UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 06-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
Gallade Wii U Revealed

I’m sure you all have heard the announcement; Nintendo’s newest gaming console is called the Wii U. It is Nintendo’s next generation console, sporting HD graphics and wacked out controller with a touch screen.

Here is the official site with official details: http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction
And here is the launch trailer for the device: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

The system unfortunately only supports one of those new fangled controllers at a time, but does support up to four additional Wii Remotes and all Wii Remote accessories. The console is fully backwards compatible with the Wii, but it is not backwards compatible in any fashion with the Gamecube, so those of you who use Gamecube controllers for Smash should start looking for some Classic Controllers. A bevy of third party developers have expressed interest in the machine, but despite this it appears that investors aren’t too hopeful. Nintendo stock has dropped rather dramatically since the announcement. In addition to this Nintendo is doing away with the Friend Codes for this machine and will have usernames and online services similar to Xbox Live.
Personally I think it looks really cool, I’m still relatively skeptical about it but I’m sure I’ll end up buying one.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

BORKED

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

@Weebos:
Sounds like some good and some bad. From here, it's looking like the bad will ultimately matter a lot less than the good. The fact that you can only have one Wii U-mote may become a non-problem once we see what sorts of games and apps people develop. And it's always possible for Nintendo to say, "You know what, we'll allow 2+ Wii U-motes to be plugged in. We're just going to limit the TV screen changing shenanigans to Player 1's controller, that's all." Or something. The XBox Live model for Nintendo's online service sounds good provided it's XBox Live in mechanics and not in business model, i.e. monthly service fees. That'd suck. Obviously you get way you pay for, but I'd probably just as soon not sign up then if that's going to be the case. Never signed up for original Xbox Live on my Xbox, either. But for those who are willing and able to pay for it, I think this could be a really great bit of news. You might see a lot more competitive multiplayer titles (fighters, racers, sports titles, shooters) making their way to the Wii U if Nintendo's going to offer stable and broad uplinks.

Also, the stock dropping off after E3 might not necessarily mean much: we'd need to know how much it rose leading up into E3 to be able to make an informed judgment. It's possible people scrambled for Nintendo stock in hopes that, should Nintendo have revealed "the next Wii" (i.e. the next big video game phenomenon), their purchases would be rewarded. As it was, Nintendo didn't reveal the proverbial "next Wii": they simply revealed their actual next Wii and it obviously wasn't a show stopper. Best of show? Yes. But being the best of show at E3 2011 wasn't really much of a challenge when you're the only one showcasing new hardware.

@Kuno:
1. Sounds an awful lot like Miss Piggy from the Muppets.
2. I think I'm still going to naturally read this as "Wii You" rather than "Wii Oo". :P
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

You never saw Kung Pow? That's pretty much the original audio if my memory serves correctly. Her voice is so awful.

Anyway, it looks interesting to get a small tablet as a new console, but I'm not sure how well it would work out. I pretty much consider it a Nintendo iPad, but much more gaming oriented. Can't know anything for certain until it's out though.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Third times the charm right guys?

Right?

...Hello?

Guys?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>implying the PSP had better sales than the DS
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

>Implying the PSP had sales.

Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
>implying the PSP had better sales than the DS
It did for the first half a year or so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebos View Post
>Implying the PSP had sales.
I bought mine when it was on sale so you're wrong to! lol
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
It did for the first half a year or so!

I bought mine when it was on sale so you're wrong to! lol
I'm not saying its bad of course, I almost wanted one enough to consider buying one, then they announced the whole PSP games coming to PS3 thing and I was like, eh, I'll get a PS3 instead, eventually, maybe.

Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Wait, the PSP exists?! I thought it was a myth, like the PS3 and the Xbox. Darn it, at least I'll be happy to always know that the Macintosh will always be a myth.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Got a PSP to play SNES ROMs.

Ended up playing Lunar and Pirates! instead.

No regrets.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Spikkle
Cascade Badge

Send a message via MSN to Spikkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebos View Post
In addition to this Nintendo is doing away with the Friend Codes for this machine and will have usernames and online services similar to Xbox Live.

You can keep your HD graphics*, this is what will make the Wii U great.

*Please don't stop using HD graphics Nintendo, I want pretty pictures

Spikkle ------ Hollo ------ Tyke ------ Kooky Monster ------ Blake ------ Rockon

PASBL Squad | Fizzy Bubbles | Winner of deo's Award for Least Intelligent Comment of All Time

Need refs for: vs. Copy (new match)

Bonus:
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Pikachu is like me when I play tennis. If I play someone that sucks, I start to suck and lose. But if I play someone good, I play somewhat decently and still lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
"One cross referee; one wayward pinch of banned narcotic substance, one RNG... AND KABLOOIE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
And the round starts off with both Pokemon pulling out a Monopoly Board and.. it seems to work! Relicanth starts things off by picking the Tophat. Vulpix seems to be upset, as he coveted that piece. Luckily for him he does just that! Vulpix uses Covet and gets to play with the Tophat piece. Relicanth looks quite upset by these turn of events, and decides to use the Car instead!

The round continues with Relicanth landing on Central Avenue! He decides to purchase the property.. it's super effective! Vulpix instead decides to use Imprison! Suddenly Relicanth finds himself in jail! What an exciting twist! The round ends with Relicanth unable to do anything else at the moment.

Spikkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

I read the other day that Nintendo had some third party games running on the system in real time for E3, but decided at the last minute to not show them because they looked too much like their PS3/360 counterparts, and they didn't want to make the system look less powerful than it really is.

That's fantastic.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
ObviousUser2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I read the other day that Nintendo had some third party games running on the system in real time for E3, but decided at the last minute to not show them because they looked too much like their PS3/360 counterparts, and they didn't want to make the system look less powerful than it really is.

That's fantastic.
LOL. How's your unreliable sources these days? Do you believe everything you read?
ObviousUser2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviousUser2010 View Post
LOL. How's your unreliable sources these days? Do you believe everything you read?
Not sure if troll...

Alright, I'll gladly deliver. I want to know what makes you think that's so funny, exactly? It's not hard to believe that Nintendo is trying to get with the program. If that isn't enough for you, let me provide you with a direct example; For reference, the Xbox 360 runs Radeon HD ~X1900 on it's ~8 year old graphics card, and the Wii U will be using a Radeon HD 4XXX series card in it's console (rumors are having it at around 4850), which is nearly three GPU generations ahead of what the 360 can currently handle.

Now, take that, the 360 already has fantastic graphics still to this day, and throw in the fact that the Zelda HD tech demo was just that... only a tech demo, and you can take a pretty good guess at how great games will look on the system by 2015 (not to mention the demo itself was rendered in real time in the system and looks better than most PS3/360 games).

If that still isn't enough to convince you, this was the GameCube's Zelda tech demo, and now compare that to Windwaker and Twilight Princess graphically, which were both on the GameCube, and you'll notice they look a lot better.

I will say this, however, Miyamoto reportedly said today that the Wii U will not be significantly more powerful than the PS3 and 360 in terms of raw power. Graphics, however, are a different story...

Last edited by deoxys; 06-21-2011 at 10:15 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News