Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #76
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Agreed.

Sorta reminded me of the S2 finale when
Spoiler: show
Rose got stuck in the parallel universe against her will

On the whole I thought it was a very well-done episode, though I wasn't as scared by the Angels as in Blink or The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone.

Shame they didn't do more with the Liberty Angel though. That could have been brilliant.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #77
deoxys
Fog Badge

I've had a bit of time to recover, and there have been a few gripes I've developed with the ending.

1. Evidently, the TARDIS going back to NYC to recover them would create a paradox so terrible it would destroy the city. So... why not just go back to a nearby area in that time and hitch it over to NYC in a car or plane and pick them up and bring them back? I've seen a lot of people discussing this, and no one has been able to successfully explain why this wouldn't be a possibility.

2. Why was Rory's death fixated on the grave stone (Hey guys, this is funny, look, my name is on this gravestone!) but Amy's didn't appear until after she chose to be taken by the angel? The argument was that Rory's death was already fixated in time by that point where Amy's wasn't, but in that case it creates a plot hole because Rory would not have been taken back in time and his name not put on the grave had he not stopped to point it out in the first place.

Other than that... I'm not sure I want to really watch Doctor Who past this. I liked
Oswyn in Asylum of the Daleks
, but I don't know if I can see her as a companion. Meh. I think I just really loved Amy and Rory and I'm pissed that they're gone.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #78
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

So, the series resumes tonight. Is anyone going to go 'BAWWW THE WRITING WAS TERRIBLE' this time around?

I hope not.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #79
Mercutio
Banned

*appears as if by magic*

But I'm gonna be at the theatre tonight so I'll not see it live.

I'm vaguely hopeful about the new series.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #80
deoxys
Fog Badge

But the writing was terrible for a few episodes of the first half of the season. Not to sound like a downer, I just didn't appreciate how it didn't feel as well thought out as it had in the past. Certainly. They were excellent ideas executed well, but as far as writing it felt so meh. Moffat is better than that.

That said, maybe a new companion and story arc is what he needed to grease his bearings. The Christmas special was pretty good, and Clara is a pretty good companion. So we'll see.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #81
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Yeah I can get what you mean. I've just seen others (not on UPN) in the fandom who bitch about every little thing rather than enjoying the show.

Anyway.

First episode was pretty awesome. Even though it was only the first (or second
or third
) episode, I enjoyed seeing the Doctor and Clara bounce off each other, I think it's going to be a good relationship for the coming series.

The motorbike was pretty excellent, and the new TARDIS interior is swish, since we didn't see much of it at Christmas.

Spoilers follow:

So. The Great Intelligence wasn't a one-off Christmas thing after all. Blimey. I get the feeling that this is going to be a new arc and that it'll pop up a few more times before being confronted personally by the Doctor. Shame Ian McKellen didn't return but oh well. I think it's nice that a lesser-known antagonist from all the way back in the Second Doctor's tenure is getting some more exposure.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #82
Mercutio
Banned

I am very confused about my feelings for this episode.

Pros: One liners were fantastic. Series arc (RICHARD E GRANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) looks like it is going to be really good. I'm not that familiar with the GI but it should be good. Episode main villain was fantastic (but I love the actress anyway). Cute but not overt references to Amelia Williams were good.

Cons: Oh good god stop saying "Doctor Who". And then making explicit reference to it and having the Doctor like it. God. Clara is basically Amy Pond 2.0, which would be sort of fine, except that they spectacularly over did Amy Pond 1.0. I mean in general I'm just bored of seeing the Doctor travelling with an attractive Caucasian female but this is just silly. Also why does this woman trust this man who appeared at her door dressed like a hobo and then was nearby when she awoke from what she would presumably view as being drugged and waking up in her bed. Which is frankly an awful example to set to children (along with talking to lonely men on swings, incidentally).

I... think?... I liked it?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #83
Mercutio
Banned

You know you take it too seriously when you saw Dr Who as a justification of the war on terror and of rising institutional secularism.

I need to get out more.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #84
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Man this new companion is just rubbish. Bring back Donna, or Amy&Rory, or even Martha (not Rose though).
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #85
Mercutio
Banned

She's a bit meh isn't she.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #86
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I was really hoping Victorian Clara would be the companion because she had instant chemistry with the Doctor. She made me really anticipate this upcoming batch of episodes.

I thought last night's episode would have given us more, but I think they really wanted to showcase the Ice Warrior more than give more about Clara's history and/or significance. I hope Clara doesn't get overshadowed by the awesomeness of the 50th anniversary. Maybe introducing a new companion this year wasn't the best move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Bring back ... Martha.
This. Though I have to admit, I don't know how she would work with Matt Smith's Doctor.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #87
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

So I plan on starting watching this show and see what all this is about. I have two options on Netflix: classic Dr. Who and modern Dr. Who that started in 05. Should I watch the old ones or am I ok with the newer one?

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #88
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

If it helps, I've never watched an episode of Doctor Who before '05. I've seen clips and enough to know what's going on, but never sat down and watched an episode all the way through.

So I think you're good from New Who.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #89
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Thanks Dave.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #90
Mercutio
Banned

Also the older series are much more about stories over multiple episodes. While new stuff has arcs, it is much more stand alone to a large degree.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #91
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Catching the classic episodes will also make you realize harmless lines are actually throwbacks to the past.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #92
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I just watched the first episode. I think I'm gonna like this doctor guy.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #93
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I keep waiting for Amy and Rory to show back up. Why haven't they come back? They always come back. Where have the good companions gone?
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #94
Mercutio
Banned

They've basically confirmed that they don't want to return. Which, while I don't particularly care for Clara, I think is a good thing.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #95
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I am in willful denial.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #96
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
This weeks episode was a fantastic display of what you can do when you have an honest to god writer doing it. Major kudos to Neil Gaiman.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #97
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Apparently you guys are in danger of being spoiled about the season finale? (Safe to click; BBC news article.)

Not sure if this is old news or not but I figured I should share it just so that those of you who really, really, really love your Doctor Who can try your best to avoid spoilers until the season finale airs.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #98
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
This weeks episode was a fantastic display of what you can do when you have an honest to god writer doing it. Major kudos to Neil Gaiman.
I agree with this until about the last ten minutes when it became lazy derivative drivel. But it was so so much better than last week's.

This season overall has been fairly mediocre imo, though my perspective is tainted by how little I care about Amy 2.0. Every scene she's in just bores me by her existence.

The news is hilarious, Talon. Useful time to not care for spoilers!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #99
Mercutio
Banned

Excellent.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #100
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>Literally just finished watching

what