UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Battle Frontier

BATTLE FRONTIER

"The Battle Frontier - an island located in the sea of southwest Fizzby where trainers and Pokemon alike assemble to challenge themselves in unique and extraordinary ways. The Frontier is dedicated to bringing out a Pokemon's inner potential through rigorous training and hand to hand combat, as well as serve as a getaway for trainers who just need to cut loose from their journeys from time to time to partake in the island's whimsical offerings..."

====

After much discussion about my initial proposal for this in Discord, we have agreed it warrants its own dev thread for further discussion and organization.

Going off of Marion's initial proposal for a "sparring gym", I was toying with the idea and thought "How could we implement this, or make it better?" And then I had a thought. What if we implemented this idea as a Battle Resort, or a Battle Frontier, whereupon Pokemon can battle NPCs and engage in other athletic non-battling activities in order to level up, or perhaps even more than just that. Along with this would naturally come BP, or Battle Points, where the trainer could exchange their accumulated points for illustrious prizes, ranging from something as low as candies to something as coveted as an evolution stone or an extremely rare TM or hold item.

The first fear was: How do we implement this without straining already overworked updaters? And the answer ultimately became "Well, this would need to be FFA, then," as it is true - we do already have a large number of updaters who are already working hard. The good news is that, in the discussion in the Workshop, we had several volunteers to help out right off the bat, many of whom aren't already overworked. On top of this, for battle areas at the very least, I am proposing we encourage updaters to not write big updates and replies. Everything should obviously be RPed, and different aspects of the battle's context should be taken into account (such as the environment/arena it takes place on), but there wouldn't be any outright adventuring or hardcore roleplaying going on. Simply put, shorter, sweeter replies and updates, still in the spirit of FB roleplaying, but taking away the burden of needing to have a plot/story should make life much easier for everyone involved in this project. So I'd like to think this fear is put to rest for the most part.

The other issue that was run into during initial discussion, though was that we all had a lot of ideas for different areas for this proposal, but it came to the point where there were simply too many to be reasonably contained to one thread without becoming unorganized and cluttered. So, before moving forward with the actual ideas, I want to right away suggest we replace the Trainer Battles subforum with this entirely, should it go through - archiving all old threads in the Hall of Records and starting with a clean slate. Each proposed area would be FFA, headed up by a Frontier Brain who has creative control over the facility and acts more or less as a ZA (but without nearly as much work - basically just keeps things in check).

Here are some of the proposed areas. Please keep in mind they would require fine tuning and what you see here is not final, which is why we have this thread. ALL opponents, as it currently stands, would be NPCs. Each event/battle/etc would result in levels gained (how many still needs to be worked out), as well as BP. Failure to win a battle or otherwise may result in no levels gained, but some amount of BP will ALWAYS be rewarded regardless.

Battle Tower - The 3,000 foot high tower looms imposingly over all of the Battle Frontier with an environmentally dynamic battle arena situated on each floor of the skyscraper. Aspiring trainers gather here to face off in combat in its purest form, hoping one day to meet the Tower Tycoons who rule their respective divisions as a triumvirate at the apex of the spire.

1v1 Division: Pokemon battles at their simplest form. Trainers can come here to face off 1v1 in battle, no holds barred.

2v2 Division: Two on two battles. Many competitors find this to be battling at its finest.

3v3 Division: For the trainer who likes variety - 3v3 Battles are here for you.

Battle Arcade - Like something straight out of Akihabara, the Battle Arcade serves to entertain as well as provide a challenge for every kind of trainer. Trainers who like being surprised or adapting to any situation on the fly can come here to participate in a number of different types of gimmick battles - like a roulette that determines the conditions of the battle and the battlefield itself.

PokéLibre - Get ready to don la máscaras and throw down in this insane arena of loco lucha libre shenanigans. Trainers can take their Pokemon into the arena to face off against luchadores in lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight match ups, as well as tag team and many, many more types of crazy formats. (And who better to be the Frontier Brain for this than Tate?)

Pokéthalon - A true test of a Pokemon's athletic ability, the Pokethalon features challenges that truly embody the nature of competition. Monthly events with a range of different athletic contests each time serve to push a Pokemon to its limits. From racing, to jumping, to feats of strength and stamina, these competitions will strengthen Pokemon as well as reward them for their effort and ability. Tacitly divided into Junior and Senior divisions.

Contests - The Contest Theater, a large facility dedicated to Coordinators everywhere. Cool, Cute, Clever, Beautiful, and Tough displays of showmanship between coordinators and their Pokemon can be seen here as the two work hand in hand to impress the judges and the crowd with displays of individual prowess. So pack up those Poffins, because the show is about to start.

=========

Participating in events and battles will reward the trainer with BP, or Battle Points. The better a trainer does, the more BP they will earn. Even if a trainer loses, or does not perform well, some amount of BP will still be earned. As previously mentioned, accumulated BP can then be spent at the Battle Shop to buy items such as candies, TMs, elemental stones, and hold items. The exact items and their pricing, as well as how much BP is earned from each activity, is yet to be discussed.

Among the aforementioned, other areas have been proposed as well, such as an area where trainers could take their Pokemon to battle to achieve learning an unnatural or egg move through rigorous training, or even a Battle Factory. There is much to be discussed still, but a lot of people so far seem to think this idea has a lot of potential.

So, here is the proposal at its simplest form, thus far.

Phew.

Thoughts?

Last edited by deoxys; 07-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I approved of the idea of a Battle Frontier in FB a while back, and I still like the idea today. I love the idea of incorporating Contests and the Pokéathlon into this as well.

Question- any chance of the Battle Pike being part of this? I actually helped EAI test out the Battle Pike back when we had first been considering the notion of a Battle Frontier in FB. I for one would like to see that go somewhere. The Battle Pike testing went down in this thread over at Bulbagarden.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
EpicSquirtle
Adrift in a sea of dreams

I don't have much to add, but I just wanted to say I'm a big fan of the idea of a Battle Frontier.
MM does bring up a good question though. The Battle Pike seems like it could be pretty fun, and a nice addition to this already great idea.
EpicSquirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
morningstar
ようせいのお姫様

I really like this! I'd be interested to see more of what might be in the Battle Arcade, Inverse and Rotation Battles maybe?

morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

I approve for... Obvious reasons.

I've been giving some thought to PokéLibre, and I was thinking it could be an II style thing, with trainers purely as spectators in the stands.

Physical moves only, and we could do all sorts of fun shenanigans. Tag battles, ladder matches, maybe even you build a rivalry with an NPC through repeat visits and call for a mask v mask or a hair match!

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Battle Arcade will include such things such as Inverse and Rotation Battles. It will also contain possible outcomes from the Roulette from Plat/HG/SS. Plus it can contain other, yet to be determined possibilities as well.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Just popping in to say that I like everything about this here. PokéLibre I imagine is the thematically appropriate place to hold doubles, triples, multi, tag and battle royals? I mean, it's just perfect for it, among other shenanigans. A part of me also wants the trainers themselves to also get the chance to wrassle just for kicks. xD

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmund View Post
Just popping in to say that I like everything about this here. PokéLibre I imagine is the thematically appropriate place to hold doubles, triples, multi, tag and battle royals? A part of me also wants the trainers themselves to also get the chance to wrassle just for kicks.
It is literally Pokémon wrasslin' sir o3o

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Run with it and see how it goes. Nothing like putting the concept to the test and tweaking it as we go along.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Might as well go all out on the wrestlimg then! Have people join a semi-comsistent roster. Make your Pokemon don an alter wrestling personality, complete with a ridiculous backstory, unique wrestling moveset and all. Develop interesting partnerships and rivalries. This might even be the place for proper pvp! After all, if you do away with stats and movepools, and you put everyone on an even playing field in a lucha context, you can then orchestrate some very fun and over the top matches without worrying about fairness and type matchups and whatnot!

EDIT: Here's another interesting idea for PokéLucha: You can earn BP not based on winning or losing a match, but rather based on you performance. You could get a 1-5 star rating based on how well the audience was kept on the edge of their seats, regardless of the result. That sometimes might involve when to time a critical comback, or when to put yourself on the receiving end. No sells are no fun. Rise to fame and glory and earn a fanbase for even more BP!

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 07-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
deoxys
Fog Badge

I agree, actually - I think if there were any proper way to do PvP in Fizzy Bubbles, PokeLibre would be the way to go about it. It's unique, it's different, it's battling but it isn't, and it could create rivalries and storylines, just like the real thing.

I'm also open to more discussion on a Battle Pike for sure, but I also think we shouldn't extend the Battle Frontier outside of ~6-7 at most key areas so that we're not over saturating things.

We would also need volunteers to serve as the creative heads of each division. The Frontier Brains would just be the thread creators and curators, much like how Raves and Jeri are of Bedlam and II, making sure everyone who partakes in the FFA nature stays somewhat in line with their vision and follows the established rules, and can even work on an individual case by case basis with updaters to help control the direction. Also, I'm more than happy to be the Frontier Brain of the Battle Tower.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
I'd be willing to cover one of the zones if it came up.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

If we had PvP we'd need refs, but I'm down. Tate just has one demand:

WE LIVE AND DIE ON THE KAYFABE. O3O

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

Oh - I also like the idea of making like, a big collaborative list/google doc of already established FB NPCs with one or two sentences detailing who they are and what zone they are from, and maybe who has encountered them or what kind of Pokemon they would have - and then drawing from that list (as well as making new NPCs) so we can use pre-existing trainers in the Battle Frontier/Battle Tower, because I think that would be rad af.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
Meetan
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Oh - I also like the idea of making like, a big collaborative list/google doc of already established FB NPCs with one or two sentences detailing who they are and what zone they are from, and maybe who has encountered them or what kind of Pokemon they would have - and then drawing from that list (as well as making new NPCs) so we can use pre-existing trainers in the Battle Frontier/Battle Tower, because I think that would be rad af.
I will say to only do this if you have permission from those who used/made those NPCs. If I caught mine being used by other people without permission I'd quite frankly lose my shit, for example, because mine have a good amount of thought in them and are close to my heart rather than passive devices.

Otherwise, I love everything so far. I'd love to maybe be/have Alice be a Frontier Brain for the contests (although I think Gary might want that...) or the 1v1 area, but I'm not sure what competition's like or what my life will be come late August. As for people talking about inverse/rotational/etc, have some chill. This is already a massive and diverse thing, and while extension is possible a lot of us felt that this needs to be tested at its most basic and we can develop upon it later. Maybe if it's too much, inverse/rotational/etc could be saved for special Frontier events.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

FWIW, I'm personally against the idea of individual player characters being in charge of a facility. The term Frontier Brain is used loosely and thematically in this context, being essentially equivalent to a ZA.

Though in terms of contests, I guess that could be an exception, I don't really see anything wrong necessarily with PCs being in charge of contest direction, like a Contest Director or something idk... just as long as you're not declaring yourself like, 'top coordinator' or something. None of that biz. Any "real" frontier brains would, IMO, need to be NPCs, like the Three Tower Tycoons.

And we don't have to use pre-established NPCs, I get where you're coming from. We could just make brand new ones only and leave it up to updater discretion if they want NPCs they've personally made make appearances. Yeah, tbh, maybe that is better.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #17
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

This is an amazing idea, I was just saying the other day that it would be nice to have a place to battle each other. Would have liked to have seen a battle factory (rental mons would be pretty fun) but I'm not too concerned about that. Would be happy to be a Brain as well, I currently don't have that much on my plate in FB and have been looking for a way to get more involved.

edit: Yes I agree that the title of Frontier Brain shouldn't be for your character as then it just becomes competitive. It should essentially mean you are ZA for that area

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #18
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

!!!

CONTESTS

I'd still like to have PvP in some form though.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #19
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

> Frontier Brains

If Tate doesn't get to dress up en mascara and run around PokéLibre being mysterious and flamboyant I will riot sir. RIOT.

If you give me until Saturday I'll write up a draft for PokéLibre. I'm still taking a sabbatical ATM.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #20
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Thought I would throw my hat into the ring with a proposal for an area not included on deo's list. I would like to become Frontier Brain of this area as well, of course. :p

Horsea Harbor

A small floating pier off the coast of the Battle Frontier mainland. Horsea Harbor exists as a training and exercise resort for trainers and their aquatic Pokemon who would otherwise be unable to participate in the Battle Frontier’s landlocked activities. There are a number of training programs for water Pokemon to compete in, including racing in the Azure Bay Relay, sparring in the Undella Duel, or play in the Seafloor Scramble.

Azure Bay Relay: A large, rectangular open-water enclosure the size of an Olympic swimming pool. Here contestants pit their Pokemon against NPC’s Pokemon and race to see who has the best time. The pool length is 50m, and races will typically be 100m races; swimming the length of the pool and back.
1. Trainers must select one Pokemon to compete and select a particular swimming style.
Freestyle: Focuses on precision and technique while remaining near the surface of the water.
Butterfly: Focuses on power while building momentum by alternating from the surface to submerged swimming.
Breaststroke: Focuses on a balanced swimming technique that can utilize both precise and powerful moves.
2. Up to three moves may be ordered to the participating Pokemon (ie. Surf, Agility, Dive), and the trainer must select a particular pattern for the Pokemon to repeat while swimming. Beware of moves that may restrict the Pokemon’s movement as it could slow down or disrupt their swimming.
3. Attacks will fall under two categories: Precision and Power. Freestyle will gain a bonus from Precision and a penalty from Power, Butterfly will gain a bonus from Power and a penalty from Precision, and Breaststroke will gain neither bonus nor penalty from Precision or Power.
4. Races will typically last 2 Updates long. At the halfway mark (50m), trainers may change up the attacks their Pokemon are using or reorder the pattern of the attacks being used. Trainers may not change the swimming style mid-race.
5. At the end of the second update, the race concludes and the score is added up based on combination between swimming style, moves used, and effectivity of the pattern. BP will be rewarded according to the score of the race.
Undella Duel: An open ocean underwater battling arena. Trainers dive underwater with their Pokemon, and with the assistance of rebreathers they can call out commands to their Pokemon from a safe distance. The battle arena consists of a vast expanse of open water while the bottom consists of a sandy bottom and scattered rock formations ideal for hiding.
1. There are two battle types: Single Battle and Double Battles. Single Battles will be 3 v 3 while Double Battles will be 2 v 2.
2. There are 3 Battle Difficulty levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Adept. In Beginner difficulty, Pokemon lv.15 and under may enter. In the Intermediate difficulty, Pokemon lv.50 and under may enter. In the Adept difficulty, any Pokemon may enter.
3. Opponents will be chosen from preset NPC teams depending on battle type and difficulty.
4. Be careful when selecting attacks to use in an underwater battle. Attacks like Solar Beam might have reduced effectiveness while Fire attacks may not have any effectiveness at all.
5. BP will be rewarded at the end of the battle depending on win or loss and number of opposing Pokemon KO’d.
Seafloor Scramble: A game mode where trainers select one Pokemon to look for hidden treasure underwater. There are a number of different stages to select from.
1. Trainers will select one Pokemon to participate in the game, which will last 5 Rounds. The goal is for the Pokemon to search areas specific to the description of the chosen stage for treasure. Trainers will be given 5 chances to tell their Pokemon where to look, one per round.
2. The selection of stages each feature different terrain and have conditions that might hinder Pokemon in their search.
Brooklet Hill: A calm lagoon featuring a lower pool and a higher pool. A waterfall connects the two and the move Waterfall is required to search the higher pool. Thick seagrass cover the bottoms of the pools and schools of Wishiwashi are known to disrupt swimmers.
Shoal Cave: A dark underwater cave that sits perpetually underneath the tide. Visibility is dim and large rock formations cover the bottom of the cave. Playful Sealeo often try to distract divers who come near them.
Seafoam Islands: An open ocean reef with a wrecked ship in the middle. This area is filled with activity of wild Pokemon throughout the area. Small caves make good hiding places for treasure, but also homes to Kingler and Cloyster.
Whirl Islands: A coral reef hidden by four powerful whirlpools. The move Whirlpool is a necessity to pass through them and search the interior of the reef. Mischievous Corsola are known to hide treasure throughout the reef.
3. One attack may be ordered to the Pokemon at the start of each round to assist them in their search. Moves like Dive and Aqua Jet may allow the Pokemon to submerge faster to allow more time to search, moves like Supersonic may be used for echolocation, moves like Camouflage may help the Pokemon hide from wild Pokemon that might get in the way, and moves like Whirlpool and Waterfall may negate hazardous or obstructive terrain.
4. Hidden treasure will be pre-determined at the start of the game. Treasure can range from Pearls to Big Pearls and even ancient artifacts. It is also possible that the participating Pokemon is unlucky and comes back with nothing for a round. At the end of the game, a score will be tallied based on the value of the treasure found. BP will be rewarded according to the score.

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:
Sandaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #21
Connor
Flashbacker

I wouldn't mind running Contests. I have some experience from having done them in ASB and am confident I can translate the system well enough to FB.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #22
deoxys
Fog Badge

I really like Gary's proposal overall. It's really solid.

That said, I just want to touch on a few quick things.

1. We need to talk about the BP system and how an updater should determine the amount of BP that gets rewarded, and when it gets rewarded. I think this should and probably will end up being at updater discretion and vary from area to area, but getting a general idea would help so that we can craft a BP Shop based around this system to price items appropriately.

2. This might be controversial, but given that we already have BP as rewards for participating in the BF, I don't personally believe the $250 for 250 words benefit should extend to the Battle Frontier. However, staff rewards still should, for obvious reasons.

3. Levels. Level distribution should also be updater discretion with some basic guidelines, but my thought process on this is the less Pokemon you have out, the more levels you get, and vice versa. If you're in a 3 on 3 battle, all of your Pokemon will level up (provided they don't faint first), but distribution of levels should be lessened compared to a single 1v1 battle - however, I think the context of the battle will matter the most.

4. With all of the proposed areas right now, we are currently sitting at seven (with the Battle Pike [which still needs to be drafted, if anyone wants to take a crack at some ideas for it] and Horsea Harbor). I think that if we have any more than this, we are actually risking being stretched thin at that point. Speaking of stretched thin...

5. We would probably need to impose a restriction on how many areas can be visited at the same time to curb overworking, despite this being FFA. I was thinking 3 would be acceptable - or, we could test a "you can be everywhere, but you can't have the same Pokemon out in more than one area at a time"

6. And finally, there are some people who do want PvP battling. My opinion on this is this: we go with what we got for now to see how it goes, and after a bit of time, we can introduce PvP battling as a different-colored text sub-area of the Battle Tower, once we've found our groove.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #23
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

1. Can't commentate, since i think this will vary a lot from area to area, but probably shouldn't surpass 5-10 BP at max.

2. Fine with this, but would also be fine with not this. Indifferent.

3. Also fine with this.

4. I think we should probably focus on building the areas we have now, as much fun as proposing ideas are. We don't want this to become to big to handle.

5. I think a limit is a must, and I personally lean towards a limit to the number of areas you can visit. I think, once we got it established and under control, we could experiment with some other type of limitation, but i think we shouldn't throw too many new variables in at once.

6. Also fine with this. I'd like to see the PokeLibre have both an NPC and PvP option myself.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #24
Patches
Shake it!

1. I agree that this should be updater discretion but I also think that there should be a minimum and maximum range this way everyone is getting at least a minimum amount that would make it worth doing and is also prevents people from getting way too much.

2. I agree with this. Because this zone is meant to have less work than the other zones so that we will actually be able to have updaters that aren’t burning out, I think there shouldn’t be a money reward for replies. The points are already a reward in itself and I think if updatees are pushing 250 words in order to get paid then that may put pressure on the updaters to write more as well. On the other side of things, it can be a bit hard to write 250 word replies in response to battles and I know that if I was going to get paid to do so, I’d feel the need to force a bunch of fluff into my reply and I don’t get the impression that’s what this place is shooting for. Updaters should of course still get the staff rewards.

3. I agree.

4. Yes, I think that we should probably not propose anymore areas for the time being.

5. I personally think that there should definitely be a restriction on the number of areas that can be visited at the same time. I think that without a restriction it can get a bit chaotic and hard to follow. At the very least, I think we should start with a restriction and see how it goes before possibly considering making it more open.

6. I also agree with this. I think PvP sounds interesting but I think this is something we should take baby steps on. We should see how it goes with what we currently have before adding all of these extra things. It’s best to start with less and build upon it. It’s not easy to just take something away after it has been implemented.

Fizzy Bubbles
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #25
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

^ Patches said good stuff and I agree.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development