UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #5326
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Have things changed enough that popping is good again? I mean, it wasn't too long ago that destruction period was an easy way to get your opponent to plus. That's the whole reason I switched to using BLS' banish effect over attacking with it.

By contrast, the Dark effect is good, as attacking the hand is the only way to prevent the opponent from fighting back.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #5327
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Popping is pretty good right now, the main thing you have to worry about is like, Knightmare Cereberus but that's it.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #5328
Emi

Lowkey the biggest issue with Dimensional Barrier right now is that it doesn't do anything to Link decks, meaning one of the most powerful and versatile traps now completely shuts down everything but one specific Extra deck method. There are people right now saying that Thunder Dragon will die off because of this.

Thank God for Red Reboot I suppose.

Last edited by Emi; 10-22-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: why did i call it d prison fuck me
Old 10-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #5329
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Saying the name "Dimensional Barrier" triggers me to vomit. Never utter it again!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #5330
Emi

If I say "Dimensional Barrier" three times what will happen?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 AM   #5331
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'll be forced to class change into Pyukumuku.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #5332
Emi

Why was the Beginning of the End printed??? Like it was even printed in the same set Dark Grepher and Armageddon Knight were in so it is not like Cards of Safe Return where Konami can go "Well we didn't know it would get this bad". (Actually, Dark Armed Dragon was in Phantom Darkness too. Huh.)

Like I know it is being used in the Danger! Dark World FTK and that's the big issue but even ignoring that, the card is super dumb in the deck especially considering you can just go into Azathot to prevent it from being Ash'd and I just.

Christ. Draw 3 is insane.

(Almost lost to the FTK because I held Ash to try and hit Curious but they make it with Azathot so )))))) The person ended up timing out though).
Old 11-02-2018, 01:00 AM   #5333
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was insanely hard to dump 7 Dark cards in the grave. More often than not, random dumping would lead to you losing key pieces of your strategy, either making them inaccessible in grave or in the banish zone. Beginning of the End couldn't be searched, and pulling it off three times meant that you'd have banished 15 Dark monsters. A monster-heavy deck would have 15 Dark Extra Deck monsters and maybe 20 main deck monsters...so you'd have had to dump 50%+ of your deck, and draw something worthwhile off the three copies of Beginning of the End you held.

Basically, it was a powerful, situational card, like many of the older ones. New cards that break older ones tend to do so by making them less situational.

I tried very hard to abuse this card. It was always a win-more, because by the time you can drop it you would have already made your broken field and there's nothing left in the deck that can bail you out if the opponent managers to break that field.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #5334
Emi

How do Lunalights out a battle indestructible, DARK monster effect turn off Chaofeng?

They don't. It's bullshit. God, I even Ash'd the Jiaotu, but he had Pillars and Creation (I even made fucking Borreload to just get told nope). What a bullshit card.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #5335
Emi

BORKED

Finally, I can actually desire to play the game again.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #5336
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu-Gi-Oh.com
Card Destruction - Limited
Super Polymerization - Limited
I WAS NOT INFORMED
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #5337
Emi

Yeah, they're both back and both are pretty good. Construct is still banned though.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #5338
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Now that hurts a bit. But I can do some serious damage with both Card Destruction and Super Poly.

Let's see...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #5339
Emi

I was going to make a joke about Dracossack and Galaxy Tomahawk and which one ended up aging better, but it turns out Galaxy Tomahawk wasn't released in the TCG until Primal Origin, more than a year after Lord of Tachyon Galaxy. It was around in the OCG but :/

I'm finally able to play with March 2013 Rulers again and...man has this deck aged. It would definitely be good with _current_ cards, but I'm just sitting here going "Yeah, I've done more in a turn with Altergeist" which is...strange.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #5340
phoopes
Double Dragon

Wait... Dragon Rulers are back? It's a Christmas miracle!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #5341
Emi

No I just have a version of YGOPro with AI duels. lol

EDIT: Tempest is at 1 in the OCG though!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #5342
phoopes
Double Dragon

Oh RIP. Also I didn't realize Dragon Rulers were over 5 years ago dear god where does the time go
Old 12-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #5343
Emi

Genuinely no clue, it's pretty crazy to think about how I've been playing this game for about 5 years.

On the flipside, I actually own cards now (and expensive ones too!).
Old 12-25-2018, 12:10 AM   #5344
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I looked over those old decks shortly before Links took over. I beat Dragon Rulers with my deck at the time and the last iteration (let alone the one with x3 ROTA) could do so as well. But then again, it's hardly fair: that was a deck from 2013, using 2013 cards, and I had stronger stuff from 3 years later.

I think the turning point was when Zoodiacs came into existence, TBH. At that point the power level was so juiced up you needed small Bibles to counter the text on some of these new cards. I look at the erosion of Effect Veiler's potency as a proxy for how badly the game has aged, and Veiler was still effective throughout much of the Pendulum era.

New Challengers - Shaddoll, Qliphort, Burning Abyss format
Secrets of Eternity - Necroz and Infernoids
Clash of Rebellions - Kozmo, Igknights
Dimension of Chaos - Majespectres

Everything between Dimension of Chaos to Raging Tempest (when Zoodiacs emerged) is a blur, because nothing was really strong enough I think to make an impact. Pendulums, on the whole, were a less memorable and less powerful era than XYZ, and part of the reason I think its XYZ was abusive from the very beginning to try and curb the power of the fully mature Synchro mechanic.

I had like a 90% win expectancy against Qliphorts after tapping in to Dark Law; otherwise, I only won against them like once. If I had been less stubborn about Super Poly, I could have had a good matchup against Shaddolls too.

Heck, even with the introduction of D-Barrier in Invasion: Vengeance, I was still able to hang on. Even with the nerfing of turn 1, I was able to adapt.

But no more. Even with Needlefiber, the heavens are no longer within reach.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #5345
Emi

In fairness, Pendulum had two surges of power in full power PePe and most recently, Pendulum Magicians with the release of Heavymetalfoes Electrumite (although this was more towards the beginning of the year).

Links have really sped up the powercreep of the game to the point where RATE Zoos aren't really as powerful anymore (they would still be pretty silly with all their stuff and modern cards though). They banned Firewall Dragon but Isolde, Topologic Gumblar Dragon and Summon Sorceress are all still very big.

Effect Veiler is still good in the OCG, but that's largely because its a Tuner version of Infinite Impermanence. It still loses to Called by the Grave though.

I think a bigger indicator of where Konami's card design went is True Draco. It was an interesting take on Tribute Summoning, but Master Peace backed by floodgates, Card of Demise, and Amano Iwato to stop handtraps was really not okay. Zoos were more like Prophecy; great looking but not really capable of doing anything if certain cards are hit (like Jowgen or Drident and Broadbull).
Old 12-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #5346
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had a good matchup inherently against Pendulums because Dark Law is a hard stop to the mechanic. I don't recall every being threatening that much against Peformapals provided I wasn't bricking.

As for Firewall Dragon, it wouldn't be threatening at all to me if not for the Link mechanic changes. That's why I have to be a bit skeptical about "power creep" now because Links reset a lot of things.

Funny thing about Zoodiacs, I don't think I ever played against them, but I did play against Ritual Beasts and I sometimes confuse the two (with Zoodiacs as the XYZ archetype). Ritual Beasts are what I think of as the super power creep because they can always use quick effects to dodge your cards, even non-targeting ones, and had ways of getting around banishment (like Kozmo). But D-Barrier was sudden, swift death for that deck, a main deck answer without needing to commit extra resources for something like Non-Fusion Zone.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #5347
Emi

Links hurt a lot of lower tier decks, but to be honest, it's also just served as a way for some decks to speed up. A deck like Gouki comes to mind even if the deck is still decent (largely because of Topologic Gumblar Dragon) without Firewall Dragon. SPYRALs is another great example of a deck that was helped a lot by Link summoning and the deck wasn't anywhere near full power when some of the better Links came out like the Knightmares. We all expected Links to slow down the game, especially when we saw how bad some of the first Link monsters were, but Links are just...really generic Synchros that almost no restrictions. As someone who played pretty consistently through the Link era, the power creep was pretty real.

Also, Rituals Beasts are still kind of funny because they weren't actually that broken. Konami did end up hitting them for whatever reason (Ulti-Kannahawk is at 1) but the deck only saw some mild success in one specific format in Europe and hasn't seen any play since. tellars has seen some play and Shaddolls have had entire new variants spring up in the mean time so /shrug
Old 12-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #5348
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

None of the decks you mentioned are archetypes from long before the Link era; maybe the appeared shortly before Links, but if that's the case I don't think it's fair to say they were boosted by Links. They were archetypes designed with at least Links in mind, as opposed to D-Barrier which was intended to kill everything before Links.

I don't think anyone thought Links would slow the game down. I point to what happened with XYZs for that. Dino Rabbit might look slow from today's perspective but it was fast and oppressive in its time, especially compared to the Synchro Plant decks that preceded it.

Ritual Beasts weren't broken if you had a monster with greater than 2800 attack, which I think the WIND dolphin had. But they were horrible design in that they could dodge almost all defensive stops and floodgates, and Ritual Beasts were a major factor in having me cave in and main Vanity's Emptiness.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #5349
Emi

SPYRALs debuted in the Dark Illusion, so I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.

Even if decks like Gouki were definitely Link era...it goes to show just how powerful a deck designed around this mechanic can be imo. Decks like Dino Rabbit, Inzektors, and Wind-Ups were designed around Xyz, and we remember how that format...existed.

Ritual Beast's weakness was that only the boss monsters could dodge, but the smaller monsters really weren't that amazing and did nothing on their own. I'd take a guess and say the reason why Ritual Beasts weren't good outside of Europe is the same reason Europe had Storm Towers Turbo Qliphoth; no Utopia the Lightning to stop the Fusions from bouncing.

I guess now if you want to see a deck with a similar playstyle you can just play against Thunder Dragons?
Old 12-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #5350
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I wouldn't say Dino Rabbit/Inzektors were designed around XYZ. Inzektors were like a Dragunity remake without the field spell, and their XYZs were win-moar cards, with Hornet and Dragonfly being the main power cards. Rescue Rabbit could, in theory, be used with Synchro, Ritual, and Fusion monsters, it was only because of the limitations of the card pool at the time that prevented creative usage. It was, afterall, a remake of Rescue Cat.

When I think of XYZ abuse, I think of Gaia Charger. Gaia Charger abused the XYZ mechanic less than a year after XYZ was introduced, and served as a precursor to bypassing XYZ restrictions like with spell summons and Chaos XYZ summons. In the entire vanilla Synchro Era, the only cards that did this were Synchro Change and Starlight Road, both with drawbacks and limitations. In the Fusion Era, you had Metamorphosis, Magical Scientist, both banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi
Ritual Beast's weakness was that only the boss monsters could dodge, but the smaller monsters really weren't that amazing and did nothing on their own. I'd take a guess and say the reason why Ritual Beasts weren't good outside of Europe is the same reason Europe had Storm Towers Turbo Qliphoth; no Utopia the Lightning to stop the Fusions from bouncing.
They had that dumb counter trap too. Actually, are counter traps even good anymore?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment