UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

South Park

Any other UPN South Park fans?

I friggin' love this show.

Incidentally, saw the air date for the next episode is 10/2, thought "aw damn that's a long ways away" then realized today's date and was thoroughly shocked.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't watched any new episodes in about 2-4 years (lost track), and I binged on it when being encouraged to give it a chance circa 2008, so my memory of what all I have and haven't seen is hazy, but yeah, I think I've seen 50%+ of the episodes from before 2009 and overall I enjoy(ed) the show. There are parts of episodes I don't like. There are entire episodes I don't like. But there are also some real, real gems. Among my favorites that I remember include:
  • the multi-parter where Cartman wants a Wii so badly he ends up freezing himself and being reawoken in the future; poking fun at militant theists and militant atheists both
  • the episode about smoking, where the boys meet Rob Reiner and go on a tour of a Willy Wonka-stylized tobacco factory
  • the "CHAAAAAAAAAANGE!" episode, where Stan's dad is really excited about voting for Obama
  • the "Somalian pirates we! " episode where Cartman, Butters, and Kyle's little brother become pirates
And there are lots of others too, but I don't remember them all off the top of my head. (Did just remember another amazing scene: the one from the episode poking fun at Disney marketing the Jonas Brothers to tween girls. The scene with Mr. Mouse ... CREEPY! Yet hilarious. )
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I haven't watched any new episodes in about 2-4 years (lost track), and I binged on it when being encouraged to give it a chance circa 2008, so my memory of what all I have and haven't seen is hazy, but yeah, I think I've seen 50%+ of the episodes from before 2009 and overall I enjoy(ed) the show. There are parts of episodes I don't like. There are entire episodes I don't like. But there are also some real, real gems. Among my favorites that I remember include:
  • the multi-parter where Cartman wants a Wii so badly he ends up freezing himself and being reawoken in the future; poking fun at militant theists and militant atheists both
  • the episode about smoking, where the boys meet Rob Reiner and go on a tour of a Willy Wonka-stylized tobacco factory
  • the "CHAAAAAAAAAANGE!" episode, where Stan's dad is really excited about voting for Obama
  • the "Somalian pirates we! " episode where Cartman, Butters, and Kyle's little brother become pirates
And there are lots of others too, but I don't remember them all off the top of my head. (Did just remember another amazing scene: the one from the episode poking fun at Disney marketing the Jonas Brothers to tween girls. The scene with Mr. Mouse ... CREEPY! Yet hilarious. )
All great episodes!

China Probrem, Overlogging, Fishsticks, The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs (I know, horrible title), Medicinal Fried Chicken, Creme Fraiche, Broadway Brodown, Cartman Finds Love, and Raising the Bar are all personal recommendations (from the stuff you probably haven't seen).

You're Getting Old and Assburgers are really great meta-episodes. Would definitely recommend.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Chinpokomon is an old classic
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I thought seasons 1-5 were great. It was before the creators tried to be "clever". The humor was simple, but it never felt forced, nor were they shamelessly advertising products.

My favorite episode is probably MECHA STREISANDO! That episode was amazing in so many god damn ways.
Getting gay with kids was good. Also the message they had about the rainforest was great too.
The first Christmas special was great. This wasn't in the first Christmas special, but Mr. Garrison's "Merry Fucking Christmas" song was awesome.

I also loved some of the mini shows they had. I loved Fat Abbot and Russel Crowe's Fightin' Around the World. Funny how they make douchebags like Russel Crowe and Brian Boitano look awesome. Russel Crow was interviewed about the episode and he said something along the lines of "They might have been talking about how I fought my way through life.". I wanted to punch the asshole after saying that.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

I enjoy South Park from time to time, but I haven't seen it in about 2 years now. The thing for me was I got to a point where I found myself watching the show but not laughing anymore. I feel like the show was possibly at its most clever point during the mid-2000s, but really started to decline around 2010. I just couldn't even really enjoy it anymore. Episodes became less about humor and more about "how much can we offend people in one episode" or "how many times can we get away with saying 'shit' or making toilet jokes". It stopped being cleverly tasteless and started being truly "tasteless". I don't know. It just feels like they should have stopped a while ago.

I particularly recall one episode where Randy and Sharon talk seriously, but it was supposed to be from Matt and Trey's perspective talking to the viewer. They talked about how ridiculous everything was and how "plot points" in the show doin't actually matter, and it just feels like they've hit their prime and that the show was going to fade away until people just forgot it was a thing. And really, I sort of agree with that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see South Park keep going and creatively finding ways to make fun of pop culture and world news, but the key word there is "creatively".

Meh.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I dunno. It's always been a satire. It's just that now the satire sticks less, which makes a fair bit of the humour fall flat.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Dunno guys. They have legit gems in every single season, which is more than most long-running TV shows can say. I think the show's most clever episodes have come out in the past 2-3 years.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Yeah I find that I like more recent episodes than the older ones, even though there are a few classics. I think part of it might be a temporal bias, since this show tends to be pretty topical, so we're more likely to find more current episodes funnier since the things they're parodying are fresher in our minds.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
China Probrem, Overlogging, Fishsticks, The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs (I know, horrible title), Medicinal Fried Chicken, Creme Fraiche, Broadway Brodown, Cartman Finds Love, and Raising the Bar are all personal recommendations (from the stuff you probably haven't seen).

You're Getting Old and Assburgers are really great meta-episodes. Would definitely recommend.
I'd already seen Fishsticks, but I'd forgotten so many of the specifics (like the part where they rip on joke stealer Carlos Mencia). Really sharply after that episode though, I didn't recognize *any* of the plot premises on the South Park website for the remaining episodes, so it's possible that Fishsticks was the last of the then-new episodes I've seen.

The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs, never seen before. The title's definitely a turnoff for me, but the premise so far's been really entertaining. The writers seem a bit too focused on poking fun at something all humans can relate to -- vomiting -- but things pick up again for me once the boys arrive at City Hall and try to convince the bureaucrats that the book was not written with any of the themes or metaphors people claim to strongly see in it.

Medicinal Fried Chicken, never seen before. Not really a fan of the marijuana half of the episode (though I do appreciate that they're making fun of the crazy idiots who would harm themselves just to become eligible for medicinal marijuana), but I appreciate that it's a necessary evil to bag me the other half of the episode, which is the spin on having something which is currently unhealthy for people but legal (KFC) being illegalized and becoming like marijuana was before recent years. The part where they visit KFC headquarters and it's portrayed like a cocaine mansion in Columbia was a nice touch.

That's enough South Park for now. Will see about watching more later.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I haven't liked South Park since it became political commentary focused. I tend to see the best episodes of a given season since they're the ones people would call attention to, but otherwise I'm not impressed with it anymore. Other comedians can slam politics in a funnier way, and are...less obnoxiously transparent about their views.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Wouldn't you prefer a person be upfront about their bias, rather than trying to conceal it?

And personally my favorite SP episodes are usually the ones that meta-commentary on TV or culture, or the show. Their political ones can still be funny, but I really prefer ones that call attention to how insane life is.

I'm not sure any other show does straight up satire as well as they do.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Eeeh, I liked the first few seasons better because I find current event humor annoying. The first seasons did a few current event stuff, but most of it was just random goofy fun. The creators weren't trying to catch people by making jokes about things that other people got. They used their imagination, and I personally think the first seasons were more creative.

Actually I think the first episode Matt Stone and Trey Parker mentioned that the show was getting stale was the Earth reality show episode. The just casually slipped in a "A show should never go past 100 episodes or else it'll get stale with ridiculous plotlines.", and had some ridiculous events going on.

Also with current event humor, you have tons of other comedy shows/comedians doing them. It's not as fresh if a show is joking about the same subject that everyone else is joking about.

The whole "preaching our morals" thing every episode is irritating too. They have Cartman being an asshole in some way that's "politically incorrect", and having the others fight against his wrong cause.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. The movie was magnificent.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Ah south park. Best episodes for me are

- 'Sarcastaball'... this episode is fucking hilarious
- The one with the hamster that goes on a journey through the police guys bum, and Mr Garrison tries to get fired
- The hilary clinton terrorist episode
- The quest to return the dirty video episode
- LETS GO LETS GO KICKASSU, SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING PROTECT MY BALLS

Series 16 was fantastic. Glad South Park didn't quite go down the potty and run out of material like Family Guy did.

Last edited by Midgeorge; 09-27-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Creme Fraiche ended up being way too gross. Didn't like it at all that Randy was masturbating right there in the same room as his son and three of his son's friends. While I appreciated the fun they poked at the Shake Weight, I expected it to be a one-minute gag, not an entire subplot in the episode. It was funnier when they were joking that Randy didn't find the ads the least bit erotic, but when they skipped to showing women at Home Depot all sampling Shake Weights -- as though Home Depot had become some sort of free-samples sex toy shop -- I felt the joke jumped the shark. By the time Sharon took one home and it "sprayed water" all over her, yeah, I was ready to retire the entire Shake Weight joke. Too bad for me I was only 7m38s into the episode. But capping off the gross-out factor is ...

Spoiler: show
the nagging suspicion, right from the very first time it showed up, that the "creme fraiche" was nothing more than Randy's ejaculate. So every time he'd spread it over something, it was like "Oh God. D: *hurl*" Not in a funny way either.

Funnybot seemed strangely familiar at first but very quickly proved to be another episode I've never seen before. (I know you didn't recommend this one but I checked it out because it seemed familiar from the teaser summary given and the first minute or two of footage.) It ended up being an okay episode, neither bad nor great.

Royal Pudding was worth, at most, half of an episode. Was almost torture having to sit through all of it. Another one I realize you didn't recommend, but I let it play a) out of morbid curiosity to see what an all-South-Park-Canadian episode would be like and b) because it was parodying the hysteria people had over the royal wedding and that caught me by surprise since the episode aired two years ago (May 11, 2011) and it feels to me like the royal wedding was just earlier this very year.

T.M.I. was up next thanks to auto-play, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me decide to go back to watching your recommendations. A decent episode, I guess, but largely a huge waste of my time. 25 minutes pretty much spent cracking the joke "Life's biggest assholes have tiny dicks which in turn are the source of their anger management issues."

Ass Burgers was the next one up chronologically out of the ones you listed. WHOA! When did that happen!?

Stan's parents got a divorce!? ................................. So much for the Shake Weight. What? ¬¬;

The episode overall was a decent enough parody of several pop culture references, most recognizably The Matrix, but overall I felt like this one wasn't that super of an episode either. And in the end ...

... I guess one reason I may not have heard that the Marshes got divorced was because they got right back together this very episode.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The China Probrem: while neither the plot teaser summary nor the opening few minutes seemed the least bit familiar, once we got to the bus stop scene I experienced my first bits of déjŕ vu. And then once we reached the theater, it was confirmed: definitely saw this episode back when it aired. No real need to watch on other than for the Cartman plot line, I guess, but I think I'll pass on that for now, especially since some quick skippings ahead reveal that so much of the episode focuses on the other plot line, the one I remember all too well.

For anyone who wants to be reminded of what that other plot line is ...

This is the episode famous for poking fun at how Steven Spielberg and George Lucas raped the Indiana Jones franchise with Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ... by depicting them literally raping the character Indiana Jones, again and again and again, each time more horrifying than the last.

Broadway Bro Down: This is probably one of the best South Park episodes I've ever seen and is definitely the best of the ones I've watched this week. Excellent recommendation, Amras. Funny, charming, and surprisingly timeless. (Yes, yes, while many of the specific references to things like Wicked or Spider-Man the Musical are dated to the late '00s / early '10s, the idea of musicals overall is a pretty darn old and enduring one in our modern culture.) The best part for me was definitely:

when Randy came home from the bro down and Sharon told Randy that Shelly had gone to see Wicked with the vegan boy, and then Randy flips out and he and Sharon drive to the musical to try and prevent Shelly from getting too brainwashed before it's too late. Good lord that was funny. Dad Mode activate!

The episode was honestly doing pretty damn excellently until one thing happened near the very end that dinged it a little for me. ^^;

Killing off the vegan kid like that is so, so very typical of Matt and Trey, but that doesn't change my mind that it was an unfortunate thing for them to do. It was nice that Shelly finally had a boy who liked her and who she liked back, and I thought the vegan kid subplot was kinda interesting. He would've been a nice addition to the cast. A shame to kill him off like this.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Glad you enjoyed some of my recommendations, Talon! "You're Getting Old" is the episode immediately before "Assburgers," and they are basically a two part episode, so Assburgers will make a lot more sense if you go back and watch "You're Getting Old."
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Cartman Finds Love: this was a pretty good episode. I would be able to like it more if Nicole were a permanent character, but judging from Matt and Trey's habits, I'm guessing she was a one-time character? This episode was surprisingly unoffensive until ...

... the part where Cartman beats Cupid Cartman to death with a baseball bat. That one brutal scene aside, the episode was one of the family friendliest as far as South Park episodes go!

I was really surprised by one thing though. Maybe this was addressed in another season of South Park.

I couldn't believe that Cartman would publicly claim to be gay and would pair himself off with Kyle when he's one of the most homophobic anti-Semites in the series. Since when did Eric Cartman become comfortable with people believing he was gay?

Raising the Bar: this was another enjoyable episode.

I wasn't too familiar with Honey Boo Boo before this episode but I was still able to piece together enough about her from the one time I saw Ellen DeGeneres mention her (before changing the channel) and from this episode that I got it just fine.

My favorite parts of the episode were the parts with James Cameron. Loved the song. "Can you hear the song?" "We can hear the song, James. -_-;" I thought it was a clever idea to have Cameron, renowned for his love of deep sea exploration and immense wealth, going on an expedition to the Abyss "raise the bar", not only proving that it really exists but also raising it to help raise the standards we as a society have. I also liked the social commentary in this regard. Circling back around to the Assburgers episode, I definitely understand where Kyle's Matrix acquaintances are coming from. And America's sick fascination with things like Honey Boo Boo is definitely emblematic of this problem.

I was actually surprised that you enjoyed the episode enough to recommend it to me given its sometimes cruel depiction of the morbidly obese. I kept thinking to myself that that was a credit to your tough skin and ability to appreciate good comedy. Sadly, I don't think the power scooter portion of the episode was all that funny. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as James Cameron or squeals-like-a-pig Honey Boo Boo.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Re Cartman Finds Love:

I think Cartman being fine with tricking everyone into thinking he is gay is totally in character because Cartman has always been shown to go to extraordinary lengths in order to get what he wants. It's also worth noting that he doesn't really face any social backlash from "coming out" in this episode because most of the characters on South Park aren't homophobic: coming out does damage to Kyle's relationships, furthers Cartman's own agenda, and doesn't really influence people's perception of him. It's win-win. There are also hints in earlier episodes that Cartman is sexually confused, not knowing who or what he likes, if he likes any gender at all. So for him this is just pure manipulation. I really like this episode too.

Re "Raising the Bar"
The James Cameron parts are my favorite as well. Agreed that the power scooter part wasn't very funny, but I saw it as a necessary way to tie together the inevitable Cartman/Honey Boo Boo fight and James Cameron storylines, so I thought it worked well.

I do think I have pretty thick skin for good comedy, especially when it comes from South Park, because I respect their work, but it's also worthwhile to point out that although I am morbidly obese, I am nowhere near power scooter obese. I'd already lost 60 lbs by the time this episode first aired, so I think maybe I didn't take it as personally. They also don't make a habit of cheap shots at the expense of obese people, which makes the power scooter plot come off as ridiculous more than cruel, I think.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Wouldn't you prefer a person be upfront about their bias, rather than trying to conceal it?
Very much the latter, because when I'm watching entertainment I don't want someone's opinions on the real world announced in a way that breaks the fourth wall. At that point, it ceases to be entertainment and becomes preaching.

For example, Cartman was based on Archie Bunker, who was played by Carroll O'Connor, a man famously known for views completely opposite the Bunker character. But you wouldn't know that from watching All in the Family by itself, nor would you have known what the writers for Bunker's character thought.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Re Cartman Finds Love:

I think Cartman being fine with tricking everyone into thinking he is gay is totally in character because Cartman has always been shown to go to extraordinary lengths in order to get what he wants. It's also worth noting that he doesn't really face any social backlash from "coming out" in this episode because most of the characters on South Park aren't homophobic: coming out does damage to Kyle's relationships, furthers Cartman's own agenda, and doesn't really influence people's perception of him. It's win-win. There are also hints in earlier episodes that Cartman is sexually confused, not knowing who or what he likes, if he likes any gender at all. So for him this is just pure manipulation. I really like this episode too.

Re "Raising the Bar"
The James Cameron parts are my favorite as well. Agreed that the power scooter part wasn't very funny, but I saw it as a necessary way to tie together the inevitable Cartman/Honey Boo Boo fight and James Cameron storylines, so I thought it worked well.

I do think I have pretty thick skin for good comedy, especially when it comes from South Park, because I respect their work, but it's also worthwhile to point out that although I am morbidly obese, I am nowhere near power scooter obese. I'd already lost 60 lbs by the time this episode first aired, so I think maybe I didn't take it as personally. They also don't make a habit of cheap shots at the expense of obese people, which makes the power scooter plot come off as ridiculous more than cruel, I think.
Response to Cartman's actions in Cartman Finds Love:

Cartman's own sexuality is not an answer to why he would present himself as a homosexual when he is supremely homophobic. You don't have to be straight to be homophobic: plenty of bullies in both real life and in fiction display rampant homophobia despite themselves being gay, bi, or sexually confused. That's all I'm saying: not "I can't believe Cartman would present himself as gay! Because his homophobia leads me to believe he's straight!" (false; if anything, his overly strong homophobia suggests he's a self-loathing homosexual) but instead "I can't believe Cartman would present himself as gay! He's always gaybashing in public!"

The rest of what you said is stuff I agree with, but I was still surprised by his actions for the reasons I've outlined.

Over Logging: had seen this years ago when it aired. Re-watched it. A pretty humorous parody of The Grapes of Wrath (with some Close Encounters of the Third Kind thrown in for good measure) but it goes one gross-out factor too far when listing off Randy's disgusting sexual fetishes. (I had the same complaint with the otherwise hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilarious Lord of the Rings episode.)

Super Fun Time: decided to watch this to see what it was. Instantly remembered watching it years ago. Decided to watch it again anyway because it was definitely better than most of the non-Amras-recommended episodes I watched this week.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

The newest South Park episode ("The Hobbit") is absolutely amazing.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
The newest South Park episode ("The Hobbit") is absolutely amazing.
Does it spoil the plot of The Hobbit?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I'm guessing it's a parody, so probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Does it spoil the plot of The Hobbit?
Are you referring to the book? It references the basic plotline, but doesn't really spoil much of anything at all. You basically just need to know what Hobbits do and need to know that they sometimes go on journeys.

The episode does assume you've seen an earlier episode of South Park for a small gag at the beginning of the episode - Fish Sticks (which is a great episode, and you should watch it).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment