UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Oh boy, sanctions.

"You're doing bad stuff, so WE'RE NOT GOING TO TALK TO YOU. LIKE, FOR A COUPLE MONTHS."
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Putin really knows how to charm the riots. He's famous for distributing pictures of himself in casual environments (the so called "moe" Putin) and now his minion and the attorney general of Crimea, Natalia Polonskaya, has enchanted the world.

There's fanart of her floating around everywhere. It looks great!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #28
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Putin just said that the breakup of the USSR was 'one of history's greatest injustices'.

This can't end well.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #29
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

USSR 2: Electoral Boogalo?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #30
brawlfan1
Pokemon Trainer

The rest of the world's reactions seem to be more related to method than anything. It's probable that Putin could have taken control in just a bit more time, or through a number of other channels. The way that Russia entered Crimea has many up in arms because it's reminiscent of the way that Germany invaded Sudetenland (and then subsequently the rest of Czechoslovakia, and then a whole lot more of Europe) in the second world war.
brawlfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When the Washington Post polled 2,066 Americans and asked them to locate Ukraine on a blank world map, only 1 in 6 Americans correctly placed Ukraine. The median respondent was accurate to within 1,800 miles -- a range covering Portugal to the west, Sudan to the south, Kazakhstan to the east, and Finland to the north.

The Post article continues from there, arguing for a correlation between inability to correctly place Ukraine on a map and likelihood to support military intervention there; but because they opt to withhold the data on the military intervention question, I'm skeptical as to the strength of said correlation.

However, even ignoring the Post's assertion that geographical ignorance corresponds with a desire for military intervention, it is still the case that only 1 in 6 Americans polled out of over 2,000 could properly place Ukraine on a world map.

The really sad thing is that the poll was conducted on March 28 through March 31, 2014: weeks after the Ukraine had been all over the American news 24/7, refreshing Americans' memories on the exact location of the Ukraine relative to its neighboring nations. Despite this, 77% of college graduates polled could not place the Ukraine correctly, reports the Post. Mind, college graduates performed best of any group polled (re: education level), but still. Just under 1 in 4 could correctly place the Ukraine despite weeks of nightly and daily news broadcasts showing maps of the region with the Ukraine's position directly north of the Black Sea clearly shown.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #32
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
All I can tell you about Ukraine is that it's in Eastern Europe and obviously very near Russia(which I could identify by virtue of being utterly massive). I don't watch the news and the articles I've read didn't have maps or anything. Looking at the map there, I could STILL be quite close, probably overshoot it to the South-East a little at max. And this from a guy who absolutely could not give two fucks about geography.

I mean...I understand if you don't get the exact country right. There's no way I would overshoot it as much to the East as the huge violet dot-cluster shows(but that's because I know where India is and it's directly south of that which...lol). How do you mess up as badly as some people did? That's pretty mindblowing.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Some people allege that the outliers are trolls. For example, the 4+ respondents who said that the Ukraine is somewhere within the contiguous United States. Or the two respondents who said that it's Australia. But I don't think this allegation holds for Greenland (which easily saw over 1% of poll respondents picking it) nor for the sum total of super famous nations that saw votes (which, if you summed their dots all together, would probably account for over 5% of the votes). It's hard to imagine that everyone who picked India, everyone who picked China, everyone who picked France (seriously, what the hell) would have been trolling.

You mention that you could have gotten close, Rangeet, but that you might not have hit the nail on the head. That's why I emphasized the importance of when the poll was taken and for whom. American television has just seen Ukraine news story after Ukraine news story after Ukraine news story this past month. And almost all of them come equipped with a map of the region showing the Ukraine in a special color and/or with its name clearly printed. I'll admit that if you don't watch any television (I hardly watch any myself) then perhaps this wouldn't be of much help to you. But goddamn: 83% of Americans cannot all be watching so little television as to not have gotten the refresher. But yes, I absolutely agree with you that in times where the Ukraine isn't making any splashes in the American news, it would not be surprising if people confused Ukraine's position for Belarus's, for Romania's, etc. And we see exactly that in the poll results: it looks like ~40% of those polled placed it somewhere in Eastern Europe.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #34
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Some people allege that the outliers are trolls. For example, the 4+ respondents who said that the Ukraine is somewhere within the contiguous United States.
Could be an honest mistake. We have "Georgia" and Eastern Europe has "Georgia", after all.

Took me a while to realize "Memphis" was a real Egyption city and not a made-up, Egyptian-sounding name. :V
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc