UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Defensive Typings

So with fairy type dark and ghost is no longer weaknessless. Is there anyone with enough free time to figure out what the best defensive typings (even in theory) are now?

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

dark/ghost is still probably going to be one of the best.

I like poison/dark now though. poison/dark is solid.

Also, eelektross is a stupid git with electric type and levitate.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

From a practical point of view, Fairy/Steel is absolutely amazing. It's weak to Fire and Ground, which are somewhat common in today's meta, but with proper support, it's a great wall.

Also Electric/Steel and Water/Steel are still insane.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Still Grass-Steel or Electric-Water. Normal-Ghost is funny though
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Selena
Aroma Lady

Water/electric with levitate. I'm looking at you Rotom.

The one without weaknesses is of course Eelectross so he needs a mention, but he's a more offensive mon. But I have to agree with Jeri on Steel/Fairy for a great defensive typing.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
I'm looking at you Rotom.
Hello!

Defensive typings are not just dependent on how few weaknesses it has, it also matters how many resistances it has. Hence why Steel/Most types is usually better than Elektross.
Squad Summary

Old 02-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
Steel/Psychic used to be good before the Steel nerf. You're better off using pure Steel now. *swapped Bronzong with Registeel for mono type team* Bug/Steel is also good.

I think Steel is currently the strongest type in the metagame with the fact that it now has several (non-broken) Megas and Aegislash and a more popular STAB combined with its usual resistances and defenses.

Steel #1
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Depends what you mean by best defensive typing. Fewest weaknesses? Least likely to see it's weaknesses being used in OU? Easiest to cover it's weaknesses in OU? I could carry on, but my point is there are half a dozen or more metrics by which one could judge "best defensive typing".
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Yeah, I don't think there is a best defensive typing out there, though Fairy rates at the top.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Normal-Ice for best defensive type...

NOT
Squad Summary

Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Hey, normal isn't a bad defensive type, silly. I think you meant to say 'Rock/Ice'.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dark/Ghost is still good: it's just that in Spiritomb's case it's not good enough. If Game Freak feels sorry for the keystone Pokémon, then they'll fix this. If not, then they won't. Sableye is still doing fine in OU but that's largely because of Prankster -- an introduced weakness to Fairy means nothing when you were already OHKO fodder for so many Pokémon anyway. Only thanks to Prankster does Sableye really have a chance to operate. Before Prankster, Sableye wasn't even touching UU, never mind OU. So if Spiritomb is similarly blessed with a minor upgrade that can make all the difference without being broken, he'll be fine and you'll see Dark/Ghost praised for the defensive typing it is. ("Wow! Only one weakness! ") But yeah, it is kind of a shame that the only combination of types in the game that boasted zero weaknesses lost its raison d'ętre this go around. ^^;

Similarly, Poison/Dark was already good; but Jeri is right that it's become even more attractive nowadays since fans have noticed that it not only features an anti-Fairy STAB typing but that it also takes only 1x damage from Fairy. Thus, it's perceived as an "upgraded" type combo since even though it didn't really gain anything going from Gen 5 to Gen 6, fans perceive it as having gone from "only weak to one type out of seventeen" to "only weak to one type out of eighteen." It's also helped by the comparisons with poor Dark/Ghost. ("Just as good as yesteryear's über defensive type combo! ") I was imagining running a Drapion the other day. Not sure if I would want to in the end, but it's certainly a good Pokémon with a good typing.

Water/Electric's another good one, and it's true that Rotom-Wash is particularly annoying with his dumb Levitate ability, rendering him only weak to Grass-type attacks. That stated, I feel like we're witnessing the end of the era of stamping Earthquake onto every physical Pokémon that can learn it (relevant to proving that the above type combo isn't really that affected by its singular weakness to Ground) and at the same time I feel like offensive Grass has never been more popular in professional play (relevant to proving that Rotom-W isn't exactly in the clear himself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Hey, normal isn't a bad defensive type, silly. I think you meant to say 'Rock/Ice'.
I really, really, really don't understand why they didn't give that thing "Ability: Rainbow Aura," "Effect: when this Pokémon is hit by Fighting-type attacks, it instead takes no damage and its Defense increases by one level."

Like ... seriously. What were they thinking? Even a 4x weakness to Rock doesn't ruin Talonflame's or Charizard Y's party. But a 4x weakness to Fighting? It's like a death sentence. It's almost as bad as having a 4x weakness to Psychic in Gen 1 ... okay, no, nothing is as bad as that , but it's still pretty bad! Aurorus essentially equates 1) a free switch-in for Fighting types and 2) a subsequent free turn for them to Bulk Up while you get Aurorus the hell out of there.

You know what would've also worked? If Freeze Dry, neat though it is, would've been super effective against Fighting types instead of Water types. Send Aurorus out and just spam that sucker. No one would dare switch in their Fighting type then. But as it stands, Assault Vest Conkeldurr just shrugs it off like it's nothing. Sad.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-12-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, Rock/Ice does also come with a 4x weakness to steel, and those two types are the most common priority moves in the metagame, but I more meant in general than relating to the metagame: I'd say the only typing as defensively bad as Rock/Ice is Bug/Grass.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #14
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Don't forget Grass/Psychic and Grass/Ice as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Don't forget Grass/Psychic and Grass/Ice as well.
Grass/Psychic is actually good now that Signal Beam isn't everywhere anymore. On a scale of Everything to A Great Deal of Things, Most of Whom Do Not Run It Anyway, the move ranks a solid Ampharos/Bug Types.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON