Old 10-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #78
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Incredible battle so far.
VERY busy with work.
By next Friday I can give further input

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYA..._x9Tvsq4pLbmCw

Check every week as I will likely have a new video review.
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:57 PM   #79
AK2
Boulder Badge

no. Leon has 3 left, Ash has 4. All beaten up with variantcy in intensity

Old 10-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #80
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Leon is obnoxiously overpowered. With how much Cynthia and Steven's aces struggled against Ash, Leon's team is disgusting as it implies his Dragapult and Inteleon are on the level of the other champ's aces.

I'm pretty confident that if Ash has Dragonite, Pikachu, and Dracovish alive versus Charizard, he'll be able to pull out a win.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:20 PM   #81
AK2
Boulder Badge

We will see in two episodes

Old 11-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #82
AK2
Boulder Badge

Thoughts so far: the battle itself is good, one of the best I have ever seen and with the potential to be the best.

Everything else is not very good. The hinted cameos are just Journeys character of the day types: Go should be here. All of Ash’s companions and rivals should be in the stands. ALL of Ash’s Pokémon should be in the stands with Deliah and Oak:::: not watching on tv.

Battle itself is 10/10. The other issues bring it it to a 9/10

Old 11-02-2022, 08:19 PM   #83
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No way, the Ash v Leon battle is total butt.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2022, 05:32 AM   #84
AK2
Boulder Badge

HE DID IT!

After 25 years, Ash has done it!

Part FOUR of this battle was just.... everything....

Like I said, I enjoyed this battle in itself just fine, but I didn't like the lack of his friends being there or seeing all of his Pokemon.

But the pan out to all of his friends, Pikachu dreaming (?) of the support it got from all of it's Poke-buddies, AND Team Rocket crying with pride like some proud (abusive) parents.

THIS WAS A PERFECT EPISODE! The original Mesaze score, Pikachu being the one to get the win, the way they psyched us out TWICE thinking Leon won, using the bleeping STADIUM to battle on.....

Yes, this is the best battle in the franchise.

I will write a more thorough review later.

My day was made.

Oh, and this definitely lines up with the next three titles which suggests this is the end of Ash's journey :p

Old 11-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #85
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Might want to spoiler that.

I'm too busy these days so I didn't follow the finals that much, but I'll say it's something of a surprise.

Not sure where Pokemon goes from here. The logical conclusion is a timeskip + ending.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2022, 09:49 PM   #86
Char
Banned

Beautiful episode. Tear inducing. Amazing battle and recognition of characters along the journey.

Best quality battle in the series, probably the most meaningful since Ash vs. Gary.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #87
phoopes
Double Dragon

I saw the clips reposted on Twitter. I haven't watched the anime in years but damn, they got me with this one haha. I didn't think I had any emotional attachment to Ash anymore but apparently I do. Good for them for making the moment so satisfying.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #88
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Beautiful episode. Tear inducing. Amazing battle and recognition of characters along the journey.

Best quality battle in the series, probably the most meaningful since Ash vs. Gary.
This.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #89
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I saw the clips reposted on Twitter. I haven't watched the anime in years but damn, they got me with this one haha. I didn't think I had any emotional attachment to Ash anymore but apparently I do. Good for them for making the moment so satisfying.
Your not the only person who has said that. ESPECIALLY with the cameos of all the past human characters and the vision of the past Pokemon on various teams, this battle welcomed an open hand to all fans

Old 11-12-2022, 09:37 PM   #90
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I saw it. I give it an 8/10. I think everyone's overrating it too much.

It's easily the best animated episode in the series, and a great moment for Pikachu and some tingles callbacks, but again...it's Pikachu versus a Charizard, versus a literal dandy who didn't exist before 2019. Ash doesn't have as much of a history with Leon as he did with Kukui, or even Cynthia, who he's known for 15 years in real time now.

What it does is it vindicates Alola somewhat since a lot of people looked down on Alola as a backwater region with an amateur league nobody watched or knew about. I also dislike that the Z-Move fizzled against Gigantamax Charizard, I wish the Z-Move had killed Cinderace through Libero and allowed Pikachu to fight Gigantamax Charizard with no gimmicks. For a writing team that has a lot of sincere affection for Alola, it was a disappointing showing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #91
AK2
Boulder Badge

Thats disappointing to hear :/ especially since I have been harder on this tournament than you. For me this episode was an 11 out of 10, best battle in the franchise, and best way to put Ash out to pasture. Oh well.

At least three more episodes to go!

Old 12-03-2022, 03:38 AM   #92
AK2
Boulder Badge

Project Mew

Life is busy.

Real quick:

I enjoyed the two part conclusion to project Mew. Especially part two.

I feel like Go is one of Ash's best traveling companions, and the only one we saw on-screen reach their goal.

I know 99.99% of people hate him. Oh well.

It looks like it will take two more episodes to wrap up the story.

Christmas/New Years will be two weeks off per scheduling tradition.

Despite rumors, Paldean anime *still* NOT confirmed.

Whether it's a new series, a limited release, or nothing, wont happen until 2023.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:10 AM   #93
AK2
Boulder Badge

THREE NEW VIDEOS

Hi everyone.

I made three new videos tonight, first time in a while.

1. The first is my thought on Project Mew, Go, and the future of the anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFO...BrianFrancisco

2. My review of Pokemon Scarlet (why a duplicate post is in the threads for this game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz5t...BrianFrancisco

3. My review of Journeys as a whole. 84 minutes long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsVo...BrianFrancisco

4. Addendum to Journeys review- brief reviews of the other regions and where Journeys falls into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gED5...BrianFrancisco

5. Scarlett review addendum, where it stacks up with the other games and my brief thoughts on them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmkZ...BrianFrancisco

Good: If you like my videos, enjoy your Christmas gifts. I can promise another before New Years, when Journeys is complete.

Bad: I know some random dude talking at a laptop camera with a montone voice is so 2007.

Reasons are lack of a powerful desktop, camera, mic, editing software. IRL reasons are lack of time due to health issues, needing to focus on next step or career, issues with friends and loved ones including recent deaths, my own daily health issues that take up half of the day, and also focusing on losing weight, publishing/writing medical memoir, other side-projects.

It could financially alone take two years to make better videos, at the very least, several months, with time that I don't have. At the very least the plan is to start 2023 with videos like TheChornick, who shows picture stills with background music. Pardon the appearances.

This took up over 2 hours of my time, so I hope everyone enjoys.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:11 AM   #94
AK2
Boulder Badge

TWO more videos

Yo.

So I wanted to share my thoughts on the problematic nature of a "Pokemon Master" is bad world building

I also decided to describe my favorite Poketubers, with links in the description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFq...BrianFrancisco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hSO...BrianFrancisco

Old 12-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #95
AK2
Boulder Badge

End of an era. Beginning of a transition. New era coming soon

Per usual, I made a youtube video on my thoughts. In summary:

1. Last two episodes were the last for Journeys. Very mixed bag of a series for me. It had potential and squandered a lot. It delivered on some things, too. It's somewhere in the middle for me.

Ash, Go, and Chloe go camping and talk about how they have grown. Koharu learned by traveling with Eevee that she wants to learn more about Pokemon, specifically in regard to evolution. Go wants to go on a Journey, without Ash because..... they dont say. In the past, when May left for example, they -explained- that it was because she was starting to mimic Ash's battle style in her contest performances too much. She needed to grow independently. Why not just explain that for Goh?

Ash beats Goh to the punch and announces that he is leaving on his own Journey. He does not state it means he will go alone. Go freaks out and runs off crying over this.

Koharu explains to Ash that he was Go's first real friend. IRL some people made an issue over this, as Goh had been friends with Koharu herself since childhood, and had met Tokio.

I don't have a problem with it per se, as he knew Tokio for a day and didn't -hang out- with Koharu and her girlfriends at school, even though they were technically friends. It was either sloppy writing or the sentiment was probably meant to be "close, best friend".

The boys run into Lugia, the same from the second episode, and Ash wants to battle/kinda catch it, Go wants to catch it.

The first part ended here. My problem with the Lugia battle was that the question is: to what end are they battling/trying to catch Lugia? Ash's focus has been battling since like, episode 13 of the OG series as it was made clear that he wouldnt be filling up the Dex. And proving that he CAN beat a Legendary was already done on several occasions: ie Articuno, Regice, Darkrai, Latios, etc Now With Goh, he has wanted to fill up the Pokedex to work his way up to Mew. This was retconned with Project Mew and wanting to -see- Mew.... which he already did. Regardless, with one of them being the strongest trainer in the world, and the other having been deemed worthy by Mew to touch it, this should have been a decent battle.

Until it wasn't. It was old school OP Kanto butt-wooping. No dont made on Lugia. The boys are thrashed and when a peice of rock they are on starts caving down, they call their Pokemon back.... and.... don't panic about their inevitable deaths? ^_^;

Lugia saves them (feels condescending on the parts of the writers) with full strength and it shows them around 12 different sceneries with Pokemon. So it looks like Lugia was testing them... cuz? To see how far they have come? From there we are treated to one of the many times we had one of those "wonders of Pokemon" montages as I stated above.

They see Ho-oh... again. And not the alternate movie universe version of Ash seeing Ho-oh again. Atleast it notices them and acknowledges them this time. Lugia may have been symbolic of one journey ending, and Ho-oh of course representing the beginning of a new.

Ash and Go then get to the lab where Deliah and Oak, Go's parents, Koharu's family, the two adult lab workers, and all of Goh's Pokemon come to celebrate (all of Goh's Pokemon too) and give the boys a proper send-off (last week Ash was at Oak's lab for like a minute and after the Bayleef hug-Pokemon stampede, quickly leaves, with Deliah already armed with fresh clothes for him.... I guess the writers wanted to remedy that).

Koharu announces she wants to be a Pokemon research assistant, as Ash and Go feel bad that the lab wont have assistants now. It felt fitting, beyond the daughter of professor Sakluragi and being intrigued in Pokemon evolution now... that's that.

Ash and Go then part ways by picking different roads to go down. They both pick Kanto, with Ash eventually finding a route that goes to Pallet Town, while Go goes off in another direction.

3. Aside from that, we get an underwhelming Rocket HQ scene. Short and cheap. Which is a bummer, they have been some of the highlights of the end of each series. As a recap, by the end of DP, Giovanni had been more than ready to be rid of the trio, (as far back as the second Orange Islands episode, he had thought he killed them off by getting them on a sinking blimp, and at some points forgot who they are) but they took full credit for single handedly taking down Team Galactic (they helped a little bit) and Gio actually fell for it.

Since then when each series ends they repeat this lie in regard to the regional villain (not to mention they saved Giovanni's life at the end of the Meloetta arc), so they have been in his good graces. This time... they just said something (haven't seen proper subs yet) about being in the process of capturing a strong Pokemon they saw at the PWC.... he is ok with that? They go on to try and capture Pikachu and fail.

That's it for Journeys.

2. If this was the end of a franchise, that would go from not good to outright terrible, but...

A. There will be a special next week where Ash runs into a boy who has a message for him. They have some kind of journey.

Good: The animation is beautiful, best since Kalos.
Better: Gary calls out Ash on his elusive, goal-post changing, end-game of becoming a Pokemon Master.... what is it, exactly? Looks like we will see.

B. There will be 11 episodes dedicated (not Journeys episodes) which will rap up Ash and Pikachu's story. Misty and Brock will be in it, we don't know if they will travel with him, but the poster suggests it. It also teases all of Ash's past Pokemon, but that may be click bait. The animation looks gorgeous, and yes this is where I suspect we will see the Rocket Trio and the organizations stories wrap up because...

C. A new series will start in April with two brand new protagonists, a boy and a girl. I can't imagine the Rocket Trio being around to harass them lol. I also think this looks like a brand new start in the Pokemon franchise. Details are slim right now, but these two protagonists seem to be traveling together and the three trio starters have been revealed to be in the beginning of the series.

This is late for a series that promotes the new games, but with how rushed Nintendo made Game Freak release the last games, Gen 10 probably won't be out for about 4 years, so this seems to work.

The future looks exciting! A video I made about this can be found on my channel in my signature, and I highly recommend looking upo the newest videos by Poketubers: "charusharu" and 'Pokeferlax" on these topics.

Have a good one everyone, see you next week!

Old 12-16-2022, 12:37 PM   #96
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I might have felt more depression at the anime ending if this happened like 2 weeks ago. As-is I don't care at all.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime