UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #301
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Coolz8
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post

Oh wow. Very surprised you started with season II first. o.o; And seen the Disappearance movie to boot. =O

Just wait then, it'll be interesting to hear your responses after the fact. ^~

The creators tried to induce more curiosity about season 1 by mixing all the episodes... I found the right sequence :3

Spoiler: show

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Coolz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #302
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You're doing EVERYTHING WRONG and I can no longer be silent. -_-;

Now that I've vented, that is all.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #303
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It's a bit hard to believe, maybe Talon, but there was a time long ago when I couldn't take suspense and read spoilers on Wikipedia prior to watching an anime. Surely, as an adult I don't do it, but this is perhaps a bit more bizarre a situation.

I mean, Endless Eight before...everything else. That's like pulling one's nails out with plastic scissors.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #304
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You're doing EVERYTHING WRONG
At this point, does it even matter? ^^; Normally I'd agree about watching S1 in broadcast order... But in this case, I say heck, it's too late, so why not go the whole mile? XD So long as he enjoys it~
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #305
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

"Darth Vader revealed he was Luke's dad. So what? We knew that from episode 3."

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #306
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Quote:

At this point, does it even matter? ^^; Normally I'd agree about watching S1 in broadcast order... But in this case, I say heck, it's too late, so why not go the whole mile? XD So long as he enjoys it~
The older Mikuru made an event reference to Disappearance. Star-shaped mole

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #307
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

I think she also made a warning to Endless Eight? .-.

--------

--------

Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #308
deoxys
Fog Badge

This is hilarious.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #309
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Yuki :3
BORKED

--------

--------

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #310
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

So now that I take it you've seen the Closed Space arc, what'd you think of it? 83
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #311
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Quote:
So now that I take it you've seen the Closed Space arc, what'd you think of it? 83
Kyon Kissed Haruhi! I'm really confused... But he was sweet :3

--------

--------

Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #312
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolz8 View Post
Kyon Kissed Haruhi! I'm really confused... But he was sweet :3
The one kiss to save the world. ^~

What'd you think of the Asakura vs. Yuki battle?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #313
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Quote:

The one kiss to save the world. ^~

What'd you think of the Asakura vs. Yuki battle?
I felt as if I could feel some of Yuki's pain when she got stabbed. And with glasses or without glasses, she looks cute either way :3 ^^

EDIT:I'm only about to watch part 2 of the remote island syndrome. At first, I suspected that they were only acting to satify Haruhi's thirst for a mystery, but everything seems too real...

--------

--------

Last edited by Coolz8; 04-14-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #314
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Bump

Haruhi: Ok then. If we lose, We'll give you Yuki!
Me: NOOOO!!!!!
Just one more episode and it's all finished... Sigh...
BORKED
Ahead in time...
BORKED
BORKED

--------

--------

Last edited by Coolz8; 04-19-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #315
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I was watching this one TV show with some Japanese trivia, and apparently the skin on the shamisen instrument is traditionally taken from a cat. Wikipedia confirms:

Quote:
The shamisens of professional players are often taut in cat skin as it is more delicate and expensive. It is said that the best sound quality is produced from a shamisen bound in cat skin. In the past a special type of paper was used and recently various types of plastics are being tried. On the skin of some of the best shamisen, the position of the cat's nipples can still be seen.
Kinda gives you a whole new view on poor Shamisen's name, now doesn't it? ^^; (What was Tanigawa thinking!?)
Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #316
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wasn't there a pig named Tonkatsu in Clannad? I forgot, but that kind of macabre naming appears from time to time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #317
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Botan, but you have the right idea. It's a word for "boar" but specifically refers to boar meat in certain stews. It's also the word for "button" which is what I first thought his name was going for when I watched Clannad. Didn't learn the other reading until some time earlier this year or last year.

Tonkatsu is pork Japanese-style cutlet.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #318
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I read about this a long time ago. That's why Kyon acted so shocked when Haruhi chose the name. XP
Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #319
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan animé in the works

...I'd rather have season three.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #320
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I thought that was a joke? It's actually real?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-07-2015, 01:48 AM   #321
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You know, I read Volume 10 five years ago but I went to BakaTsuki today and found out all the novel material is gone. Where can I get it? Is there anymore translated material available since then?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-07-2015, 01:57 AM   #322
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
You know, I read Volume 10 five years ago but I went to BakaTsuki today and found out all the novel material is gone. Where can I get it? Is there anymore translated material available since then?
Yuki sent me it before, but I might be able to send it to you via Skype.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #323
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When the 2006 anime wrapped up, I hungered for more Haruhi. I imported all of the then-available books in Japanese and prayed for an English language release. If any book series could pull it off, it was Haruhi. And sure enough, Haruhi is one of the very few light novel series to make it all the way over to North America for ten volumes straight. But despite my growing collection of Japanese and English Haruhi books, they sat on my bookshelf, gathering dust. Too busy with other pursuits and recreations, I tabled my goal for nine, long years ...

Last year, I decided it was high time I read the Haruhi books. Beginning in May and over the course of the next few months, I read all of Books 1 and 2 and the first three chapters of Book 3. By early September, I needed a break. Not wanting to burn myself out on such a beloved series, and certainly not on the doorstep of the much-anticipated Disappearance, I opted to put the books down for other pursuits. The intention was only a month, but before I knew it an entire year had passed.

Having just resumed a few days ago, I am polishing off Book 3 as we speak and can't wait to read Book 4.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Usually, the source material is better than the adaptation. Infrequently, it's only as good. And rarely, it's worse. The Suzumiya Haruhi books aren't strictly worse than their anime adaptation, but there's a lot to love from the anime that I sorely miss while reading these books. In essence, things that television does better than books, the anime does better than the novels. (Go figure.) And things that books tend to do better than TV series and other visual media, the Haruhi novels do better than Kyoto Animation could do with the anime. I'm very glad to be reading the books, but I don't want to shy away from discussion of how the anime does some things better, either. So I thought it'd be fun, or useful, or both, to explore a few examples which make the case for why the one or the other is the better way to go.

In the next few posts, I'll be providing some examples. Most of these come from Book 1. I had wanted to discuss them last year and made preparations to do so last summer, but they fell victim to much the same forces as many of my other delayed posts. Still, I'd love to discuss these examples even now, one year later.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #324
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dialogue is one of the most important ways a writer can convey his characters' personalities to the reader. Their vocabulary, their grammar, their intonation ... how they say the words, how they don't say the words ... you can convey so much information with language, it's no wonder that dialogue comprises so much of the stories we as humans tell.

Well, as we all know, there's more to dialogue than just words. Volume, pitch, tone, and timbre, these all influence how we interpret the words that someone says. Whether a gruff, burly man grunts, "Come here," or a seductive, sultry woman of the night says "Come here," or a chipper little 8-year old girl says, "Come here," these can all sound so different from one another. And it's up to the writer to convey how they're supposed to sound with words.

Yeah ... about that ... ^^;

Tanigawa has honestly written some of my most beloved characters of all time. But one thing I'm finding shockingly lacking in the books is the depth of character in the spoken word. As compared with the anime, the characters' lines in the books feel ... how to put it into words ... well here, let me just show you:

BORKED

Here, you have Mikuru's scream from the Suzumiya Haruhi anime when Haruhi places the Computer Club president's hand firmly on her breast. And the picture above? That's a photograph of the same scene in the book.

Take a look at Mikuru's line in the book. A simple "Ahh!" is all it is. Three letters, one punctuation mark. There's no information there about how loud or quiet her cry is. There's no information about how terrorized or turned on she might be. There's nothing to clue us in as to whether this is a big deal to her or not. Simply that it is a deal. She responds. She goes "Ahh." I'm sorry: "Ahh!"

Now look at the KyoAni version. Yes yes yes, there's something to be said for, "Well, Talon, you're just biased! The anime's the one you saw first!" But that's really neither here nor there, I think. I truly believe that, even if I had read the book first and seen the anime second, I'd be extolling the anime's virtue as a medium which "brings the books to life," much as I did with Fate/Zero. Because just look at Gotou Yuuko's performance there! In just one short utterance, she conveys so much information! The terror! The humiliation! The discomfort! The adorable timbre of Mikuru's voice, the scream that would be burned into our hearts ...! This is the stuff that makes the Suzumiya Haruhi anime so good. Vocal performances like this.

Last edited by Talon87; 09-11-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Spoilers thru Book 1
Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #325
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Another problem the books suffer from -- or rather, the English-language translation of the books suffers from -- is that some character traits which work well in Japanese do not carry over well into English. The most striking of these is Nagato Yuki's brevity of speech.

(Spoilers through Book 1.)

In the original Japanese -- both the books and the anime -- Yuki uses very, very short Japanese. This way of speaking is what is commonly used in Japanese media to convey android speak, perhaps because of its mechanical character or its dedication to efficiency, conveying as much information as possible with as few utterances as possible. The problem in English is that such sharp speech simply isn't possible. We need our filler words in English else we sound foreign or artificial. In Japanese, you can have a character say something like, 「本…読んだ?」 and it works. It's not the most natural thing in the world, but you wouldn't hear someone say that and go "OMG ROBOT!" pointing fingers at the person. But if you were to write the English equivalent, "Book ... read?" it just sounds alien. Which while you might say "Isn't that the goal?" , no, it isn't! Because the goal is to give her alien-appropriate speech while also not giving away just yet that she is in fact an alien. She should say things as an alien would say them ... but she should also not say things only an alien would say. You can't do that in English. A sentence like "Book ... read?" could just as easily mean, "Do you want to read a book?" as it means "Did you read the book?" English and auxiliary words are like peas and carrots, to use a Forrest Gumpism.

Observe: the picture up above. "Did you read the book?" They didn't even go for, "The book ... did you read it?" I think I would have at least done that much, at least preserved the pause in between 本 and 読んだ. But no. With "Did you read the book?", we just have a perfectly natural sentence that, devoid of any audio clues, doesn't help readers to appreciate Yuki's robotic character at all.

It happens a lot. Japanese allows for women to give single-word replies to questions quite frequently all while sounding natural, what with omission of both the topic, particles, and the copula; and so many times Yuki will offer Kyon these one-word replies which so characterize her robotic nature. 「内緒。」 (Literally "Secret," in English "That's secret.") 「いない。」 (Literally "not exist" but in one word, here the English equivalent is "There aren't any.") 「美味しい?」 (Literally, "Tasty?", in English we could just barely scrape by here with the mirror or with "Good?") 「信じて。」 (Literally "Believe" as an imperative, English would require one additional word in "Believe me.") 「いい。」 (Literally "Good," here it's "I'm okay.") 「へいき。」 ("I'm fine.")

Even when it's more than one word, it still sounds so much more brief, yet still so much more natural, than in English. 「今日読んで] (lit. "Read today," in English "Read it today"), or the opening example of 「本読んだ?」

What this comes down to is,
  • you've simply got to get over it when enjoying the books in English
  • I often times find myself back-translating into Japanese in my head, inventing or recalling from memory of the anime the likely Japanese spoken here, just because it sounds better and gives me a better feel for the character
  • the logical endpoint of that feat being, I should probably "git gud" at Japanese and just read the damn books in their original language ^^;
And so it goes. Translation is an exercise in futility if you set for your goal, "Lose no information. Store it in receptacles perfectly natural to the target language." You just can't do it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try! ^^; But it's a frustrating exercise you set for yourself if you insist on losing absolutely nothing in translation while still having everything accurately represented.

One little postscript for hardcore Haruhi fans, though, that's on this topic: towards the very end of the book, when Kyon is talking to Yuki after the events of the dream in the club room ... Remember the part where he asks her if there are other lifeforms like her on Earth? (「けっこう。」 "Plenty.") And what would happen if another one of them were to go rogue like you-know-who and attack Kyon? (「だいじょうぶ。」 "Don't worry.") Yuki continues and says --

「あたしがさせない。」 "I won't let them."

It's one of the few times in the book she uses a topic word to identify herself, let alone forms a fully complete sentence that isn't one of her detailed explanations about her overlords. The point being, we get an uncharacteristically full sentence, and one with a personal pronoun to boot, when she assures Kyon that she won't let any harm come to him. d'awwww. )

Last edited by Talon87; 09-11-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime