UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #7601
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
It has been nearly SIX YEARS since Mahoyo came out -- or rather, the first of its planned three parts. We still don't have a complete English fan translation #RIP #nasujapaneseishardmode, and we still don't have any word on the second game. Here: have a listen. The delightful theme song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I wonder if I should rewatch Dragonball Z. I've been actively campaigning against nostalgia, but this one might demand a closer examination.
I can't speak for DBZ, having never seen any of Dragon Ball or its related properties, but I actually had similar thoughts regarding Fushigi Yuugi a few weeks ago. I briefly flirted with the idea of re-watching the entire thing, and only tabled it because a) the number of times things were cutting in line ahead of other things in my private life was getting to be absurd this autumn, and b) as much as I adore / may have adored the series way back when, I still remember that the villains really suck compared with the heroes and that this means I'm committing to watching a(n at best) "flawed masterpiece". But I still considered it, and I might resume watching it this coming year, who knows. (I got five or so episodes in before I put it down. The heroes were on their way to meet Tenshouin.)

I'm delighted to say that most of my favorite series have held up remarkably well. Haruhi, Hikaru no Go, and Minami-ke all remain solid 10 out of 10s, to name three of the most recently revisited of my favorites. I'm planning to re-watch Kanon 2006 with Yuki soon, and I think that one will be a delight as well.
Talon87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #7602
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Kadowaki Mai (Ilya) sings "Pretty Fly For a White Guy". This is apparently a thing, as is the 12-track CD from which it comes.

The other remixes I sampled ("Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Anarchy in the UK") weren't anywhere near as good as Kadowaki Mai's performance. They're too remixed -- like, genre-swapping levels of remix. But the Kadowaki Mai one exists to be enjoyed and "O_o" 'd at.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:11 AM   #7603
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

A Japanese company took Sazae-san ...

... and parsed it through the Shinkai Makoto filter to give us this:

BORKED

A 30-second CM that animates Sazae and her future husband when they were in high school.

Holy fucking shit I would be interested in watching this.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:49 AM   #7604
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Wait, Sazae-san is female?

I always thought Sazae referred to that little kid...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #7605
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Replying to your Kajiura Yuki false alarm death post here because a) she's not really dead and b) I don't think anyone will be much interested in the conversation we're about to begin except for those of us here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
This just in: Kaijura Yuki has died.

Edit: It's a troll, kind of.

She was fired from one of her current composing jobs and it's being reported as "Kaijura is Kill".

Sorry for the false alarm.
Thanks for the edit because I just about had a heart attack reading the original. I just discovered this summer release earlier today, too!

Spoiler: show
BORKED

I knew it was a long shot, but I was curious to see if I could find Kalafina singing Christmas songs. ¬_¬; While I didn't find that, this (above) was a pleasant discovery.

Doing some investigating on my own, it appears that she's leaving her current talent agency, a group called Space Craft, and it doesn't sound like she's taking Kalafina with her. Reportedly Kajiura is exploring the legal morass of what rights she has to the music she composed while with Space Craft.

Fans seem split over whether they think Kalafina will be okay without Kajiura or whether Kajiura was Kalafina. I'm more inclined towards the latter -- the ladies have lovely singing voices, but Kalafina was definitely Kajiura Yuki's outlet for writing Japanese lyrical songs and it seems to me that, without her vision and guidance, the band will cease to effectively "be" Kalafina anymore.

Fans are also discussing whether Kalafina's three singers wish to leave Space Craft now too, now that Kajiura Yuki has left, or whether they wish to or even have to remain behind. Which is to say -- fans are asking the question, "Can Kalafina regroup outside of Space Craft?" Can Kajiura Yuki helm the three ladies once more under the same name? If not the same name, under a new name?

Sources:
http://otakomu.jp/archives/651678.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/testab/archives/5938215.html
Old 12-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #7606
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Yuki and I rewatched Kanon together, Kyoto Animation's 2006 adaptation of Key's debut visual novel. We finished it yesterday, and I am happy to report that it holds up very well. It is a surprisingly well-written first work. The characters are lovely. The mystery-driven plot is exhilarating. The story is rich with themes and other ideas or messages the writers wish to explore; these include family, miracles, and coping mechanisms. The story has no shortage of symbols, with Ayu's red hairband and the certain lost something leading the way. The music is good, with several great songs. The animation is beautiful and could still go shoulder-to-shoulder with today's anime.

It's just a very good anime!

SPOILERS FOR THE END OF THE STORY

BORKED

The scene of Ayu falling from the tree is as heart-wrenching and unforgettable today as it was eleven years ago. The combination of Key (in the story writing) and Kyoto Animation (in the actual animation) does a fantastic job of building up to this moment. Everything about the Child Yuuichi-Child Ayu flashbacks is darling, and when they arrive at the tree and start talking about Ayu's special school in the forest it's all so pure and innocent. While the true nature of Ayu's tragedy is hidden in plain sight from the very first episode, first-time viewers by the truckload don't see "it" coming until it happens --

And as Ayu falls from the tree, KyoAni does such a marvelous job of capturing the horror of the moment.

And as she lays there on the ground, dying, her little voice trembling ...

And they cut to the pool of blood, so massive it's reached her hands ...

And then, what really got Yuki and I this time on the re-view, and a line that neither of us had remembered --

"If I can't move ... we can't play. "

I'VE GOT TEARS BATHING MY CHEEKS MY RIGHT NOW AS I WRITE THIS. ^^;;

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kanon 2006 may not be perfect. Most viewers find fault with some thing or another, even if not all viewers will agree on what those problems are. But of the three Key works I have seen to date -- Kanon, Air, and Clannad -- I would say that Kanon is by far Key's strongest outing. Clannad has the biggest of the "great scenes" in Key history, quite possibly in animated history, but it's a long and tiresome slog to get there. Air is wonky. But Kanon is a pure delight. It's not just good averaged out across its entire length, as would be Clannad -- it's good most each and every episode.

If you haven't watched Kanon 2006 in years, consider giving it a reviewing, as we did. I don't think you'll regret it. And if you haven't seen it before, consider giving it a shot. Before there was ufotable and their love of all things Type-Moon, there was Kyoto Animation and their love of all things Key. Kanon 2006 is a clear labor of love, from start to finish, made possible by the critical acclaim the studio received for Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu and all the money that it generated.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #7607
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I read the second-to-last chapter and realized this somehow passed us all by.

Many, many story arcs have concluded in the past 2 years. Just listing them off would be spoilers!

It seems, only One Piece remains undiscovered.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #7608
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Holy moly I actually watched a show! It feels like forever since I watched a full anime. I think I'll try just watching shows after a season so I can marathon them.

Inuyashiki
This was a pretty interesting show. The whimsical nature of the teenager made it kind of unpredictable on what he was going to do next. Admittedly once you saw the pattern, that went away pretty quickly. Old man was a cool main character. He wasn't heroic or anything, but he was just a relatively shy old man. "I need help!" *camera closes in on a window for him to bust through* *doorbell rings* "Hello? Is everything okay?" Now for negatives! The show got a little ridiculous at times. The way the two main characters became the way they are was umm....dumb to say the least. The references were pretty heavy-handed. Seems a bit unprofessional to just constantly name titles. On the same note, it got stupidly opinionated. We had one episode dedicated to bashing a certain internet site. Also...UGLY CRYING FACES! The complaints are somewhat small, but still hamper the experience a bit. I enjoyed the show overall. I'd say it's worth an 8, and it was nice blazing through a show again.

I'm also going to give Houseki no Kuni and Blend S a shot.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #7609
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Jojo Part V is coming.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced for Spring and already under development. This is exciting, as it (along with Part VIII: Jojolion) are the only two parts I haven't read/been spoiled for ahead of time. For Jojolion I read most of what was out back in 2015 or so, so it's been a while. But I've read nothing of Part V.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #7610
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

The long silence on Part V is doubtless due to:
  • deciding whether they would/could push on through Part VI or not
  • securing the funds necessary to make Part VI a possibility
  • working quietly on Part V (with the remaining funds available to them from Parts III and IV, as well as with any new funds secured for Parts V and VI)
I imagine that when we get our first episode for Part V, Part VI will enter production (if it hasn't already by that time).

Interesting that it's officially being subtitled as "Golden Wind" rather than as "Vento Aureo". Obviously both mean the same thing, and both serve as translations of the Japanese title, 黄金の風. But I've only ever heard fans refer to it as Vento Aureo before. I wonder if the decision was made to bring Part V into step with all of the other parts (which are all referred to in English by their English subtitles -- Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable, Steel Ball Run ...) or if it was an oversight by the Japanese committee, unaware that English fans have all been referring to it in Italian all this time. *shrug* Can you shed some light on this for us, Doppel?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #7611
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was Araki's original English name. I couldn't find any origin online, but I remembered the All-Star Battle trailer featured every English/Japanese name and sure enough it's listed there as "Vento Aureo".

Don't watch that trailer though. Lotso' Huggin Spoilers. :p
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime