UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #51
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Cut them in half and use them as hamburger buns.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
I believe it was Jim Gaffigan who coined the phrase "Donut-ham-hamburgers," might be worth a try.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #53
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
So this works wonderfully well with glazed donuts and patties made of breakfast sausage.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #54
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
I'm not a half bad cook myself, although my dishes tend to lean towards my own taste in spices. Curry, spices, peppers, I get really creative with that and meat and chicken, since here in Panama, chiken is not so expensive and you can actually get your hands on some quality cuts while still being relatively cheap.

I also remember making Red Curry Salmon once, which actually worked great, though salmon was a tad expensive, since it's more of a luxury. I tend to make rice for everything, however, since Panama is among the top 5 worldwide countries that lead in rice consumption. Rice is everywhere, all the time, and as much as I loathe white rice, or rice & ketchup, I must recommend it with olive oil, as it becomes delicate enough and acquires a nice touch of flavour.

If you want some more feedback from me, bear in mind that I may suggest "X + Y + RICE", as I said before, but it'll still be good and tasty, nonetheless.

EDIT: I made just made some mean spaghetti carbonara. T'was pretty darn good.

// PASBL // Wild Future //

Last edited by KratosAurion; 09-23-2012 at 07:28 PM.
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #55
Char
Banned

Anyone have suggestions for low sodium dishes?
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #56
Mercutio
Banned

Mate, google comes up with plenty

You basically want to be eating shit tons of nutrients, right? Fruit salads and neutral bready stuff would be good because you'll pick up good amounts of vitamins and other things and will have a neutral sponge to take in some if the harder stuff. Lean white meats seem to be good, though I don't know much about that.

Perhaps some chicken breasts, some seasonal veg and a bit of gravy to make it all more appealing (obviously checking how you make said gravy to keep it neutral).
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #57
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Dewott Dewott says: "Kairne's making lamb stew! So can yew!"

Time for another Kairne recipe? Okay!

Now, here's the deal. At Walmart, there was a package with a couple nice lamb breasts. Me, being the odd cook that I am, instantly thought stew. I picked up some nice veggies, a couple secret ingredients, and when I got home last night, I started the preliminary work. And for a limited time, I'm sharing the rough recipe with y'all. Now, I don't do precision very much, so amounts are rough. I do apologise for that. I will even let y'all in on the secret ingredients, though. For a limited time!

What I do is, I crush a few blueberries into a bowl. I add a nice amount of apple cider (not hard cider; about a cup, I suppose). A cup of water (ish), some soy sauce, a dash of angostura bitters, and some vinegar. I used a light balsamic vinegar with infused pear, and a red wine vinegar, just a spritz of each. As well, a splash of red wine.

Let this sit for a couple few hours, covered, in the fridge. Cut the lamb breasts into usable pieces for the slow cooker, probably either half or thirds, depending on the size. Pour in the mixture from earlier, and cook on low overnight, with just a few chunks of white onion chopped in, and another splash each of red wine and cider.

While this stews, you may want to start chopping the veggies. A couple carrots, a small sweet red pepper, a couple green onions, about a third of a white onion, and a few celery sticks (2-4, depending on what you want). Put them in a bowl, and toss them with some garlic, some ground ginger, some honey, and, if you want, a bit of vinegar (I used a tarragon white wine vinegar). Let this sit overnight in a bowl, covered, in the fridge.

The next morning, strain out the bones from the broth, and get the broth out of the slow cooker. Make a roux with some olive oil and some flour, and make sure it browns up right. Put the roux in the slow cooker, and gradually introduce the broth back in. You may want to cut up the lamb a bit before putting it back in. Put in the veggies. As well, another splash of cider.

Cut up a large potato, or a couple smaller ones. Boil them in some water for a little while, just to soften them up, before straining them and putting them in. Cut up half a zucchini, and grate the other half with a cheese grater, pop it in. Cook about a third cup of rice in some water and some milk, but don't let it cook fully, only until about half done. Strain it and put it in the pot. I also used a can of diced tomatoes and half a can of beets, strained (and the lattter cut up), and put in.

This should just about fill a 5 quart slow cooker. Cook it for a fair few hours (mine's doing it now), and serve. It should be hearty, thick, and delicious.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #58
Mercutio
Banned

Lamb stew is the best stew.

Currently half way through the oven time on a banana cake. I've never made it before so I've no idea what it will be like (will let you know) but it smells amazing.

6 bananas (preferably a bit over ripe)
125ml/4˝fl oz vegetable oil (though I'm swapping this for an equivalent amount of orange juice for a little depth of flavour)
115g/4oz butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
335g/11˝oz caster sugar
4 eggs
450g/1lb plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
˝ tsp salt
225g/8oz raisins
225g/8oz chocolate (I'm using cadburies buttons. Chips would be better but I forgot them).

Assuming it comes out ok I'll be icing it once it's cool. Generic icing sugar/water mix with a little vanilla flavouring in the mix

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Grease and line two medium loaf tins.

Mash the bananas and vegetable oil together in a mixing bowl.

Mix the flour, baking powder, ground spices and salt together in another bowl.

In another mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Lightly beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the mashed banana mixture until well combined.

Once combined, sieve in flour mix and fold in lightly. Do the same with the raisins and the fruit pieces once this is done, going for an even mix.

Spoon the cake mixture into the loaf tins and bake in the oven for 1˝ hours, or until risen and golden-brown. Check after one hour and reduce the oven temperature slightly if the loaves are browning too quickly or doming on the top, or cover the loaves loosely with aluminium foil.

When out of the oven, leave that shit alone for 5-10 minutes so that the eat can dissipate properly and the spongy texture can form. Decorate as necessary.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #59
Mercutio
Banned

Oh and if a fan assisted oven, drop the temperature very slightly.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #60
Slash
Silver LO

So the stew turned out great. Froze about half of it for later, because stew is cool like that.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #61
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I mainly eat the same things, but my diet consists mostly of -

1. Pasta with turkey sauce
2. Chicken
3. Steaks ('eye of round')
4. Burritos

I'm quite proud of my cooking skills, but I've never been able to impress anyone else with them. It's disappointing, to say the least.

Since embarking on my Mysterious Adventure, though, I feel I've eaten less healthy. I don't cook as often because the school schedule is brutal, and I have to conserve my ingredients because I need a break to get over to Costco or shop. The parallel world bus system sucks compared to California, since it has limited, truncated routes that only run on weekdays!

My broccoli, which I bought in late August, is starting to rot. I have to wash the rot off it, but it's definitely rotting/smelling something nasty. I've been trying to eat a little each week.

I find myself digging into my funds more often than I should, too, because NOBODY GIVES FREE CHANGE in this universe, you have to *buy* something and with the tax, you get incentives for buying a lot. So I've found myself eating out every few days and I'm feeling the fatigue from doing so despite staying in good physical shape, thanks to a certain BPK.

I'm dying for bread. I have a six months supply of peanut butter, but no bread to use it on.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #62
Mercutio
Banned

The cake was gooooooood
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #63
Mercutio
Banned

Suggest vegetarian recipes, specifically for large meals, oh great denizens of UPN.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Suggest vegetarian recipes, specifically for large meals, oh great denizens of UPN.
Indian food has some great dishes. There's this one cream spinach of theirs I really love. (Could easily eat several pints of the stuff in a single sitting.) Most curry dishes can be prepared vegetarian by substituting in a vegetable for meat (e.g. carrots + potatoes + broccoli instead of carrots + potatoes + chicken) but I'm not sure about the whole "for a large number of people" bit since I usually cook in amounts suitable for four and curry does take time to do properly, so.

Legend has it that there are these one mushrooms which when cooked right taste just like delicious meat. You could do a stir fry with them. Cost might be an issue though.

Fruit-infused sauces can be used with noodles, so like a mandarin orange BBQ sauce with stir fried noodles. I've never gotten it to work right at home though but maybe you might have better luck.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #65
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Portabello mushrooms are good and not super expensive burger replacements that many meat eaters will be satisfied with. They're pretty easy to cook en masse since you just grill them like you would a standard burger, only coating them in olive oil and seasoning them a little beforehand.

A lot of Mexican dishes can easily be made vegetarian. Veggie Quesadillas are super easy and delicious. Veggie enchiladas can be made in large batches as well and are pretty quick and easy.

Thai curries are a good alternative if you're not big on Indian food. They tend to take a while but if you have enough coconut milk, you should be able to make a pretty large batch without much issue.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #66
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For the record, the mushroom Im talking about isn't portabellos. Not saying I haven't heard of people trying to use them the way Jeri's suggested but the one I'm thinking of is more exotic and people claim cannot be told apart from steak while eating, an experience I've never had with fried portabellos.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #67
Mercutio
Banned

Much obliged gents. Though I'm personally not inclined to eat non meat that feels like meat
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #68
Slash
Silver LO

So, making a batch of soy bars, basically completely blind. Just relying on my baking experience, I put together soy flour with a little bit of flaxseed meal and white corn meal. I put in some carob chips (cut some up into smaller pieces, kept some whole, crushed some into an almost-powder), goji berries (a few dried, a few somewhat reconstituted), and a chopped up fresh fig. I sweetened it with some agave nectar and used just a little salt for flavour. Olive oil and water to hold it together. I also used a spoon or two of instant cappuccino, and some hemp seed (and now I am in love with hemp seed). Almost totally vegan, but there is some milk in the powdered cappuccino.

It's about to come out of the oven. Let's hope it's good.

EDIT: A small bit dry, but that is to be expected. Not overly sweet, but that is fine with me. A nice texture, though. Good with a glass half-empty of almond milk.

Last edited by Slash; 10-17-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #69
Mercutio
Banned

So I came across a recipe for a 30 minute chicken casserole, which I currently have simmering away in the oven.

Now, I generally believe that if it takes less than two hours to cook, it isn't real casserole and will be horrible. So we'll see.

This is just six breast fillets, cut to pieces the size of a plums, a large carrot (chopped and peeled), lots of new potato quarters (peel still on) and a shit ton of stock. That's simmering away on high heat for 15 minutes, after which I'll add in more seasoning and some peas.

I have little hope for this.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #70
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
So I came across a recipe for a 30 minute chicken casserole, which I currently have simmering away in the oven.

Now, I generally believe that if it takes less than two hours to cook, it isn't real casserole and will be horrible. So we'll see.

This is just six breast fillets, cut to pieces the size of a plums, a large carrot (chopped and peeled), lots of new potato quarters (peel still on) and a shit ton of stock. That's simmering away on high heat for 15 minutes, after which I'll add in more seasoning and some peas.

I have little hope for this.
That sounds more like a baked... soup... than a casserole.

But hey, good luck?
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #71
Mercutio
Banned

Well that's generally the kind I like; fairly liquidy sauce, meat and veg has basically melted. My mum's a fan of creamier sauces, but each to their own.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #72
Mercutio
Banned

Turned out fine. Not melty and delicious, but nice and edible.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #73
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
So my family wanted me to do the cooking today, and they really wanted Black Beans & Rice to go with whatever the heck I had in mind for a main dish. So I thought, hey, let me try my hand at some Jerk Chicken. What could go wrong?

Spoiler: show

Nothing at all. Went to the supermarket and got myself a few ingredients. Blended up a paste consisting of Onions, Habanero Peppers, Thyme, Cinnamon, Sugar, Vinegar, Vegetable Oil, Lemon Juice, Salt & Pepper. Rubbed it on some boneless chicken breasts, had it marinate for about an hour (could've let it rest for longer, but my folks were impatient), and then seared on a frying pan. It turned out pretty good.

Served it with Colombian style Black Beans & Rice as well as some Fried Plantains as every good Central American dish should.

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #74
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Looks yum, Balmund!

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #75
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Thanks! I have to say, I do love cooking. For today, I have something Mexican for you guys.

Spoiler: show

Sesame Pork served with Rosemary Rice. Sear the pork, then reserve. For the sauce, sautée on that same frying pan some Onions, Tomatos, Jalapeńo Peppers & Garlic. Deglaze with some broth of your choice (Chicken Broth works just fine) and add a generous serving of crushed Sesame Seeds. Let it reduce for a bit before blending it all together, then add the pork back in. Enjoy~

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc