UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The Myth of No WiFi Co-Op

I was investigating whether ORAS supported WiFi co-op challenges of Battle Tower-like facilities when I came across one thread after another which purports a very strange myth: WiFi co-op wasn't a thing in HGSS. While I can't speak for other Gen 4 or Gen 5 titles, I can definitely speak for HGSS having WiFi co-op support.

But first, let's look at some of the threads I'm talking about:Now, take a closer look at that second one. What does MFN point to? Why, Bulbapedia! :o So I decided to take a closer look. According to the Bulbapedia article, players only had two options that bear similarity to a WiFi co-op mode:
  1. you could do a Multi Battle with an AI partner; you supply two, he supplies two, and you guys do a Doubles battle against the Battle Tower opponents
  2. you could do a WiFi Battle where you downloaded human trainers' teams from a server and then played against AI-controlled versions of those teams instead of playing the pre-programmed Battle Tower teams
In other words, Bulbapedia's forgotten the truth too. And because the young lend Bulbapedia the weight of God, they point to Bulbapedia's article on Gen IV WiFi capabilities and declare, "YOU'RE WRONG! " to anyone who claims they could do WiFi co-op in Gen IV.

Except you could do WiFi co-op in Gen IV.

And I know this for a fact not just because I remember it intimately well ...

... but because I have the posts here to prove it.
  • June 22, 2010: I write about having undertaken the co-op challenge with Morgoth. Morg lives on the East Coast. I live in Indiana. We were a thousand miles apart and had no problem challenging the Battle Tower together.
  • June 22, 2010: I write about Morg and I taking on a second challenge of the Battle Tower. WiFi didn't cut out on us this time but we still lost at the 21st trainer. >_< :')
  • February 28, 2014: I reference the WiFi co-op battles once more
  • February 28, 2014: So does Morg.
Now, it goes beyond UPN for me, but of course the only evidence I have here on UPN is all UPN-related. I didn't just do WiFi co-op battles with Morgoth: I also did them with a friend of mine from home. He was living in Oregon at the time, me in Indiana, and again we had no trouble whatsoever tag teaming over WiFi. I would call him via cell phone (since the DS's microphone sucks bad) and we'd communicate over telephone while we input our commands on our respective DSes.

So yeah. If you find anyone arguing that Gen IV didn't have WiFi co-op support (specifically the ability to join a friend over WiFi for a Battle Frontier challenge), please correct them. I don't know when or why this myth stated that HGSS never supported that feature, but a) it totally did and b) it was super awesome. Easily my No.1 disappointment with XY was the failure to bring back WiFi co-op for the Battle Frontier Maison. Will easily be my No.1 disappointment with Z if they continue to omit this feature from the games. (Because fucking a it's not back in ORAS either, I've learned! >_<)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Our Battle Tower adventures were so much fun. Talon had Piloswine and Starmie, while I used Skorpi and Vespiquen. We could take on pretty much any team. We did have to strategize in the AIM chat, although that might have been due to noisy environments and not voice problems. I miss those adventures. ;_;

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
Well if it's such a big deal why doesn't someone just change what it says on Bulbapedia? :/

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The point isn't that Bulbapedia is flawed. It's that idiots are arguing that people with anecdotal evidence in hand are wrong, based on a second-hand account.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
People believe what they want to believe, regardless of what evidence there is. That's pretty much the way it's always been, has it not?

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON