UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-08-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My Evening at a Pokémon Trivia Night

My friends have been going to a trivia night once weekly for the past five years. Usually held at bars, pubs, or restaurants that serve alcohol, they enjoy the opportunity to hang out, share in recreation with friends, and of course get a little tipsy. I don't go with them to these events too too often, but almost since we began going we have joked along the lines of, "Oh, if only they would ask a Pokémon question! Then Talon would surely get it!" So imagine our surprise, laughter, and delight when we discovered that their current trivia hangout of choice would be hosting an all-night Pokémon trivia night on September 7! I made sure to clear my calendar -- I would for sure be going to this!

Our pub looked similar to this.

Going into this event, my friends were confident that I would be a ringer and that the questions would all be laughably easy for me. "Can you place these four regions in chronological order of their debuts?", "Can you name every Eeveelution?", "List as many Pokémon as you can that evolve using a Shiny Stone." I was not convinced the event would be quite so easy, and was even a little concerned that if it were too easy that it might even be mean of me to show up. ^^; But we've been joking about this for years, and nothing was going to stop me from attending.

Boy oh boy, did I not know the night that was awaiting me ...

For formatting purposes, I'm going to provide each story attached to each of the trivia questions I'll be sharing as its own post. It should make things easier to read.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

First question of the night: "Which Eevee evolution has not been used by a recurring character in the anime?" Well huh, I thought to myself. This must surely be a trick question. 'Cause I could have sworn that Virgil had every Eeveelution in existence as of Gen 5, and then of course Serena had her Sylveon, rounding out the set. But hmm. Let's see ... Well maybe ... Maybe Virgil didn't have a Leafeon , I say, because I'm pretty sure he had a Glaceon and the other five. Hmm ...

So we put down Leafeon and hand it in. After all the teams have submitted their answers, he announces that the correct answer is ... Jolteon! ..................... Wait, what? I am 99% positive Virgil had a Jolteon. I go ahead and look it up after we hand in our answer for the next question. And sure enough:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

So I bring this to the judge's attention. He says Virgil wasn't a recurring character.

Bitch, it literally says IN THE FIRST SENTENCE of the Bulbapedia article ...

I tell him Virgil was in at least six different episodes of the Gen 5 anime. Well, was he important?

BITCH, ARE YOU FOR REAL!?

Nah. Not important. ........................ Only THE REGIONAL CHAMPION for that series!

He gets nasty now. He says to me, "Alright, this is what happens when somebody comes to me and challenges me on one of my questions: if you really think you have the right answer and you have evidence to support it, then you can have this question tossed out and take away the points from all the teams who would have gotten points otherwise." I tell him a, it's not about that since our team's submission of Leafeon is still an incorrect answer and we wouldn't get points for it; b, it's not about hurting other teams; and c, the problem is that THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER to the question as asked. I do think the question should probably be tossed, but to put the decision into my court and to make it seem like I'd be a cradle-robber if I chose to toss it ...

I say fuck it and sit back down. Not worth arguing with this asshat over this. I'm probably the only person in the room who has seen all of Best Wishes, let alone remembers it, so whatever. Fine. Let's pretend no recurring character ever had a Jolteon and move on.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:25 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"What was the first only Metal-type Pokémon?" Let me repeat that: "Which was the first Metal-type Pokémon that was only Metal type?"

>Metal type

Yeah.

>METAL TYPE

Yeah. ^_^;

After I was done grimace-smiling at that Steel type misidentification, I set to work going through the likely candidates. I quickly settled on Mawile. I knew that every Steel type in Gen 2 had been a dual type, I knew that Mawile was originally Steel type, and I was fairly certain that it was the earliest one in the National Dex. Whether I was for sure right or wrong, no idea, but we submitted our answer and awaited the result.

After ten minutes, he announced with a wry smile on his face that the correct answer was ... REGISTEEL!

Before I could even explain to my friends a) why he was wrong and b) why we had been counted wrong, the table behind ours exploded with angry roars. "THAT'S WRONG!" one shouted. "MAWILE'S THE FIRST!" another hollered. The trivia judge condescendingly smirked at them. "Ah, a lot of you put Mawile! But you see? If you google Mawile, it says right here: Steel/Fairy. "

You could practically see the judge thinking this.

Players from all over the room begin shouting. Shouting that Mawile was originally mono-Steel and only later was it retyped to Steel/Fairy, ergo it was the first mono-Steel type to be introduced per the question's wording.

The judge derisively tells us that so we don't be so butthurt since so many teams put Mawile he will go ahead and count Mawile as correct also. Not because it is correct or should be counted. But because we the man-children can't stand being wrong and will behave like crybabies until we get our way.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"There have been four Pokémon professors all named after trees. Can you name the four?"

Well this was an immediate laugh. Whaddya mean four Pokémon professors? We've got seven (super main ones) now, bub. And they're all named after trees. He's been asking questions all night that reveal he probably doesn't know shit about what came after Gen 4, so I figure he probably just wants the first four. Sure enough, another team soon confirms this for us, prompting the judge to say over the loudspeaker that he only wants the first four. So we write down for the easy points OAK ELM BIRCH ROWAN and that's that. RIP Juniper, Sycamore, and Kukui. T_T
Old 09-08-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"Which legendary Pokémon has never appeared before Ash in the anime or movies?"

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... the answer used to be Ho-oh for the movies, but everyone knows that all changed last year with the movie Pokémon, I Choose You. So hmm. What the heck does he want this time?

We put down Zeraora, knowing it would be wrong (both because the movie's already out in Japan and because this douchenozzle doesn't know anything past Gen 4). Now to see what he says the right answer is ...

"The correct answer is Raikou."

Because apparently the Zoroark movie is not a thing. This is the second question of the night, and I'm still reeling from the first idiotic question-and-answer and his handling of it that I don't even feel like fighting him on this. It's pointless. This trivia night is already a farce. Let's just have fun hanging out with friends.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"Out of all the starters, which is the only one to start off with two types?"

I KNOW THIS ONE! My pen fliiiiiiiiies down the paper. "ROWLET" I boldly write. We wager the maximum number of points. I write beneath its name, in parentheses, "(GRASS/FLYING)". My teammate takes the card up to be dropped off.

I realize "the error" of my ways. This jagoff doesn't know new shit. And I've forgotten, in my adoration of Rowlet, the most famous and obvious of the two dual-typed starters: good ol' Bulbasaur with his Grass/Poison dual typing. Shyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I beg my friend to let me go up and talk to the judge. This is the fourth or fifth question of the night, and he's already seen me so upset by this judge that at first he doesn't budge from the booth to let me out. But eventually he relents, and up I go to intercept him and (SIGH ) plead our case that Rowlet ought to be counted.

Starter Pokémon: how do they work?

I reach the table and, I shit you not, he has just finished reading our submission, has typed "Rowlet" into Google, AND IS LOOKING UP WHAT A ROWLET IS AND WHAT ITS TYPINGS ARE as I approach. I tell him we're "the Rowlet team", that I realized he probably wants Bulbasaur but is Rowlet also okay. He's looking a little exhausted already. (Oh, buddy. You ain't seen the Mawile question yet. ) He says sure, he will count both answers.

Sure enough, he announces to the room that there were actually two eligible Pokémon so he will count both. One is Bulbasaur (cheers throughout), and the other is Rowlet. One table gets angry and says Rowlet shouldn't count. Oh my God ...
Old 09-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In the end, my feelings towards tonight can be summed up thusly:

BORKED

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT POKÉMON!"
Old 09-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #8
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
This was fucking wild.

Have all the UBs appeared in front of Ash or are we not counting them as Legendary (also ignoring that if you told this man what an Ultra Beast was his head might explode)?
Old 09-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
This was fucking wild.

Have all the UBs appeared in front of Ash or are we not counting them as Legendary (also ignoring that if you told this man what an Ultra Beast was his head might explode)?
I can't answer whether all the UBs have appeared before Ash yet or not, having quit watching the anime after XY&Z wrapped up. AK2 would probably know. I did consider it though and came to the (likely, imo?) conclusion that Ash has probably not seen a Naganadel yet, only Poipole. But the problem of course is as you next asked: I don't think a proper judge would consider UBs as "Legendaries" anyway. I mean, they are to me, and you, and countless other fans, both casual and hardcore alike. But when you and I use the term, we use it loosely. We lump legendaries, "mythicals" (still not used to this), and things like the UBs all under one banner. They're all "legendaries", a.k.a. Story Mode-shattering ubers that you only get one copy of (if that) per game. But yeah, no, I think if we stick to strict definitions of what a "legendary" is, e.g. the kind of thing that separates Legendaries from Mythicals, then we would be forced to categorize the Ultra Beasts as a third class of Pokémon.

It was because of this that we ended up sticking with a Mythical (Zeraora) rather than trying for Naganadel. In America, casuals still refer to Mythicals as "legendaries" all the time and don't distinguish between the two the way that our hardercore neck of the woods is starting to. But even the casuals who know about UBs seem to understand that the game forces a distinction between the two, UBs and everybody else, and that said distinction might want to be preserved. *shrug*

But no. The "correct answer" was fucking Raikou.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
"Which legendary Pokémon has never appeared before Ash in the anime or movies?"

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... the answer used to be Ho-oh for the movies, but everyone knows that all changed last year with the movie Pokémon, I Choose You. So hmm. What the heck does he want this time?

We put down Zeraora, knowing it would be wrong (both because the movie's already out in Japan and because this douchenozzle doesn't know anything past Gen 4). Now to see what he says the right answer is ...
Ash has never seen Arceus-Bug.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #11
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Ash has just encountered a naganadel (and a small army of wild poipole to boot) this past thursday, so depending on the timing of the event (and whether or not UBs count in the first place), it could be a valid answer. Similarly, kartana and pheromosa have yet to appear in the anime at all- so if the UBs do count, then question was even more of a mess than you initially thought!

There is a point that could arguably be made in the judge's defense, though: weren't the Beasts in the Zoroark movie illusions? If so, then it technically didn't appear- but then again, the same could be argued for Entei (though that involves a completely different can of worms regarding whether or not the unowns' quasireality shenanigans count one way or another). Basically, Legendary Pokemon are tad more confusing than one would expect outside of the games' lore...

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:18 AM   #12
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
There were illusions but the real Legendary Beasts showed up later in the movie iirc.

He also never met Guzzlord.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:23 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Median Dia View Post
There is a point that could arguably be made in the judge's defense, though: weren't the Beasts in the Zoroark movie illusions? If so, then it technically didn't appear
Possibly? It's not one of the movies I've seen. However:

Quote:
After Kodai blackmails Zoroark by using an illusion image of Zorua, Zoroark began destroying Crown City under the guises of Raikou, Suicune, and Entei in illusions of the city's destruction. At the same time, Kodai frames Zoroark as an evil Pokémon by airing a public message and showing edited footage of the town actually being attacked in order to have the town all to himself. While this happens, the real Suicune, Entei, and Raikou, who serve as the guardians of Crown City, sensed that the city was in danger and began making their way to the town to defend it.
Quote:
While on the plane, she is confronted by the real Suicune, Entei, and Raikou, who are convinced that Zoroark is an enemy for destroying the city.
Quote:
In the credits, Ash and his friends cheer and watch the events in Pokémon Baccer Stadium from the stands. [...] Raikou, Entei, and Suicune look at the ship carrying Zorua and Zoroark, bidding their farewells to the Illusion Pokémon before going their separate ways.
Bulbapedia's plot synopsis seems to suggest that the real Raikou is in the movie. It's possible that Ash never crosses paths with it.

FWIW, Ash did cross paths with the real Entei in the Johto anime. It was a quasi-filler episode that IIRC involved hot water and possibly also Brock's Forretress. Not entirely sure. Been quite a long time since I last saw it.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 AM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ash saw all three Johto Beasts in I Choose You! as well, because the movie was about Ho-Oh and part of Ho-Oh's legend was resurrecting them from the dead. They roam the lands surrounding Mt. Tensei.

Spoiler: show

Marshadow is also capable of using Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike with the Rainbow Feather, rather than Marshadium Z.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-08-2018, 01:34 AM   #15
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

I hadn't actually seen the movie, so I had no idea about that. In that case, the answer is distinctly wrong, and my half-hearted attempt at finding a way for them to be technically correct was highly misguided~! Also, I low-key forgot that guzzlord existed

Oh, I just remembered that we don't even have to deal with semi-filler episodes to make entei count as a crossed path: it appeared in I Choose You! as the catalyst for Ash's partnership with the blue-haired character (since they got in each other's way trying to fight it) and the caretaker of the local wild pokemon. And you can't really argue about the canon reboot involved with that film, seeing as the movies have always had a different continuity from the main anime in the first place.

On the other hand, when the pokedex says that the UBs are common on their home planes, it was being completely serious for a few of them. It's a bit hard to tell with the image size, perhaps, but every single one of those purple spots is a poipole. Yikes.

Edit: Accelgor'd on the entei front by Dopple

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:59 AM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Actually, all Pokemon movies except the new canon starting from I Choose You! are canon to the main series anime.

And it still remains to be seen if the ICY universe interacts with Alola at some point, considering it's a parallel world and one of the themes of Generation VII is parallel worlds.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #17
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Some pubs around here have "Geek Trivia" nights. I don't think I could handle one of those, because you know there's going to be some spitting, angry nerd who has to correct every minor thing with unbridled fury. A true gatekeeper, he has spent years studying the deepest lore. Your commoner talk offends him! You must be corrected like the fool you are!

If I thought you were that guy, I would be the friend trying to stop you from getting out of the booth.

Morg: Let it go, man.
Talon: No! It's called "Steel!"
Morg: Mawile is totally metal.
Talon: Just like my anger!

Although, if he seriously had to look up what a Rowlet is, maybe he does at least deserve bridled fury?

On a serious note, the way these trivia things work is there are these companies that publish question sets for pub trivia, and the hosts get their questions for the night from one of these companies. I'm guessing they have special themed question sets available for hosts that want to do theme nights (planned or otherwise). For example: surprise, it's now Pakistani trivia night! Who led the coup of '99? I don't think our host was either Pakistani or specially qualified in Pakistani history. Likewise, I don't think your host was specially knowledgeable about Pokemon, so maybe he was looking up question sets one day, saw that they had published a Pokemon themed question set back in 2014, and thought it would be fun and draw a crowd. It's not like the questions would go out of date, right? Pokemon's a classic!

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #18
phoopes
Double Dragon

Idk man, when I go to a trivia night I expect preeeeety much everything to be right. Because what fun is trivia night if the host keeps getting things wrong over and over again? I take that shit seriously because of the ~fabulous cash prizes~
Old 09-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If I were hosting trivia night to make appearances, I'd rather look like I'm clueless toward the nerdier aspect of Pokemon (i.e., knowing anything post-fad) rather than be correct.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morg View Post
On a serious note, the way these trivia things work is there are these companies that publish question sets for pub trivia, and the hosts get their questions for the night from one of these companies. I'm guessing they have special themed question sets available for hosts that want to do theme nights (planned or otherwise). [...] I don't think your host was specially knowledgeable about Pokemon, so maybe he was looking up question sets one day, saw that they had published a Pokemon themed question set back in 2014, and thought it would be fun and draw a crowd. It's not like the questions would go out of date, right? Pokemon's a classic!
Either this is what happened, or else it was his own custom list. I agree with you that ordinarily the questions aren't made by the host but rather by the trivia event-hosting company who sponsors the host with money and provides him with sound equipment, but in this particular instance there were a few signs that made it seem like the host had a hand in the question writing or selection. He was a bit of a new age hipster -- big gauges, a brimmed cap that was barely on his head, a wiry goatee of untrimmed hair, and thick black-rimmed glasses -- and he kept bringing up Pokémon Go throughout the night. ("Hey, there's a PokéStop out front that [something something something, it sounded like he had set up a prize there?]." "In Pokémon Go, which Pokémon are numbers 31, 194, and 258?" despite the fact that PoGo wouldn't have existed in 2011 when Gen 5 came stateside nor in 2013 when Gen 6 came out internationally. "We have bar prizes for 1st and 2nd place, but those of you who [something something won the the PoGo challenge?] get to claim a Pokémon figurine for a prize!" Etc.) So like ... a, I definitely think he's a PoGoer, and b, I don't think he's knowledgeable enough to modify older questions to make them modern (e.g. change the wording of a National Dex question to mention PoGo numbering instead) but clearly the modern information is in there despite the question set being so grounded in old stuff, so like ... I dunno, man. I do think you're possibly right about the question list being mostly (or even entirely) provided to him by a third party, but I strongly suspect he at least partially (if not fully) had a hand in question creation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
If I were hosting trivia night to make appearances, I'd rather look like I'm clueless toward the nerdier aspect of Pokemon (i.e., knowing anything post-fad) rather than be correct.
See above. Dude was loudly and proudly a PoGo fan, so the only way you'd be right here is if he's one of those "PoGo is great! But fuck all that Smogon EV shit " types who poo-poos on the hardcore Pokémon fans whilst being a casual mega-fan himself. ... Y'know, maybe that's what happened , but I don't think so. I think he just saw an opportunity to do Pokémon trivia, seized it 'cause he likes Pokémon, and then quickly discovered a) how seriously we the hardcore fans take it >.>; and b) how grossly out of his element he was.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #21
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Seems plausible, since a lot of people came out of a multiple-generation hiatus for Pokemon Go. And...

Mawile was always Steel/Fairy in Pokemon Go to begin with! Dun dun dun....

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON