UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #201
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I did the 3 mile run/5K today.

I stopped at 2.7 miles because the limit was 18 minutes, and that's where I landed when the buzzer went off. That translates to about 9 mph, and a 20 minute 3 mile if I held on all the way.

I probably could have made that 19:30 because I was not winded or tired at all. I did this without weights, as a challenge to see if I could.

From my posts above, you can see that this is a MASSIVE improvement in speed, but it just goes to show how much work you have to put in to gain speed. And I'm STILL not there yet, to make 3 miles in 18 minutes I need to run the whole thing at 10 mph.

While I could run this fairly easily, it was harder to push beyond 9 mph for any extended period of time. Because your body naturally tries to regress back to the more comfortable speed. So actually shaving off that 1.5-2 minutes is a lot more intimidating than it looks.

Weight: 170-ish. Still look fat, but I can run fast and hard for a long time, and still lift heavy. Haven't lost much in recent months despite my calories more or less being fixed at 1,000. Don't have many of the the narcoleptic issues I had in 2014, but I do have them from time to time (incredible, overpowering drowsiness). It's due to both a lack of sleep and a lack of calories. You know how the brain shuts down when one drinks a lot of alcohol? Similar concept, I think. No proof just opinion.

I'm pretty sad I don't have much more impressive visual or performance gains after all this work. TECHNICALLY, I'm only just 1/3 into my fourth month of this. But with the massive cardio, modest lifting, and heavy dieting, I still look fat.

Also, after the run today, I got the infamous "runners trots", where my intestine liquified my stool and made me want to take a dump really badly. However, because of the high amount of fiber I've been eating to promote satiety (mainly popcorn) I didn't actually soil my pants or anything. The bulk absorbed the liquid and things were fairly typical when I finally got home.

Always eat the fiber. Always.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #202
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did another 3 mile run today at 21:30, slower but I was also using my 10 lb vest and was taking it modestly easy, to see if I could not stop the whole way.

Went to CrossFit. Finally got my arse kicked by it. I was disappointed the other times I've gone, but this time I got the challenge I was looking for.

Couldn't make it home, so I had to crash at a restaurant. Also got rhabdo/runner's trots but like before, the high fiber absorbed it all.

Weight: 168 lbs.
Goal: 150 lbs.

It's pretty amazing how stubborn the fat is. I've been on a 1K-1.2K diet for a month now. I'm running a fudge ton and running fast. I'm doing muscle workouts. The aerobic/anaerobic is there, but the fat loss isn't.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #203
Mercutio
Banned

Went back to the gym for the first time in a while. Wasn't too bad; had eaten the proper foods for a couple of days before hand so was fueled up, managed a poor imitation of my old routine which was a little bit of cardio just as a quick warm up and then various weight cycles across the whole body, finished by another quick round of cardio.

Stamina is definitely gone but I was never *that* strong and I'm not looking to bulk up significantly so I'm less worried about that. Am going to try and get into running so I can quit my gym membership and get free cardio.

(I hate running)
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #204
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Kush it doesn't sound like weightlifting is for you. The only thing weightlifting does is make you stronger. The side effect is that it makes you bigger. It doesn't sound like either of those are very appealing to you.

You're PROBABLY best off playing a sport in a pickup league. Rugby, basketball, and soccer are all pretty quality choices and will get you the fitness you want without you needing to take dedicated time to run in pointless circles or lift random weights for little reason.

If however you are lying about not wanting to bulk up (which is the only way to get strong) you can feel free to keep up the good work. Don't forget to eat big to get big.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #205
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Don't forget to eat big to get big.
4 scoops.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:17 AM   #206
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Lifting weights only gets you big.............

Well that is not exactly true, lifting weights can have various effects depending on the amount your lifting (% of 1 rep maximum), the amount of reps you are doing, the amount of sets you are doing and even the break between sets. For increasing muscle and increasing your strength, most of the time you should be doing around 80% of your 1RM, in short sets of 4-6 reps, usually around 4 sets and 1-2 minute breaks in between sets. This mainly uses your ATP and anaerobic energy systems and wont have a massive effect on fitness. To me it seems like you just want to tone and improve your fitness and you should almost always incorporate weights into your training program. Work at about 60% of your 1RM, at around 12-15 reps for 4 sets. You want to have less of a break in between sets, what this will do is target your anaerobic and aerobic system which will aid your fitness a lot more. You likely wont stack on a tonne of muscle (which it seems you don't want), but what you will do tone your muscles and reduce your body fat and will help with your fitness. Also doing cardio before and after is always a good idea imo, helps get you started and gets your heart rate up. Sometimes I like to do like cardio, 3 or 4 weighted exercises, a bit more cardio, 3 or 4 weighted exercises and so on.

Don't stop doing weights, you will improve a lot faster when using a combo of cardio and weights then you will if you purely do cardio.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #207
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
Lifting weights only gets you big.............

Well that is not exactly true, lifting weights can have various effects depending on the amount your lifting (% of 1 rep maximum), the amount of reps you are doing, the amount of sets you are doing and even the break between sets. For increasing muscle and increasing your strength, most of the time you should be doing around 80% of your 1RM, in short sets of 4-6 reps, usually around 4 sets and 1-2 minute breaks in between sets. This mainly uses your ATP and anaerobic energy systems and wont have a massive effect on fitness. To me it seems like you just want to tone and improve your fitness and you should almost always incorporate weights into your training program. Work at about 60% of your 1RM, at around 12-15 reps for 4 sets. You want to have less of a break in between sets, what this will do is target your anaerobic and aerobic system which will aid your fitness a lot more. You likely wont stack on a tonne of muscle (which it seems you don't want), but what you will do tone your muscles and reduce your body fat and will help with your fitness. Also doing cardio before and after is always a good idea imo, helps get you started and gets your heart rate up. Sometimes I like to do like cardio, 3 or 4 weighted exercises, a bit more cardio, 3 or 4 weighted exercises and so on.

Don't stop doing weights, you will improve a lot faster when using a combo of cardio and weights then you will if you purely do cardio.
It only has 1 effect. Progressive overload leads to microtears, which is microscopic muscle tissue damage, which leads to the body building up the muscle tissue to avoid this problem in future. This does not change just because you lifted 22 pounds instead of 21 pounds, or because you did 8 instead of 6, or because you did 3 sets instead of 5, or because you waited 30 seconds instead of a minute. The "various effects" are just a bunch of different levels of 1 effect, and there is a most efficient way of accomplishing your fitness goal in this area.

Which basically means: 60% of your 1RM 4x15 is going to tone you, but not because that's the magic number that tones you, just because you didn't do much to the muscle in question. It grows a little bit but doesn't really care to do anything beyond that. It is forced inefficiency and is usually done on a cut because you can't cut and lift heavy at the same time - you're just maintaining strength while burning away fat reserves.

He doesn't have to stop doing weights, I shouldn't have said that, but if he doesn't like the weights it's not going to kill him to stop and it's not going to be more efficient to continue.

EDIT: You took my post out of context :p The purpose of lifting weights is to get you bigger, but I did specifically use the word "big." I misled you into believing that I think weightlifting automatically turns everyone into a Schwarzenegger clone. My bad!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #208
Mercutio
Banned

Every PT I've ever encountered agrees with TKF's last para so.

This said a number of my colleagues are huge cycling buffs for reasons that escape me and therefore they have also been pushing the heavy cardiovascular route.

My stamina is... poor. Admittedly I probably ate wrong today for such a thing but I did some alternate spurts of treadmill and rowing machine. Pace was a bit pants to start but consistency improved over the sesh.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #209
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Cardio is easier, since it's lower intensity for a longer period of time. When you apply the same heavy resistance training to cardio - like super long distance, or super high speed - then the effects start to resemble resistance training proper. It takes a lot to build up to that, though - in 2009, I started training for the military and did 3 miles in like 30 minutes. Although my training from then was erratic, only now can I do 3 miles in 19:30.

If you have low stamina, cardio is the way to go first. I would do chest exercises for lifting and lower body cardio (running/cycling) to hit both sides.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #210
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Oh, might as well chime in here. I have started exercising.

Because I lost a lot of muscle due to rapid diet-based weightloss, I am pretty weak when it comes to weights and stuff like that (though my leg strength is pretty damn good since I walk 1.5-2 hrs every day, and have to bike to the grocery store). Current schedule (in week two of this, which is two weeks better than ever before!):

M: Strength training
W: Yoga
F: Lighter strength training/hitting areas I didn't hit on Monday

As you can see it's tentative. There's a weirdly high barrier to entry for an adult getting into exercising the first time, in terms of knowing what exercises to do, how to do them, how much to do, etc. I do tons of cardio every day, as mentioned before, and 100 squats on my off days, so I'm hoping that helps with the ultimate goal: get rid of some of this damn loose skin.

The extremist part of me (which is the part that lost 100 lbs between August 2014 and August 2015...) wants to add in at least one more day of yoga and strength training. The rational part of me wants to hold off on that until a schedule is established. We'll see. I don't have the calorie balance established yet.

Not sure I've done a weight update in a while. Currently 170 lbs (starting weight in Jan. 2012: 420 lbs). Yes, that means I accidentally lost 15 lbs this year... careful with your habits, kids. I still eat only 1400-1500 calories a day because I am rarely hungry.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:20 AM   #211
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
In my admittedly very limited experience, swimming is pretty much the best for losing weight and building cardio.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 AM   #212
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Swimming is good for cardio, not excellent for losing weight because you want to be getting your body a bit hotter. The real benefit of swimming is the ability to sustain it without your body becoming over fatigued. While running and weights can cause stress on limbs and joints, swimming takes most of this stress off, which makes it really good if you are just starting to lose weight, since carrying extra weight can cause a hell of a lot of joint stress which is a sure fire way to make you quit trying to lose weight haha.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #213
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Swimming is great for super fat beginners because, as TKF says, it relieves joint stress fairly easily. It's why you usually see a lot of fat folks begin their weight loss programmes at the pool.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #214
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've always been told that swimming is the #1 best exercise of all. Kinda surprising to hear our exercising experts weigh in that it's not even in the top quarter for weight loss routines. I suppose the balance is:
  • it's still great for cardio, even you guys say
  • it still exercises more muscle groups at a time than most other exercises do
But huh. Did not know it wasn't a great routine for losing weight. I mean ... I'm even now surprised to hear that, because when I look at water polo players and Olympic swimmers, all I see are lean, mean, almost-pure-muscle machines. I don't ever imagine them doing 2 hours of exercise outside the pool to 1 inside, or some such. I always imagine them doing 100% of their activity inside the pool, or maybe 99% inside and then the 1% outside that only outside regimens can really address. Now I'm interested to know just how much exercise most high school and college water polo players do outside the pool rather than in it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #215
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ah, but Talon, do you remember what BPK (who is probably UPN's biggest expert on swimming) said about Free!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
We received confirmation this episode that the boys do, in fact, lift. That's a relief. For a while there, I thought they were going to try pretending that you can build physiques like that just by swimming!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #216
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Swimming is good for maintaining lean muscle mass, as I said not best for dropping a a tonne of weight but it is great for getting your body used to physical activity.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:58 AM   #217
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Ah, but Talon, do you remember what BPK (who is probably UPN's biggest expert on swimming) said about Free!?

Yeah, I was in swimming for about a decade, but I didn't get jacked out of my marbles like a Free! character, I was just skinny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
Swimming is good for cardio, not excellent for losing weight because you want to be getting your body a bit hotter.
This sounds scientifically inaccurate. Your body heat doesn't have anything to do with shedding fat; as long as you're burning calories (which any physical activity will do), then you will lose fat. Generating high body heat, and subsequently causing your body to sweat would only make you lose water weight, which isn't "real" weight loss. Swimming would be an excellent way to lose fat ... provided you actually go do it every day. I don't recommend swimming as a method to lose fat simply because it's pretty boring. I find it hard to imagine somebody actually dragging themselves over to the pool day after day in order to swim lengths back and forth for an hour. At least with other boring activities like jogging, you can listen to music or explore new areas, but swimming doesn't even let you do those. Learning the strokes can be difficult without a coach (especially butterfly). The strength and muscle gains you make will also be negligible.

Personally, I hate doing cardio and it feels like torture. That's the great thing about weight training: it doesn't have to be painful. A lot of those guys who are super shredded and work as professional fitness models don't do any cardio at all, they just lift weights and follow strict diets. It's also fun to watch your strength and physique progressively improve each month. It's more satisfying to work out and be able to squat 100 pounds more in four months than it is to swim for four months and be able to do a 50 meter backstroke 10 seconds faster. Making gains in the gym is something that you can get addicted to and will want to keep doing.

The point is: the effectiveness of an exercise shouldn't be someone's primary concern when selecting an activity. They should instead focus on finding something that they will actually enjoy doing on a regular basis.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #218
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Jogging is actually incredibly exciting. You don't have to be chased by bears or wolves or other animalids to demonstrate it, cross country (like what I do on the weekends) into wild territory is visually spectacular, and also features some dynamic weather/temperature.

I mean basically, on my mp3 player, aside from the J-pop stuff I have video game music like from Diablo II, Rayman, and Doom. All three of those games involve running/walking in dynamic environments. It's almost like "live action" video game when you listen to the music and exercise in similar environments as in the game.

By far the most powerful experience: running through the biggest cemetery at night while this plays.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #219
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I did mention music and exploration as possible things that can enhance the jogging experience. Jogging can also serve a practical purpose where you can actually travel to a destination that you need to go to. I highly doubt you can do that with swimming, unless you live in the Amazon rainforest or something.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #220
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Actually the worst part to jogging is going back. You're right in that it's useful for travel, but unless you travel in a giant circle walking back takes 2-3 times the time.

I can run 5 km in less than 20 minutes now, but it still takes about an hour to do the same distance at walking speed. At my level of fitness, there's no benefit to walking that distance. Losing 1/24th of your day to a mindless activity blows.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #221
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I bought a cake and ice cream for the birthday celebration and immediate wished I didn't. The sugar...training for the military, on this high-protein diet, has made the high syrup sugar in ice cream and white cake close to repulsive to me. If not for the chocolate flavour I would be tempted to chuck this. I definitely can't eat anymore ice cream today and I'm going to let it sit for months. I just can't physically bring myself to enjoy it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #222
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Been working out three times a week for about six weeks now, and I wonder if any here has any advice on how to accurately track changes in body fat % (i.e. how much muscle mass gain is happening v. fat loss). I'm finding it very hard to track this, especially due to the sheer volume of fat I have to lose. I feel like I'm losing fat and gaining muscle at around the same rate (due to relative stability in my weight ~165-170 lbs) but would like to be more scientific about it.

Oh, as far as workout goes, it's typically:
M/F: Lifting weights (benching, squatting, overhead lifts)
W: Yoga (Vinyasa, ~45 min)

I walk a minimum of 1 hr every day, sometimes up to 2 hrs, so I don't do cardio at the gym. (My walking pace is moderate, so 1 hr ~ 3.5 mi or so.)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #223
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There isn't a scientific way to evaluate it because people lose body fat at different rates, in difference places. Generally, where it tends to cling the hardest is also the place where body fat goes first when you gain it. In my case for example, it goes to my belly before going to my arms/legs and so on. You have to observe yourself and look for cues. If you're increasing in strength, but no visible change in appearance, there's probably some swap going on beneath the surface.

I've been able to tell I've decreased my BF% by the increasingly visible vasculature on my arms. Even though my gut has been more or less unaffected, my arms have deflated noticeably, to the point my veins protrude without even pumping more blood through them. Arms, chest are where I lose it first, then legs, then abdominal. Pretty pitiful genetics for a would-be bodybuilder.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #224
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

That helps a lot Dopple, thanks. I've definitely noticed more muscle mass and definition in my arms and legs, I'm probably similar to you in this way. I wonder if the process accelerates as muscle mass grows, in the sense that when you can lift more weight, you can grow muscle faster? I'll just have to be patient.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #225
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Update from (almost) a month later: you do indeed gain muscle faster as you get stronger, so the longer you are consistent the better the results. This may be obvious for most, but for a person who has never worked out this is pretty awesome info.

Weight is holding steady around 165, muscle definition is far better than it was last month. I find I am able to absorb the random "cheat day" (Halloween etc) better than I would've ever thought possible, from the point of view of a morbidly obese man. Also, lifting three days a week now (and going to yoga maybe once every 2-3 weeks).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc