and their mother) noted upon seeing the silhouette for the first time: Those are P-chan ears. Try as I might, I can't see any "rabbit" in there. :x And lord I hope the little tyke doesn't get some awful second type to make it weaker. The Fire type has had so many hard years; it's time to give it a break.

Not like it matters that much to me because I'm over 99% sure I won't be evolving mine, but it's the principle of the thing.

すれ違うだけの距離が歯痒い 手を伸ばせば届きそうなのに
意味があるのなら教えて欲しい 締め付ける胸の痛みの
「イツダッテ ウソミタイ アイシタテ ノ ユメミライ」

f i z z y b u b b l e s | w i l d f u t u r e

Quote:
morningstar - Today at 12:46 PM
her whole being is Arashi

AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #50
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Agreed. It needs the Ground type, to make it stronger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON