UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Genesect UPN: The Day (2011 Edition)

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I welcome you all to another successful (probably) year of UPN awesomeness. Whether you discuss how old you like em in the anime thread, talk about vidya games in the games section, do some PASBL or FB, there's a whole lot here at UPN. And today marks yet another year in the greatness that is the UPN.

And so, as it happens every year, I will bestow some greatness to all the denizens of UPN. Everyone who replies and shares some UPN related story (how you got here, funny stuff, etc), will get the power to change their user title for the rest of their UPN days. This only applies to people who post today though, so don't miss your chance!

And if you post 3 days later or so, you can't complain that you missed it, it's been the same day every year I've done this.

Anyway, I'm glad to be your great Kuno, and you've all been great. Keep on UPN'n it up!

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Ho-oh

YES USER TITLES~

Let's see... *clears throat*

October 2010. I just signed up because my real life friend Copygoo told me to after weeks of begging. I relented, but I didn't do much because I thought Serebii was enough.

Huh, was I wrong. So I started getting more active here~ I was just a noob, fading into obscurity...

Then I went in TO. Started posting up some random pics in addition to what little I said. People noticed the pretty things, and saw that I was an okay person.

At least, I think they think that I'm okay...

SO. MY MISSION. TO SPREAD HAPPINESS IN THE FORM OF MY NICE YELLOW FONT AND PRETTY PICTURES~

BUT YAY~ HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~

Last edited by DaisyInari; 06-18-2011 at 11:18 PM.
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

If I post here, will you give me the ability to edit my usertitle beyond normal character limits? :O

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Lady Kuno

People who ask for user titles will just get banned irl. >O

Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
I LOVE THIS COMPANY!

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I joined the PASBL, got into an argument with Rangeet in the TO, and ended up here.

I likely wouldn't be as into the PASBL as I am now if it wasn't for Rangeet. So, I can pretty much thank him for being TL3. Though my ego still thinks I'm a newly-made TL2. >_>
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Can't user titles already be changed?

I found UPN back in the day when geocities and angelfire ruled the internet (and it was a much better internet, too, mind you), and when it was still known as "Univeral Pokemon Network", which was about... I'd say 11-12 years ago? I only lurked, though. Anyway, the site shut down, and one day in June 2003 I did a random search for UPN to see if it had been revived or not and it led me here. I've basically been in an on again/off again relationship with the site since.

Obligatory Kuno is great here, or what have you.

Kids these days, with their facebook and their twitter and their rock music.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 06-19-2011 at 03:23 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
halloweenjack
King of the Pumpkin Patch

Ah, the years have just melted away. I stumbled into the Universal Pokemon Network forums back in 1999. As a young rapscallion, enamored with Pokemon Red and Blue, who had just moved to a new school, I looked for a new community with which I could talk with like-minded folks. I found what I was looking for on the UPN Pokemon Video Games board. I began posting and became a part of this new online world.

Soon enough I was making friends and regularly posting in the Miscellaneous forum, where most of the action took place. It became more than just Pokemon. It was hearing about ajnrules' endless quest for the perfect girl. It was poking fun at Jaxel with Tea. It was seeing if there was an end to Talon's posts. With the former two friends, we started MLC, the Misty Lovers Club. I can hardly remember how the whole thing got started, but mostly we were a group of friends that wanted to show it off, as ::TR:: was before.

After the infamous hacking incident, and the third generation of the forum was up, we went guns blazing into the new generation. The post-count race was amazing. Tea, ajn, Angel of Gravity (Roger), Lindz and I were going crazy filling up the new forum. I held the lead for one night, being the first to hit 1,500 posts, before being passed by Roger and then Lindz, who would never give up the title after Roger's departure. I would eventually lose all of those posts when my account was deleted by CPioli after posting a thread with the Ultra Vegeta Signature, but I got over it, gave up my childish posting style and became a more valuable member of the forum, I believe. I had a few memorable mega-threads about my addiction to bread and a fear of the game of hop-scotch and others that have been lost in time.

It was a blast. We would post all night until the forums went dead, then move the party over to ICQ, where "WTF Chats" were all the rage. Random, fast-paced chatting with Koji, SiN, Junta, CM, KV, KtM, Tea, Vegeta, tGf, Jarek and even an occasional appearance by Jaxel. It was during one of these appearances that Jaxel decided to make me a moderator for the Pokemon Video Game forum, which quickly turned in to an administrator position following a spam problem.

After this golden age, the forums began to die. The forum had its issues, and members began leaving at an alarming rate. The core was there, but the community wasn't what it once was when the website and forum went down for good. A few members started new forums, but Koji's girlfriend Chaka ended up with the best at the time. The UPN Refuge was just that, a refuge for a lot of friends who weren't quite ready for the idea of no longer talking to one another. I never really saw eye-to-eye with Chaka, and didn't hold a position of power during this time period.

With time, however, this forum had its own problems. Server issues and questions of Chaka's loyalty to the forum, not by me, saw the end to her era with the remaining survivors of the UPN community in limbo. Then a relatively new member named Midevil Mewtwo came up with a solution in late 2001. He started a new website, the Ultimate Pokemon Network with a forum of its own. I was skeptical at first, but was eventually won over again by the relationship I had with many of the members.

I started helping MM, now Kuno, with color-schemes and banners (including the one that is still used) for the forums and became an administrator once again, mostly just to be able to work on style-sets on my own schedule. That position has also been lost in time as I've faded further from his community, like so many others have in the past. But unlike those others, I stand here like Christopher Robin, unable to completely forget about my friends of fantasy. My Hundred Acre Wood. I still stop by to see what kind of trouble that silly ol' bear has gotten himself into. It's been a long, strange journey, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

encores at 2 and 6™
-halloweenjack©

Last edited by halloweenjack; 06-19-2011 at 04:59 AM.
halloweenjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Selena
Aroma Lady

I'm not such a great story teller, but I joined the ASB somewhere in 2007 on Sppf. I got owned by Jeri and my internet was malfunctioning so I quit. I rejoined later and saw the awesome link to UPN, so now I'm here. I also need to battle Jeri again for old times sake.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Well. I'm gonna start by saying my story isn't all that interesting, but it is a bit long.

It started a few years ago, when, much younger than I am now, I collected a British magazine known as "Pokemon World". I read it for a few years, until they revamped. I collected some of those too, and they had a noteboard in one section full of fan art and fan fics. It also had an area called From the Forums in that noteboard bit, and it had little snippets from conversations on serebii's forums. I had a look, and eventually, I became a forum member.

I happily stayed in the games and fan art section for a few years, and eventually, I came across A little thing I_D owned called the weekly spriter contest. I entered a few times, never finding success, but kept noticing his magnificent signature banner with the grass starters. One thing led to another, and I joined the PASBL on the 29th of July, 2009.

After a long while, I actally got into it, and ended up coming here on reccomendation. And the rest? I've been a terrible PASBLer ever since.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I have been watching and waiting for this day to come, and finally, it has arrived... after I missed the last one because stupid n00b.

So, I was on SPPf for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages, didn't really do much else due to being involved with the Wi-fi comp League there. I found myself bored one day and found a section called 'Anime Style Battling'. I thought it looked interesting, so signed up and started. That was in November '09.

At the time, SPPf's Time Out was reasonably active, racking up a page or two per day. I thought it was a fun little community, but around the time that I got my ref credentials (April/May '10 or so), it had all but died. While reffing for Concept and I_D, Concept linked to UPN (the post where Muyo's Dragonite crushed I_D's Lombre), but I couldn't see it. Having heard that UPN was a lot better than SPPf for many, many reasons, I made the journey over here last June.

While I only really posted in ASB at first, I eventually began to post in other areas of the forum, and now frequent it pretty much every time I have a spare moment. UPN's probably my most-visited site as of now, I really like it here.

Hail Kuno for making such an awesome forum!

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Anyone remember Vran?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Torkoal Stu
This

Yanmega

I'm not sure really what to post...but here goes something~

I've been a member of UPN now for 4 years (I think) but I was on SPPf for a few years before that (I think about 2004/2005), it wasn't until I got really into FB I brought here and then after I faded out of FB I stuck around for PASBL and the cool people I had met here (who are still cool to this day) and I'm really glad I stuck around.

The strangest thing for me is that I started FB/UPN when I was in secondary school and now I've done two years of university it's kinda insane how much has changed in my life since then but I'm really glad that I'm apart of something like this. UPN is kind of like that warm fuzzy familiar place in the internet where you can just sort of crawl into it and let everything else in life just wash over you and you can just chill or talk or FIGHT POKÉMON BATTLES~ And it's one of those places where things change but you still have that nice warm welcoming aura that kept you around in the first place (especially as I've gotten busy and left ASB/FB a few times in my history but I always get drawn back to UPN).

Also random trivia in honour of UPN Day, UPN is my second most visited site (after Facebook, standard~)

So thank you Kuno for making UPN and keeping it going year after year, it's strange to wonder where everyone will be in one years time but I hope everyone is still connected to UPN in some form~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Lady Kuno

I didn't make UPN, btw. >_>

Btw hj wins best post of the year. Probably for all years. Sorry everyone else I still love you.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
Torkoal Stu
This

Oh D:

Or are you just so awesome you're being extremely humble? ;o

*shot*
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So apparently I came here in April '09, almost a year after I technically joined the ASB over on SPPfail. It's pretty cool. A lot has changed with my life since then, but I like having UPN as a little refuge when I have some downtime. I like chatting to the Britpack (me, Lonely Cubone, DavetheFishGuy and Kush) and the other denizens on the ASB TO. I enjoy browsing the gaming forum, and the misc produces some priceless gems (gotta love the "I'm going to hell" thread).

But yeah. Whatever else I'm doing, it's always nice to be able to mosey on over here and natter away inanely. Thanks you Kuno.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
Lady Kuno

I gave everyone the ability to change their User Title. Although some of you already had this ability because you've done this some other year.

Anyway, the day is almost half over and we got some good stuff. What comes before part B? Part-A! *distributes booze*

Old 06-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Thanks, Kuno.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #19
brandan
The Lord of the Derp

I got here through Kin. I was never going to stay as I hated how slow their boards were. Later I found out about this board and I have been your curse ever since.
brandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I was tired in the park and took a nap under a tree. A few moments later I saw a white rabbit run past me saying he didn't have enough time. He ran down a hole and I followed him. Suddenly, I was in a whole new world of Pokemon and gender-bending Headmaster and a CEO who like to burn X-Rok and a 12 year old who is now not so 12 years old and some kind of Talon from Arizona which was actually from Indiana. Not sure how any of this is relevant.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #21
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Srs post now.

It's 2004 (or something). Little baby 11-year-old Jeri (at that time, jerichirules) wanders into Serebii and finds this cool RPG. Fizzy Bubbles, it was called. It looked fun! I started with a little Snorunt and crappy little character and was on my way. I soon discovered the other forum that this ran on - an exciting place called UPN. I had fun and junk and RP'd and even changed my homeboard to UPN... until I threw a tantrum and quit FB for 8 months. Thankfully, I really wanted to go back and decided one day that I'd make my glorious return. It was quite the opposite. However, I made some friends and RP'd more and all that fun stuff. Eventually, FB got boring, so I drifted over to the ASB. As FB got quieter, I would swap between the two, until eventually, I became an ASB regular. I became a GL, made a ton of friends, befriending a lot of UPN regulars and some big ASB folks. Eventually, I became an LO. And here we are today.

Awesome, right?

Probably.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
S_M
Volcano Badge

Send a message via AIM to S_M
I found UPN for the ASB sometime in late 2004 :o Coming from SPPf obv. UPN was all but dead at the time (for ASB anyway) but had some really cool archives which were nice to be able to look through early in my league days so I could get an idea of what was going on and stuff. I then joined FB and became a mod and ZO. But then my activity became really inconsistent when I got busier irl so now I just stop in pretty often but I still take forever to order/ref in the ASB. Unfortunately I lost my FB drive (which really saddens me) but oh well, the past is past. I remember at least 4 UPN boards distinctly but there may have been more :o
156 KOs - 376 TP - 10.75 SP
S_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
Char
Banned

I found UPN similarly to how SM did. Because I was into the PASBL all those years ago and wanted some action. Some match records may live on the PASBL Battle Archive thingy.

I posted a bit, battled a bit, had a cool moving Charizard sprite (which I can't find anymore), and was surprised that my account was gone when I tried to come back years later. Some crash or something people said.

I also vaguely remember this guy who said that Misty was one of his first crushes or something, which he lost because Johto? And he had a long list of different crushes listed afterwards throughout his life.

Ceomorgoth friended me on AIM and told me to post something in reply to some post on some thread. He's still on my list (lol).

Now I'm back on UPN. But that's all I remember from the past.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #24
Emp
Volcano Badge

I’ve posted in one of these before and I’ve had my user title privileges for years so I’ll try make it brief. I was drawn here by FB in 2008. That was a great year to be a member when FB was at its most active in ages, I remember I’d spend summer nights on my computer on MSN with guys like Pearl’s Perap whilst I thought up ideas for FB adventures or did some srs Shoddy Battling.

It when FB died down I was drawn out of my comfort zone a bit, but it allowed me to get more involved with other areas of UPN like the misc and Pokémon sections. I love reading some of the longwinded debates that go on here, usually with Talon and someone else. I joined PASBL once in 08, got bored after one battle, joined again in 10, got bored after a couple of battles / decided to focus on Uni, joined again in 11 and it’s been my longest run this time through. There’s some really cool people in the TO nowadays.

So yeah, this forum has become a home for me in some ways. It’s second on my most viewed list too and it’s probably the only forum I still visit. Long live UPN!

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #25
Hayward
Ronin Harrier

Like Emp, FB brought me here, but it's pretty much dead now, so I just lurk, taking part in the occasional holiday giveaways and trading trashmon with Silver Wind.

Would have liked to have been here during FB's heyday though, I bet it was fun. Oh well, hopefully things will pick up when/if the Gen V pogeys get released. *shrugs*

pc | bag | cc

art by kiseki
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork