UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #76
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Code Geass

Five minutes into Eclipse's sub and there were already several mistakes (yes ) and many disagreeable Jpns-to-Engl decisions. Unless there's a real turnaround next week, I think this battle's already over: [gg]'s translator > Eclipse's. Never thought I'd be saying those words. Now I'm REALLY AFRAID of what will happen if [gg] decides to pull a fast one and quit releasing VLC-compatible files halfway through the series like they did last time. (So far 1 and 2 work just fine on VLC.)

I'll let you know what I find tomorrow (or whenever) if and when I finish watching Eclipse's version of Ep2.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #77
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

I wasn't too impressed with Eclipse either, they changed some things and put as their comment, "Eclipse is awesome!" as if to address the bemoaning from last episode, but I only really went with Eclipse's sub because [gg]'s .mkv wouldn't work in either of my players. A real turnaround from last time, since instead of being incompatible with VLC, now [gg]'s work won't run with CCCP. >_>
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #78
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

OH HEY HA HA HA, someone just pointed out to be the Chinese Eunuch was Geass'd! That's why they were so cooperative with Lelouch, LOL!

Also, Talon. Check these.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #79
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've mentiond his being Geass'd multiple times in this thread. -.- :P

As for the YGO crossovers, suhweet! I love good crossovers!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #80
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Talon, I'm comparing the [gg] Geass II 02 to Eclipse's, and I've got to admit, you're right on the mark on [gg] being the superior sub. I decided to check because one line in particular made absolutely no sense in Eclipse's - "The concept of 'cutting off' is not enough to beat Britannia". In [gg]'s sub, it's "Reducing Britannia's numbers isn't enough to defeat it". MUCH CLEARER.

Now if only they released a proper .avi.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #81
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't know what it is, either, because my understanding is that Eclipse is (supposed to) have one of the best translators in the fansubbing scene right now. To me, such a claim equates to saying "we have a translator onboard who speaks both Japanese and English natively." The other confounding variable is Eclipse's truly excellent sub of Kanon (which was better than a.f.k.'s) and (I'm watching it right now!) excellent sub of Clannad. I just don't get it.

Talon's favorite theory: I think that we get into a mentality of "oh, such-and-such group has and forever will have this wonderful translator" when the truth of the matter is that great translators come and go. Some of them get tired of translating; others (like me, although I was never great nor claim to be) become too preoccupied with other things in real life and can't keep doing it; and some of them may part ways with one group in order to join -- or start -- another. So this is my theory explained with examples:
  • a.f.k. - made a better Suzumiya Haruhi translation than Bandai itself (I can confirm this first-hand), but made a non-competitive sub of Kanon. Theory: Haruhi subber left.[/*2w6emtoo]
  • ShS-Eclipse - made a fantastic sub of Kanon and Clannad. Theory: ShS lent the subber, not Eclipse. (See next entry for why.)[/*2w6emtoo]
  • Eclipse (all by itself) - made a horrible sub of Code Geass R2 (judging from the last two episodes, especially the 2nd one). Theory: Eclipse never had a great subber to begin with -- they were borrowing Shinsen's.[/*2w6emtoo]
  • [gg] - made a pretty good but sometimes inaccurate sub of Code Geass season #1, and went on to make an excellent (and highly accurate) sub of Code Geass season #2, although they admit that they're getting help from the closed captions. Theory: good translator (even great, given his excellent knack for picking the best English phrases and figures of speech to match up with the original Japanese ones), probably the same they had for Geass S1 but he's gotten better in the last year. Good for him.[/*2w6emtoo]

Here's the really damning thing, and the one that convinces me that Eclipse cannot possibly have a native translator onboard for this project: Eclipse also has access to those same Japanese closed captions. You can read all about it on Eclipse's website (iirc in the FAQ section). They explain how they and [gg] have decided to each sub Geass in order to blow away Shinsen and Menclave. Or something. Won't really work on Shinsen (since they're not subbing Geass R2 anyway) but I guess it could work to hurt Menclave's e-feelings. *shrug* Anyway, [gg] has a contact in Japan (sounds shady!) who has access to the closed captions before the episode even goes on air. This is why they are able to sub the series so quickly -- assisted by the closed captions (which apparently are highly superior to the kind our deaf friends put up with in America!) -- and so accurately. Yet ... Eclipse is still making errors. ERRORS WHICH SEEM ODDLY LITERAL.

Talon's Theory Specific to Eclipse as of April 2008: I think that their current subber knows about as much Japanese as I do (which is not as much as he needs to for Eclipse to be making bold claims like "We're the best :P"), and that the errors he is making stem from being too damn literal -- too literal because he's relying heavily on a dictionary for x number of words he is unfamiliar with, where x is a sufficiently large integer.
  1. This is why they went with Chinese Federation -- because I, too, thought it sounded better than "Chinese Union" and Union and Federation are the two options Jim Breen's WWWJDIC provides.[/*2w6emtoo]
  2. This is why they're translating figures of speech so awkwardly -- because they're translating them word for word rather than as figures of speech. (Example: it would be like a Russian guy translating a show of ours into Russian where one character says "I prefer my furniture to be made out of redwood" and the guy writes "red wood"; or like "Take a left on the turnpike" being translated as "take a left on the rotate-spear".)[/*2w6emtoo]

The final icing on the cake that [gg]'s subber is better? He bothers to do his homework. Even with his firm command of Japanese, even with his (illegal? ) access ahead of time to the closed captions, he still checks in with Goro Taniguchi and Sunrise's official English names for various characters and places. As shown on [gg]'s website, this is why they translated Chuuka Renpou as "Chinese Union" -- because Goro himself decided that that would be the English equivalent. Not because [gg]'s translator thought it sounded better. (lol, he probably felt the same way Eclipse's translator and I felt! )
Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #82
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Talon's favorite theory: I think that we get into a mentality of "oh, such-and-such group has and forever will have this wonderful translator" when the truth of the matter is that great translators come and go. Some of them get tired of translating; others (like me, although I was never great nor claim to be) become too preoccupied with other things in real life and can't keep doing it; and some of them may part ways with one group in order to join -- or start -- another. So this is my theory explained with examples:
  • a.f.k. - made a better Suzumiya Haruhi translation than Bandai itself (I can confirm this first-hand), but made a non-competitive sub of Kanon. Theory: Haruhi subber left.[/*1xwjljvg]
  • ShS-Eclipse - made a fantastic sub of Kanon and Clannad. Theory: ShS lent the subber, not Eclipse. (See next entry for why.)[/*1xwjljvg]
  • Eclipse (all by itself) - made a horrible sub of Code Geass R2 (judging from the last two episodes, especially the 2nd one). Theory: Eclipse never had a great subber to begin with -- they were borrowing Shinsen's.[/*1xwjljvg]
  • [gg] - made a pretty good but sometimes inaccurate sub of Code Geass season #1, and went on to make an excellent (and highly accurate) sub of Code Geass season #2, although they admit that they're getting help from the closed captions. Theory: good translator (even great, given his excellent knack for picking the best English phrases and figures of speech to match up with the original Japanese ones), probably the same they had for Geass S1 but he's gotten better in the last year. Good for him.[/*1xwjljvg]
I suspect you're right on this - Eclipse's translator for Geass appears to be the same one who did FSN; excellent with speed, but not without errors ("People die if they are killed!"). The other translators like for Hayate and Shana are more accurate but take a lot more time, and given how much of a competitive advantage [gg] has right now Eclipse appears willing to make the trade-off for quickness over quality. Yet they still come out after [gg], though their encodes are (in my view) far better.

There's three subbers on Eclipse's staff I know of (Clannad translator, Shana then Hayate), plus the speed supper makes four. Shinsen appears to have two, [gg]...who knows. That group was always quite mysterious.

Quote:
Here's the really damning thing, and the one that convinces me that Eclipse cannot possibly have a native translator onboard for this project: Eclipse also has access to those same Japanese closed captions. You can read all about it on Eclipse's website (iirc in the FAQ section). They explain how they and [gg] have decided to each sub Geass in order to blow away Shinsen and Menclave. Or something. Won't really work on Shinsen (since they're not subbing Geass R2 anyway) but I guess it could work to hurt Menclave's e-feelings. *shrug* Anyway, [gg] has a contact in Japan (sounds shady!) who has access to the closed captions before the episode even goes on air. This is why they are able to sub the series so quickly -- assisted by the closed captions (which apparently are highly superior to the kind our deaf friends put up with in America!) -- and so accurately. Yet ... Eclipse is still making errors. ERRORS WHICH SEEM ODDLY LITERAL.
Menclave's not on the project either IIRC, most subbers backed off Geass II when they heard a) it was licensed or b) Eclipse was subbing it. Like with Triad, most subbers don't try to compete directly with an Eclipse property unless hubris gets the better of them (Clannad) or the rival is well established enough to go head to head and take a share of leechers (Shinsen).

Quote:
The final icing on the cake that [gg]'s subber is better? He bothers to do his homework. Even with his firm command of Japanese, even with his (illegal? ) access ahead of time to the closed captions, he still checks in with Goro Taniguchi and Sunrise's official English names for various characters and places. As shown on [gg]'s website, this is why they translated Chuuka Renpou as "Chinese Union" -- because Goro himself decided that that would be the English equivalent. Not because [gg]'s translator thought it sounded better. (lol, he probably felt the same way Eclipse's translator and I felt! )
I wish he'd go with what sounds better than with what's "official", almost everything done "officially" by Sunrise for EL distro has struck me as bone-headed. I mean, who did Goro think he was fooling saying he "hand picked" the Geass English cast from the finest voice actors in America? The selections look suspiciously similar to the B-actor cast of Eureka Seven, who were picked because they were local talent and were exceedingly cheap.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #83
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Heh heh heh @ Doppel's last paragraph. ^_^ Wit was definitely with you today.

Back to Paragraph #2: for the record, I'm not the one saying that they're doing this to piss off Menclave -- they (Eclipse) say it themselves. Only I was wrong, it's not on their official website: I found it by dumbshit luck Googling at medical school one day, and backtracking my steps I found it again. Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by an Eclipse staff member
OK, so let me explain how all this came to be. A story of fansub drama (ok not really, but if you're not interested in fansub group internal affairs you might want to skip the rest of this post), exclusive to ADTRW.

To get to the start of this, rewind a few months. Geass R2 had just been announced for spring, gg was for all intents and purposes dead and koda (former leader and main driving force in gg, burned out and went gently caress fansubbing sometime after geass S1) was off doing god knows what. Since I'm a fan of geass and wanted to work on it, I suggested to the rest of Eclipse that we should pick it up since the only takers so far seemed to be Shinsen and Menclave. Since one of our two translators is (with his own words) a "Lelouch fanboy", it was met with approval and it was preliminarily decided that we were going to pick it up.

Fast forward a few weeks. Suddenly koda pops out of hiding and asks me if I want to encode Geass S1 DVD-rips, since looking back at the gg TV release it seemed pretty horrible both video and translation-wise. I naturally say yes. Forward another couple of weeks. We release a couple of episodes (as Dominos, lol pizza hut, get it?) and suddenly another old gg staff member (House, encoder) that had gone into hiding months earlier pops out of the woodwork with access to a dedicated raw capping server in Japan, and thereby also closed captions. Suddenly koda realizes that she has an almost complete fansub team with access to a really good (and FAST) raw as well as a translation "cheat sheet", and in her twisted mind the idea to speedsub Geass R2 for purposes of drama, oversubbing and general hilarity is born (babelfishing the captions for maximum possible hilarity is discussed and considered, but ultimately discarded).

Since these discussions are going on in the Dominos IRC channel (de facto new gg staff room) I'm very much aware of the plans to do R2 as gg, so at this point (around 3 weeks ago) I ask koda something along the lines of "hey, if you're doing this maybe we (Eclipse) should drop our plans to do it and go sub something else instead", to which her answer is basically "pffffft, we're doing this for oversubbing on purpose, drama and to piss off Menclave, Eclipse should totally do it too!". I go pretty much "lol ok" and since both I and the rest of Eclipse really wanted to do Geass, we keep our plans for doing it.

Since House already started capping Shana II and Hayate no Gotoku for Eclipse, he readily agrees to provide Geass R2 caps to us as well, with koda's approval. Menclave also asks but is rejected in a twist of fansub drama, but later gets it anyway. The job of encoding R2 for gg is given to House as well, which results in me not actually working on R2 for gg at all, except as consultant and project channel smacktalker.

All of this comes together to put me in a rather amusing situation where I get double credit for a single workload since a lot of people seem to assume that I'm encoding it for both gg and Eclipse; this assumption is strengthened by that text on ggkthx.org and the fact that I have insider information from both projects.

TL;DR: gg and Eclipse, Best Friends Forever. Also some of us doesn't like Menclave and Shinsen, lol fansub drama. TheFluff has fun being considered Important on the Internet (lol) for the wrong reasons.

Oh and if you're wondering which version to download, I don't know! Pick whichever you prefer or whichever comes out faster, they're both good. Eclipse has better sign typesetting since we went with hardsubbing and Adobe AfterEffects, but translation and encoding-wise both should of pretty much equal quality since we both have the closed captions and the same raw. Only real difference is script editing.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #84
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Looking at how things actually worked out, looks like Eclipse and [gg]'s "plan" to cause drama with Shinsen and Menclave backfired.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #85
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey Talon, did you hear about the Geass II 03 episode leak? We got the final six minutes of show and some juicy spoilers came out of it. Additionally, Sunrise is thinking they want to remake the episode and delay the rest of the series until they've redone the whole sequence. One staff member was arrested in this incident.

Methinks this is probably more of Sunrise's viral marketing buzz - why go to the extent of punishing the viewers badly for this guy's leak? Given Sunrise's ruthless and experimental nature with off-beat marketing, this strikes me as a huge publicity stunt, not because of the act but the response.

Biggest of the spoilers:

Rollo's Geass isn't a teleport or a time dilation, as I figured, but rather a time stop. MUDA DA!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #86
Talon87
時の彼方へ

ENTIRE POST CONTAINS EPISODE 3 SPOILERS IN RESPONSE TO DOPPELGANGER

This is the first of your spoilers I've read, and I've got to say ... if he has infinite uses of it and his range is at least as large as the room he and Lelouch were in when they were in their respective KnightMare frames, then I've got to say BUHROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKEN. It wouldn't have been if it required direct eye/ear/touch/etc. contact with the person(s) affected, but since it appears he can use it with no strings attached except possibly range (and even the range is pretty large), it's just ridiculously overpowered.

Come to think of it ... if he can stop time, why not just stop time when Lelouch and Karen made their escape? Aha! (I hope) : limitation identified! Maybe he doesn't have infinite uses over a finite window of time; instead, maybe (a) he has a finite number of uses, period, or (b) he has an infinite number of uses but a finite number of uses per finite window of time.

This is starting to make sense though. This is why Rollo and Lelouch get into an equestrian competition next episode. Rollo's probably going to kick Lulu's ass even though Lelouch is a master horserider and strategist, and Lelouch is going to wonder why -- and so is the unspoilered audience up until they see the explanation you shared here.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #87
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Personally, I don't subscribe to the whole "toke wo tomare!" idea, I still think Rollo's Geass is a very powerful hypnosis that causes people to selectively ignore a couple seconds worth of time while Rollo gets behind them. All Geass abilities thus far have been "mind manipulation" in some sense, either rewriting memories, giving commands or reading thoughts. A physical-world altering one like that just screams SHARINGAN to me.

Here's a brief run-down of the last six minutes:

Lelouch is on a date with Shirley but is getting tailed by Britannians, who he manages to evade. He and Shirley get separated. Rollo appears and Lelouch says they're not related, which kicks Rollo into action. He reappears next to Lulu, holding Lulu's gun to his forehead. Next, we see Li Xingke attacking some Black Knights.

Thoughts:

1. Li Xingke fighting the Black Knights tells me he's probably unraveled the mystery behind Lelouch's Geass. The spoilers mentioned he's unsatisfied with the Chinese Federation bureaucracy, having a low birth and needing to bring himself up; I think he wants to start a rebellion there, and looks to Zero as a model but not without his own reservations, judging from how he gave a mixed impression when Zero reappeared.

2. I hate Rollo. His actor is one of my favourites but, like Suzaku's (another favourite who voiced the ever-so-Gar Fakir from Princess Tutu and Kamiyama from Cromartie) the actors are good enough to give "I fudging hate these guys" voices. It's not personal guys! ;_;

3. I brought this up to much fanfare on Yotsuba, but...why is Lulu continuing with the school drama? >_> He's a senior right now, and since the story takes place "one year" after Geass I, when the school year was about to end (recall the giant pizza festival) this nonsense should be short lived. Yet everything seems to suggest it'll have as much a role as before.

4. I'm growing scared of Sunrise saying the "character drama" is going to take a focus in the second season and that "we only had a little time to touch on it in the first". :x How much farther can they go?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 AM   #88
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Talon, here's the leaked video.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #89
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched it. Needless to say, I'm impressed and at the same time worried by Rollo's Geass. It just seems to be way too powerful. And since Lelouch has fallen victim to it twice now, this proves that Rollo's Geass is capable of multiple uses on the same target.

As for the rest of your spoiler discussion ... it's pure speculation at this point, and I don't feel like size-four'ing my text just to respond to it. ^^; Maybe later today, but probably not until we actually get our hands on the full, subbed episode.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #90
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm calling it right now. ROLLO = GEASSED NUNALLY. The Emperor rewrote her memories so she can spy on Lelouch!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #91
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, now that we've seen Episode 4 I think we can rule out Rolo being Geass'ed Nunnally. Unless his memories of previous assassination missions is also part of the Emperor's doing. Man, though, the Emperor would have to be seriously fucked up to transgender his own daughter for the sake of toying with his own son.

I enjoyed 3 and 4, but I guess I feel that 4 introduced what I would label as the first inescapable deus ex machina of Season 2.

What: Rolo joining Lelouch
Why: Because it's one of the following two situations, and either one will prove to be pretty deus ex machinaey

Scenario 1: Rolo genuinely snapped and genuinely joined Lelouch. This is distasteful deus ex machina because Rolo was so ready to kill Lelouch at the end of Episode 1 -- Episode 1! -- and so it doesn't make sense that he would have been so easily swayed from his mission at the start of Episode 4. Lelouch's whole schpiel about delivering C.C. was so obviously a desperate plea for sparing his life with zero sincerity to deliver on the promise that it's inconceivable Rolo actually fell for it. Then there's the whole bit about Lelouch telling Rolo (once at the start and once at the end) "I wouldn't lie to you, Rolo. Because you're my brother. ^-^" In the end, he tacks on, "Even though you're not really my brother, I'll never forget the last year we spent together as brothers. I love you like my own brother, Rolo." For Rolo to cave in to that makes him the most fragile-minded character ever. It's just too effing convenient and screams "Sunrise couldn't think of a better way to introduce viewers to Rolo as an antagonist followed by Lelouch recruiting Rolo to the Order's side."

Scenario 2: Read all of the above but then say, "... except Rolo is faking it." This wouldn't make it deus ex machine-ey just yet, but it would make it deus ex machine-ey at the time Rolo reveals to Lelouch he was just fibbing and how he's hasn't been fooled at all by Lelouch's words, etc etc. If we're supposed to believe come Episode 17 that Rolo didn't really snap, then it begs the retrograde question of why Rolo spared Lelouch's life at the start of Episode 4. Only a fragile-minded Rolo would have done that. It's too silly to argue that a strong-minded Rolo, in that split second he had to figure shit out, decided to pretend to be fragile-minded and spare Lelouch. Does. Not. Follow.

Sigh. And Episode 5 looks like it's the first "goofy filler" episode of the new season. Last time iirc that didn't happen until Episode 8 ... maybe it was earlier, but I seem to recall the "Suzaku joins the school and chases the cat around campus with Zero's mask" being 8 or so. Anyway ...
Old 04-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #92
Talon87
時の彼方へ

One more plot hole with Rolo this episode I forgot to mention ...

They claim that he can't affect physical objects when the missile is fired at him -- he only has the ability to stop human beings. Time itself continues to pass normally, although to those under the influence of the Geass it seems as though time is passing seamlessly to them and yet Rolo is moving with incredible speed. There is a big problem with this claim! :x

Rolo used his Geass to time-hop closer to Lelouch while the KnightMare frames on the toppled platform were still falling or racing towards level ground. Given the explanation that Rolo can't stop physical objects' passage through time, that would mean that the KnightMare frames ought to have continued to fall down the incline, i.e. Rollo shouldn't have been able to catch up any faster with his Geass than he would have without it. Because (say) in the 5 seconds he "freezes" time for the humans (but it's still really passing) and he orders the Vincent to march towards Lelouch, Lelouch's KnightMare frame would have been tugged by gravity + it still would have had the initial forward momentum he ordered into it right before Rolo's Geass went off.

In other words, I'll agree that if the Vincent is overall faster than the gap should decrease second-by-second, but I'm saying that there's no way that Rolo could have gone from far away to super-close in just 1 or 2 seconds. The Vincent's isn't that fast, and the KnightMare frames all ought to have still been falling + going under their drivers' last-inputted commands. Besides, if people's bodies freeze in place and leaning forward with your arms is how you make a KnightMare frame accelerate then there's 0% reason to think that the KnightMares would have slowed down while Rolo's Geass was activated.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #93
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I hated this episode. Passionately.

Plot holes aside, Lelouch persuading Rollo to cooperate with him early on was so much bull-crack. I was expecting the gun to be empty and Lelouch to nail him with a permanent slave Geass - yet, he didn't even Geass Rollo when he was staring right at him! What the heck?

Lelouch's plan was dumb, but Gilford was even dumber to let it happen, honor aside - everyone should have known about the Black Rebellion tactic and letting themselves into such a situation was bloody idiotic. Not to mention Zero's officers were RIGHT THERE ON THE PLATFORM WITH THE BRITANNIANS!

Let's not talk about the ridiculousness of the surfboard, my golly gee. -_-

The twist at the end (Lelouch Geassing one of the Gaston Knights) was totally predictable.

I was so infuriated by how much this episode waned I read up the summaries for Episode 6,7,8 - I'm now considering dropping the show. Sunrise is back to its own dirty tricks again.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #94
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, like I mentioned, I think what I'm going to do now that I've got the suspense of seeing Episode 4 out of my system is just download a huge stretch of 'em ... let's say 5 through 10 ... and then watch those in one sitting. I'm not angry -- and definitely not outraged as you appear to be -- so I'll keep watching the show, sure, but I agree that Sunrise is really disappointing me here.

I'm sure Mcsweeney feels the same way as me, that the more I see of Geass, the more ashamed I am of plugging Goro Taniguchi as the genius who gave us the PlanetES anime. :x Yeah, he did give us Planetes, and yeah, the Planetes anime is (imo) better than the manga (which is still absolutely awesome), but it's starting to feel so, so much like Planetes was a fluke success of Sunrise's and as a company they're really not much better than -- dare I say it? -- Gainax. :x
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #95
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Too much of R2 involves stealing plot ideas from R1, this episode was the fourth to have "copypasta" and won't be the last, we'll be having much more with episodes 6 - 8. The twist at the end of Episode 5 might impress you; at first I was surprised at it but looking at the reactions of everyone it's just going to introduce more unnecessary wangst/drama and delay the anime from every getting out of Japan.

Back during Geass I, I felt Cornelia would die around Episode 18, and it seems Schneizel might not even die in this season either because everything up to Episode 15 is projected to be conquest of Japan stuff. The Knight of Rounds, who were supposed to be busy with Europe, suddenly rush back to Japan to fight Zero? What?

The only way I'll be eager to watch more Geass right now is if Cornelia joins; if the summaries are any prophecy of the future, I will drop this show at Episode 7 or 8.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #96
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This just in. Nightmare of Nunally's manga just revealed C.C's origins! Might not be canon to the anime (probably isn't) but still interesting - She's Joan of Arc.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #97
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's fucking retarded.

Just letting you know I'm downloading Geass R2 Ep5 today when it comes out but have no intention of watching it. As mentioned before, I'll wait until maybe the next 10 or so episodes are out before I start up again, and if on a 10-episode splurge the show still pisses me off and strikes me as contrived, then I'll just drop it altogether.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #98
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

As I've said before, my laptop was destroyed a couple weeks ago which really hurt me in terms of getting work down/preparing for exams, but I also lost my way of getting torents. So, I've been watching Geass on several streaming websites - I've got to vent how annoyingly competitive these guys are. They're smart to only put ads in their YouTube/Veoh uploads so people can watch their private videos, but at the same time, they're doing weekly ads for subbed episodes that they haven't even gotten subbed yet. In the past (last week) I even went to a site that didn't have the RAW uploaded.

I guess they're waiting for [gg] or Eclipse, but from what I've seen they're ambivalent to quality and just want to put out whoever gets there first. So why the delay?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #99
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Not a bad episode! I was much more impressed than last week, though almost all of the twists seemed intuitive to me so anything that wasn't spoiled wasn't unexpected. A bit of a filler episode, true, but several humps have been vaulted.

And the mountain one I disliked has now reared its ugly head.

Note to Talon - you are wise to hold back on this episode. This, and the next four, are probably going to be best watched in a row.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #100
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Someone just gave a fantastic explanation for why Lelouch is bad at sports.

As we all know, when in his Zero costume he's like the black King chess piece incarnated. To further compound the metaphor, Lelouch is bad a sports and can't move very well in a parallel to the King only being able to move a single space at a time on the chess board, whereas the Queens (Suzaku and Kallen) can go all over the place with incredible endurance.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime