UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Fire Emblem: IntSys Appreciation Station

Let's talk about some Fire Emblems here!

I'll start:

Ephraim is the best Lord.

"My father was killed? Alright well, I'll just invade their country with like, four guys."

And then he wins.

Plus his crit animation is wonderful ;3
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Martz
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Martz Send a message via MSN to Martz
It's funny, I was just talking about Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on GW2 with someone I met named Colmthief. Great game. Great story. Only one I ever played however. I played the crap out of it with the GBA Player...glitched it actually to where my chars went over level 20. It was still hard though with high levels.
Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I fucking love Fire Emblem. My favorite game is probably the first Fire Emblem that came out in America on GBA, and then Radiant Dawn, then Path of Radiance, the Sacred Stones, then Shadow Dragon.

Favorite Lord is definitely Ike, though, followed closely by Hector.

It makes me sad that the newest American one is coming out on 3DS.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz View Post
It's funny, I was just talking about Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on GW2 with someone I met named Colmthief. Great game. Great story. Only one I ever played however. I played the crap out of it with the GBA Player...glitched it actually to where my chars went over level 20. It was still hard though with high levels.
Fire Emblem can be difficult (IS difficult I guess) regardless of levels, it takes a lot of item/character management and strategy to get through some of the later maps in most games. And I don't mean just paying attention to the Weapon Triangle or hit percentage, there are players who break it down like Chess, and read the maps four, five turns ahead of time.

Using your Lord to bait out certain units into ambushes, knowing when you can tank a hit and when you can score a double, being able to effectively calculate when and where you'll get a Crit... sometimes, it's less gameplay and more math homework, lol.

That said, I adore the series, and if it was easy... well, it just wouldn't be as satisfying to beat.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I've never found the story ridiculously difficult to beat. That said, I'm also not a person who has to play on Hard Mode, which sounds like it just wouldn't be fun.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Martz
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Martz Send a message via MSN to Martz
I never played on hard mode either but I would say it's hard enough trying to beat a level without any of your units dying.
Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Eh. If you focus on a ton of different ones it's hard, but I always focused on like 7-10 units throughout the game I usually had no problem, as long as I was clever and thought strategically.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Eh. If you focus on a ton of different ones it's hard, but I always focused on like 7-10 units throughout the game I usually had no problem, as long as I was clever and thought strategically.
Thracia 776 exists, if you need a bigger challenge. If I'm remembering correctly, this is one where you can't buy replacement items or weapons, and magic/Healing Staffs could miss.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Ephraim is best lord, and I'd say a tie between Marth and Hector for second (Marth mostly because he's mandatory for the entire playthrough and if you don't learn to like him, you can't help but hate him).

I never liked Eliwood, and I like Lyndis okay.

Now I want to play Shadow Dragon on Hard Mode for once. Not sure what level of hard.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post

Now I want to play Shadow Dragon on Hard Mode for once. Not sure what level of hard.
It's not that bad, really. Just, you know, watch out for Jagen, which is always the rule of thumb in FE. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Shadow Dragon, though, for some reason it seems to get a lot of hate.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Slash
Silver LO

Going H2. Also, I never use Jagen.

What I hate about Hard Mode is no Norne or Frey.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Shadow Dragon isn't as good because it isn't as refined as the others, which is obvious because it's so old. Also, I didn't like it that I ran out of ballista bolts before the final battle, so that unit was completely useless when fighting the last boss.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

And then I came back to THIS.

OMG FEEEEEEEE ALL MY LOVE.

Actually, me and my sisters have played the games so often that we've started voice acting the characters. ;^_^
(My reaction to just about every time a character shows up is "WHY IS THIS GAME FULL OF SEXY GUYS I HAVE TO VOICE ACT?!" accompanied with much headdesking.)
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Shadow Dragon isn't as good because it isn't as refined as the others, which is obvious because it's so old. Also, I didn't like it that I ran out of ballista bolts before the final battle, so that unit was completely useless when fighting the last boss.
This I can agree with to a degree, I never particularly cared for siege weapons in the first place, and you get in some places where it's obviously designed for you to use one. That, or just blitz your cavalry through to get in melee range of the enemy ballista emplacements.

Also, check this out. It's an LP originally hosted on SA that's... well it's wonderful. I don't know if it was ever completed, but the first few chapters were finished, and the sense of humor in the writing makes me happy.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm gonna be a hipster and say, "I liked Fire Emblem BEFORE it came to North America!"

During the N64 era, I was browsing Nintendo Japan's website and found out about some neat games I had never heard of before, like Custom Robo. The one that struck me the most was a cool JRPG looking game called Fire Emblem. Being a Nintendo fanboy, and suffering through a drought of RPGs for N64, I downloaded a rom of Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War for SNES, along with an incomplete fan made translation patch, and ... HOLY MOLY was this a good game!

It still pisses me off to this day that they didn't bring the game over. It could have enjoyed Final Fantasy 6 levels of popularity, and given Nintendo another big franchise alongside Zelda, Star Fox and the like. Still, I remained hopeful that they would bring over Fire Emblem 6 for Game Boy Advance, especially since Roy was featured in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I even e-mailed Nintendo at some point begging them to port it. They did not, but they finally came to their senses and brought over its storyline prequel, Fire Emblem 7.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
It still pisses me off to this day that they didn't bring the game over. It could have enjoyed Final Fantasy 6 levels of popularity, and given Nintendo another big franchise alongside Zelda, Star Fox and the like. Still, I remained hopeful that they would bring over Fire Emblem 6 for Game Boy Advance, especially since Roy was featured in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I even e-mailed Nintendo at some point begging them to port it. They did not, but they finally came to their senses and brought over its storyline prequel, Fire Emblem 7.
Roy in Smash Bros. was my first exposure to Fire Emblem, and I remember my cousin and I spending the first few days after getting the game trying to figure out exactly who the dude was.

I first played FE7 (I believe, the one with Lyndis, and first to be released in NA) on an emulator, shamefully enough, and it was in fact the first emulated game I ever played. I loved it.

It reminded me of Shining Force II which was one of the first SRPG I'd ever played, along with some other game I forget the name of (except that the main character was called Garret) and I ended up buying it for the GBA, and have been a pretty big FE fan ever since.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Me too, the first strategy RPG I played was when I borrowed my friend's Game Gear and played Shining Force. I remember not sufficiently leveling the main hero early on, to the point where he could no longer fight any enemy and survive, so he was permanently gimped for the rest of the game.

Ever since then I've made sure to always feed the main lords lots of experience points, since they are usually forced to participate in every battle, are the only ones who can wield certain legendary weapons, and have high potential for stats. Although this is not always the case (I never played Fire Emblem 6, but apparently Roy really sucks).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 09-10-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Eliwood and Lyndis also really suck compared to Lords like Hector and Ike, as far as stats go. In addition, both Eliwood and Lyndis are outclassed by other regular sword wielders during the game - notably Guy and any Hero if you choose to use them.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
McSweeney
Soul Badge

But Eliwood and Lyndis have totally sweet legendary weapons in the last level! The final battle is great, with all the legendary weapons that were actually given UNIQUE ATTACK ANIMATIONS just for the sake of one level! Hector smashing his axe on the ground before attacking, and then you have Archsage Athos himself joining your army with his apocalyptic magic tomes. So epic!

As far as stats potential goes, a rough barometer I use is the age of a character. If some old, grizzled knight joins your army, chances are he's gonna be strong right away, but doesn't have much stats growth potential. Now compare that to some little kid like Nino joining you, they're sure to be awful early on, but will definitely grow to be a beast if you invest a lot of experience in them.

To be honest though I barely care about stats, at least not in my first playthrough. When it comes time to decide which characters I'll use and which ones I'll bench, I usually just fill my army with the witty guys and the hot chicks.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
To be honest though I barely care about stats, at least not in my first playthrough. When it comes time to decide which characters I'll use and which ones I'll bench, I usually just fill my army with the witty guys and the hot chicks.
I never thought I'd see a FE player ever say that. A lot of people I know (on forums, IRL, etc) have the growths of every character memorized, to the point of being able to look at a level-up screen for any given character and tell you whether you were robbed by the Random Number God or not.

That said, the only time I worry is when I get an empty level. I think I've had three, and two of them happened to Joshua.

Joshua is my favorite character and I reset the map both times, I will NOT tolerate an empty level for him.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I don't know the stat growths of any character by heart, I just end up using my favorites, which a lot of the time includes the characters that are super badass.

[s] I've never gotten an empty level before, I guess everyone else just sucks. [s]
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I always thought it would be cool if they made a prequel to FE7 that took place during The Scouring. You'd play as a young Athos, Roland, Elimine, and all the other legendary heroes talked about in FE7. The only problem is, the power levels might be too high. You know that dragon you fight in the last level? That was just an EVERY DAY MONSTER during The Scouring! They could just go along with it and make a silver lance the shittiest weapon in the game.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
I always thought it would be cool if they made a prequel to FE7 that took place during The Scouring. You'd play as a young Athos, Roland, Elimine, and all the other legendary heroes talked about in FE7. The only problem is, the power levels might be too high. You know that dragon you fight in the last level? That was just an EVERY DAY MONSTER during The Scouring! They could just go along with it and make a silver lance the shittiest weapon in the game.
That is a pretty sweet idea. I... honestly wouldn't put it past them to make that game, especially with all the cool stuff they're doing lately.

Like the 'My Unit' thing- a customizable character in FE?! Yes please!

But then comes the issue of trying to prove to IntSys that we want the games translated and released outside of Japan, which they seem to insist on believing we do not.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #24
Slash
Silver LO

My Lena got two empty levels in a row, but I didn't reset because Julian got several strength gains.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #25
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
My Lena got two empty levels in a row, but I didn't reset because Julian got several strength gains.
These are the decisions you have to make in times of war. I woulda had to think about that for a while, to be honest.

I know it's just a silly vidya' game, but I take unit management pretty seriously. I am lame.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games