UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #51
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I couldn't get more than 40 pages into Fellowship - intense brainache set in from so much of ye olde scripte and long-windedness. I'm sure they're great books (and I loved the movies) but yeah... just couldn't hack it ;;

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari
Spoiler: show

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #52
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I put Fellowship down two-thirds of the way through. I put Two Towers down even sooner, I forget how soon, and I ended up never even touching Return of the King. The films were just so much better imo. Blasphemy to the fantasy junkies, I'm sure, but Tolkien spends sooooooooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime talking about minutiae it drives one crazy.
Gotta agree with you here, it does get really bogged down with unnecessary detail. Mainly to show off his mad worldbuilding.

Interesting fact of the day - one of my favourite pubs has a sign in it along the lines of "this was Tolkein and CS Lewis's favourite watering hole" (as part of a literary club, the Inklings, that met there regularly).

In more on topic news, I've just recently started reading A Game of Thrones on the recommendation of a friend. Really quite enjoying it so far, about 200 pages in.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #53
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've wanted to start that series for quite some time but (a) I can't seem to find copies of the large hardback books in stores anymore and more importantly (b) I'm holding myself off until he finishes the series. What was the newest book he released? 5 of 7? 6 of 7?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The Fellowship of the Ring was by far my favourite of Tolkien's books, >The Hobbit and the rest of the trilogy, too.

It's a pretty rare opinion, but not uncommon among people who played Interplay's The Lord of the Rings CD game from 1990. I first played in in 1997 when I was ten and the game seven years old - most people in this era wouldn't even sniff a game so ancient. But I tried it, and was utterly blown away.

The game was RIDICULOUSLY high quality and engrossing, capturing the imagination, and the Fellowship became a reference Bible for finding all of the cool stuff in the game. In my twenty three years of life, the only RPG that rivals LOTR's quality is Baldur's Gate, and really, the only edge I could distinctly give BG is its combat system. And this game came out in 1990!

LOTR was open ended, first off. I guess you could even call it the first exploration oriented computer RPG ever. Sure, one could follow the LOTR storyline, but it wasn't mandatory. The Shire was full of its own history, people, quirks, items, etc. So was the Old Forest. The Barrow Downs. Bree, Weathertop, Rivendell, Redhorn Pass, Moria, Lothlorien, and Dol Gulder. INCREDIBLE detail and quality, just like a pen and paper RPG, but with the rich Tolkein lore weaved into the story.

Top Games ever:

Tie Fighter
Lord of the Rings CD
Baldur's Gate
Rayman
One Must Fall 2097
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #55
GrJackass
Night Man

Some books I’ve been reading that I’m willing to recommend are:

Old Man’s War : one of my favorite sci fi fantasy books. Its got good humor, great characters and it creates such a complete world. Basic story is that humans can travel in space but the “army” involved with the space exploration is privatized and any knowledge of it on earth Is very minimal due to some illness that sterilized a 10th of the population which started a quarantine. All anyone knows on earth is that you can join the army when your 75 years old and you get to space using a tethered elevator that baffles earth scientists on how it even operates and it goes on from there. Great author John Scalzi who also wrote Agent to the Stars and Androids Dream and recently came out with Fuzzy Nation.

Machine of Death : if you haven’t heard about this already its based off a comic from “dinosaur comics” about a machine that predicts your death with just a blood sample, doesn’t tell you how, doesn’t tell you when and it is infallible. It can be vauge at times which leads to misunderstandings and whatnot. It’s a collection of 30 or so short stories running on this premise and its amazing how many viewpoints there are on this subject. And surprisingly not repetitive as one would assume at all. Most stories don't even involve someone dying. One of the stories involves just how high school clicks turn into what your card is; another one is about a writer for an infomercial company trying to sell this product alongside a George forman grill and so on. Definitely worth checking out.

Taltos Series: probably heard about this one since it comes Kuno approved. In a series of over 10 books it’s kind of hard to condense it, but the basic story takes place in a medievalish city filled with dragerians (elves) that live about 3000 years and the main character (who’s human) breaks into the city’s organized crime syndicate. Dealing with gambling, prostitution, sending someone a message or even the occasional assassination and how Taltos has to deal with the powers that be in the most elaborate way possible. Very good humor, great ensemble cast, very elaborate story lines and the history and mythology of drageria and its people is actually very vast but interesting and goes into heavy detail in the “phoenix guards” series that takes place 1000 years before the taltos series. I know im not really doing the seires justice with this description but I also don’t want to write a 20 page essay about just how awesome this series is. If you read this I suggest doing some research online and reading it in chronological storyline order, it just makes things easier because the author likes to jump around with the timeline.

World War Z: Picked this book up out of pure curiosity but was pleasantly surprised, basically the book takes place 10 years after the end of the war, interviewing people of all walks of life and different parts of the governments from around the world and how they dealt with the initial breakout, the restructuring of civilization and finally the push to victory. It’s very well thought out and interesting and flows into quite a good story.

Mercury Falls: fun and quick read, basic story is the apocalypse is upon us and how a woman who investigates false prophets gets mixed up in all of it. Not really much to say about this one, it just has a quirky sense of humor that kept me laughing throughout the entire book.

Last edited by GrJackass; 07-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #56
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Top Games ever:

Tie Fighter
TIE Fighter was the best thing to come out of the Star Wars franchise, IMO.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #57
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Am I the only one who likes "The Divine Comedy" series and "Paradise Lost"?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #58
S_M
Volcano Badge

Send a message via AIM to S_M
I'd like to read both but never got around to it really.
156 KOs - 376 TP - 10.75 SP
S_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #59
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocharizard55 View Post
Am I the only one who likes "The Divine Comedy" series and "Paradise Lost"?
Inferno was all right, but purgatory and paradise were boring as hell, IMO.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #60
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Inferno was my favorite of the three, by far.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #61
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I have a huge booklist for this summer that won't get done.

I found Tolkien excellent but long the first time I read his work (in the 6th grade), but now that I'm much older I'm finding that I really enjoy the minute details. Probably because I'm a philosophy and history guy. Same reason I'm liking Dante so far.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #62
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
Finished reading "1984" anot too long ago. An excellent book, I must say, suspense and lots of drama. The story in itself is excellent, and it demonstrates to be very advanced for the time it was written.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #63
GrJackass
Night Man

watched the show on HBO, currently halfway through the book...
if you people dont start reading game of thrones ill find you all individually and start beating you with an extention cord
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #64
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KratosAurion View Post
Finished reading "1984" anot too long ago. An excellent book, I must say, suspense and lots of drama. The story in itself is excellent, and it demonstrates to be very advanced for the time it was written.
An amazing book and one of my favorites. A must-read.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #65
GrJackass
Night Man

Ok, i didnt read this book yet, but im listening to a radio interview with the author and this book sounds ASTOUNDING.

from the author who wrote the social network and bringing down the house (the movie was 21)

he just released this book called "sex on the moon". based on a true story about a young nasa upstart who was going to be an astronaught, falls in love with this girl and decides to impress her by stealing moon rocks from nasa and having sex on them lol. he ended up doing 7 and a half years in prison and came out and immediatly contacted the author.

my favorite part i heard about was that after he loaded the truck with moon rocks his getaway was only going 5 miles an hour otherwise he'd be immediatly be pulled over.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #66
Pearl's Perap
Ca-caw!

Jellicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
An amazing book and one of my favorites. A must-read.
I can vouch for that, 1984 is one of my favourite books.

I've recently re-read The Great Gatsby, my all-time favourite book. I also picked up Watership Down and The Island of Dr. Moreau, both of which I would thoroughly recommend :3
Pearl's Perap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #67
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
In more on topic news, I've just recently started reading A Game of Thrones on the recommendation of a friend. Really quite enjoying it so far, about 200 pages in.

you shall be spared during the extention cord apocalypse
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #68
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

So far this thread seems to be ITT: Stuff we read in HS.

Stuff I like:

Wheel of Time (nothing like a 800-1k page 14 book series)
Taltos Series (awesome and hilarious)
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (guy that wrote Fight Club)

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #69
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post

Stuff I like:

Wheel of Time (nothing like a 800-1k page 14 book series)
Taltos Series (awesome and hilarious)
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (guy that wrote Fight Club)
WoT is alright. I got as far as Crown of Swords when I had literally nothing else to do for a couple months. Robert Jordan has a breast obsession though, it has to be said.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #70
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

If we're talking about books we read in HS, my favorite was Life of Pi. Anyone here read it?
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #71
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Robert Jordan has a breast obsession though, it has to be said.
Huh? In what way? o_O

Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #72
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
In the sense that he loves the tatas?

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #73
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Huh? In what way? o_O
In the sense that he goes out of his way to mention them at least every other page, unless there aren't any female characters around, and even that doesn't always stop him (especially if Rand's around and is wangsting over his various women). Half the book time Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene get could be cut if he stopped.

Last edited by Concept; 08-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #74
Lady Kuno

I never noticed that. Although I did see an renditions of the WoT characters and a lot of the chicks ranged from super hot to really cute. But characters like Elayne are supposed to be smokin' hot. Although I don't remember it being mentioned in as much detail as you say it is.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #75
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Ironically, I didn't read many of the books I "read" in high school, I just used Pink Monkey or some other site to get the distilled information.

Couldn't stand the neurotic writing from some novels by troubled authors, particularly Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. I also got jarred by how novels I felt pretty highly of were considered only suitable for "high school students".

I think aside from Artemis Fowl, I haven't literally read a novel like that in years.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment