UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

View Poll Results: How does Gen 6 compare with previous generations?
It's the best generation yet! 2 6.67%
It's the second best generation. 5 16.67%
It's the third best generation. 13 43.33%
It's the fourth best generation. 7 23.33%
It's the fifth best generation. 1 3.33%
It's the worst generation. 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How does Gen 6 compare? (2 years later)

Back when XY launched, I created a poll in which I asked you to rank Generation 6 relative to the other generations. Then ten months later, I created a follow-up poll to see how the community felt after the release-season hype had had time to die down. Today, I'm curious to see how the community feels about XY nearly two full years after their worldwide release. Try to respond to this new poll first. Then afterwards you can go back and see how you and your peers voted in the old polls.

As with the first poll, the rules are pretty straightforward.

1. Don't vote if you haven't played Pokémon X or Pokémon Y for at least 10 hours.

2. Pick the option which best describes your current feelings about Gen 6. (By "Gen 6" I mean Pokémon XY, not Pokémon ORAS.)

3. Vote without reading what others have had to say. Please refrain from reading any of the posts in this thread before voting. (That includes my very own post which immediately follows this one!) Please refrain from re-reading older posts before voting, including your own. I'd like your vote to be as unbiased by others' opinions (including your past self) as possible. Thanks.

4. I'm going to set this particular poll to close on December 21, 2014. This provides ample time to get your votes in. At the same time, it ensures (or strives to ensure) minimal bias from the upcoming release of Pokémon Z.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

(Read this post only AFTER you vote.)

Spoiler: show
Last year, over 50% of our community voted that Generation 6 was their third favorite generation of all time. Nearly 20% voted it their second favorite and one person voted it their No.1 favorite generation of all time. Collectively, only 23.07% of the community voted XY in the bottom half; that isn't a small number, 1 in 4, but it also shows that three times as many UPNers in 2014 ranked XY in their top half of all Pokémon generations.

The attitude on sites like Bulbagarden or Smogon in 2014 was less kind -- or at least, so it seemed to me. I kept seeing people decrying XY as the "worst [main series] Pokémon games of all time," something which reeked of hyperbole yet strongly conveyed many players' dissatisfaction with one or more elements of the game.

In the 10 months later poll, I offered my own defense of XY. You can read it there if you like. What I wrote then, I still feel now. XY is a personal treasure. It remains a magical region for me, and a wonderful gaming experience. Back then, I said that XY was my 2nd favorite generation of all time. Today, I feel the same way. I would rank XY second only to the nostalgia-driven love I feel and will probably always feel for Generation 1. They may not be the best games in every respect -- BW2 has the best Story Mode, the best rival, and the most mature content suiting an adult fanbase, for example -- but overall as a "full package" I'd say that XY is second best.

It's been almost one year since the last poll, and during the past year I haven't seen the hatred for XY go away. In the months before and immediately after the last poll, I feel like the animosity towards XY rose to just shy of where it is today, and that for the bulk of the past year the hate level has just sort of plateaued there. In other words, XY isn't gaining many new haters ... but it isn't losing any either.

Depending on the community you visit, it seems like as many as 50% of the members believe Gen 6 is the worst generation of all time. Chief amongst their criticisms are:
  • the lack of postgame content
    • they wanted the Looker chapter to be longer
    • they wanted more content like the Looker chapter
    • they wanted there to be a full, proper Battle Frontier
    • they wanted WiFi co-op, especially for the Battle Maison
  • the new creatures
    • they're disappointed in the small size of Kalos's additions to the National Dex
    • they dislike some or many of the Kalos creatures' designs
  • they dislike the region itself
    • they find Kalos to be boring as a region
    • they dislike how the various landmarks (e.g. gyms) are arranged
      • and how it impacts Story Mode
      • and how it impacts the post-game experience
  • they found the story boring or otherwise wanting
  • they found the experience much less memorable than prior outings in the Pokémon world
All of these criticisms, I can understand why they would make someone dislike XY. And some of them, I can even agree with. For example, I agree with complaints about XY's lack of a Battle Frontier and lack of WiFi co-op. But many of these complaints I just can't agree with, not at all. For example, attacks against Kalos the region itself just ... they just blow my mind in how wrong they are! ^^; (To me. Everyone's free to their own opinion, I'm not denying that.) Kalos is such a gorgeous region, one that simultaneously feels real and fantastical. It brings real-life French architecture and history into the Pokémon universe in a way no other game before it has done so well. The story may not have been the greatest but it also possessed some of the greatest or most memorable moments in the history of the franchise. The music was great. The graphics were great. For me, XY was just a great game. It doesn't just make me sad, it frustrates me to see so many people -- as I perceive it -- perpetuating this lie that XY is "the worst Pokémon game ever." It reeks of teenage and adolescent Pokémon fans circlejerking one another about how XY didn't live up to their private expectations. And that's fine if it didn't, and they want to express that! But it's just ... URGHGHGHGH! It drives me crazy seeing so many "stupid kids" hating on XY when I haven't wanted to replay a region's story mode this badly since Gen 1.

Sorry. Got off on a personal tangent there. The point is, it seems like the hate train that was building for XY in 2014 gained steam as we headed on into the new year and then coasted throughout most of 2015 at the same velocity it entered with. Fans haven't gotten any bitterer about XY but they haven't let go their complaints either.

So what about you, UPN? How do you feel about XY now that it's been almost two years since the games' release? Do you still feel like XY is distilled magic in game pak form? Or has the enchantment worn off and you find yourself as disappointed in XY as many of the fandom I've described? You tell me.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Heather
Naga's Voice

I voted fourth best. I've replayed a few older games now, and I can say that 5, 3, and 4 take my top half now. What sets Gen 6 in the bottom now is that X and Y were, admittedly, FAR too easy. While I admit I basically didn't put the game down for much of the two days it took me to beat it, the fact remains that I did very little grinding, and yet never had any truly challenging battles. By comparison, the top 3 I listed all have at least one GL or some such that is a That One Boss. I also found the friend group think kinda annoying, and some of the things done to keep you from advancing were patently ridiculous (read: The guy that kept you from going west of Camphrier without going to Shabboneau Castle. If the Snorlax is the real roadblock, don't tell me I can't go west because I didn't go into a castle in a random Podunk town that's literally the size of Vaniville). The story was also...I don't even. Team Flare was just weird, and the Grunts suffered less AquaMag Antivariety Syndrome than the Admins. Lysandre was too obviously evil, and damn if I didn't want more David Tennant-I mean Looker. Why did that have to end with Looker leaving? He left you in charge-the game should have run with that! While the region was interesting and had a good diversity of types (as well as OPTIONS for all of the types, especially the ones the Gyms/E4 used), 5, 3, and 4 take actual effort to complete (a bit too much in 4's case. HOLY E4 LEVEL SPIKE, BATMAN!) and have a good story to them (though B/W 2 had a bit of a slip with Hugh, Colress more than makes up for it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
I think X and Y was great in it's own way. To be brutally honest, very few Pokemon games actually have good single player content in my opinion (Exceptions: HGSS and BW2). The story mode has never been much of an appeal to me. So, (and maybe it isn't fair to view it this way) I don't usually take that part of the game into account much. But what X and Y DID provide was a really great social experience. Being able to instantly connect with others, having tons of options once you do, and more in-game connectedness were all taken to a whole new level. Breeding and raising competitive level Pokemon has been made extremely easy, so that anyone and everyone who wants to has a shot at playing and winning against others online. There have also been a few nice touchups to the battling system, and battles are now even more exciting to watch with 3D models and effects. Not to mention, Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company are totally onboard with making competitive battles and the like real, so the connection to things like PGL competitions and the like have been really nice.

Basically my point is: If you look past the main story, (where almost all of the complaints seem to be at) as I've grown used to doing in Pokemon games, X and Y actually adds a lot to the series, and I don't think it deserves to be shunned as much as it is. I voted it third best, under the two games I mentioned above.

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I don't know if I voted last time or what I voted if I had. This time I voted second best. The only reason I voted this way is because HGSS exists. If we're talking main games, no remakes, then Gen 6 would be my favorite.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 AM   #6
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I put it at third-best, myself. Mainly by a process of elimination; I liked BW and DPPt more, but I liked XY more than any of the other generations. I feel like it had a lot of things that could have been awesomely expanded upon (Lysandre's reputation as a "good guy", the story of the Tower of Mastery, the history of the castle, etc), but what it did do was enough to make me hunger for more. It's just such a beautiful region (and, honestly, the fact they managed to put in as much as they did while switching the series over to full 3D battles is... Stunning). But tbh at the end of the day it mainly comes down to story since imop things like difficulty are entirely dependent on the team you use and whatever other self-imposed challenges you take on. And I found the story great. The majesty of Xerneas and Yvetal and how their powers can both be used for good or ill, the tragedy of Kalos's past, the jarring dissonance between the well-intentioned-extremist Lysandre and his minions who cared for nothing but self-preservation and, you know, the fact that it went past having a rival and featured an entire entourage of "recurring characters". Because I mean, anyone who's watched a series of anything can attest to this, characters who show up again and again and whose development you can track actively are legions more appealing than one-off characters (although we shed a tear for the one-offs who had so much potential if only they would have come back). Also lel the haters I ship everything.

EDIT: Having gone back to see how I voted in the past, apparently I voted second-best while the hype was stronk and didn't manage to vote in the 10-months later version. Huh.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 AM   #7
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Holy fuck it's been two years since XY?

My back...
Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Holy fuck it's been two years since XY?

My back...
Same.

Anyways, I found XY to be a painful drag on a second playthrough. Couldn't even finish it again because it was just so boring. The story, characters, music, places, all so unmemorable. The music for routes were actually annoying too. The Pokemon were mostly fine though, and so were the new/updated mechanics.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I voted it as 4th best simply because I enjoyed Gen 3-5 more, with 1 probably being my least favorite once nostalgia is removed as a factor and Gen 2 being about on par with my enjoyment of 6th excluding the remakes of Soul Silver and Heart Gold which still stand as my favorite pokemon games of all time.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:07 AM   #10
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I voted it first (and I'm apparently consistent about it) because I genuinely can't play any of the games before Black and White now, and I can't stand playing B & W because the battle look really ugly now with all the sprite stretching and stuff.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

With X and Y, there's a bunch of tiny stuff that you get used to that makes it hard to go back to any other gen. This includes: Different type charts, no item in bag limit, and being able to MOVE DIAGONALLY

However, as a game itself, Gen VI did fall a bit short to things like Unova where there was an unprecedented amount of postgame and obviously quite a bit more Pokemon.

I really did like Gen VI, don't get me wrong, I just feel like other gens had stronger storylines and postgame content. (plus Gen IV was my first so *shrugs*)

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Inkabyss
Pokemon Trainer

Fourth gen takes my top spot personally. HGSS were great, and the physical/special split is far far far too important to not shoot it to the top. Also I think a lot of the pokemon introduced in DPPt were well designed.

Second gen is my second spot, it has the best designs in my opinion for pokemon, and it also introduced some amazing mechanics.

So, XY takes the third spot. Most of its mechanics weren't revolutionary (except for fairy type and mega evolution obvs, though mega evolution doesn't doo all that much more than simply adding evolutions, it's just a bit more flexible.) Most of its updates were more convenience and usability stuff or secondary stuff that seemed a little gimmicky (like flying press being a dual type move.) However, it did do a LOT of new stuff in that regard. I do agree that the story was a little weak for XY and that most of the enjoyment came from the new features, not the content itself.

lvl 5
The Squad
Inkabyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #13
dirkac
uhhhhh

Third best.
Well, somewhat. It depends on if you factor Side-Games such as Ranger, PMD, Rumble, or Trozei in.

If they are factored in, it's third best, barely behind Gen IV with Gen III at the peak.

Without factoring those in, however, and looking only at the Main Games, it's rather closely edged out by Gen III instead, with Gen IV taking the top spot.

tl;dr DPPt are my favourite Games but Gen III Spin-Offs are combined better. Gen VI is somewhere behind
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I voted then realized you meant not ORAS. Oops.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON