UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

Remakes

Just a quickie topic here, do you think remakes are a good idea? All pokemon games introduse new pokemon, regions etc....but do remakes make the series better or not?

You talkin to me?
Bluejolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Remakes 'Introduce a new generation to older games' (quote on quote) and help spend the time between two generations. Yeah, they're cool.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

firered/leafgreen were good, and HGSS wearnt wastes wither so yea

You talkin to me?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
I like them, its nice to catch up and all, and its great to have copious pokemon games. Of course its really a large cash grab, but its Pokemon so I'm always down.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

With the 4 year gap between each generation they help fill in time and keep things rolling along more smoothly then simply just throwing the 3rd version out in year 2 and having nothing else for 2 more years. I'd say they're pretty okay in my book.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The thing is, we first saw Gen 1 remakes appear in Gen 3. So theoretically, one could force the argument that we're already due for Gen 1 remakes again. Obviously no one in the fandom takes this seriously, and everyone seems quite comfortable in assuming "Gen 3 saw Gen 1 remakes, Gen 4 saw Gen 2 remakes, so Gen 5 will see Gen 3 remakes and Gen 6 will see Gen 4 remakes." But if you're willing to think this far ahead, consider what's going to happen with Gen 7. You're going to (by the current logic) owe people up to as many as four remakes all at once!

Minimum case: one remake, Gen 5. (Supporting argument: "Remake the gen once two more gens after it have come out!")

Next case up: two remakes, Gens 1 and 5. (Supporting argument: "Gen 1 is next in line for a remake since it's been waiting the longest. It's also Gen 5's turn since it hasn't gotten a remake yet and [see argument above].")

Next cases up: three remakes, Gens 1, 2, and 5. But we'll skip this for ...

Final case up: four remakes, Gens 1-3 + 5. ("It's Gen 5's turn [see argument for Gen 5], and all the other generations have been waiting even longer than it for a remake! Well, Gen 3's been waiting as long. And Gens 1 and 2 have been waiting longer! Gen 4 doesn't need one since it just got a remake last gen. :P") (For that last argument, the one for three remakes, the idea would have been that Gen 3 also get skipped over since it hasn't been waiting quite as long as Gens 1 or 2 have been.)

You get the picture. The point is, you can't keep having remakes in this frequent of a cycle. So Nintendo's going to have to figure something out. And some possibilities include:
(a) cutting back on the remakes, issuing them only when it's technologically warranted. (e.g. changing to a console that doesn't support the old games' cartridges)
(b) issuing combo-paks that contain 2-in-1 or 4-in-1 games. (so like, make a Gen 7 remake for $50 that contains Gens 1 and 2, or something)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I don't see the need for remakes of Gen III. The games have stayed fairly consistant looks-wise since Ruby/Sapphire, though of course there have been brush-ups with each Gen since. When you consider that Gen I and II were created for fairly basic consoles at the time, those little improvements made it more in touch for younger gamers who didn't play through them on the Game Boy/GBC. Look at the sprites, for instance, they looked all strange in RBY/GSC, but they've remained consistantly faithful to the artwork since RSE. I don't think we need to go back to Hoenn just for some BW extras/slightly smoother graphics. Then again, Pokémon is one giant cash cow, so who knows.

tl;dr: I can go to any of the 5 regions because I have an original DS, so I can play Sapphire, LeafGreen, Pearl, SoulSilver and White. I don't need to be able to play two different Hoenn games using different functions of the same console.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Ya thats certainly a problem they're gonna run into eventually!

Fr/Lg were a necessary evil since
a.) nostalgia nuts were crying over R/S not having many old PKMN and
b.) Colosseum didn't really take off and left gaps anyway, plus it wasn't a main/real/handheld game either so strictly speaking Fr/Lg were the only way for GBA owners to get 'em all.

Hg/Ss were real cashgrabs but at least they were actually good! So they kinda get a pass I guess. They totally weren't needed to get 'em all though thanks to Pal Park. Of course by that time DSi/XL existed and didn't have a GBA slot. But since ya need 2 systems to trade anyway the likeliness of not having access to a BC DS is slim.

As much as I loved the R/S/E series and assume they will be remade I would hope Game Freak waits this gen out in the remake department. With the assumed jump to 3DS for Version 3, I think maybe that alone could tide people over the remaining 2 years of Gen 5s lifespan since it'll prolly look and maybe even play abit new.

edit!

Plus there oughta be demand for real *new* games to be made first on the new hardware as opposed to remakes.

2012 - 5-3
2014 - 6-1/2
2015 - 6-3 or 3R
2016 - 3R or 6-3

Seems like a plausible schedule to me!

Last edited by Lindz; 05-04-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

'rages at anyone who says fr/lg were bad/unesasary games' Fr was my first pkmon game so yea

Remakes help fill the gap between games, for example it took a while for B/W to come out so they remade HG/SS to entertain us in the wait, they were good and fr/lg were good, im sure nintendo will adress the problem though, they havent let us down on that.......i think

You talkin to me?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>for example it took a while for B/W to come out so they remade HG/SS to entertain us in the wait

DP came out in Japan in Autumn of what... '06? Platinum in '08 and HGSS in '09. BW came out in Autumn of '10.

So the gap between DP and Platinum was just as long as the one between Platinum and BW.

So we didn't 'need' HGSS to 'keep us occupied', Gamefreak just decided to go with them to cash in and because everyone was like 'OMG GEN I GOT REMAKES BUT GEN II WAS BEST 4 SUM REASON SO WE WANT GS REMAKES', and because technology had vastly improved since the GBC era. They were good, don't get me wrong, but not necessary.

>Nintendo haven't let us down

Baaaaaahahahahaha.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejolteon View Post
'rages at anyone who says fr/lg were bad/unesasary games' Fr was my first pkmon game so yea
I won't get into why I didn't like those again but I will say if those were your first then at least the worst is over an done with for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
So we didn't 'need' HGSS to 'keep us occupied', Gamefreak just decided to go with them to cash in and because everyone was like 'OMG GEN I GOT REMAKES BUT GEN II WAS BEST 4 SUM REASON SO WE WANT GS REMAKES', and because technology had vastly improved since the GBC era.
Or the GB era since G/S were GB games! Crystal was the only true GBC PKMN game~and even then it wasn't redesigned from the ground up to take full advantage of GBCs power. The same fate may befall 5-3. Hg/Ss definetely warranted remakes more then Fr/Lg if only because the original versions were held back on olllllld hardware.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON