8. cutesy
9. a ditz
10. daddy's girl / spoiled / needy
11. a sadist
12. a good cook
13. good at her studies
14. considerate
15. slender
what is the top thing you look for in a girl you want to date? (If you're not into girls, then try to answer the question based on what you think people who are into girls would say.) Five of these were the top five choices that one hundred Tokyo high school girls answered with when asked the question, "What do you think is the #1 thing that boys care about in a girl?"

Pick only one. I don't want justifications for a list five items long. The point is to choose only one item out of this list -- the item that matters most to you!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Selena
Aroma Lady

Number 4 because the rest doesn't matter if she's dull and boring.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My answer would have to be Number 4 as well. My thought process:

Spoiler: show
First, I narrowed down the list to the following items by crossing off everything I knew flat out didn't matter to me or was even maybe a turn off. This left me with:
3. enjoys physical contact
4. interesting/amusing
6. has large breasts
7. good looks
12. a good cook
13. good at her studies
14. considerate
Then, I broke the list down into halves to make it more manageable and decided, by process of single elimination, which was the winner of each half.

Half A:
4. interesting/amusing
6. has large breasts
7. good looks
I like all of these, but if I had to rank them, 3 and 4 would matter more than 6 and 7. Appearances matter, true, but if she's going to resent cuddling, then she's going to feel cold and distant to me and that's no good. (Also, taken to its extreme end one could say that a woman who dislikes physical contact dislikes sex, so ... ) Of the two currently in the bottom half, while I do like large breasts a pretty face matters much more. I'll take pretty face and flat chest over ugly face and huge boobs 99 times out of 100. Of the two currently in the top half, I think her being interesting is going to matter more to me than her desire for physical intimacy. So I guess I would rank them 4 > 3 > 7 > 6 in this first half, and thus #3 is Half A's winner.

Half B:
12. a good cook
13. good at her studies
14. considerate
This one I don't even have to think about: #14 is the winner for me. #12 is a nice side bonus but is by no means strictly necessary. #13 likewise. But #14, being considerate a.k.a. being nice, is a huge one for me. Probably the winner overall.

And so finally we come down to it: #4, being interesting, versus #14, being considerate. If we take "considerate" to be synonymous with "kind", then it's the winner for me for sure. But looking up its official definition, it has more to do with being careful not to inconvenience others than it has to do with what we call "kindness." So I dunno. If that's the case, then I'd pick #4, being interesting, since that seems like it's a core component of a healthy relationship with anybody -- be it a lover, a best friend, whomever. If you don't find the person interesting, it's hard to see the relationship working out.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I'd also say 4.

Although the real answer is of course "Willing to look past the staggering emotional and mental problems I have"
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Selena
Aroma Lady

I do wonder what those 100 Japanese school girls tought though. If we're going by manga stereotyping it would be 6, 7, 15 and 12. But what real girls think about what boys think? I'm somewhat curious.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The one hundred Tokyo high school girls' thoughts were ... (don't read until after you've posted yourself; I did the same thing myself! )

1. good looks (31)
2. considerate (17)
3. a little devil (12)
4. a good cook (10)
5. good at her studies (7)
6. stylish (didn't say)

So 77 of the 100 replies are found in those top five answers. Those are the five things which Tokyo high school girls most commonly believe boys care most about when it comes to the opposite sex.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I've had this discussion with BPK before, but I'm at the age now where the outcome of my children is more important than my own personal preference in a girl. Humans have a lot of brain invested in visual acuity, so good looks are the absolute gateway into any of the other features.

Talon's response is actually kind of funny, because I haven't forgotten his "kiss your fugly mug at the end of the aisle" comment and his vote here clashes with that!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Akanjão
Boulder Badge

Paired up with #12 and #7 is also good, but #4 is the choice.

Reason is, I don't actually care much by the other options, except #7, but even so, it's down there in question of how it matters to me.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

The real question is what women look for in men.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Akanjão
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
And that I never gave a thought to this. I'd say a romantic man, but that seems... How I say, cliche.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Kind of related, but I read a humorous thread on Yotsuba a while back where someone asked "do women really compare breast size?" and "what is the male equivalent". Most of the answers were "men compare wang size" which is obviously wrong, but the self-identified females said that while they don't compare breasts, they do discuss "faces".

Intuitively, this makes sense. A good face is genetic, while say weight or personality can be controlled somewhat. Remember Gwenth Paltrow in Shallow Hal?

Even with the extreme make-up, you can still get the impression she has a good face. Thus, hypothetically, if she were to lose weight and get a thin figure, she would look gorgeous. There's been a fairly recent example too where an obese military wife lost weight for her husband.

The girl has a cute face, especially in #2. For the purpose of children, that's the most important part (hence my justification for #7). Although most guys would be thrilled with #3 and #4 anyway, especially if they were already married to that lady!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Talon's response is actually kind of funny, because I haven't forgotten his "kiss your fugly mug at the end of the aisle" comment and his vote here clashes with that!
Nothing I said here clashes with those previously-expressed views. For the purposes of this thread, you have to pick the singular, most important thing to you out of a list of fifteen prescribed choices. That's not the same thing as marrying someone where you weigh as many factors as are crucially important to you. If anything, my explanation should have revealed to you that I still place importance on facial beauty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
(amongst several other factors, good looks is listed)
I like all of these, but if I had to rank them, 3 and 4 would matter more than 6 and 7. Appearances matter, true, but if she's going to resent cuddling, then she's going to feel cold and distant to me and that's no good. [...] While I do like large breasts, a pretty face matters much more. I'll take pretty face and flat chest over ugly face and huge boobs 99 times out of 100.
You're taking this post, in which I express prioritization of kindness and interestingness over physical appearances, and then trying to use it to claim that I am contradicting myself by referencing another post of mine in which I claimed that facial beauty is a deal breaker for me. This is logically fallacious. The wedding aisle comment only tells you that facial beauty is a deal breaker for me. It doesn't tell you that it is the most important deal breaker for me. Which it isn't. If she's a heinous bitch who looks like Jane Seymour in her prime, I still don't want to date her, much less marry her. That's always been the case. The wedding aisle comment simply says that I wouldn't marry the nicest girl on the planet if her face was so repulsive to me that I couldn't bring myself to kiss it. Like, picture Willem Dafoe. Now put him in a bridal gown and say he has a vagina. Can you picture yourself kissing him? I cannot. I'm sorry, she could be the nicest girl on the planet, but if she looks like Willem Dafoe there's no way I could marry her.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Chalis
Activating Rampage

6 FTW!!!
jk 14.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Nothing I said here clashes with those previously-expressed views. For the purposes of this thread, you have to pick the singular, most important thing to you out of a list of fifteen prescribed choices. That's not the same thing as marrying someone where you weigh as many factors as are crucially important to you. If anything, my explanation should have revealed to you that I still place importance on facial beauty:
I hadn't clicked any of the spoiler boxes when I wrote that, so yes I did see your justification after that. But I still would have figured it is the deal breaker for you since as I've gotten older, all of a sudden that's what I've begun to recognize.

Although in a universe of plastic surgery, looks can be deceiving...!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
Sneaze
Mrow?

This is going to be one of those cases where people are a hell of a lot less likely to answer 100% truthfully thanks to their answers not being anonymous and there being some fear of being judged.

That said, I also feel that picking one thing isn't really possible. Like, yeah, being amusing is awesome and all, but if you're not also considerate then do please fuck off, though I would obviously rank the former over the latter. Narrowing things down to a single trait doesn't typically work out wonderfully.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
4. interesting/amusing
8. cutesy
14. considerate

Out of those listed.

My own Top 10 list is (Not in any particular order):

1. All around getting along with them
2. Cute
3. Kind/Considerate
4. Loyal
5. Respectful
6. Thoughtful
7. Funny
8. Crazy
9. Friendly
10. Enjoys flirting/physical contact

My GF is pretty much everything in my Top 10. :3
Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicRein View Post
4. interesting/amusing
8. cutesy
14. considerate

Out of those listed.
Do you think you could narrow it down to just one please? Remember:
Quote:
Pick only one. I don't want justifications for a list five items long. The point is to choose only one item out of this list -- the item that matters most to you!
This thread is partially an exercise in making difficult decisions. I don't want that exercise to be derailed by people disregarding the rules. If it kills you to only have to choose one of the listed entities, then please feel free to provide an explanation for your selection -- as lengthy as you need it to be -- inside of a spoiler box after your vote.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #18
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Gotta be #4. The only other thing I'd really consider was #14, considerate(oh hey a pun) but if you can't spend time just talking with someone and come out of it with a smile on your face there's no point.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #19
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Quote:
Do you think you could narrow it down to just one please?
That's hard but seeing as I have to choose 1, I say #14.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #20
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm going to be shallow and pick #7: good looks. In reaching this selection, I imagined possible scenarios where I might date a girl who only possessed ONE out of all of those traits, and the only scenario I could see myself dating her is if she had nothing but good looks. It certainly wouldn't be ideal, and there's no way I'd ever want to pursue a serious relationship with her, but I might go for it just for the sake of satisfying primal male urges. I wouldn't be able to get past the non-physical attraction in the other cases, no matter how great she was. To adapt Talon's legendary quote, I can't imagine myself ever dating a girl if I have to picture myself kissing her fugly mug on the front porch after I drop her off.

That said, I don't have particularly high standards for beauty. As long as they are attractive enough for me to be, well, attracted to her, that's good enough, and any additional beauty beyond that is just gravy and becomes less important than personality traits. I'd much rather date a moderately attractive girl who has lots of feminine charm than a vapid, obnoxious supermodel. If I was rich I would never dream of getting a trophy wife.

In summary: Good looks are the only trait out of the 15 that I literally can't go without, so it's the most important until it reaches a minimum threshold, at which point it takes a backseat in importance to other stuff.

Also what exactly is "cutesy"? Moe traits? Whenever I see rare cases of girls acting moe IRL it's a huge hit with me, so that would be pretty high.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #21
Heather
Naga's Voice

I have to pick number 13 here, because the reason I stay out of relationships is because I need to tend to schoolwork, so I would think that number 13 would help lessen that barrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
deh74
Noted homosexual

Quote:
The real question is what men look for in men.
Fixed.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #23
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Wut
Old 05-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
13 or 14, could be interchangeable but I'd rather my eventual significant other be a nice person over being slightly smarter (or even moreso) than average.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #25
Yinreaper
Pokemon Trainer

4 or 7/8 those are my picks
Yinreaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc