UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
XanderKetsu
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via AIM to XanderKetsu Send a message via Skype™ to XanderKetsu
Fate/Extra

While I did play Fate/ Stay Night, watch Unlimited Blades Works, Carnival Phantasm, and Fate/Zero, I heavily failed to comment on that in this forum, as the content and girth of Talon's posts scared the crap out of me. That changes today, for I bring my "at by play" analysis of...

A PSP game came out a few years back, its quite different from the original Grail War we all know and love. For one thing, it takes place in VIRTUAL REALITY! [Inset SAO reference here.] I can see that most of you may or may not have played this game, I'm stopping you from asking questions(Which I will probably give poor answers to), or comments to fill us(and me) in. Though, you probably would have done that anyway. Anyways, let's get this started.

As I start the game, I do notice a countdown, "3 days remaining." While hasn't changed, there are a few noticeable differences. What really jumped out at me was the art direction. Take a look at this comparison of Stay Night's and Extra Sakuras.

Spoiler: show

To me, it seems they went for a more cutesy, softer look. That could be just Sakura, as moe as she is, but in Extra, she looks two years younger! The fanboy in me is starting his rage kindling.

The first day goes without a hitch, as the protagonist without a name, I meet Shinji, a pompous ass as ever, Taiga, teaching biology for whatever reason, and a Mr. Kuzuki, which looks nothing like Souichirou. Many double takes were had.

Spoiler: show

The protagonist also seems to take part in the journalism club, run by Kaede Makidera, Kane Himuro, Yukika Saegusa. Their job is to tell you to investigate places at school for a few articles. Nothing too major, other than when they have you hunt down the allusive beauty, Rin Tohsoka.

Starting on the second day, I was introduced to Leonardo Bistario Harway, who gives me some serious Gilgamesh vibes, whom not only is a foil to Shinji, but also acts like a prince, more or less like everyone's favorite golden servant. Also run into Kirei. Not doing much, but a bit odd.

Out on the garden, I run into a pile of bodies, with Mr. Kuziki at the center. If he wasn't ominous enough. The corpse evaporate into purple smoke at the touch, clearly something is off. I get KOed by the teach, and on begins day 4.

Too tired to make something lengthy here, so I'll type this in the most anticlimactic way possible. Day 4 consists of static scenes as the main character loses his memory, Leo vanishes from class in broad daylight, amnesia attacks from everyone, Sakura speaking like a malfunctioning robot, and finding a door to a secret back room with digital walls and stained glass windows. Heavy Kingdom Hearts vibes. And, our first battle! With two odd looking doll familiars. Which minds loses, as given no time to respond to anything. The main character dies, and we transition to the REAL protagonist...

DAMMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games