UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #51
Selena
Aroma Lady

I was actually thinking of Australia aboriginal culture with the strange souvenir, well THAT and parental bond, we need more marsupials.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #52
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I was kinda hoping for South America.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #53
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

A source inside Nintendo has leaked to me personally that Roselina will make an appearance in Gen7. Team Galaxy will make an appearance in an attempt to abduct her and take her star powers. She then asks you to help her catch some strange star shaped Pokemon so she may continue on her journey. It is implied that they will use this to link the Pokemon world with that of Mario Galaxy.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #54
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

As long as there is a Pokémon that gets Sniper and Frost Breath and Rotom-S get Hurricane, I'm good.
Inb4 those are then only new things in gen7
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #55
brawlfan1
Pokemon Trainer

I'm kind of hoping there will a poison type legendary, they're the only ones who have only Arceus to turn to- after 6 generations it's high time the type gets something special.
brawlfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #56
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I disagree. It will be set inside of the internet, and the main region will be called "File Island". Once you collect four badges and defeat the evil team's boss, you return to the real world and collect four more, only to discover the evil boss transformed and you have to defeat him again. Then you can go back into the internet and face the elite four headed by Piedmon and the champion Apocalymon. Once you defeat him, you get placed in the hall of fame but will be forced to abandon your Pokemon team or you'll die and lose all of your data.

Just a guess, though.
If this happened, I'd pay an arm and a leg.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #57
Typhlosion157
Beat The Heat.

Gen 7.. I am feeling Pokémon +(Plus) and -(Minus).
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #58
Heather
Naga's Voice

What they need to do is make a neutral charge version of Plusle and Minun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #59
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

So... Pikachu?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #60
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
I hope Jynx gets an evolution, bringing her in line with Electabuzz and Magmortar.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
I hope Jynx gets an evolution, bringing her in line with Electabuzz and Magmortar.
You and me both. I cling to hope given that they passed her over for a Mega (since Megas seem to have been given to things for which Game Freak was like "We're not frickin' giving it an evolution proper ever, NOW LEAVE US ALONE! -_-;") but I despair too given what Megas as a whole seem to represent -- a desire on Game Freak's part to put the issue of later evolutions for past creatures to rest once and for all, relegating any and all such future evolutions to Mega Evolution slots.

I'll settle for a mega at this point but glumly. Really, really hoping she gets a proper evolution. It still baffles my mind that they gave ones to Electabuzz and Magmar but not Jynx that same generation seeing as the three have formed an unofficial trio since GSC.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #62
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'm of the pretty sure opinion that Gen 7 will take place in space and the legendary Pokemon will all be based of Reapers. Except they aren't.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #63
Loki

The legendaries will be the Old Ones? Awesome.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #64
Mercutio
Banned

Do you think that Mega Jynx would be more or less racially charged than original Jynx?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #65
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Do you think that Mega Jynx would be more or less racially charged than original Jynx?
There are several directions they can go with it, really.

The AgeJou Route: Many fans have alleged over the years (or continue to allege) that Jynx's design was inspired by the ganguro fashion trend of the late 1990s. Characterized by Japanese girls coloring their skin orangey-brown and dying their hair bleach blonde, the ganguro fashion trend was ultimately short lived. The argument goes that the evolution went something like this: kogal --> ganguro --> yamamba ---------> agejou. Sample photos: ganguro 1, ganguro 2, yamamba 1, yamamba 2, agejou 1, agejou 2.

<-- typical mental image of an agejou

As you can see, the agejou fashion trend is by no means racist. And since Jynx's official body color is purple now anyway, they can comfortably leave her purple (so as to not make an admission of guilt that, yes indeed, her skin color was a tie-in to blackface) while changing her clothes and hair style. Instead of the straight bleach blonde hair typical of the ganguro, they can go for the golden blonde curls associated with the agejou. Instead of giving Jynx a dumpy egg-shaped body, they can give her an hourglass figure. Basically, they can make her join the Gardevoir Club pretty damn easily via this route.

The Yeti/Yukionna/Mountain Woman Route: Many fans have alleged (or continue to allege) that Jynx's design was inspired by Japanese legends of mountain women. Note:
Quote:
Jynx from the media franchise Pokémon is said to be a reference to Yama-uba, with the same golden-white hair, red kimono, and prominent mouth. The dark skin could be attributed to the tendency in Noh theater to play the Yama-uba character in blackface. Jynx's unusual Ice/Psychic type may reference Yama-uba's typical location in icy mountains, as well as her supernatural powers and her consideration by some to be a spirit affecting the weather, namely winter weather. Also, Yama-uba is known to seduce her victims by dancing, which is often referenced by Jynx's Pokedex entries within Pokemon games.
The problem with playing up Jynx as a mountain woman though ... is the very fact that the yamamba fashion trend (see yamamba photos above) derives its name from these very same mountain women in Japanese folklore. But the solution can be found in simply not playing her up as a fashion yamamba and rather playing her up as a folklore yamamba: maybe make her hair more matted, maybe make her dress more tattered, maybe make her look scarier, etc. Not what I would want personally, but it's doable.

The Nordic Opera Woman Route: Obviously a lot of fans take one look at that dress and go "stereotypical opera dress." If Game Freak wants to go down the route that Jynx is the Viking Opera Pokémon, they could simply give her the stereotypical viking horned helmet, maybe put her hair in those stereotypical braids, and be done with it. Again, not personally what I'd be crazy about seeing, but it's doable.

The Yamamba Route: So back we come to fashion. Above, I argued that Game Freak would likely want to jump past the fashion trends of the '90s and early '00s more likely to be seen as racially insensitive and that they would happily leap to the agejou style since, whether or not it's associated with loose women, it at least looks pretty and doesn't seem to be racist in any way. But what if Game Freak were to instead fully embrace the notion that Jynx was inspired by ganguro fashion? Then it would make sense for her evolution to be a full-blown yamamba, white face paint and all. Why? A, because it was the immediate evolution from ganguro. And B, because it would be 100% in keeping with her dual identity as a mountain woman. The thing is, if Game Freak were to go down this route (and I don't think they have the balls to do so), every politically correct parent in the United States would be beating down their door with accusations of racism. So I really, really doubt we'd see this. But to be honest, I think it'd be a fun evolution that is culturally accurate / that is faithful to the history of Japanese fashion trends amongst this specific demographic.

Conclusion: they have options. Some are racially insensitive, others less so. Some concern themselves more with the idea that Jynx was inspired by a fashion trend; others look to her possible roots in Japanese folklore; and others still invite comparisons with opera singers. Whatever Game Freak decides to do, the one thing they can't do is blame Jynx's lack of an evolution on a lack of options.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #66
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I feel like agejou is a good reflection of what's popular and trendy in Japanese fashion right now (judging by television and anime, at least), so it'd be a reasonable progression to make. I sort of see there being a bit of a compromise between something agejou-inspired and a yukionna-ish creature that's a little less abstracted than Froslass.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #67
Yinreaper
Pokemon Trainer

I want a outer space one like Saturn and Neptune
Yinreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #68
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So ... I forget if we're using this thread as a forum for legit Gen 7 discussion or not. The Jynx discussions above prompted by Schaden and Kush saw me offering serious opinions, but obviously most of the replies to the thread so far have capitalized on the silliness of the first page's posts. I'm going to assume that we're using this thread for actual Gen 7 discussion for the time being, in which case ... here goes!

Reading the discussions on Nugget Bridge that have flooded in following the Worlds 2014 tournament, it has become clear to me that, as amazing as XY are with their single-player experience, there is a lot of room for improvement on the multiplayer front. I'll parrot a view of the most commonly-expressed viewpoints from over there, and offer a few of my own as well.

Year-round ladders for specific formats: This is probably the most common request I have seen the NBers voicing to TPCi employees. I didn't know this until recently, but apparently you can actually ladder in the official games. (Who knew!?) But what I also didn't know until recently is that these ladders don't stick around forever. And I don't simply mean that the scores reset -- I mean that the entire ladder vanishes as the format is apparently no longer supported going into the next season.

This surprises me. I would have thought that if there were a ladder for VGC supported in the games (and there apparently was) then it would've been something that stuck around all year long. However, what my shallow research has seemed to turn up is that the "VGC ladder" is really nothing more than occasional tournaments on Battle Spot that subscribe to VGC rules. (Click here for the list.) The 2014 April Friendly appears to have most closely resembled Smogon Ubers. (It just had a pentagon rule attached to it. But you could still bring Xerneas, Mewtwo, etc.) The 2014 May international challenge looks like it followed VGC 2014 rules. June saw a Singles tournament early in the month followed by a VGC tournament later in the month. Then there were a bunch of flavor tournaments, like an Eeveelutions-themed one, a legendaries-themed one, and a Doubles tournament that was almost VGC 2014 but for the facts that 1) there was no Team Preview and 2) you still only brought 3 out of 6 creatures, even though the format was Doubles. Maybe I'm mistaken and the VGC ladder is real and refers to something else besides the Battle Spot tournaments, but from what I've been able to find so far, that appears to be it.

If my understanding is correct, then I imagine that I know the reason why VGC ladders don't stick around year-round: they can't. As in, not with the current programming, they can't. The way Battle Spot was programmed, it probably only supports one format at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong and if you're free to sign in to whatever tournaments you like year round. But it doesn't sound like that's the case. It sounds like the tournaments only last for weeks, sometimes days at a time. And so once a VGC-themed tournament is rotated out for a non-VGC one, that's it: no more VGC ladder in the games until the next VGC-themed tournament arrives.

They need to fix this next generation. I doubt they'll fix it in time for ORAS, and I'm not even sure if it's something that can be fixed intra-generation with XY2 / Z. I'm guessing it'll have to wait until Gen 7. (Which is why I'm posting here! ) But they definitely need to fix it. Make it so that players, within the official games, can choose different formats to play in (we already have this) and make it so that every last one of these formats has a ladder (we do not have this afaik). It's not enough if only some of them have the ladder while others don't. You need to have a ladder for every last one of them if you want the formats to flourish. You can reset the ladder monthly, seasonally, annually, or never. (I think I'd suggest monthly, but seasonally is also attractive.) But resetting a ladder is different from flat out removing it. Don't remove it. Let a ladder be there so that people who want to ladder can and so that people can have some sense of who the best in the world are currently.

Better yet, make the ladder filterable. (Maybe it already is and I'm just an ignoramus since I haven't done much online stuff yet besides GTS trading.) Make it so that I can filter results based on player location at the very least. Also make it so that I can search for a player by username. If this is already supported, great. If not, make it supported.

Spectating: Another common suggestion the NBers provide is that the next games need to enable spectating. While our ability to save battle videos and upload them to the Internet is a step up from where we were in 2002, sure, it would be nice to be able to watch games live as well, especially games in which friends or celebrities are involved. At best, let us search for matches to spectate with a broad list of parameters. At worst, let us search by entering in a match-specific code that one of the two participants has shared with us (or with the public) before the game begins.

I think it would be pretty cool if the A.I. were able to intelligently assess how many people are spectating at the start of the match. And if, based on this, it generated you and your opponent in different locations depending on the headcount:
  • 5 or fewer spectators: a knoll in a grassy field with a single tree on it.
  • 6 to 300 spectators: a small Pokémon gym whose interior resembles Brock's or Roxanne's
  • 301 to 1000 spectators: a large Pokémon gym whose interior resembles one of the larger gyms in the franchise, one which might conceivably have large amounts of seating
  • 1001 or more spectators: a League stadium
It would determine the stadium you go in once the battle begins. Fluctuations in the viewer count wouldn't have any effect after that point. It's just meant as a flavorful thing to try and pump both the participants and the spectators up. Grassy knoll and you're watching? You feel like you're one of the privileged few. League stadium and you're watching? Fuck yeah, feels like you're watching two heavyweights going at it.

Typing with friends: Okay, seriously, Game Freak. Seriously, Nintendo. I know you're worried about child predation. And I'm happy that you take it as seriously as you do. But it's fucking ridiculous that I can't so much as tweet to uhhhhh when he challenges me to a battle, "Can't right now. Hatching eggs at Frost Cavern. No Battle Box. " Or that I can't tell an Acquaintance who gifts me an O-Power, "Can't return favor right now. Out of O-Power juice! Sorry! " If you want to veto my ability to communicate such messages to acquaintances, fine [/compromise], but the policy on not allowing actual friends to communicate has got to go. If a child is going to let a child predator onto his friend list and the child predator is going to use typed messages to take advantage of the child, as horrible as that is, I'm sorry but it was going to happen anyway any number of other ways on the Internet. YouTube comments. Skype. Serebii forums. Text messages on birthday gift iPhones. Kids are already plugged into the Internet fifty different ways these days. Blocking access at the level of the 3DS is inconveniencing millions for the possible sake of dozens. I am happy that those dozens are being saved. But I'm not even convinced that they are, given all of the other ways they're able to fall into the trap and given that, by definition of their capacity to fall into the trap via the 3DS, they share that same capacity to fall into the trap in other media.

Long. story. fucking. short, please let us exchange brief custom messages with friends. If you want to continue to censor swear words, be my guest. If you want to restrict us to 140-character tweets, be my guest. Just let us speak to one another. You already allow it via microphone ANYWAY (with Friends), so why not allow it with typing too!?

Other message lengths: The message length on things like the GTS, profile statuses, etc. have got to be bumped up for English speakers (amongst others). There is too much power in Japanese to be able to say a boatload more than you can intelligibly in English with the same character limits. I go onto the GTS and, in Japanese, the Japanese players get to broadcast crap like, paraphrasing into English, "5V no Attack, Timid, Hidden Ability, Egg Moves; looking for shiny 4V or better please." I can at best squeeze half of that in into my English messages. I'll type "5V,HA,EM,Adamant" and that's every character slot taken. Fans understand that HA stands for Hidden Ability, that EM stands for Egg Move, etc. But I can't communicate that and the fact that I'm looking for a 4V or better. Or that I'm looking for a shiny. Or that I only want bred things. The Japanese can. And it's unfair. It's just stupid, Glorious Nippon-centric favoritism on your guys' part that you know this fact and yet designed it this way anyway. And it will continue to be nationalist favoritism on your part until you take steps to fix it. If you want the Japanese kiddos to not make their messages too long so you're limiting them to sixteen character slots, fine. Don't fucking limit us to the same. Limit Americans to like forty character slots. It will even the playing field.

Typing in other alphabets: I HAVE NO IDEA WHY YOU DON'T ALLOW THIS. Please allow me to type in Japanese to Japanese people I have traded with. Please allow me to initiate a trade with a Japanese acquaintance and write, "キバゴがほしい" ("I want an Axew") or something. Please allow me to change my profile status message to "5Vピチュいっぱいある" ("I've got lots of 5V Pichu"). Why am I restricted to typing in the Latin alphabet? Especially when you don't restrict your own to typing in Japanese characters only? Again: bullshit double standards that I hate. Quit kidding yourselves that the rest of the world is too fucking stupid and that only Japanese kids would have any need for bilingual support. If you think it's worth giving a dumb Japanese 8-year old the ability to type "I WANT PICHU," then it's worth giving our dumb 8-year olds the ability to type いろちがい or 色違い (their term for shiny Pokémon) to try and reach out to Japanese players who have boxes full of the stuff.

Long post is long. I'll wrap this one up here for now. Can add more wishlist entities later.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #69
Loki

THIS IS ABOUT BASELESS SPECULATION!

STOP USING LOGIC AND REASON TO DEMAND FEATURES YOU WANT!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #70
Heather
Naga's Voice

Talon: You make plenty of points that I would myself. However, I don't want to sound rude, but you might want to have a TL; DR at the ends of your longer posts. I have no problem reading them but I know that some unnamed others aren't so inclined, and its kind of a waste of your effort to put all that together and have no one even glance at it, so a short summary for those folks would do nicely. Again, not trying to be rude but you make good points and I'd rather them not fall on deaf ears.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #71
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
Talon: You make plenty of points that I would myself. However, I don't want to sound rude, but you might want to have a TL; DR at the ends of your longer posts. I have no problem reading them but I know that some unnamed others aren't so inclined, and its kind of a waste of your effort to put all that together and have no one even glance at it, so a short summary for those folks would do nicely. Again, not trying to be rude but you make good points and I'd rather them not fall on deaf ears.
That's what the section headers are for. If someone doesn't have the time or interest to read five pink sentence fragments to get a general gist of what I have to say, then it makes no difference whether the meat is 30 lines long or 300.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #72
Heather
Naga's Voice

I guess that works too. Whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Old 08-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #73
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I like the idea of being able to communicate in other languages.

Personally I'd like to see more of the Global Link style multiplayer where two to twelve people could just dick around and have fun. The messier the better. Nintendo has the tools to make this game more social on a local level and they have been doing it with the WiiU and stuff, but X/Y aren't as fun in terms of multiplayer. Crazy minigames. Weird modes and styles. Silliness. They did a good job of it with Nintendoland and similar but I just didn't see it happening in XY.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #74
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

First of all, games like Nintendoland are games in an of themselves, minigame collections, asking designers to add that in on top of their workload is kinda... Ridiculous. This is the generation we got 3D Models, afterall.

That said, the Global Link in Platinum was fabulous and I want that back~
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 AM   #75
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Refresh my memory here, the Global Link in Platinum was the one where you could ride in those floats at the end, right? With all the fireworks or stuff? *excited fidgeting*

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON