UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #26
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

...I cannot take Edgeworth's voice seriously.

At all.

(Seriously every time he opens his mouth I want to scream. He sounds like some evil overlord.)

BUT THE BEST GIRL/SHIP HAS ARRIVED:

Spoiler: show

God I forgot how much I used to support these two together. Look at the adorkable cuties~

The change they made of Phoenix showing her a book of all the lawyers he tried to get to defend her was touching too. *clutches heart* <3

I also really like the ED, both musically and visually. Such a bittersweet interpretation of Maya's relationship with her sister.

Not big on the OP, seems like generic shounen yaoi-bait sung by the cast of Free!

Kinda worried about the budget/pacing so far. I would like it if they threw in an original case for old fans to puzzle over, but I doubt there'll be time for that.

(...At this point I'm mainly just watching for more moe Maya-chan. *shot*)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Playing with the cell phone band, isn't that a tell of a girl in love?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Having only seen Episode 01, but still wanting to weigh in on your guys' discussion:

The anime team ships Phoenix x Maya and I love it so much. #suckitmuyo
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #29
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Playing with the cell phone band, isn't that a tell of a girl in love?
Eau my. That makes things a bit awkward, considering...

The person she's speaking to is her sister. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Having only seen Episode 01, but still wanting to weigh in on your guys' discussion:

The anime team ships Phoenix x Maya and I love it so much. #suckitmuyo
Tbf I'd say they ship Phoenix x Edgeworth just as much. ;P *shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #30
Heather
Naga's Voice

Why are we shipping Pheonix with people? He's the Ace Attorney, after all! *shot until nothing remains*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #31
deoxys
Fog Badge

If you ship anything but Nick and Maya, you're just wrong.

Maya is a precious sweetheart waifu that needs to be protected by all means necessary #ProtectMayaAtAllCosts
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:46 AM   #32
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I ship PhoenixXMaya, but only when Maya is channeling Mia.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #33
Chalis
Activating Rampage

PhoenixXMaya OTP

I liked this episode a bit more than the first, despite the lack of a trial. Not much to comment on though, hope it begins to pick up soon.

Just realized I like the ED, though not as much as the OP

Also hey Edgeworth's voice is perfect :p

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #34
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
My thoughts, short

Very tired, and it's a work night....

1) I have not played the games so this is all new to me.

2) It's a pretty good show! I'm two episodes in, but it's fun so far
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just watched Episode 02. Thoughts!

Voices: I'm still not very happy with the Ueda Yuuji casting for Phoenix, but now we can toss Edgeworth onto the pile too for miscast voice actors. Or at least in Edgeworth's case it's moreso a miscast vocal performance. The way he voices Edgeworth is just too villainous and dramatic. Mayoi / Maya, though, I'm quite happy with. Actually, let's move right along to her.

Maya: I quite like Anime Maya. She isn't 100% the same as Video Game Maya, but I blame a lot of that on time restrictions. This Maya feels slightly less goofy (though that may come in time) and slightly more girly, but she works really, really well still and I'm sold. I enjoy the voice actress and her performance, I enjoy the writing, I enjoy the animation ... one still that really got to me was:

the part where Phoenix realizes that the way he felt when he was on trial in school 10+ years ago is likely similar to how Maya feels right now. They cut to Maya in the jail cell, and the way she looks is just ... hrnggh! Poor thing!

Another animation bit I really liked, one that's new to the anime, was:

the rain-soaked Phoenix dusted with cherry blossom petals.

That whole scene was just great, and in part it pulled from the game but in part it was brand-new stuff that was just done really well.

Budget: To be honest, the show looks really great for what it is. It's not a "ufotable presents Fate/Zero", no, but given Capcom's near-bankruptcy and how this anime was an obvious moneygrab, once we saw the trailer last year I never expected it to look near as good as it does now. It's still not the PW anime of my dreams, no, but it looks damn good for a throwaway production that likely didn't get much funding. Perhaps this just once again proves that where there's passion in animators' hearts there's quality.

While the music could be a bit more, I dunno ... present, when I do notice it it's nice to hear some simple remixes of the music we loved from the games.

And despite my complaints about casting choices, all of the voice actors so far have done at least a decent job with their lines. No one's been terrible.

Dick Gum-Ssu: One thing that's been fun for me is to see how the localization we grew up with differs from the source material. Dick Gumshoe's "pal" and similar vocal mannerisms make us perceive him a certain way. It's been interesting to see how in the original Japanese, for instance, his vocal quirk is the not-altogether-rare ssu sentence ender, where instead of saying desu/"dess" he says ssu/"su". This is something I associate with guys who try to sound cool or with fictional guys who are cool (e.g. Ryouma in The Prince of Tennis). So to hear Dick Gumshoe saying it sure is interesting! ^^;

Giveaways: I was cautiously optimistic after Episode 01, but Episode 02 has me scared that the anime team is too eager to broadcast who the culprit is before the case even starts. They did it with the bad guy in Case 01, but then again, so did the actual game. But then with Case 02 they've gone ahead and already given away who the bad guy is! Now I know, I know: villains in PW games are usually pretty obvious once you meet them. (Not always! But usually.) But it's like ... you're already taking away the fun of investigating the crime scene and presenting the evidence from the television viewer, so you have to at least leave them with something! Otherwise they're going to be bored by this crime drama. I feel like the anime team should not have given away who Mia's killer was, and I hope that they won't give away the next two cases' killers ahead of time either.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #36
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

@Giveaways (Spoilers for Case 02, current case in the anime)

Well, assuming by Case 02 you're referring to Turnabout Sisters, the anime's actually done a better job of hiding who the culprit is xd In the game, the opening scene reveals his entire face, whereas so far we've only heard his voice and seen his jawline in the anime. Though I do agree that for the anime they should've removed any trace of him altogether since we don't have as much guess about when compared to the games.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh I didn't remember that. :o But yes, I agree with what you said in the end. (Which I guess is me re-agreeing with myself, given the views expressed. lol)
Old 04-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Currently halfway through Episode 03, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record:
  1. This production, while better than feared, is not great.
  2. So far the anime has been inferior to the game upon which it is based in nearly every possible way.
Fans have always wanted an anime adaptation to steer Mom 'n' Pop to, people whom you could never hope to get to play the original GBA/DS games. But this adaptation simply doesn't do the games enough justice to be worth recommending to Mom 'n' Pop. You might as well just summarize the case files yourself for them with the help of a Wikia or recent playthrough that's fresh in your memory.

While I'm glad for the effort, and I know we'd all be complaining were they have to done what I am about to say, knowing what we know now about this anime I wish that they would've instead gone and done miscellaneous, made-up cases that take place between the events of the main series games. That way you wouldn't have had newcomers attempting to use it as a stand-in for the games -- "No! You still need to go back and play those first! " -- and you wouldn't have had veterans so disappointed by the adaptation of Game 1 that, thus far, is failing to match the hopes we've had for years.

To be clear, I don't think the anime is bad. I'd give it sight unseen probably a 6/10, maybe even a 7/10 since it'd be novel to me. But relative to the games upon which it's based, this anime is toeing the line between a 5 and a 6. It isn't bad, but it just ...

This must be how Fate/stay night fans felt when we all made our first exposure to the franchise the Deen anime. orz *sigh*
Old 04-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is this really a thing?

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-24-2016, 12:51 AM   #40
Heather
Naga's Voice

Maya and her burgers are very much a thing, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Finished Episode 03. Giving credit where credit is due, the scene in Redd White's office was tense. Not as exciting as in the game, but the animation team still managed to turn what should be a tense scene into one with the limited tools at their disposal. Good job.

The anime doesn't come out and state that Phoenix loses the cuff link evidence the way that the game does. Part of my tension while viewing came from the part where Phoenix drops the cuff link on White's desk, and I'm not sure that's tension that your average television viewer is going to have as well. The most insightful ones might, maybe, but the anime doesn't have time to make a show of things.

I was going to write more yesterday but ran out of time. Since then, I've also just gone and watched Episode 04!

Episode 04 was fine, just like the two before it. It's horridly pressed for time, the animation's often weak, etc, etc. Let's try not to beat horses into gelatin. The positive highlights for me were:

1. Getting to see Mia in Maya's body in anime form. As sexy as ever! lol @ how they make the judge blush when he's speaking of Maya's different "aura" today. #ITSTHEMAMMARIES

2. Seeing the crime scene played out in animated form. Though because Redd White was just so monstrous, I had to avert my gaze a lot after the first unfortunate time of seeing his hideously gleeful face as he killed Mia.

3. Getting to see how the original script portrays Phoenix and Maya's relationship developing. In English we have her giving him the nickname "Nick," but apparently in the original Japanese she simply goes from calling him Bengoshi-san "Mr. Lawyer" to calling him by his last name ... with the -kun honorific attached. ;o This has something of a close/intimate implication, as is soon mirrored by Mia's ghost also calling him Naruhodo-kun. It's both affectionate and familiar, which demonstrates just how quickly Maya has elevated their relationship from "strangers" to "friends."

The limited sneak peek for the next story arc at the end (the one shown before the ED credits, not the official sneak peek clip after them), I think that was sort of a misstep if the team's goal is to make this anime for newcomers. 'Cause like, no newcomer is going to understand much less enjoy that very limited sneak peek. It can only excite players familiar with the story. I think they should've shown a bit more, to be honest. Would've made for a perfectly acceptable cliffhanger if Episode 04's final five minutes had covered the prologue to Case 3 in its entirety. Have Maya watching The Steel Samurai on Saturday morning TV, have them talking about it, have the news broken that Hammer died and that Powers is being charged with his murder, etc. You can end the episode as Phoenix prepares to head down to the precinct.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #42
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
Maya and her burgers are very much a thing, yes.
So every time they say "日本" it gets translated as "California"?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #43
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
So every time they say "日本" it gets translated as "California"?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm familiar with that comic. You can "sort of" get away with recasting Japan as Los Angeles' Little Tokyo, kimonos as bathrobes (lolz) and a kotatsu as a coffee table, but there's no way in heck "onigiri" is gonna pass for "doughnut" or, heaven forbid, "hamburger".

That's why I'm insanely curious if Viz Media is that brash with their translations.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #45
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I don't know what Viz has to do with Phoenix Wright, but back in the day, Viz actually flipped manga pages so that they'd read left to right for their localizations (Even A Monkey Can Draw Manga is one example).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 AM   #46
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Is this really a thing?

Japanese words in Japanese games are scary. It's different, and we can't have that. Capcom's localizing team has always bugged me with that shit. I wonder what Okami would be like if they went that direction with it. I'm going to have to find a new sub group for the show, because I don't like hearing "miso-ramen" and seeing "hamburgers".

I'm watching this show myself, but I keep putting off posting. This and Boku Dake make me want to go to Japan just to murder some people. Apparently it's very easy to frame someone else for murder.

This is my first exposure to Ace Attorney. I never played the game because the whole shounen lawyer battles thing seemed silly to me. I'm actually waiting for main guy to go "OBJECTION" and the court explodes. The show itself is okay, but it's not really exciting me or anything. It's just there. I imagined a different voice for main guy and rival though. I imagined Naruhodo having a 90's hyperactive mecha protagonist voice, and Mitsurugi having Dio's voice.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #47
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

They're translating "MISO RAMEN" as "HAMBURGER"??
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #48
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I thought Doppel was just being silly by pretending to not know what's going on, but with bbb's comment that he's never played the Ace Attorney games I'm starting to wonder if Doppel hasn't either. So ...

Doppel, the Ace Attorney games are heavily localized. Capcom is one of the gaming companies that really rose to prominence in the West in the late '80s, early '90s. And that is the exact time period where we find heavy localization. Some companies have gotten with the times and preserved the Japanese (whether because they acknowledge that modern audiences are familiar with what a rice ball or a shuriken are, or whether because they have heard the cries of many a weeaboo who requests that all things Nippon be left intact), but in the mid-2000s Capcom was an established company that (apparently) was deeply entrenched in its North American practice of localization. So ...
  • Tokyo became Los Angeles
  • Japan became California
  • various Japanese foods like ramen and onigiri became various American foods like hamburgers
  • English character names were created for all characters
    • Naruhodo Ryuuichi --> Phoenix Wright
    • Mitsurugi Reiji --> Miles Edgeworth
    • Ayasato Chihiro --> Mia Fey
    • Ayasato Mayoi --> Maya Fey
    • Ayasato Harumi --> Pearl Fey
    • and so on and so forth
  • dates and times have been altered in any cases where events take place outside the country and cross various date lines. (For example, in the very first case of the game, originally it's Japan --> New York but in the localized version it's Los Angeles --> Paris, and the times have been changed to match.)
  • honorifics have been exchanged for nicknames or other ways to convey affection, disdain, etc.
There are some things you just can't get away from, though, and these have been left alone:
  • the magatamas that the Fey clan use to power up their spirit channeling abilities are still called magatamas
  • Kurain Village is implied to be in "California" by the sheer fact that it can be reached without taking an airplane to get there, but it is never explicitly stated where the village actually lies and by all visual accounts it would seem to be in the mountains of Japan.
  • Japanese architecture and other imagery has been left intact. No heavy image editing.
  • how the Japanese legal system works
    1. no trial by jury before AA5 because IRL there was no trial by jury in Japan until right around the time of AA4's release; this factors heavily into the finale of AA4
    2. most cases brought before the court end in conviction; it is supposed to be remarkable that a defense lawyer could get his client acquitted, much less rack up a string of wins
So it lends itself to situations like the comic above, where you can clearly see or hear one thing but you're being told it's something else. "We'll leave the image of a rice ball intact because it's too much effort to edit out, but we'll call it a jelly donut in the text. #pokemon" This is the approach taken to localizing the games.

While it's possible that 2010s Capcom has moved away from heavy localization, the Ace Attorney franchise is kind of locked in at this point to the names and concepts its localization has run with. You can't very well change his name back to Ryuuichi now, not when so many people have fallen in love with the franchise and always known him as Phoenix Wright. It'd be much the same as changing Bulbasaur's name to Fushigidane. You could probably change minor items like food and furniture and no one would bat an eye. You could probably change place names like California back to Japan and people would welcome it. But I think the character names are here to stay.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #49
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm aware of the localization...perhaps I've been beating around the bush here and not explicitly saying what I'm surprised about.

That is, I'm shocked the subs are rolling with the game localizations instead of just translating off the script. It seems like a massive dinosaur in this day and age. Though, such regression might be a sign of the times, since you remarked that Diamonds are Forever AKA Diamond is Not Crash has been censored through the subs, which gives me the impression that the dominant sub group now are Crunchy rips and not works done by dedicated sub groups.

I feel like localization like that is easier to get away with in-game, especially with people who are fairly ignorant. Remember Urashima Taro = Rip van Winkel? That was like trying to fit a triangle into a hole for a square - it's not a 1:1 fit, but it works.

But saying hamburger, showing and hearing onigiri - orange is the new black, high is the new low!

I've been fairly immune to this behaviour since the titles I've picked up were not Western localized at the time of sub release, so it's a tingle to see this kind of thing is still around. Even if coincidental, it does sort of parallel that the tide of the TPP is inching ever closer to our sandy shores.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #50
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I think it's more about consistency with the games than anything else. The majority of Western viewers are probably people who have played the games, and I'd say it's very likely the subbers are fans of them as well. Western know the characters by their English names, and probably have become attached to Maya's affinity for burgers, among other things of that nature. The subs are basically acting as if they're a dub script rather than being a true translation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime