UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Day Z

Thought I made a thread about this already, I guess not.

Day Z is a mod for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead which pits you in a large open world map bigger than New York City and Boston combined, set in Russia. (seriously, look at this map.)

You start on a beach randomly with nothing but two cans of food, some bandages, painkillers, and a pistol with some ammo. Zombies have overrun the world, and because of the scarcity of food, ammo, and medical supplies, some players become bandits and kill others for their supplies.

When you die... you die for good. Unless of course, you reboot the server and start a new character, so there's nothing quite as frustrating as minding your own business after a two hour trek across the mountainous terrain when suddenly you fall over dead, a sniper bullet killing you before you even hear the sound of the gunfire.

Players will need to find shelter at night, start a campfire, feed themselves, and patch up any wounds. All players start at 12000 blood, and it does not regenerate. The only way to regain health is to find blood packs and have another player perform a blood transfusion on you. In order to ease pain so you don't shake so much, you will need to take morphine and pain killers, but make sure you don't get a fever.

And of course, zombies are always a threat. But the bigger threat is other players who want your stuff. So, one up them.

Find car parts, or helicopter parts with some friends, and then build them. It may sound easy, but you'll need to find tires, a body, an engine, gasoline, and more before you get it up and running, and finding the parts alone can take days.

It is the most frightening game I think I've ever played, I'm constantly on edge and scared that I'm being watched, and there is absolutely no one you can trust, save maybe your closest friends... but even then, you shouldn't. It also is the most realistic game I've ever played for the most part, although some things may be a bit exaggerated. But don't play this like other FPS games... one bullet is all it takes to kill you.

You'll need ARMA 2 and ARMA Operation Arrowhead both to play it, which are $29.99 on steam right now for the bundle.

You can check out the mod's website here, http://www.dayzmod.com

BORKED

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 06-09-2012 at 08:38 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Seems like it'd be fun to play with friends but no fun at all to play by oneself. Confirm/deny?

What did you mean when you said that if you die the only way to come back is to reboot the server and create a new character? Create a new character, fine, but reboot the server? Why is that necessary? and why would anyone allow you to reboot the server (and erase all of their players) just so you can re-roll? Not sure I'm following you there.

Trailer was pretty snazzy.

Would play if I had a system capable of running the software and the money to drop on said software. Seems like this is a must for anyone who is a fan of survival horror (I know a ton of people on UPN are) and who also likes Valve-style FPSes.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Seems like it'd be fun to play with friends but no fun at all to play by oneself. Confirm/deny?
I can't confirm or deny, I've spent my entire 4 hours of playtime thus far searching for my friends to group up. I've had fun alone, but I bet it would be more fun with friends to group up with.

Quote:
What did you mean when you said that if you die the only way to come back is to reboot the server and create a new character? Create a new character, fine, but reboot the server? Why is that necessary? and why would anyone allow you to reboot the server (and erase all of their players) just so you can re-roll? Not sure I'm following you there.
When you die, you can't continue. Reboot definitely wasn't the right word, you have to actually leave the server and re-join, and it will start you on a new character. Your position is also saved across all servers, so you can play on different servers with the same character in the spot you last played in.

Quote:
Would play if I had a system capable of running the software and the money to drop on said software. Seems like this is a must for anyone who is a fan of survival horror (I know a ton of people on UPN are) and who also likes Valve-style FPSes.
It's an older game, and while it looks polished, you can play it with toned down graphics.

This is most definitely *the* zombie game to play. As I said, it's by far easily the scariest game (the zombies are incredibly frightening, if only because your blood is precious enough that you need it, and because holy fuck they move as fast as lightning).

Last edited by deoxys; 06-09-2012 at 09:13 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I think a better idea for dying would be to become a zombie I would imagine it might get boring after an hour of watching everyone else play; what better way to get back at your killers than hunting them down and eating them as payback?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fast forward two months. Penny-Arcade makes a comic about Day Z and people are discussing it. I read some of the stories being passed around by people and particularly enjoyed this one, which I thought I would share and is the main reason behind this post.

However, there was a common theme to all the stories I read, including this one, and that seems to be that Day Z is somehow bad. I say "somehow" because no one seemed to quite agree on what the major problems with Day Z are. Is it the griefing? Is it the server inability to handle larger numbers of players at a time? Is it the perma-death? Is it the zombies' (apparently) quite poor A.I.? I don't know if "it" even really exists or if it's the same thing for all people, but it's clear that most people who pick up this game seem disgruntled with it in one form or another. Even today's Penny-Arcade comic was one which explored how stupid human behavior by others can ruin hours of your hard work. And if the comic was bad, the newspost is even more explicitly condemning:

Quote:
I feel confident saying that perhaps eighty percent of people going from zero to DayZ because they’ve come in contact with either a player with infectious enthusiasm or one of the viral videos that end up on news sites are going to play it a total of two times.
I was curious to know if you were in that 80 percent, deoxys. And I was curious to know if anyone else had given this game a whirl and what they thought of it.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thought I would add another tidbit. Saw this video yesterday. It seems to suggest that there is a serious problem with hackers in DayZ and that they can utterly cripple this game by teleporting people to the beach and killing them (whether by picking them off with sniper rifles or with some sort of "poison gas" hack that kills you within moments of spawning in, I don't know and couldn't really tell). The hackers then move in and loot the dead bodies of their gear while the players are left to re-roll entirely new characters. Rinse and repeat. After enough repetitions, who could possibly want to keep playing such a game? deoxys, did this ever happen to you guys?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
I've been wanting to give this a try, but the ration of bandits/friendlies seems heavily skewed towards making the Shore a damn meat grinder, if what I've seen is to be believed.

And by Friendlies I mean "They're bandits, too, they just offer a trade so they can get your ass in the open.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
GrJackass
Night Man

i didnt read the whole thread but, lemme know if a decent group is getting this, ill play if its 3 or more of us

i don't mind using a voice chat program. for those of you who are shy, i am more than willing to just give you orders over skype lol

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games