UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Code Geass

Just saw episode twenty two...and, jeez, it's a major improvement from the last six or so episodes. Absolutely huge improvement; next week should be quite impressive.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Code Geass

I just got caught up, as well. Not but 15 minutes ago. And I have to add ... wow was Episode 22 amazing.

SPOILERS (copy and paste into Notepad)
I thought the fact that Lelouch is losing control over his Geass was very interesting. I hope they don't magically solve this crisis -- I'd love to see Lelouch grapple with this sudden disability throughout the remainder of the series.

I thought that the consequence of his lost Geass was also pretty interesting. I felt genuinely sorry for the pitiable Euphemia when she shuddered, "I don't want to kill Japanese " ... and then shrieked ... and then succumbed to the Geass. Very creepy, very tragic.

I think it's interesting how the non-Japanese Knights (Diethard, Raksharta) were pretty much convinced that Zero pulled this stunt off in order to solidify his claim to being Japan's savior, whereas the Japanese Knights were at a loss for words as to what could have brought about such genocide and more naively followed Zero into the aftermath thinking he had been betrayed. Definitely suggests that there will be a schism within the Order between the Japanese and the non-Japanese.

I thought it was interesting how the Emperor laughed monstrously and shouted into his Heavens-chamber, "THAT IDIOT HAS FINALLY DONE IT!" By wording it like that, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that he's not only aware Lelouch is Zero, he's not only aware Lelouch has been using his Geass, but he's aware that Lelouch has lost control over it. Verrrrrry interesting. It looks like my previous theory (about the Emperor being a Geass user himself) might be wrong, if all Geass users wind up like Mao and Lelouch in the end. Of course, if Lelouch overcomes his Geass problem by next episode , then I guess the bets are back on as to whether or not the Emperor wields the power of a Geass or not.

I think the Empress (the little girl in Kyoto ... she hasn't yet been confirmed as the Empress, has she?) was pretty cool. Well, let me rephrase: I am glad that we got to see her do anything besides sit behind venetian blinds and look like a Native American girl.

Why can't all episodes of Code Geass be like this one was? This reminds me a lot of the earlier episodes -- jam-packed with dramatic crises that spawn so many questions.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Agreed in full. I think Geass' middle episodes were meant to touch on shounen stereotypes/stock situations like the "Lone Island" incident and the "same mysterious power" character. Twenty two was fudgin' awesome, and it looks like next week will be all the more touching. I've got a vague idea of what is to come, but I'll likely be surprised.

To clarify some things, regarding what Fake Okouchi said (wasn't that helpful this week):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87

I thought the fact that Lelouch is losing control over his Geass was very interesting. I hope they don't magically solve this crisis -- I'd love to see Lelouch grapple with this sudden disability throughout the remainder of the series.

FO just said, "it will be overcome". He didn't specify what this means or who overcomes it (that is, Lelouch or someone under the influence) but it's possible given Euphemia's early resistance that the latter might be the case.

Quote:

I think it's interesting how the non-Japanese Knights (Diethard, Raksharta) were pretty much convinced that Zero pulled this stunt off in order to solidify his claim to being Japan's savior, whereas the Japanese Knights were at a loss for words as to what could have brought about such genocide and more naively followed Zero into the aftermath thinking he had been betrayed. Definitely suggests that there will be a schism within the Order between the Japanese and the non-Japanese.
It's just my impression, but I think the soldiers (Toudou, Four Holy Swords, Kallen) were convinced something like this would happen, while Ougi was more optimistic. Villetta has been confusing his convictions; he was the first guy to recommend Zero, but I think not knowing his identity is really giving him some stress. Perhaps he could betray Lelouch? I think it's possible, but I'm not sure who he would go to; Euphemia and Cornelia look like soon-to-be casualties but Schneizel could still be alive.

Quote:

I thought it was interesting how the Emperor laughed monstrously and shouted into his Heavens-chamber, "THAT IDIOT HAS FINALLY DONE IT!" By wording it like that, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that he's not only aware Lelouch is Zero, he's not only aware Lelouch has been using his Geass, but he's aware that Lelouch has lost control over it. Verrrrrry interesting. It looks like my previous theory (about the Emperor being a Geass user himself) might be wrong, if all Geass users wind up like Mao and Lelouch in the end. Of course, if Lelouch overcomes his Geass problem by next episode, then I guess the bets are back on as to whether or not the Emperor wields the power of a Geass or not.

The Emperor does indeed know the truth, and he was ecstatic that Lelouch took such a move, which makes me think he didn't know Lelouch lost control. A magazine called "moot" that gave accurate CG spoilers said the Emperor wouldn't mind pitting Britannia's might against a "worthy opponent", so he might be rooting for Lelouch when this act in the story finally ends.

Quote:

I think the Empress (the little girl in Kyoto ... she hasn't yet been confirmed as the Empress, has she?) was pretty cool. Well, let me rephrase: I am glad that we got to see her do anything besides sit behind venetian blinds and look like a Native American girl.
Kaguya is just a Japanese Princess; she's blood-related to Suzaku, but otherwise we know little about here.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There's no such thing as "just a Japanese princess" in Japanese history, dude. (Edited for relative unimportance compared to next point)

Also, you just gave away a massive spoiler by telling me her name is Kaguya. But I'm not upset, since you probably know nothing about Japanese mythology and literary history. Check out the following (all the same topic, but different words to search by):
- Kaguya-hime
- Princess Kaguya
- Taketori Monogatari
- The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter

Click that last one, as it seems to be paydirt (if you're not familiar with the story). You should know understand why ...
a) she is a damned important character,
b) how she relates to C.C. (presumably "the people of the Moon" from the original legend being crafted to fit Geass), and
c) why she's always hiding behind bamboo! (no joke, the original Kaguya hid from the gaze of men, too)

You can tell your source, Talon sent ya.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Also, you just gave away a massive spoiler by telling me her name is Kaguya.
I did? Didn't that old fellow call her that at the end of twenty-two?

Regarding her name-significance, there's some of that in Geass but I'm not sure how it relates yet. The Gawain + Lancelot device might imply, "Suzaku kills Lelouch" but it might be arbitary like calling Lancelot's special engine the "Yggdrasil Drive". Then again, there was a possibly huge fudging spoiler that I had to edit out of my post, given that if it IS true it would be a LOT more significant than Kaguya's name alone. As in, it could legitimize her name -> action significance.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I will watch the rest of this eventually to continue my quest for naked Shirley.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, the delay's official now. After Episode 23 comes out this week, we can all think of Geass as "concluded" until the summer.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #8

OMFGOMFGOMFGOMFGOMFGOMFGOMFGOMFGOMFG

i fucking hate this. have to wait a month for this series to end. jesus. BAH. GOGO LULU

shit.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Don't want to hear it. You have to wait two months; we've had to wait five. If I'm mistaken, and you've also been following the show since its inception ... then you're really late to the party! ^_^; Where were you three months ago? Post! Be merry!

Oh well, I'm not too pissed off about the delay. The show was only just beginning to get good (again, after a long middle haul of horseshit) with episodes 22 and 23. I forget how much I liked 21 and 20, but I think I liked them a fair amount, too. Oh well. Not too excited for 24 and 25, but yeah, I would appreciate some Season 1 closure and to see ...

- what the hell Jeremiah is doing in a tank
- to what extent Lelouch's father knows about Geasses
- who V.V. is, and how many other C.C.'s there are (is there one for every letter of the English alphabet?)

By the way, somebody care to explain this to me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: 100% correct or a bunch of balogna?
In episode 23, it is revealed that C.C. has apparently been talking to Marianne [Lelouch's mother] herself, via an unknown method.
Yeah, we've seen C.C. talking to herself quite a bit (one that comes to mind is the episode where they're in the submarine underwater and she gets pissed off at the Black Knights and walks off into the dark corridor muttering to herself and seeming to hold a conversation with a second identity); but since when did Episode 23 confirm that it was Marianne? Is this one fan's energetic speculation that he is (immorally) passing off as fact on Wiki? Or is there some actual proof for this like an interview with Sunrise or even the mention of Marianne's name?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

C.C. calls the person she's talking to "Marianne" in twenty three, and the spoilers indicate, with one notable exception (during the "God Island" incident) that C.C. has been speaking to Marianne the whole time. Which, given some of her quirks, explains C.C.'s reactions to what the formerly unknown disembodied entity was saying (most likely teasing her about getting together with Lelouch - mothers ).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Is there any further-specific evidence to suggest whether:
a) C.C. is communicating with Marianne as a separate existence (e.g. Marianne is in Heaven, Marianne is somewhere else on Earth, etc.), or
b) C.C. is communicating with Marianne as a conjoined existence? (e.g. Marianne's mind and/or soul were transfused into the body of a young girl known as C.C., and so now two consciences occupy the same frame and may even share the same memories and thoughts)

If it's B ... then that picture of Lelouch squeezing C.C.'s tush gives Code Geass a whole other angle. XD
Old 06-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

More evidence toward the former. Emperor Wakamoto talks to Clovis in the same manner C.C. does to Marianne, and that "dawn" room we always see him in, while located in the Royal Imperial Palace of Britannia, exists somewhere between dimensions.

Also, I have a theory. After seeing GaoGaiGar, which was also by Sunrise and featured Jupiter prominently in the second story arc, I've got to say there's no such thing as "Jupiterians", no one can live on the planet, but it's actually the location of an source of infinite power (or, ZA POWAA). Perhaps that's where the human 'heaven' or at least 'underworld' is located.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, C.C. has been suggested (via the visual cutscenes) to be a member of an alien race, right? So even if you're right about Jupiter being where human souls go to rest, and if the Chamber of Light (or whatever it's called) really is nothing more than a doorway to Jupiter (i.e. tons of swirling yellow gas), we're still going to see Sunrise tell us that life exists on Jupiter.

Unless ........ C.C. and all the others are nothing more than the incarnations of deceased humans. But (imo) that'd be really lame, and also require the population of C.C.'s race to be increasing at an amazing rate and overpopulating the galaxy. Considering how rare C.C.'s people seem to be/are ... I don't like that.

We'll see.

I just want to see more C.C. I'm not usually an ass man, but da~amn is that girl well-drawn!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

C.C. is a (confirmed) former human, and one who has lived for several hundred years. Some clever folks figured out that the castle in the second ending of Geass featuring C.C. exists in Finland, so she's believed to be Finnish and immigrated to the "New World" (what would have been America) before it became the centre of Britannian power.

Oh...funnily enough, the Europan Union of Geass has its headquarters not in Brussels, but Moscow. :11
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So they're not aliens. Check. Where was all this confirmed again? Remember, 4chan fan speculation does not equal confirmation. -.- I'd like to see the interview you yourself saw/read which confirms that she's human, since they sure as heck didn't say so in Eps 1-23.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #16

woot. only like 8 more days till 24 and 25. yey
Old 07-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Heh.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Fun fact: Sunrise scripted and story-boarded an episode twenty six of Code Geass with an Evangelion-like, "psychological" ending. It was a contingency just in case the regular series wasn't popular enough for a second season.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Fun fact: Sunrise scripted and story-boarded an episode twenty six of Code Geas with an Evangelion-like, "psychological" ending. It was a contingency just in case the regular series wasn't popular enough for a second season.
Not heh. :x
Old 07-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Bandai confirms Code Geass license for North America

Great. Just great. I'm going to freak if Your-Mom or Shinsen Subs quits subbing the series because of this licensure, since I absolutely absolutely DESPISE gg. If I have to download gg subs to finish this show, I will scream.

What worries me even more is that this show is too "Evangelion" for the mass market. People who love Eva already have no reason to shell out the big bucks for purchasing Geass, while people (like me) who absolutely hated Eva have no reason to waste one penny on this series. (Yeah, it's entertaining, but I definitely wouldn't purchase it as it stands today at Episode 23. It'll take a miracle to get me to want to rate this show as a Silver, never mind as a Gold.) I say that I am "worried" not because I care about Geass sales as they pertain to Sunrise but because I care about Geass sales as they pertain to Bandai. If this series flops in the American market, Bandai will lose even more of their marketing clout -- and I'd say they've been pretty anemic of late as it is. No need to weaken them further, not unless you actually want less competition between the studios -- competition which drives down the prices we have to pay.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #21
McSweeney
Soul Badge

big bad birtha: Try installing this font.

Dopple: Go into Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages tab, and in Supplemental Language Support install files for East Asian languages.

THEN, once you've done that, go back in there and click the "Advanced" tab, and set the "language for non Unicode programs" to Japanese. Restart and try to play it.

Talon: I don't remember the name of of Fee's other ship. All I know is Toy Box, and of course VON BRAUN.

NASA is dropping the ball on ambitious space missions. We need some other country to step up and start going to Mars and Jupiter and shit in my lifetime. I want my affordable (yet sporty) personal spaceship!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Toy Box 2
Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #23
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Hey I'm retarded! This isn't even the right thread! Oh well I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

Toy Box 2? That makes me think of Bobba Fett and his Slave II.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Code Geass DVD #7 came out second this week in pre-order sales.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney
Toy Box 2? That makes me think of Bobba Fett and his Slave II.
My attachment says it all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime