UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

PERSONALITY THREAD

IN THIS THREAD WE SHARE OUR PERSONALITY TYPES AS DETERMINED BY THE MYERS-BRIGGS TYPE INDICATOR

THE MYERS-BRIGGS TYPE INDICATOR IS USED AS A METHOD OF GROUPING PERSONALITIES AND I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT IS BROAD ENOUGH TO INCLUDE ALL PERSONALITY TYPES AND FOCUSED ENOUGH TO BE RELEVANT TO THE GROUPS OF PERSONALITY TYPES THAT IT INCLUDES. MANY OTHER INDICATORS ATTEMPT TO COME CLOSE WITH THINGS LIKE PERCENTAGE POINTS AND VAGUE WORDS BUT THEY ARE JUST NOT GOOD SO WE WILL IGNORE THEM. MBTI MASTER RACE.

SO FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE MBTI AND THEIR PERSONALITY TYPE HERE ARE YOUR OPTIONS

EXTROVERT VS INTROVERT

SENSING VS. INTUITIVE FEELING PLEASE NOTE THAT INTUITIVE FEELING IS DENOTED WITH AN N

I PREFER TO THINK OF THIS AS CONCRETE VS ABSTRACT BECAUSE INTUITIVE FEELING IS A DUMB WAY OF THINKING ABOUT IT

THINKING VS FEELING

JUDGING VS PERCEIVING

IT CAN BE KIND OF DIFFICULT TO WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND EACH CONCEPT BECAUSE THEY ARE SIMILAR IN A LOT OF WAYS AND THERE ARE GAPS IN OUR UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT KIND OF PERSON YOU ARE SIMPLY BASED OFF OF YOUR MBTI GROUPING HOWEVER IT IS EXTREMELY GOOD AT FINDING WHAT KIND OF PERSON YOU ARE BEST ABLE TO GET ALONG WITH. THIS IS BECAUSE WHILE THE MBTI DOES NOT NECESSARILY LOOK AT HOW YOU REACT TO SITUATIONS WHICH IS 50% OF YOUR PERSONALITY IT DOES LOOK AT HOW YOU MAKE JUDGMENTS WHICH IS INTEGRAL TO PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS AND KNOWING YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE WILL IMPROVE YOUR RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS AROUND YOU EVEN IF IT DOES NOT FULLY DESCRIBE YOU PERSONALLY WHICH IS A COMMON COMPLAINT THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE WITH THE MBTI.

IF THE MBTI WERE ABLE TO CATEGORIZE YOU AS A PERSON IT WOULD BE FAR TOO LONG AND NOBODY WOULD EVER SIT THROUGH IT BECAUSE IT WOULD HAVE LIKE 20 LETTERS AND THOUSANDS OF POSSIBLE PERSONALITY TYPES WHICH IS ACTUALLY EXTREMELY DUMB. THIS SITE WILL GIVE YOU A ROUGH GUIDE TO EACH PERSONALITY TYPE EVEN THOUGH IT CAN BE SLIGHTLY INACCURATE AND DOES NOT EXACTLY ACCOUNT FOR INTERNAL VARIATION WITHIN THE TYPES.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT NO PERSONALITY TEST IS GOING TO ACCURATELY JUDGE YOUR M-B PERSONALITY TYPE AND THE ONLY BENEFIT OF TAKING A TEST IS THAT IT DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO UNDERSTAND WHAT EACH LETTER MEANS BUT YOU CAN FIND THAT EASILY BY CLICKING THIS. REMEMBER THAT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE MBTI THAT YOU HAVE DETERMINED FOR YOURSELF IT IS PROBABLY NOT THE RIGHT ONE AS THE MBTI IS DESIGNED TO GIVE YOU THE PERSONALITY TYPE THAT YOU LIKE THE MOST

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO ORGANIZE YOUR THOUGHTS WHILE TYPING IN ALL CAPS WITH NO PUNCTUATION AND I HOPE THAT I AM GETTING MY POINT ACROSS EFFECTIVELY THROUGH THIS METHOD BECAUSE IF NOT I WILL STOP RIGHT AWAY

I WILL START I AM AN ENFJ WHICH MEANS THAT I AM AN OPTIMISTIC AND MOTIVATED LEADER WHO IS MORE PEOPLE-ORIENTED THAN MOST OPTIMISTIC AND MOTIVATED LEADERS. I AM A TOTAL BADASS NOT BECAUSE OF ANYTHING I DO PERSONALLY BUT BECAUSE I AM EXTREMELY GOOD AT NETWORKING AND MANAGING PEOPLE EFFECTIVELY. IF YOU PISS ME OFF IT'S NOT JUST ME YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT'S MY FRIENDS AND MY SUBORDINATES AND MY CONNECTIONS AND EVEN YOUR PARENTS

BUT IT'S OKAY BECAUSE I DON'T GET PISSED OFF VERY EASILY AT ALL.

THIS IS ALSO WHY I LIKE POKEMON AND LOL SO MUCH BECAUSE I LIKE THE POWER FANTASY OF CONTROLLING OR DIRECTING A CHARIZARD OR OTHER SIMILARLY BADASS CREATURE AND NOT NECESSARILY BEING A FIRE BREATHING DRAGON OR SWORD WIELDING KNIGHT MYSELF. THIS IS ALSO WHY I PLAY MAGES OR TELEKINETICS WHEN I GET THE CHANCE BECAUSE THE DANGER FROM A MAGE OR TELEKINETIC IS NOT FROM THEM DIRECTLY BUT FROM THINGS THEY DIRECT OR CONTROL.

SO ANYWAY WHAT IS YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE AND WHAT DO YOU THINK IT SAYS ABOUT YOU? IF YOU ARE FEELING UNSURE ABOUT YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE I CAN CRAFT A FOUR QUESTION QUIZ THAT SHOULD HELP YOU UNDERSTAND THE LETTERS MUCH BETTER AND WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT YOU AND YOUR PERSONALITY
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

The caps... They hurt...

I've taken the Meyers-Briggs a bajillion times, both the "official" one (in high school/college) and the unofficial ones online. I had a professor in psychology who insisted that the test was not worth the paper it's printed on, and I've found that a lot of people in the psychology field seem to feel that way, as well. That said, it's INCREDIBLY popular in business settings, and I know my boyfriend actually had to take the official one as part of a leadership seminar in his job. The more I learn about business and psychology, the more I realize that the two have very different ideals for the assessment and understanding of the human mind and interpersonal relationships... but I digress.

I'm an INTP. The test is pretty damn certain of that. The description is pretty dead-on when it comes to how I process the world. Basically, if you read the INTP description, you understand me and how I tick a little bit better. In that sense, I'd say the result is worth more than the paper it's printed on... but don't tell my professor I said that.

:EDIT: Almost forgot to mention... I tend to be fairly clear in terms of my preferences (clear I over E, clear P over J, though T and F can be fairly close) but my intuitive meter is usually 100% or close to 100%. I am a hardcore intuitive, apparently. Sensing? Observing? PSSSSSSSSSSSH!

Last edited by Marion Ette; 10-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I like the MBTI as I said because it is good at predicting the nature and success of relationships both personal and professional. It's an amazing management tool that can help you work to your full potential.

The reason it's frowned upon in hard psych is because it has gaps and isn't much use as a predictive tool. It also doesn't account for too much individual variation despite having only 16 types. Not to mention that people misunderstand its intent and try to make personality "quizzes", as if somehow you didn't already know your personality type and needed to be told what it was. Nobody can tell you what your personality is. No one else. No one else (can read the words on YOUR LIPS)

MBTI is rubbish, but it's the best thing available for personality research because it hits the sweet spot between confusingly specific and meaninglessly vague.

Also NEEDS MORE CAPS BECAUSE CAPS MAKE EVERYTHING FEEL MORE PASSIONATE AND INTENSE YEAH
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
dirkac
uhhhhh

Ah, the old IMBT.

I've taken it like once every month, and, as practically always, I am INTP. There were a few exceptions where I turned up as ISTP, but eh.

While I find it somewhat intriguing as it practically perfectly fits my bill (as well of those of a few others I know), I can definitely see as to why it might be unpopular, as the fact that it functions as a catch-all just really undermines, ignores, or does not adcsess more personalized areas.

I really don't have much more to say about the subject without sounding like a broken record player. Beep boop.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

ENFP REPRESENT!

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Took this test many times already (both official and non-official), got ISTP all the time. It's also pretty dead-on on what I'm like. (Fun fact: I'm taking up engineering.)

But hey, since this is a thread about personality tests why limit ourselves to the MBTI? I'm sure there are many more tests similar to this that we can try on like the Enneagram or something.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

My results usually goes towards ISFJ, but sometimes depending on the test I could get INFJ.

As for Enneagram types, I'm either at 9w1 (Peacemaker/Reformer) or 6w5 (Loyalist/Investigator).

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I tend to get classified as INFJ when I take tests, but generally when they give the percentage at the end the difference between Perceiving and Judging is, like, within 2%. So I'm frequently within spitting distance of INFP.

*Reads description of INFJ*
Oh wow yeah this fits me to a T. Weird.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 10-02-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

I try not to take personality testing too seriously, but gosh if I don't think it's a lot of fun.

I'm consistently classified as an INFJ, which I'm quite content with. (: The "friendships" description on that page...

すれ違うだけの距離が歯痒い 手を伸ばせば届きそうなのに
意味があるのなら教えて欲しい 締め付ける胸の痛みの
「イツダッテ ウソミタイ アイシタテ ノ ユメミライ」

f i z z y b u b b l e s | w i l d f u t u r e

Quote:
morningstar - Today at 12:46 PM
her whole being is Arashi

AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
One of my friends is into psychology, thus I've been force-fed MB tests via her Tumblr. I'm ISTJ.

According to a thing I saw that means I'm Snape. Which sucks because I hate Snape but then I started thinking about it and realised that I'd probably act the way he acts. Arse.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Sneaze
Mrow?

I almost always fall into the INTP group, though on a few occasions I get classified as INTJ. Really not a surprise on either front. Though admittedly whenever I'm told that combined the two groups only make up about 5% of the total population I'm a little perplexed as compared to some of the more standard numbers.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
One of my friends is into psychology, thus I've been force-fed MB tests via her Tumblr. I'm ISTJ.

According to a thing I saw that means I'm Snape. Which sucks because I hate Snape but then I started thinking about it and realised that I'd probably act the way he acts. Arse.
I've seen those stupid things that assign personality types to characters in a series. One said I was Voldemort, and the other said I was Hermoine Granger. Um... is it just me, or are those two VERY different characters? Then again, I guess I am part horrifically evil psychopath and part adorable nerd girl. Maybe that's what being an INTP is all about~
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I've taken these things a couple times in the past and am always on the E/I, S/N and T/F borderlines. The only strong leaning one way or another is that I always come up heavily P over J.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
I've tested INFJ four out of the five times I've taken the test, which was pretty interesting to me. I think I read somewhere that not many men test that way? But it could have just been fab internet hearsay.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Every time I've taken a personality test, from what I can remember, I've always been INTJ. Generally the I and the J are the strongest leaning while the N is the weakest. I've never taken them too seriously though.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Apparently I'm an ISTJ. While not all of it is 100% accurate of me for the most part it describes me fairly well
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Guys the tests are for chumps. Literally, your personality type is if you click on the link and decide what sounds best for you.

In general, your chosen letter should be your first instinct.

1. E vs. I. When you are feeling down, what cheers you up more, a good book or a good friend? Many people confuse introversion with shyness, but in fact it is merely the level of social contact that makes you comfortable.

2. S vs. N. This one is really difficult, but it can be boiled down to a preference for concrete thinking or abstract thinking. Would you rather consider the problem by itself or try to compare it to something with real-world applications?

3. T vs. F. Do you consider yourself to be more practical or more caring?

4. J vs. P. When you think about your day, do you prefer to take things as they come, on the fly, keeping everything free and open and just doing things as they come along? Or do you set personal plans and schedules?

As an E, I draw energy from other people and prefer the company of others to being alone. This is NOT to say that I am not shy, that I have lots of friends, or even that I spend more time with people than alone.

As an N, I like to consider problems in the general case and adapt them to my situation. This is NOT to say that I don't sometimes have to think of problems in specific physical ways or that I do not like word problems.

As an F, I am very people-oriented and want to make everyone happy, or at least happy with me and appreciating the effort I do. This is NOT to say that I am impractical or inefficient.

As a J, I am constantly making plans and setting schedules. This is NOT to say that I am an extremely organized person, or that I am somehow averse to change - I do adapt to new situations and circumstances on the fly, but I make new schedules based on this information.

This all combines to form a personality of a "charismatic leader."

Quizzes can be misleading or difficult, for S's and T's who interpret questions literally AND for N's and F's who try to consider all the possibilities before answering.

"You find it easy to introduce yourself to other people."

What does that mean? Based on the rest of your personality, this could either mean that you enjoy meeting new people, which isn't the case for all extroverts. In addition, all people, even introverts, need social contact. Not only that, but the question is worded to request the difficulty of forming new relationships, which can cause NF types like myself to think back to times when it was difficult to kick off a relationship with a stranger - like just this morning. Even though that kind of thing isn't very logical at all!

So it's just a big mess to try to take a test. You should know best of all what kind of person you are.

Also where are all my extroverts at ;_; pls I can't be the only one
Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Posting on a site full of people who prefer being online
>Expecting more extroverts

Shuckle pls

>Roto has the same MB type as me

Huh.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #19
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I'm ISTP, big surprise guys I only value thinking at like 6%

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
Heather
Naga's Voice

INTP, INT being Moderate preferences with P being slight.

Specific statistics:
I: 56% preference
N: 38% preference
T: 25% preference
P: 11% preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #21
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Guys the tests are for chumps. Literally, your personality type is if you click on the link and decide what sounds best for you.
That's not entirely correct. The entire point of Myers-Brigg is determining the various "vectors" of your personality and where your energy goes; there's a difference between Fe (external Feeling) and Fi (internal Feeling), so the "F" isn't going to be the same in every personality type. While you can "pick and choose" the letters to your liking, that's a very surface level way of looking at things. At least, this is how I understand it.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
Emi

People are inherently biased and often incapable of objectively judging themselves. Hence tests try to rule personal bias out...somewhat.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo77
I remember taking the test a while back and I turned out to be INTJ, not sure if I've changed since then but I've always found it to be pretty accurate.
Apollo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
I'm ISTP, big surprise guys I only value thinking at like 6%
Wow. Was not expecting it to be that high. :p
Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I almost always get a different thing every time, and this time's no exception: I am pretty sure this is the first time in my life the test's ever told me I am an INFP.

Two of the scores, historically, are always really close to the center and are prone to fluctuations. I believe it's the bottom two (the T/F pair and the J/P pair), but it could also be the center two. All I can really offer is, my I/E score tends to always be "strongly" I (it's not that strong, but it's by far my strongest score), and yet that's the one that often surprises friends most of all.

But yeah. I've taken all sorts of personality tests in life (including the hardcore version of the Myers-Briggs) and all of the Myers-Briggs ones have been pretty weak for me personally.

I've never seen the fifth axis which is present in this test -- Assertive vs. Turbulent -- but I can say that that score is probably more a product of my life right now and would likely be very different were you to look several years in either direction.

Part of the problem I have with the Myers-Briggs is just how much it's like a horoscope. Many of the personality articles will sound like they 80% describe you, and none of them -- not even the one assigned to you -- will feel like they're better than a 90% match. You'll find the article saying things about you and you're like, "But that's not what I'm like. " Or you'll find other people's articles saying things about them and you're like, "Hey! I do that! How come my article didn't mention that? "

Another problem I have with them is that they try to categorize the vast spectrum of personalities on this planet into just sixteen archetypes. It's pretty nuts. "Either you're an introvert or an extrovert!" is a horrible personality assessment for people like myself who:
  • are a lot more extroverted around friends, in-groups, or family
  • are extremely introverted around strangers
  • tend to be more extroverted online
  • tend to be more introverted in the flesh
My introversion or extroversion depends on a variety of factors. You can't just pigeonhole me as "always a strong introvert" or "always a weak extrovert" or some such. It just doesn't work that way. Copy and paste this sentiment for the other axes as well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc