UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Games You Want To See on Wii U

It's been one year since the Wii U came out and there's still no word from Nintendo on any plans for a Fatal Frame 5. The last game we got in the United States was Fatal Frame 3 in 2005. It's hard to believe that it's been eight years since then, almost a decade, but it has. ^^; Time flies.

I feel like the Fatal Frame series was meant for the Wii U. If you're not familiar with the game, the premise in super-brief is that you explore haunted houses with only a spiritual camera to protect you; by taking photographs of ghosts, you can shove them several feet away or even temporarily exorcise them. The game thus has two main modes that players toggle between: one mode where the camera hangs down and you explore in a third-person view, the other where the camera is brought up to your face and you peer through the viewfinder, assuming a first-person view. Here is some sample gameplay from the second game in the series ... or rather, from its Wii remake that I only just discovered exists and which APPARENTLY CAME OUT EVERYWHERE EXCEPT THE US :

BORKED

As I think you can see, the series would be perfect for a console like the Wii U. You simply do this:
  • what is shown on television: what is shown when not looking through the viewfinder of the camera. (You can keep the third-person POV if you like, or you can convert the series to a strictly first-person POV if the old way is deemed too disorienting for players once you introduce a second screen for them to be looking at.)
  • what is shown on the Wii U gamepad: the first-person camera view we're accustomed to, with the display contents being whatever the Camera Obscura is pointing at. Even if that's just the floor, someone's shirt, etc.
The Wii U gamepad has motion tracking; you calibrate the gamepad at the start of each game session and that way whatever direction it's pointing at in real life is also the direction it's pointing at in the game. And then, as you pick the "camera" (the gamepad) up and bring it close to your face, and you shift your attention from the television screen to the gamepad screen, it's now as though you're looking through the actual camera. Use the analog sticks on the gamepad to turn around and to walk. Use one of the shoulder buttons to take a picture. Once you're ready to put the camera down ya big scaredy cat and resume looking at the television screen, you just set the gamepad down and resume playing. (Perhaps you can still use the gamepad as your controller but by pressing a button you change what mode the control scheme is in, i.e. what effects the buttons will have when pressed. Or perhaps the gamepad is allocated 100% to camera duty and you need to explore the mansion ordinarily with a Wii nunchuk and a Wiimote. Either one works!)

So you've heard my case for Fatal Frame 5. What about you? What games do you want to see on the Wii U?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

No More Heroes 3, just because I need slightly more Travis Touchdown in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

It would be very nice if the extended delay of South Park: The Stick of Truth would let them bring it over to the Wii U as well, but given the Nintendo reputation of games for kids it's a definite longshot.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

I would LOVE to see Ni no Kuni on the Wii U. I was so dissapointed when I learned it was a PS3 exclusive! If it came for the Wii U, I would've given more consideration to get the console ^^;

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
It would be very nice if the extended delay of South Park: The Stick of Truth would let them bring it over to the Wii U as well, but given the Nintendo reputation of games for kids it's a definite longshot.
You say that like mature games don't make it onto Nintendo consoles. This is a lie and I am sick to the teeth of it. Are we forgetting ZombiiU, a major launch title? What about games like Bayonetta 2, en route?
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Char
Banned

A new Harvest Moon
Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
A new Harvest Moon
Make it Rune Factory and I'm sold.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
fitzawesome
Pokemon Trainer

A new Starfox. The pad could be used as a cockpit view. Sadly I don't think we'll ever see it as I hear Starfox 64 3DS sold poorly.
fitzawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

That's because it was god-awful.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I liked the 3DS Starfox. I have it.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Oh wait, I was thinking of Starfox Command.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
fitzawesome
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Oh wait, I was thinking of Starfox Command.
Pretty much all the Starfox games outside the SNES and N64 ones are terribad. I still haven't gotten over the disappointment of Starfox Adventures (sadly not even David Wise could save that one).
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

New Fatal Frame title coming to the Wii U

Quote:
Tecmo Koei and Nintendo are developing the next iteration of horror adventure series Fatal Frame for Wii U, the companies announced according to Famitsu.

A release date or title was not revealed, according to a translation by Gematsu, who reports that Tecmo Koei plans to expand upon the Fatal Frame IP with a series of multimedia projects. The projects include a live-action film that is in production with Kadokawa Corporation "for a fall release" and directed by Mari Asato (Bilocation).

A comic by writer Shin Kibayashi (Kodansha, Kindaichi Case Files) is also in the works and a novel from author Eiji Otsuka (Multiple Personality Detective Psycho, The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service) is slated for an August release.

Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly recently launched on the PlayStation Network last May, with series director Makoto Shibata taking to the PlayStation blog to discuss the game's origins. Fatal Frame 3: The Tormented, the third title in Tecmo's survival horror franchise, was release on PSN as a PlayStation 2 Classic in October.

We reached out to Nintendo and Tecmo Koei representatives for more information about the new Fatal Frame Wii U game.
Yes.

A Fatal Frame game is one of very few things that could sell me on a Wii U. Here's hoping that in addition to a Western release of a fifth Fatal Frame we also (finally! @_@) get an official Western release for Fatal Frame 4 as well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Banjo-Kazooie.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
Heather
Naga's Voice

Starfox 3DS was the one I could actually play, I couldn't do any of the C-button maneuvers on the N-64 one because my fingers couldn't reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #16
fitzawesome
Pokemon Trainer

Oh wow I guess I'm getting what I wanted with the new Starfox announcement. I really hope it's just like 64. None of the on foot bits from Adventure please.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Golden Sun! Impossible, I know. A new Fire Emblem?

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #18
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
In a similar fashion to how Talon was describing a Fatal Frame game working, I feel like a Metroid game would work great on the WiiU. For anyone who played any of the Prime trilogy, you know what I mean. Having a scan visor open at all times, or at least more accessible, would help things move along much more smoothly and quicker, meaning the game would perhaps be allowed to surprise you with enemies and whatever else a little more. I feel this could make for some much more intense play. Perhaps this would allow them to redeem Other M's style and make it a better game. (Just lift and point the Gamepad to switch to first-person! Or, perhaps, keep different viewpoints going on each screen) So yeah... not really that much different from what Talon already pointed out. And, despite what others say, I don't honestly think the hardware is all that lacking and could probably show off the more realistic style of Metroid fairly well. The biggest problem with one coming out is that since they tend to be larger games, and usually put a system's graphical abilities to the full test, it might be a bit costly to produce. (Not that I know what I'm talking about, but it's just a guess.) And the games tend to sell poorly with their home audience, as well, I hear. So I would like one, but it doesn't seem likely at the moment.

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games