UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Deck Building Games

I uh, I think this goes in here. Maybe?

So. Having located our local general nerdiness store, my family went there to check it out. And, well, they picked out a game called 'Tento Cure'.

After talking to an expert about exactly how it worked, I learned about this whole other category of card games- I actually had some games of this kind, but I didn't know the category existed!

So, if you're here, I probably don't need to explain to you how they work. But, I do have a question for the experts: Would Settlers of Catan fall into this category?

Anyway, yeah. Go wild and talk about these rather intellectual games all you want!
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

'Nerdiness' store? Did you mean hobby store?

And I wouldn't consider Catan a card game. While cards are in the game, it is still essentially a board game. Just as we wouldn't call Monopoly a card game despite the fact that the properties you purchase are cards.

Never heard of Tento Cure, unless you meant Tanto Cuore, in which case, I've also never heard of it before today.

I suppose Dominion is a deck building.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

We kind of already have a thread for this, the table top games thread

I recommend Thunderstone for deck building though
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pretty sure you mean Tanto Cuore, Kind. My friend IRL has that game. In fact, we just played it last night for the third or fourth time since he got it for Christmas. It's a fun game. Not amazingly amazingly fun in my opinion, but still fun. Definitely worth checking out if (1) you recognize the artists from their other works and (2) you and your friends enjoy deck-building games like Magic: the Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh! but you don't enjoy how one guy, usually the one with the most disposable income or the greatest obsession with the game, tends to get all the best cards, make the best and most decks out of them, and wins way more often than not. However, the game will probably cause a few of your friends or family members to raise their eyebrows. Almost all Many of the maids look like they're 17 or younger and the way that some of the game's mechanics are worded alludes to the fact that you're a lecherous aristocrat who is hiring these girls for more than just their dusting and sweeping skills. Gotta admit, though, that the game's mature mascot, Marianne Soleil, is quite the lure.

I would not have initially placed Settlers of Catan into this same category of games occupied by titles like Tanto Cuore and Dominion ... but only initially. On second thought, I think you're right. Both games basically operate along the same basic principles:
  • Each player is trying to amass resources / build a deck by which they maintain advantage over the other players and win the game.
  • Everyone has an equal chance to get whatever resources / cards when the game begins.
  • The resources exist within a community pool. They are finite, so as the game progresses, decks will inevitably start to differ, even if two players attempt to execute the exact same strategies.
So I guess yeah: Tanto Cuore is basically the Akiba maid variant of Settlers of Catan.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

Just to clarify to Kind, MtG and Yu-Gi-Oh aren't actually deck building games, they're TCG/CCG. A deck building game is a card game that relies on building your deck of cards and creating a strategy around it during the course of the game. So, Race for the Galaxy, Thunderstone, Dominion, Ascension, etc/ whole game revolves around making your deck as the game progresses. Sounds long and tiring but it's quite fast paced once you learn the rules.

Also while Catan is a resource building game, it is not deck building. I'd call it more of territorial strategy, or something.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Splitting hairs. No, MtG and YGO are not "deck building games" in the sense of the phrase as it's been used by 2010-2012's gamers to describe the genre of games into which Dominion and Tanto Cuore fall; yes, MtG and YGO are totally "deck building games" insofar as you fucking build a deck out of a much larger card pool and with that deck attempt to beat others who have also built decks. I mean, quite truly, here is the only difference between games like MtG and games like Tanto Cuore:

MtG games: Player A builds from Pool A, Player B builds from Pool B, Pool A =/= Pool B
Tanto Cuore games: Player A builds from Pool A, Player B builds from Pool B, Pool A = Pool B

I think you're better off fighting this one from the other direction, Deoxys: rather than insisting that MtG and YGO ought not to be considered deck building games, it would probably just be easier (and universally agreed upon) to claim that Tanto Cuore and Dominion are not TCGs/CCGs. As they are not.

EDIT: Correction. One other major difference.

Some (most) MtG games: you don't play the decks as you build them, nor does playing the partially-built decks result in further building them.
Tanto Cuore: the opposite of the above.

Surprised I overlooked this as it's easily the most obvious difference.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-22-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

I would consider MtG EDH and Group drafting a deck building game definitely (in fact the former is really the only way I have fun play MtG anymore)

I was simply clarifying that yeah, while they are games based around building decks, to not confuse the two in terms of their general strategies so that you don't get upset when one doesn't work the way you want it to.

Anyway, all of the games I've linked to already I highly recommend, save Ascension, I haven't played it and hear it's very boring (apparently, you play it once, you've played every time).
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
  • Each player is trying to amass resources / build a deck by which they maintain advantage over the other players and win the game.
  • Everyone has an equal chance to get whatever resources / cards when the game begins.
  • The resources exist within a community pool. They are finite, so as the game progresses, decks will inevitably start to differ, even if two players attempt to execute the exact same strategies.
So I guess yeah: Tanto Cuore is basically the Akiba maid variant of Settlers of Catan.
Uh.. No on multiple bullet points.

Dominion everyone starts with the same 'deck'. Catan, players each start with different starting settlements, thus different set of possible resources. i.e. I can own three settlements next to Sheep resource tiles and control most/all the Sheep income (which is actually a strategy a friend of mine had). This automatically makes each player start differently.

Not everyone has an equal chance of getting resources in Catan. Depending on the random tile/number and odds of dice roll and where your settlements are, the chances are easily not equal.

I don't know how Catan has finite community resources since spending the resource returns it to the pool. Settlements and roads are specific to each player and while resources are finite, they're usually spent and/or traded long before you run out of cards.

And as I said, Catan is a board game. Unless you want to consider Monopoly a deck building game since:
-Each player is trying to amass money and property by which they maintain an advantage over the other players and win the game.
-Everyone has an equal (random) chance to land on/buy whatever property when they land on the property.
-Properties are finite, so as the game progresses, monetary value will inevitably start to differ, even if two players attempt to execute the exact same strategies.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I must be remembering Settlers of Catan very, very differently from you then. Because the Catan I'm familiar with is one where everyone has an equal opportunity to be "the guy who monopolizes the board's wheat" or "the guy who spends more of his resources investing in THESE attributes rather THESE OTHER attributes," etc. If you're saying people start off the game and don't have the same opportunities as everyone else (not counting stuff like if Player 1 takes what Player 3 wanted, then too bad for Player 3), then my memory of Catan must be so rusty it's broken.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment