UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #101
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Wahaha.

Spoiler: show

Remember the red ogre/blue ogre story Subaru told Ram?

It hadn't been revealed that Ram was, in fact, an ogre, but immediately after that came to light I'm sure people made the connection that it was subtle forshadowing.

Except there are some problems with this. If it's forshadowing, it's isn't subtle at all. It's heavy-handed as heck with colour scheme of a red ogre/pink hair oni girl and blue ogre/blue hair oni girl.

Also, once we heard Rem/Ram's backstory, the analogy doesn't fit anymore except on a very basic level.

Ram (red) sacrificed herself for Rem (blue). The opposite happened in the story. There's no resentment between the ogres and in the Rem/Ram case, neither girl ended up as well-off as the red ogre in the story.

Buuuuuuut...that red ogre.

Quote:
...there was a red ogre who wanted to make friends with humans.
Quote:
Upon seeing how unsuccessful he was...his friend, the blue ogre, decided to lend him a hand.
I feel like I've seen this story before.

Right guys?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #102
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Wahaha.

Remember the red ogre/blue ogre story Subaru told Ram?

It hadn't been revealed that Ram was, in fact, an ogre, but immediately after that came to light I'm sure people made the connection that it was subtle forshadowing.

Except there are some problems with this. If it's forshadowing, it's isn't subtle at all. It's heavy-handed as heck with colour scheme of a red ogre/pink hair oni girl and blue ogre/blue hair oni girl.

Also, once we heard Rem/Ram's backstory, the analogy doesn't fit anymore except on a very basic level.

Ram (red) sacrificed herself for Rem (blue). The opposite happened in the story. There's no resentment between the ogres and in the Rem/Ram case, neither girl ended up as well-off as the red ogre in the story.

Buuuuuuut...that red ogre.

I feel like I've seen this story before.

Right guys?
Sorry but are you implying the Red Ogre is actually Emilia?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 AM   #103
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yes.

The fable parallels what happens to her in the show almost exactly, especially when you consider the first time Subaru had to convince the villagers to evaluate. It (more or less) also describes the entire royal selection thing, where Emilia wants to be king of a kingdom that hates half-elves and is very hostile to her.

Subaru's entire purpose of being it seems is to make Emilia happy, even if he suffers. That's very blue ogre.

Rem/Ram connection to the story is nothing but a red herring.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #104
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I think it's more the author trying to force a connection where there isn't much of one. (May as well be end of series spoilers)
You know, the author made twin ogre characters, then he thought of the ogre story and thought "Let's make some kind of flimsy connection between the two!".

I mean I do remember how Emilia and Rem connecting with the villagers was pretty similar.

EDIT: My memory is shit.

I'll eventually rewatch episode 1 to confirm my curiosity. I'll also rewatch 18 because I want to. I knew Envy would be the good one!

Last edited by big bad birtha; 09-27-2016 at 01:39 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #105
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I finished watching this about a week ago. I have enjoyed the hell out of this show. The pacing was great, with something always happening without feeling rushed. After starting, it was difficult to ever put down. Subaru's "ability" was also done well. It seems overpowered, but it has some bits to it that still gives tension, because you never know where the checkpoint is. You never know if it'll be after a major character might die, or after Subaru makes a complete ass of himself.

If I were to name an issue, it's how over-the-top some of the characters can behave. Earlier, I wished it was because of a curse or whatnot, but after thinking about it some more, I realized Subaru isn't the only one who suffers from the occasional outburst of disgusting. I get what he goes through isn't easy, but I don't buy him suddenly going from cool hombre to a slimy disgusting human being. The animators making the faces as ugly as possible did not help things.

It's rare I care enough about a show to try to put extra thought into it. I usually just follow along without giving a fuck. If I were to rate this on reason, I would give it an 8, but on enjoyment, I would give it a 9. I sayeth thee 9, because don't think. FEEL!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #106
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey, that sounds like a ringing endorsement to me.

I found this thing online which is Word of God. It's basically a reminder that Subaru was literally pulled into Hell by the Devil herself:

Quote:
Q: If Subaru grew up without ever going to the other world, would he live on without having an occupation? What would happen to Subaru if he went through “a life in a different world starting from no occupation” sort of thing? Specifically speaking, if he were to be middle-aged man with views of a high school student that tried to rush into the different world, he would probably fall into nothing but despair, huh.

A: Nope. If he never went to the other world he would get scolded by Kenichi (his father) around the time he’d graduated high school and would emerge from being a hikkimori. Kenichi would then support Subaru by rehabilitating him in his workplace. After about two years, he would enter university, graduate as a loner, become a working adult, and with stability of those reasonably essential qualities, he would honestly be living life as a full-fledged member of society, and then he would cling on to a kouhai with such a heart that - a Rem kind of heart - she would find his incompetence cute. They would have a normal marriage, and then he would live a suitably happy life until he died. There’s no way his dad would continue to be that irresponsible towards his son, you know?

(edited for clarity)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #107
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Leeandlie put out her english cover of the Re:Zero Styx Helix. She has a fantastic voice, and I knew this would happen sooner or later. Turns out it was sooner.

For anyone wanting a solid two minute-ish listen.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime