UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #4651
deoxys
Fog Badge

Alright. I'm going to give Kanon a try then and then we'll see about Psycho-Pass. I'm also thinking I may just continue Sakurasou anyway and interchange between it and Kanon due to the fact that I liked the first episode enough to want to continue and maybe watch it once a week to discuss it with you guys, too.

I signed up for the site like you suggested. I tried to remember everything I've seen, and I can't help but feel like I'm missing some things because this list doesn't feel complete, but oh well, here you go:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/hiero_
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #4652
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Guys, help

I need a new anime to watch

should I watch

a. Neon Genesis Evangelion
b. Lucky Star
c. Kanon
d. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (already saw first episode)
e. Other

plshelpthx
I'll attempt at giving advice. I'm not sure if you're a more action oriented guy or not though.

a. I've never watched this myself, but you might end up liking this.

b. This show is a mixed bag. I honestly really doubt you'd like Lucky Star though. Most people find this show ridiculously boring.

c. I myself love this show to death, but I don't know your tastes. This might bore you. If it doesn't bore you, then be prepared for one of the best shows out there.

d. Beats me.

e. You could give SAO author's other work, Accel World a shot. I personally didn't like it, but you'll have that under your belt. Admittedly, it has less plotholes than SAO.

My mind's drawing blanks for anything else. If I think of anything else, I'll edit it in.

Pokemon (manga)
I'm done with the Johto section of this. My thoughts really haven't changed since last post. I really wish I knew what happened to the writer for this. I know Kanto had its fair share of plotholes and flaws, but Johto went far beyond that. Not only that, but it took away the best feature, the battles. I loved Kanto because all of the Pokemon battles had so much strategy and tricks involved, but it's like Johto took all of that away. If I were to rate both of them, I'd rate Kanto a 7.5 and Johto a 4. The quality went down that much.

Also, some pictures in Danbooru is what made me think Ruby might be badass. This, this, and this is basically why.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 12-23-2012 at 03:49 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #4653
deoxys
Fog Badge

See, I can really just sit down and watch just about anything so long as the story is captivating, action, slice of life, whatever. Of course I enjoy the occasional mind numbing, terribly written shonen or fighting show, but the only reason I still read something like Naruto is because I started ten years ago and became so fucking invested in it that now I need to see how it plays out in the end, you know?

Death Note is probably my favorite anime still to this day. Didn't like the final few episodes so much and the show's direction at the end, but everything else was just brilliant. If that's anything to work with. I don't know, I will seriously watch anything, ridiculous/serious/action/adventure/etc, as long as it usually can meet one of the following requirements usually: a. Endearing characters b. Good character development (not necessarily likable characters, but yeah) c. Good pacing/Well written and thought out plot d. Original idea, well put in motion
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #4654
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Guys, help

I need a new anime to watch

should I watch

a. Neon Genesis Evangelion
b. Lucky Star
c. Kanon
d. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (already saw first episode)
e. Other

plshelpthx
Of these I've only seen Kanon and quite enjoyed it, so I'll go with C. Can't really think of any other specific recommendations for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Pokemon (manga)
I'm done with the Johto section of this. My thoughts really haven't changed since last post. I really wish I knew what happened to the writer for this. I know Kanto had its fair share of plotholes and flaws, but Johto went far beyond that. Not only that, but it took away the best feature, the battles. I loved Kanto because all of the Pokemon battles had so much strategy and tricks involved, but it's like Johto took all of that away. If I were to rate both of them, I'd rate Kanto a 7.5 and Johto a [/b]4[/b]. The quality went down that much.

Also, some pictures in Danbooru is what made me think Ruby might be badass. This, this, and this is basically why.
It's funny you say something must have happened to the author, since as far as I know only the artist changed in Johto. XP (I prefer the original, personally.)

Also, that scene is kind of a big spoiler... I'll let you see for yourself though. ^^;
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #4655
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I really enjoyed Kaiji. I shared it with AK2 and he really enjoyed it. I shared it with Yuki and I don't think she enjoyed it that much. ^^; But if you're up for it, I would encourage you to check it out. Try and get Season 1 subbed by TheTriad if you can. Season 2, unfortunately, you'll have to settle for a hodgepodge of translations or just go with the full Nutbladder treatment as they were the only group to actually pick up the show. (For whatever bizarro reason, other groups would randomly sub an episode and then do no more.) They're not the greatest, Nutbladder, but at least they subbed it.
Talon87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #4656
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I can't imagine someone who isn't a lost cause otaku liking Lucky Star. It's so exotic/foreign to regular people, I'd imagine it would be as incompatible as a blind person enrolling in a sign language course.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #4657
McSweeney
Soul Badge

That's true. They call Seinfeld a show about nothing, but not even Seinfeld had the balls to make an entire episode about the proper way to eat food.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #4658
deoxys
Fog Badge

Seinfeld didn't have the balls to do a literal time loop repeating the same events from different angles for the span of eight episodes, either ^_^;
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #4659
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I signed up for the site like you suggested. I tried to remember everything I've seen, and I can't help but feel like I'm missing some things because this list doesn't feel complete, but oh well, here you go:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/hiero_
Saw this earlier today from my cell phone, but I just now remembered it and added you from the PC. In case it doesn't alert you to the friend request very noticeably (it didn't when Midgeorge friend requested me), click on Profile on the top left, then click on Friends, and then there should be a "tab" there that says "Pending Requests". My request should be there.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #4660
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
See, I can really just sit down and watch just about anything so long as the story is captivating, action, slice of life, whatever. Of course I enjoy the occasional mind numbing, terribly written shonen or fighting show, but the only reason I still read something like Naruto is because I started ten years ago and became so fucking invested in it that now I need to see how it plays out in the end, you know?

Death Note is probably my favorite anime still to this day. Didn't like the final few episodes so much and the show's direction at the end, but everything else was just brilliant. If that's anything to work with. I don't know, I will seriously watch anything, ridiculous/serious/action/adventure/etc, as long as it usually can meet one of the following requirements usually: a. Endearing characters b. Good character development (not necessarily likable characters, but yeah) c. Good pacing/Well written and thought out plot d. Original idea, well put in motion
I'm the same with Naruto, but I've been enjoying it recently. I'm glad (Spoilers for Naruto Chapter 614)
Spoiler: show
Kishi started killing off some characters. I mean yeah, I was sad that Neji died. Would I want him to be miraculously brought back to life? Hell no! I swear if everyone comes back to life from the Rinne Tensei I'm gonna be so pissed off.

Someone should watch Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. This is like my favourite anime and I need someone to talk about it with.

For characters and character development, you can't go wrong with Zetsuen no Tempest. Story-wise it gets confusing at points, but characters are perfect.

Also added you on MAL
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #4661
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
For characters and character development, you can't go wrong with Zetsuen no Tempest. Story-wise it gets confusing at points, but characters are perfect.
I've watched that since the beginning, but thought no one else was watching. x.x

My lord Episode 12!
The attempt to slaughter the main duo was the biggest shock-causer of the season, I think. Even more so than the one in Shinsekai Yori. My jaw hit the floor so hard I got a bruise.

At first I thought Tempest was going to be boring, but it's really made it to the top 5 of the Favorites of 2012 list.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #4662
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've completed one of the paths in Rewrite. This is indeed pretty different from Key's past stuff. There is a little of the usual romance, but it's more about a feud between two sides than anything. Actually I cared more about that than the relationship with the girl. She seemed more like a shounen companion than a girlfriend anyway. For the path itself, I liked it. Sadly it had some stupid stuff here and there, but it wasn't that bad.

Oh shit! OHHHHHHHHHH SHIT!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #4663
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Apparently I am going to be snowed in. -.- Was planning to leave Wednesday after lunch but I won't be able to leave until Friday or Sunday now. =\ So BTOOOM! 12, Sakurasou 11 and 12, and Shinsekai yori 13 will have to wait until later, amongst other things.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #4664
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I started a new (vintage 2012) manga called Spirit Circle. It's kind of the opposite of SAO...weak premise, but excellent elaboration. Kind of like The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, I might say.

It's incorrect to say my opinion changed at Chapter 5. I saw a page from Chapter 5, and that got me interested in it. But I could recognize how things changed so rapidly. What's more, I'm engaged enough to want to know more. So, good job Mizukami Satoshi-san.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #4665
Char
Banned

I would've done the whole best anime thing if I watched enough stuff this year.

Sakurasou is my favorite right now. Sword Art Online despite its flaws was quite enjoyable to watch for me, and I think the studio did a fantastic job with the material they were given to work with.

Toriko is pretty fun to watch whenever I have some extra time. I read the manga and can watch any episode of the anime without problems.

I watched Kanon (2006) recently. I really disliked their eyes in the beginning but I got used to it. It was okay to watch, nothing terribly special for me. I liked Shiori.

I watched Accel World too, not sure if I said anything about it. I like SAO more, but it was okay. It had its moments, but eh...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #4666
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I just saw BTOOOM! Episode 12 and ... wow. I have not seen a rush job this bad, this unintentionally hilariously bad, since I was in college. Or okay, fine, since No.6. This was terrible. So bad. So very, very bad. bbb? You have got to check this one out. You owe it to yourself to see it a) so you can say you saw all of SHITOOOM! and b) for a good laugh or two.

So apparently Himiko was Captain Seeker Bomb Defuser on Ryouta's BTOOOM! team. Because a blonde with huge squishy knockers decides to intercept a bunch of miniature helicopters with her pillowy mounds outstretched arms and this is enough to clue Ryouta in that Island Himiko = Video Game Himiko. And Doppel says Psycho-Pass is bad for this! lol Psycho-Pass is a fucking Adonis compared to this inconceivable deductive reasoning.

Apparently Ryouta only had his leg punctured instead of, y'know, blown off.

Apparently Taira was so overwhelmed by the stench of his shitty britches that he lost his marbles. So he's not Andou: he's a crazy Andou in soiled pants. {Madhouse} Feel sorry for him! We're begging you!

XFD @ rushed, forcibly inserted background information on Ryouta's parents' divorce and his feeling of being abandoned by his father.

Taira's death.

Ryouta's and Himiko's mourning for Taira.

Himiko willing to die for Ryouta.

Good God, this is awful.

Himiko's actions in the sex scene.

Ryouta's random conversation with a ghost in his head.

So ... Himiko just lies there? Doesn't think it's the least bit weird that Ryouta is doing nothing for like two straight minutes? Doesn't open her eyes to see his head twisted to the right, facing the empty room?

The way she reacts when he offers to take it steady instead of rushing things? BURSTS INTO TEARS OF JOY AND EMBRACES HIM! Good lord.

XF, XF, XFD at that "Pwease? " wishful thinking ending. (Wishful thinking on Madhouse's part.) What a laughable rush job! Just ridiculous. And fuck you, no, I won't be watching Season 2 I say now >_>!"

I demoted BTOOOM! to a "4/10 - Bad" last week. The only reason I don't demote it another grade this week is because that would mean putting BTOOOM! on the same level as Samurai Shodown - the Motion Picture. And while BTOOOM! may have been bad, it wasn't that bad. So, I guess that means it'll escape with a final score of "4/10 - Bad".
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #4667
Char
Banned

Chuunibyou related videos...
Dark Flame Master/Lelouch vi Britania (English subs)
Something similar? I dunno but I liked it
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #4668
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No Saturday morning Shinsekai yori.
No Saturday night SAO.
No Saturday night HxH.
No Saturday night JJBA.

Probably will watch my Sakurasou eps (11 & 12) Sunday. There was no PBC this week though (as expected), and of course the same is true of Psycho-Pass, so the next thing on my To See list is Monday Magi.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #4669
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I might give BTOOOM 12 a shot, I might not. I don't have anything else to watch afterall. Though right now, anything that isn't Rewrite isn't high priority for me. I guess it'd be something to change that "Worse anime I've finished" to BTOOOOM (trust me, if I finish BTOOOM, it will).

Speaking of Rewrite, I've finished two more paths. I have nothing else to talk about, so I'll talk about them.

Kotori - I umm...I think she's the main heroine of Rewrite. Anyway, for her path, it was half-in-half for me. It had the potential to be really good, and Kotori's VA is really really good, adding quite a bit to the dramatic scenes. Though there's a few unanswered questions, which will likely be answered in a future path. Also there was one scene that really killed alot of joy from the path for me. I know it's only one scene, but it was terrible. Though admittedly, the ending scene with Kotori was cool as hell.

Shizuru - Ugh. Key needs to fire whoever wrote her path. This was a damn trainwreck. Actually, it felt like I was reading something written by Reki. I guess Key thinks it's alright to not try when writing the paths for the moe characters. It's not as bad as Kud's, but still bad. Most of the path was lovey-dovey time with Shizuru. Also the ending was so god damn unsatisfying. It's a shame too. Shizuru's a really charming character. EDIT: Best quote from her path :"Who would want to destroy the world so badly that they'd kill people to do it?!"

Last edited by big bad birtha; 12-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #4670
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

The final Hellsing Ultimate is out. I've never been so excited to watch something. Can't wait for the translation aaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #4671
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
The final Hellsing Ultimate is out. I've never been so excited to watch something. Can't wait for the translation aaaaaaaaaaaaaah
It's out?!

*explodes from happiness*

Now if only they'd finish Hellsing: The Dawn as well...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #4672
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

And YES, I have arrived at Mio's Path in LB! It took a lot longer than I anticipated, but I really enjoyed the segments with Mio, a lot more than Komari, so I'm surprisingly eager to play on...

I'll have to put off Sakurasou for just a bit. But it won't be for long!

Oh, also, I was reading two H doujins.

The two are Kyoushi to Seito to by Fuuga, and Yanagida-kun to Mizuno-san by Enomoto Heights.

I really like Enomoto Heights' art-style. The author is female, and I dunno if it's a trend, but a number of the artists I really like seem to be female. Harumi Chihiro, CARNELIAN, Tsunako, are all female.

Now, although I've read about 91 pages of Yanagida-kun to Mizuno-san, I've really disliked the story. Girl offers blow job to guy, admits she did it because her boyfriend said she "sucked", and then he rapes her out of jealousy, and then the rest of the manga is this guy hungrily coercing sex out of her, and the girl starting to like him through a bizarre form of Stockholm Syndrome.

I find it detestable, pretty close to NTR. But the art's shockingly good, I don't want to put it down.

Fuuga's work isn't as nice, but the story's good enough for me and it's humourous. Noticeable character development. I think, if I read enough of this stuff, I'd start to believe women leak honey and men produce whipped cream from their lower regions, given the over the top visuals in this manga. It's easily the better of the two, although I don't like how the lower extremities are so hyper realistic compared to the rest of the manga.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #4673
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Hey I like CARNELIAN too. Moonlight Lady is the only hentai anime I've seen that had decent art and wasn't painfully low budget. Still, hentai anime doesn't do much for me for some reason. I get more horny just watching regular anime, lol. Same with colourized doujins. Gotta have that black & white for maximum sexy.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #4674
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Started watching Fate Stay Night (illogical names, anyone?). It looks interesting so far (at episode 5). :3
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #4675
Talon87
時の彼方へ

\o/

Though be forewarned that the anime goes stupid after a certain point. ^^; Don't make the mistake of thinking "the game must've been just like this! " (Wrong!) or "Fate/Zero must be just as bad." (WRONG! ) Would suggest:

1. Enjoy the anime.
2. Then go play the game. (A lot of core plot stuff from the game is missing from the show.)
3. Treat yourself to the UBW eye candy movie.
4. And finally check out Fate/Zero.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime